Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DNAgent

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby DNAgent » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:40 pm

d-cannon wrote:
d-cannon wrote:
***I probably did not add anything of value to this thread.

Actually, I did. With a heavy heart and a wife in tears, I have opened up a spot for someone on the WL. I hope it goes to a TLSer.

I am attending UGA this fall. It is tough because I felt a strong connection with both schools. Also, my wife's family is only a couple of hours northeast of W-S, but several hours from Athens (the distance from my children's grandparents is a big deal). No matter which school I chose, I felt I would be missing out on some great experiences at the other. Wake's Litigation Clinic sounds so great. I will always hold WF Law in high regard.

I dread packing and unpacking a five bedroom house, but as the head of a household of four, I need to maximize my employment opportunities and minimize debt.

Good luck to all of you and 'GO DEACONS'!

Best of luck, man. Very sorry to hear you won't be attending with us in the Fall.

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:28 pm

DNAgent wrote:Best of luck, man. Very sorry to hear you won't be attending with us in the Fall.

We will stay in touch via FB and TLS, I am sure. I am rooting for you.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Set up a class visit and tour on Friday. Going to be a long, long drive to North Carolina from Illinois, but luckily my buddy is making the road trip with me to check out the Winston-Salem and Charlotte area.

Anyone know of any good restaurants/hot spots I should check out while I am in Winston-Salem? I really want to get a feel for the law school culture, the campus, and the town itself.

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm

traehekat wrote:Set up a class visit and tour on Friday. Going to be a long, long drive to North Carolina from Illinois, but luckily my buddy is making the road trip with me to check out the Winston-Salem and Charlotte area.

Anyone know of any good restaurants/hot spots I should check out while I am in Winston-Salem? I really want to get a feel for the law school culture, the campus, and the town itself.

Check out the Twin Cities Diner--stopped in there last weekend, had a phenomenal burger (NC style with slaw and chili).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:13 pm

DNAgent wrote:
traehekat wrote:Set up a class visit and tour on Friday. Going to be a long, long drive to North Carolina from Illinois, but luckily my buddy is making the road trip with me to check out the Winston-Salem and Charlotte area.

Check out the Twin Cities Diner--stopped in there last weekend, had a phenomenal burger (NC style with slaw and chili).

Thanks, the food is going to take some getting used to... but I'll keep an open mind.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Get sweet tea from somewhere. Doesn't matter where. Just make sure to try sweet tea. I have a friend from Illinois who had never tried it until she got here. Now she's in love with the food (and especially the tea). :D

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:47 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:

Get sweet tea from somewhere. Doesn't matter where. Just make sure to try sweet tea. I have a friend from Illinois who had never tried it until she got here. Now she's in love with the food (and especially the tea). :D

Nice, I'll definitely have to get some.

I also set up a tour with the Crowne Oaks apartments. Aside from Crowne, does anyone have any suggestions for other apartments in the area I should check out?

nutininut

Postby nutininut » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:53 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47921329@N08/4386808953/

The places I tried on here were pretty good.

traehekat wrote:
DNAgent wrote:

Thanks, the food is going to take some getting used to... but I'll keep an open mind.

Bobby Kennedy

Postby Bobby Kennedy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Congratulations to all the new admits! You won't regret coming here.
Little Richard's BBQ in Winston is by far the best BBQ I've ever had. It looks like a dive from the outside but the food is fantastic. Bring cash!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:21 pm

Bobby Kennedy wrote:Congratulations to all the new admits! You won't regret coming here.
Little Richard's BBQ in Winston is by far the best BBQ I've ever had. It looks like a dive from the outside but the food is fantastic. Bring cash!

Drive to Smithfield, NC. Go to White Swan. It is a hole in the wall, but the food is cheap, and the BBQ is top notch. Stay out of central to western NC if you want BBQ. hth

Bobby Kennedy

Postby Bobby Kennedy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Bobby Kennedy wrote:Congratulations to all the new admits! You won't regret coming here.

Drive to Smithfield, NC. Go to White Swan. It is a hole in the wall, but the food is cheap, and the BBQ is top notch. Stay out of central to western NC if you want BBQ. hth

Sounds like somebody doesn't like Lexington style BBQ :D

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:23 pm

I stopped by the other day, and Old Navy has some pretty sweet faux-vintage Wake Forest t-shirts for anyone looking to pick up some Wake gear. It's obviously not law school-specific, but if you're in the NC area they seem to be readily available (part of their 'college collection' or some such thing). I think it was $19.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:24 pm

Bedsole wrote:

+1. I second driving to Smithfield (although it's a good distance from WS). However, I suggest Holt Lake. Beats the White Swan every time. Eastern BBQ (which is what you get at either of these places) is definitely better than western-style.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:26 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

+1. I second driving to Smithfield (although it's a good distance from WS). However, I suggest Holt Lake. Beats the White Swan every time. Eastern BBQ (which is what you get at either of these places) is definitely better than western-style.

Holt Lake is great, and they have all you can eat fried shrimp on Tuesdays, but it's only $3-5 for a BBQ sandwich, fries, hush puppies, and a sweet tea at White Swan.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Bedsole wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

Holt Lake is great, and they have all you can eat fried shrimp on Tuesdays, but it's only $3-5 for a BBQ sandwich, fries, hush puppies, and a sweet tea at White Swan.

Good enough. I'd say you can't go wrong either way as long as you stick to the eastern-style BBQ.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Pirate, are you from Smithfield?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:47 pm

Taken from a post on above the law about the new rankings:

"I can tell you that these employments numbers are total garbage (assuming they are using 2009 grads).

For example, I graduated from Illinois in 2009 in class of less than 200 people. The rankings stated that the 9 month employment numbers from Illinois are 96.8% -- meaning that (allegedly) only 6 people are unemployed.

However, I personally know and communicate with 7 people who have nothing. N O T H I N G. No clerkship, no unpaid internship, no contract work. Nothing. They sit and play XBox 360 all day. When I look to various acquaintances on facebook, I see no news of any jobs.

All told, I would bet 25 Illinois grads have zero, zilch, nothing.

I would bet another 50 or so are doing temp, contract, or really low-end work for almost no money (or even working for free).

How in the hell, by any metric of reasonable computation, does Illinois claim to have a 96.8% employment rate after 9 months. It is inconceivable."

Perhaps its like this at all schools and wake just doesn't do as good a job at hiding it

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Taken from a post on above the law about the new rankings:

"I can tell you that these employments numbers are total garbage (assuming they are using 2009 grads).

For example, I graduated from Illinois in 2009 in class of less than 200 people. The rankings stated that the 9 month employment numbers from Illinois are 96.8% -- meaning that (allegedly) only 6 people are unemployed.

However, I personally know and communicate with 7 people who have nothing. N O T H I N G. No clerkship, no unpaid internship, no contract work. Nothing. They sit and play XBox 360 all day. When I look to various acquaintances on facebook, I see no news of any jobs.

All told, I would bet 25 Illinois grads have zero, zilch, nothing.

I would bet another 50 or so are doing temp, contract, or really low-end work for almost no money (or even working for free).

How in the hell, by any metric of reasonable computation, does Illinois claim to have a 96.8% employment rate after 9 months. It is inconceivable."

Perhaps its like this at all schools and wake just doesn't do as good a job at hiding it

My thoughts exactly. I mean, what are the other explanations? Wake actually DOES do just as good of a job hiding it, but they still come out with 74% employment (meaning they are REALLY getting killed)? I don't see why Wake graduates would be getting killed any more than any other school.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Employment@graduation =/= Employment after 9 months. Wake's 9-month figures are pretty similar to Illinois', which is what the quote refers to.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Bedsole wrote:Pirate, are you from Smithfield?

I'm from farther east, but I'm in Smithfield often for business-related reasons. Feel free to PM me.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:03 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5086610

For any of you who will coming to bball games with me next season, here is some light reading to get you excited. :)

This thread is getting depressing. seriously.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:54 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:Employment@graduation =/= Employment after 9 months. Wake's 9-month figures are pretty similar to Illinois', which is what the quote refers to.

True, but its just on the statement of employment in general.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:55 pm

go la botana!

Tasty and (if you want) authentic (my fiancee got a goat meat taco).

Fun atmosphere and big drinks

lml09

Postby lml09 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:52 pm

moandersen wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5086610

For any of you who will coming to bball games with me next season, here is some light reading to get you excited. :)

This thread is getting depressing. seriously.

For real. Posts about barbecue and sports > posts about employment at graduation. Or, at least barbecue makes me happy where as less than thrilling stats make my tummy hurt.

Bobby Kennedy

Postby Bobby Kennedy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:20 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Good enough. I'd say you can't go wrong either way as long as you stick to the eastern-style BBQ.

Unfortunately, the only "eastern-style" BBQ place I've been to in Winston (Bib's Downtown) was pretty mediocre. Besides, "western style" is better anyway... just sayin ;)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”