Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:53 pm

lml09 wrote:At least the picnic is not required! People will be bringing their spouses, children and SOs and I have none of those things! I would feel super awkward.

Big LOL. That's the one thing that appealed to me.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:55 pm

kalvano wrote:
lml09 wrote:At least the picnic is not required! People will be bringing their spouses, children and SOs and I have none of those things! I would feel super awkward.

I mean, I like picnics and all, but not on the first day of orientation when I don't know anyone. I just had a vision of myself sitting at the end of the table eating a cheeseburger while everyone else introduced their SOs to each other and formed study groups. Like I said, I'm super shy, especially at these types of things.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:00 pm

lml09 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I mean, I like picnics and all, but not on the first day of orientation when I don't know anyone. I just had a vision of myself sitting at the end of the table eating a cheeseburger while everyone else introduced their SOs to each other and formed study groups. Like I said, I'm super shy, especially at these types of things.

I'm not really a people-lover (big surprise, huh?), but it's a nice way to meet people. Find me and I will do your introductions for you.

"Hello! Meet my friend, Guy Buttersnaps! He loves Wopner at 5:00! Won't you be his friend?"

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
lml09 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I'm not really a people-lover (big surprise, huh?), but it's a nice way to meet people. Find me and I will do your introductions for you.

"Hello! Meet my friend, Guy Buttersnaps! He loves Wopner at 5:00! Won't you be his friend?"

Excellent! Except I'm a girl, so Lady Buttersnaps. People will be lining up to be my friend!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 pm

lml09 wrote:Excellent! Except I'm a girl, so Lady Buttersnaps. People will be lining up to be my friend!

Oh, nevermind. Girls have cooties so I don't talk to them.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 pm

kalvano wrote:
lml09 wrote:Excellent! Except I'm a girl, so Lady Buttersnaps. People will be lining up to be my friend!

Oh, nevermind. Girls have cooties so I don't talk to them.

Drat.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Although I do believe there should be some sort of TLS meet-up a couple days before orientation and such. It's always easier to do new stuff if you kind-of know some of the people already.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 pm

kalvano wrote:Although I do believe there should be some sort of TLS meet-up a couple days before orientation and such. It's always easier to do new stuff if you kind-of know some of the people already.

I'm in!

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:17 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
kalvano wrote:Although I do believe there should be some sort of TLS meet-up a couple days before orientation and such. It's always easier to do new stuff if you kind-of know some of the people already.

I'm in!

I'm in too. I've temporarily given up alcohol (have not drunk anything since the night my first lsat score came out in June) and plan on ending this hiatus as soon as I get to Winston Salem.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:18 am

lml09 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I'm a single female too, so we can hang together. :lol: I'm shy when meeting new people, but am talkative once I get to know them. I just try to force myself during these types of things. (Even though in my head I'm thinking "why the heck did you say that...that was stupid". :oops: Haha!)

I would definitely be up for getting together before orientation. I'm moving over on August 1st.

fenwicker

Postby fenwicker » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:23 am

Hi...does anyone have any info about nice areas around winston-salem (to live)? Returning stateside after living in London and I don't know the winston-salem area at all. I was wondering if there were any good alternatives to living in an apartment complex...i like a place with a little more character. Any help would be great! I am getting so excited about moving back to the states and going back to school!x

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Now there is a little more pep in this threads step. :mrgreen: Time to catch up:

-About the community service, I agree with those who said it shouldnt be mandatory. I did something similar with the team I coached last year, but made it optional. Everyone who could show up did because they realized that in additional to learning selflessness (they are hs kids), it a great way to bond as a team. So while I think community service is awesome and I think I will enjoy what WF has planned, forcing people who arent in the right mindset can make it unpleasant.

-A pic for a facebook page? really?

-I like picnics if the weather and food is good. I find it amusing because during my orientation for ug at a rich, white, private school on the opposite coast, we had a picnic on campus. It was lovely.

-Finally, im down for meeting up before orientation starts. Ill be moving in with my newly minted wife the weekend of Aug 1.

whew, anything I missed?

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:03 pm

I am totally in.

lml09 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

I'm in!

I'm in too. I've temporarily given up alcohol (have not drunk anything since the night my first lsat score came out in June) and plan on ending this hiatus as soon as I get to Winston Salem.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Why is everyone freaking out about this facebook page? Who cares? I actually think its a good idea to get to know people, blah, blah, blah.

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:30 pm

From someone who's lived through this:

They are using "facebook page" not is terms of the Facebook we know. It's just for a database of pictures, which is actually really helpful for identification purposes the first year. And professors print the pics off for seating charts, that's it.

And of course they can't force you to volunteer. It's optional, but recommended. I thought it was a really nice bonding experience though and a good opportunity to get to know your classmates. Plus it takes all of two-three hours.

Not-A-Teabagger

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:43 pm

h
Last edited by Not-A-Teabagger on Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

park22

Postby park22 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:50 pm

just checked my status, mine hasn't changed from the original date. what are your numbers?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:53 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:From someone who's lived through this:

They are using "facebook page" not is terms of the Facebook we know. It's just for a database of pictures, which is actually really helpful for identification purposes the first year. And professors print the pics off for seating charts, that's it.

And of course they can't force you to volunteer. It's optional, but recommended. I thought it was a really nice bonding experience though and a good opportunity to get to know your classmates. Plus it takes all of two-three hours.

Thanks for the clarification. It's nice to have someone who has actually been through this and knows what she's talking about.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:42 pm

kalvano wrote:
traehekat wrote:I hate anti-virus software, it just slows your computer down.

I use AVG. It takes no system resources and is free, no license required.

I think this website irritates me because it's like being in high school, all the little requirements laid out. I'm a thinking, functioning adult whose managed his own life pretty well for 30 years. I think I can handle my computer just fine, and if I wanted to be on Facebook, I would have joined it.

The anti-virus thing isnt for you. Its for them. They don't want someone with a comp full of viruses logging into thier system. Makes sense to me.

reecje5

Postby reecje5 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Hey,

I have not read the past 90 pages but I have the general idea that most people here are unfamiliar with Wake Forest and the Winston area. I will be a double deac and grew up in Winston so I hopefully can answer any questions relating to the campus or Winston

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Wake just sent me a WFU law school blanket via snail mail!!! They're so sweet, I love blankets!

I assume the rest of you will be getting yours shortly. :D

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:46 pm

one of the adcoms admitted to lurking in this thread. Didn't you express interest in a blanket?

Maybe she knows who you are.

(O.o)

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Oh and since people seem to be getting what they ask for... please up my scholarship, or else I'm going to end up at UGA :(

Me and SO just don't have the money :cry:

lml09

Postby lml09 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:one of the adcoms admitted to lurking in this thread. Didn't you express interest in a blanket?

Maybe she knows who you are.

(O.o)

That thought did occur to me since I was covetting traehekat's blanket a couple pages back, but my numbers on here and lsn are slightly fudged so if they managed to figure me out I would be impressed.

Anyways, Wake adcomms, I love you! Scholarship money?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:one of the adcoms admitted to lurking in this thread.

Attention lurking adcom.

I actually love enforced community service, Facebook, and having my computing skills being checked on. I think it's fantastic and a wonderful idea.

Also, blankets are cool. Very cool.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”