Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gogo

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby gogo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:05 pm

minkins wrote:Sending my deposit in the morning!!

Does anyone know when the house hunt is in June? Is it a Saturday thing or a two night thing or what? I need to figure out my work schedule for the summer :)

I am pretty sure it is June 11 and 12. At least I think that is what was on the flyer I got at the Open House, so sounds like it's a friday and saturday two day thing. I think I'll be going!

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:51 pm

When is the deadline for our second deposit?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Well, got an extra day from Melanie (so that I can visit IUB and weigh it fairly), but it doesn't look like there's any wiggle room on scholarships. I had a dream last night that a Fletcher opened up (yes, seriously, dream), but alas reality is not as awesome.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 pm

wakemeup wrote:When is the deadline for our second deposit?

Last year, I believe it was June 15th. And I think it was another $300.

I e-mailed the school a week or so ago, and they said they'd be e-mailing out a link to a website with information about things we'll need to do and on events/deadlines/etc about mid-April.

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:56 pm

Anybody from California heading to Wake Forest?

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:39 pm

tstyler98 wrote:

I e-mailed the school a week or so ago, and they said they'd be e-mailing out a link to a website with information about things we'll need to do and on events/deadlines/etc about mid-April.

Thanks, tstyler. You are awesome with the helpful info.

wakemeup

Postby wakemeup » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:45 pm

Roll call for Mountain Northwest/Pacific Northwest (WA, OR, ID, MT) natives who will be attending Wake in the fall!

One right here!

Who else?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:18 am

whenpigsfly wrote:
traehekat wrote:Juuuuust out of curiosity...

... what do you guys think the chances are of WFU moving up in the rankings? They improved their clinical programs, right? Plus, they are currently a little bit lower than what their average rank over the last ten years has been.

My bias might be showing, but I'd say pretty good. They've increased the number of clinical offerings and next year they are launching a DC externship program, which I think will have a positive impact on the rankings. Wake fell off in the rankings when the new dean got here (just because of uncertainty and what not), but he has a lot of good ideas which are slowly being put into play.

# of clinics= not a criterium
Externships= not a criterium
And even if DC externship was, it wouldn't have an effect on rankings until next year.

placencia

Postby placencia » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:41 am

There is one question I had about scholarship offers. Many of you have turned down your offers to Wake recently, which includes your scholarship money. I was accepted a month or so ago, and my deadline for sending in the seat deposit is the same as all other non scholarship people, April 15th.

Now I know the scholarship acceptance deadline was the 1st for the sole reason of being able to reallocate that money to others who had been accepted before they had to decide on the 15th, but will the same thing happen with the money that has just been freed up in the past few days? Will they try to quick turnaround some emails to undecided acceptances, will that money be given out to people they accept off the waitlists later, or does it just go back into the pot?

kew

Postby kew » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 am

wakemeup wrote:Roll call for Mountain Northwest/Pacific Northwest (WA, OR, ID, MT) natives who will be attending Wake in the fall!

One right here!

Who else?

Washington resident here! I'm 99% sure I'll be attending wake and already not looking forward to the long move out there!

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:34 am

wakemeup wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:

Thanks, tstyler. You are awesome with the helpful info.

You're welcome! I like to help out when I can. :D

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:37 am

placencia wrote:There is one question I had about scholarship offers. Many of you have turned down your offers to Wake recently, which includes your scholarship money. I was accepted a month or so ago, and my deadline for sending in the seat deposit is the same as all other non scholarship people, April 15th.

Now I know the scholarship acceptance deadline was the 1st for the sole reason of being able to reallocate that money to others who had been accepted before they had to decide on the 15th, but will the same thing happen with the money that has just been freed up in the past few days? Will they try to quick turnaround some emails to undecided acceptances, will that money be given out to people they accept off the waitlists later, or does it just go back into the pot?

I was at their ASD yesterday and Melanie Nutt told me they needed our decisions by 5 or at the latest by start of business today so that if we didn't accept she could notify the next group on the list which is very doubtfully the WL. Don't think anyone's going to see much action until after the 15th. Luckily for you guys, I know of 2 schollys thrown back that were quite large, and we're both headed to Emory. I think at this point almost everyone has committed to a school and we were just trying to see if it would have been worth it to have that money. Also, toured Robinhood Court Apartments, they were AWESOME- brand new, 2 br are $850 or $875, that's pretty cheap compared to here in Dallas or where I'm looking in ATL, I don't know how it compares to WS.

keemos

Postby keemos » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:37 am

Does wake offer scholarships based on 1L performance? Would you have to go through the transfer process to open up such negotiations?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:44 am

keemos wrote:Does wake offer scholarships based on 1L performance? Would you have to go through the transfer process to open up such negotiations?

Wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this, as well. Although, I have never seen much incentive for schools to throw scholarship money at 1Ls who do well, aside from lowering their attrition rate. But who knows, that may be enough reason to fork it over.

gogo

Postby gogo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:31 am

does anyone know what percentage of wakes class every year comes straight from undergrad or with only one year off? I think I am starting to get cold feet about going straight from undergrad and am worried wakes class is all alot older. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!
Last edited by gogo on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:35 am

gogo wrote:does anyone know what percentage of wakes class every year comes straight from undergrad or with only one year off? I think I am starting to get cold feet about going straight from undergrad and am worried wakes class is all alot older. Anyone knowabyrgibg about this?

Thanks!

? No idea but EVERYONE looked young.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:44 am

leraa6587 wrote:
gogo wrote:does anyone know what percentage of wakes class every year comes straight from undergrad or with only one year off? I think I am starting to get cold feet about going straight from undergrad and am worried wakes class is all alot older. Anyone knowabyrgibg about this?

Thanks!

the people i interacted with seemed pretty fresh out of ug, or still in ug. i felt like i would def be one of the 'older' students, but by that i mean ill be 27, when other will be in the 22-24 range. im guessing there is a median age stat for incoming students somewhere.

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:45 am

WF facts page says average age is 24, FYI.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:49 am

I'll turn 30 in October, but people think I'm straight out of undergrad. It's annoying at times, but hopefully means when I'm much older people will still think I'm younger. :?

I'm sure there will be some differences, but I don't think the age-differences will be that much of an issue.
Last edited by tstyler98 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

gogo

Postby gogo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:49 am

moandersen wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:

Thanks!

Well that's good news to me!

the people i interacted with seemed pretty fresh out of ug, or still in ug. i felt like i would def be one of the 'older' students, but by that i mean ill be 27, when other will be in the 22-24 range. im guessing there is a median age stat for incoming students somewhere.

Thanks for the insight! Helps me be more comfortable with my decision to send my deposit there

whenpigsfly

Postby whenpigsfly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:58 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
whenpigsfly wrote:

... what do you guys think the chances are of WFU moving up in the rankings? They improved their clinical programs, right? Plus, they are currently a little bit lower than what their average rank over the last ten years has been.

My bias might be showing, but I'd say pretty good. They've increased the number of clinical offerings and next year they are launching a DC externship program, which I think will have a positive impact on the rankings. Wake fell off in the rankings when the new dean got here (just because of uncertainty and what not), but he has a lot of good ideas which are slowly being put into play.

And even if DC externship was, it wouldn't have an effect on rankings until next year.

Not a direct criterium, no, but since "reputation" among other schools, judges, attorneys, etc. is worth around 40 percent of the ranking methodology, stuff like this will have a direct effect. Will Wake increase in this year's rankings? Who knows. But in the next few years, my guess is they will settled back into the mid-30s.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:01 pm

No Rose Scholarship for me...lame. :|

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:17 pm

seriously, whats with all these apartments advertising wall to wall carpet? is that viewed as a positive in nc? i cant find any complex that isnt all carpet except for the kitchen/bathrooms. nasty. i found some houses with hardwood, but i dont want to rent a house....

is carpet the norm and hardwood the exception?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:34 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
whenpigsfly wrote:

Not a direct criterium, no, but since "reputation" among other schools, judges, attorneys, etc. is worth around 40 percent of the ranking methodology, stuff like this will have a direct effect. Will Wake increase in this year's rankings? Who knows. But in the next few years, my guess is they will settled back into the mid-30s.

Agreed. Externship and clinic too young for this cycle, but should be a nice boost in future, especially if wake grads do good in dc.

The one positive indicator for wakes ranking this year, imo, is the nlj 250 rankings. They could possibly be a symptom of an increased reputation for wake amoung firms.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Agreed. Externship and clinic too young for this cycle, but should be a nice boost in future, especially if wake grads do good in dc.

The one positive indicator for wakes ranking this year, imo, is the nlj 250 rankings. They could possibly be a symptom of an increased reputation for wake amoung firms.

Yeah, has Wake always done this well in NLJ 250 placement? They are definitely outperforming their rank, up there with schools like Minnesota, Iowa, William and Mary, and Washington and Lee. Doing better than UNC, Georgia, and OSU, as well.

What do you guys think this is a result of? Do you think the percent will go up, down, or stay the same in the next few years?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”