Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
moandersen

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:03 pm

klussy wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:Anyone heard from Wake regarding scholarship increases yet? They told me they'd get back to me in a week...about 3-4 weeks ago.

LOL. With 165/3.5 I was expecting 18-22k/yr and didn't get anything. I requested consideration for a scholarship in light of offers from other higher ranked schools and Ms. Nutt said she could do 10k a year :roll: This was a top choice going in, but after getting a lower amt. than everyone else with my numbers, even much lower #s, there's no way I would accept that offer. White forest indeed :?

wow, that stinks. A least you got a response though and can move on. I think a couple people (including myself) have sent emails a while ago and have heard nothing back. Im sure they are busy, but some confirmation that they at least read the emails would be nice.....

I got the email about the new student website as well. Some helpful information there.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:35 pm

tstyler98 wrote:Just got the e-mail with the New Students website (http://newstudents.law.wfu.edu/). That'll give us something to talk about.

Just received it as well. Not too much information on the site though (at least not much new that we didn't already know). At least it's better than nothing.

owt

Postby owt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:12 pm

The webpage mentions a deposit which is due in June. Is this a 2nd deposit or the first one which was required earlier this month?

Ben2010

Postby Ben2010 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:29 pm

To those who got the e-mail today, did it say "waitlist" or "held"? Does it even make much difference?

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:05 pm

Off the new student website...

And Wednesday and Thursday of Orientation Week are devoted to community service. In the past, students have helped the local Habitat for Humanity build the foundations for new homes going up near the university. Because at Wake Forest, law school is more than learning about the law. It’s about learning how to be a citizen lawyer.

Very cool. :)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:53 pm

lml09 wrote:Off the new student website...

And Wednesday and Thursday of Orientation Week are devoted to community service. In the past, students have helped the local Habitat for Humanity build the foundations for new homes going up near the university. Because at Wake Forest, law school is more than learning about the law. It’s about learning how to be a citizen lawyer.

Definitely happy to hear this!

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:55 pm

owt wrote:The webpage mentions a deposit which is due in June. Is this a 2nd deposit or the first one which was required earlier this month?

It is a 2nd deposit. Also for $300, I believe.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:57 pm

traehekat wrote:
lml09 wrote:Off the new student website...

Definitely happy to hear this!

I am excited for this. A great bonding experience for each section, and we get to do some good. :D

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:03 pm

moandersen wrote:
klussy wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:Anyone heard from Wake regarding scholarship increases yet? They told me they'd get back to me in a week...about 3-4 weeks ago.

LOL. With 165/3.5 I was expecting 18-22k/yr and didn't get anything. I requested consideration for a scholarship in light of offers from other higher ranked schools and Ms. Nutt said she could do 10k a year :roll: This was a top choice going in, but after getting a lower amt. than everyone else with my numbers, even much lower #s, there's no way I would accept that offer. White forest indeed :?

wow, that stinks. A least you got a response though and can move on. I think a couple people (including myself) have sent emails a while ago and have heard nothing back. Im sure they are busy, but some confirmation that they at least read the emails would be nice.....

I got the email about the new student website as well. Some helpful information there.

I dont think it has anything to do with being white forest.

Let me guess, you sent in your application late in the cycle?

klussy

Postby klussy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:13 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
moandersen wrote:
klussy wrote:

I dont think it has anything to do with being white forest.

Let me guess, you sent in your application late in the cycle?

sorry, meant that comment as a joke...yeah it was later due to the Dec. LSAT.

...and lol @ citizen lawyer...sounds like they stole W&M's bit

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 pm

sorry, meant that comment as a joke...yeah it was later due to the Dec. LSAT.

...and lol @ citizen lawyer...sounds like they stole W&M's bit

Sorry, that stinks. And sorry on sarcasm detection fail! At least you have other solid options :D . And I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this citizen lawyer business is a little silly ...

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:And I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this citizen lawyer business is a little silly ...

Hmm? I definitely don't think the concept is silly - I'm excited to be active in whatever community I end up in. However, I will admit that I have had reservations about how community orientated Wake Forest really is, considering the fact it is a gated, isolated campus that really doesn't seem to be part of any larger community.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:01 pm

traehekat wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:And I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this citizen lawyer business is a little silly ...

Hmm? I definitely don't think the concept is silly - I'm excited to be active in whatever community I end up in. However, I will admit that I have had reservations about how community orientated Wake Forest really is, considering the fact it is a gated, isolated campus that really doesn't seem to be part of any larger community.

I agree that it's good to be involved, but you really shouldn't be forced to do it as part of your orientation [which it seems Wake requires unless I am misreading it]. It kind of defeats the purpose [if that makes sense].

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:06 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I agree that it's good to be involved, but you really shouldn't be forced to do it as part of your orientation [which it seems Wake requires unless I am misreading it]. It kind of defeats the purpose [if that makes sense].

I'm glad they are requiring it. For those of us who are super shy around new people, it seems like a great way to get comfortable with your class. Plus, I know I for one always need to do more community service. Anyways, I would rather help build a house than sit in a lecture hall for orientation.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 pm

lml09 wrote:
I'm glad they are requiring it. For those of us who are super shy around new people, it seems like a great way to get comfortable with your class. Plus, I know I for one always need to do more community service. Anyways, I would rather help build a house than sit in a lecture hall for orientation.

Like I said, I don't think it's a bad idea. I actually think community service offerings are great. I just think it should be optional. I would likely do it anyway, but it's nice to have options. Either way, I guess we don't have much say in the matter, so we might as well look forward to meeting everyone. Maybe some of the TLS folks can get grouped together.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:31 pm

klussy wrote:early Jan.

That's why you didn't get any money.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:33 pm

It's required? Fuck that. Are they going to throw you out if you don't do it?

Being required to do community service is a joke. You should either want to do it, or don't do it.

Also, Dean's Certification? Really? My final and sealed transcripts weren't enough? When does that have to be in by?
Last edited by kalvano on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 pm

kalvano wrote:It's required? Fuck that. Are they going to throw you out if you don't do it?

Being required to do community service is a joke. You should either want to do it, or don't do it.

Wow, I guess I didn't think it was odd because I've had required community service all my life. In my high school we had to do a certain numbers of hours or else we couldn't graduate. I can see why the idea can be off putting though.

Did anyone else notice the comment about how we have to have our picture taken for the Wake Law facebook book? Does anyone else think this is going to be one of the old school books some law schools use where they have a picture of you, your undergrad and email and stuff? As a single lady myself, I have great plans for this. :wink:

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:41 pm

lml09 wrote:we have to have our picture taken for the Wake Law facebook book?

This just gets more and more irritating. I hate, loathe, despise having my picture taken. Cannot stand it. And I damn sure don't want it on Facebook.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:43 pm

kalvano wrote:

+1

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 pm

kalvano wrote:
lml09 wrote:we have to have our picture taken for the Wake Law facebook book?

This just gets more and more irritating. I hate, loathe, despise having my picture taken. Cannot stand it. And I damn sure don't want it on Facebook.

"Orientation isn’t just about getting your textbooks and having your picture taken for the law school Facebook page, although you do have to do those things."

Oh well, I guess it's not an actual book.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Also, are they planning on checking my computer for licensed anti-virus software? That's weird.

I am not a fan of this website. Not in the day, not in the night, not at all, no I am not.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:50 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, are they planning on checking my computer for licensed anti-virus software? That's weird.

I am not a fan of this website. Not in the day, not in the night, not at all, no I am not.

Lol +1. I'm okay with the community service, but is there really a required Facebook picture thing and anti-virus software requirement? I hate anti-virus software, it just slows your computer down. Just don't be an idiot and open anything you shouldn't. I don't really care about the Facebook thing, but I can see how some people may not really like that.

Silly.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:52 pm

traehekat wrote:
kalvano wrote:Also, are they planning on checking my computer for licensed anti-virus software? That's weird.

Lol +1. I'm okay with the community service, but is there really a required Facebook picture thing and anti-virus software requirement? I hate anti-virus software, it just slows your computer down. Just don't be an idiot and open anything you shouldn't. I don't really care about the Facebook thing, but I can see how some people may not really like that.

Silly.

At least the picnic is not required! People will be bringing their spouses, children and SOs and I have none of those things! I would feel super awkward.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:52 pm

traehekat wrote:I hate anti-virus software, it just slows your computer down.

I use AVG. It takes no system resources and is free, no license required.

I think this website irritates me because it's like being in high school, all the little requirements laid out. I'm a thinking, functioning adult whose managed his own life pretty well for 30 years. I think I can handle my computer just fine, and if I wanted to be on Facebook, I would have joined it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”