Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
traehekat

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:07 am

moandersen wrote:Hopefully the next five days will be great days for those of us hoping (praying?) for a scholarship email!

Yup! Good luck to everyone, I hope they have enough to go around.

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:58 am

keemos wrote:2. Way too many cops...I literally saw 1-2 cop cars at least every 2 minutes. I am not exaggerating. I have never experienced this before.

You just happened to be in town during the statewide initiative "Operation Slow Down." The NC Highway Patrol was conducting a HUGE operation to catch as many speeding drivers as possible over a week-long period. There's not normally that kind of police presence in W-S, but if you move to NC do be aware that the NC HP does this annually :mrgreen:

flowerpot

Postby flowerpot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 am

Hopefully the next five days will be great days for those of us hoping (praying?) for a scholarship email!

Any chance we could hear something today? I visited Wake a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it, and I am desperate to get some scholarship $ from them! For me it's down to Emory and Wake- and Emory has already given me a great scholarship. Wake offers some advantages for me because I want to practice in NC- but if they don't give me anything it wouldn't make much sense to go there. Come on Wake!!!!

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:03 am

flowerpot wrote:
Hopefully the next five days will be great days for those of us hoping (praying?) for a scholarship email!

Any chance we could hear something today? I visited Wake a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it, and I am desperate to get some scholarship $ from them! For me it's down to Emory and Wake- and Emory has already given me a great scholarship. Wake offers some advantages for me because I want to practice in NC- but if they don't give me anything it wouldn't make much sense to go there. Come on Wake!!!!

The April 1 Scholarship deadline is based on postmark date, so I was told it would probably not be until the end of the week that we find out what is available/what we'll get.

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:51 am

keemos wrote:Left Wake a few hours ago. The campus was gorgeous as most of you probably know. The law school is right at the entrance of campus and from what I understand law students don't visit the rest of campus much which is a real pity. I sat in on an Evidence class. The professor was really thorough and I felt like I understood everything he said even though I knew nothing about the topic. This was probably my favorite part of my visit. Sort of got me excited for law school. Winston Salem is fairly nice. Couple of complaints:
1. It was really hard to find a local place to eat, even with a GPS. There were a ton of fast food joints but all the other good stuff I heard about was hard to find. I did eat at Rose's deli which was great.
2. Way too many cops...I literally saw 1-2 cop cars at least every 2 minutes. I am not exaggerating. I have never experienced this before

The facilities were nothing to praise or complain about. People were really nice in general. The admissions office was closed Friday so I have nothing to report on that front but I think I would be really happy at Wake. If I get a scholarship I will probably end up there but I don't think I can justify sticker in this economy.

Sounds more and more like I'll be going to WF. Cop part sucks though, won't be able to use all my 480 horsepower the way I do in Texas :(

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Wait, what happened to Nicholasnickynic's post?

There's no more money!?

WHAT!?

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:09 pm

traehekat wrote:Wait, what happened to Nicholasnickynic's post?

There's no more money!?

WHAT!?

+1 to confusion and FREAKOUT

gogo

Postby gogo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:13 pm

DNAgent wrote:

There's no more money!?

WHAT!?

I missed the "missing" post...what did it say?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:16 pm

gogo wrote:
DNAgent wrote:

There's no more money!?

WHAT!?

I missed the "missing" post...what did it say?

Well, basically it described a phone call with someone over at WF re: scholarship increases, and I guess they said enough people put down deposits and there is no more money.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:21 pm

sorry.

But basicially, I called them telling them I had a better offer from a better school and they told me there was no more money left.

Enough people had deposited that they had no money to give out at this time.

I told them I had a competing offer and they asked for my name/other school/and other schools scholarship title and said I would be on melanies radar for scholly increase.

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:26 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:Sounds more and more like I'll be going to WF. Cop part sucks though, won't be able to use all my 480 horsepower the way I do in Texas :(

Ahhh yes, the wonderful M3... I had a 2005 Convertible... you definitely can't use all those hp here (and I only had 350).

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:18 pm

d-cannon wrote:
RSN_M3 wrote:Sounds more and more like I'll be going to WF. Cop part sucks though, won't be able to use all my 480 horsepower the way I do in Texas :(

Ahhh yes, the wonderful M3... I had a 2005 Convertible... you definitely can't use all those hp here (and I only had 350).

The last time I visited Wake was in UG. My friends and I got pulled over because we looked suspicious... and we were just dropping a book off for a friend of ours who had left it somewhere.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Thats depressing, especially since I called today and they said they will be sending new notices out soon. I'll still cling to the hope of the Rose scholarship, but no $ = not attending. As much as I loved Wake, can't turn down going to a philly school for next to nothing.

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:48 pm

d-cannon wrote:

SMG or manual? I'll turn the boost controller down to save gas and enjoy riding the road bike to class instead. Weird too, NC has one of the most renown race shops, Underground Racing. Their Lamborghini and Ford GT twin turbos routinely make 1000 wheel horsepower.

Sorry from taking this thread off topic.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:sorry.

But basicially, I called them telling them I had a better offer from a better school and they told me there was no more money left.

I told them I had a competing offer and they asked for my name/other school/and other schools scholarship title and said I would be on melanies radar for scholly increase.

Confused. The lady I spoke to today said that they were in the middle of evaluating the applicants with no scholarships and that they were hoping to start notifying people around Thursday. Maybe no one there really knows what's going on.

Anyways, I still have a tiny bit of hope left.

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:21 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:SMG or manual? I'll turn the boost controller down to save gas and enjoy riding the road bike to class instead. Weird too, NC has one of the most renown race shops, Underground Racing. Their Lamborghini and Ford GT twin turbos routinely make 1000 wheel horsepower.

Sorry from taking this thread off topic.

No prob! I had SMG and actually enjoyed it. My friend had a manual and was impressed with the crispness of the SMG (but he still made fun of it).
As for motorcycles, I have big and slow Harleys. My daily driver is a slow, 4-door Jeep. Yeah, I am out of the speed game for now.

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:28 pm

I bet there are plenty of people submitting multiple first deposits in hope of increasing scholarship chances at higher ranked schools than wake or riding out the waitlists somewhere else. Why not throw away a measly 300 dollars to keep a backup plan.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Hmm..
lml09 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:sorry.

Confused. The lady I spoke to today said that they were in the middle of evaluating the applicants with no scholarships and that they were hoping to start notifying people around Thursday. Maybe no one there really knows what's going on.

Hmm theyve been telling multiple people they still have money left.

Seems like they have money alotted for people with no schollies, but no addtl money for people with schollies.

Knowing wakes stance on negotiating (they DO NOT seem to be favorable to it), I'm guessing they lied to me, or have do not have money for negotiating.

Sounds like they prob still have money for people that haven't gotten anything.

Good luck all, don;t give up hope :D !

lml09

Postby lml09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:38 pm

Nicholasnickynic, that was what I was thinking too. No substantial money for scholarship increases but some money for people with none. They probably know who the money is going toward by now too. When I asked if I had any chance, she used the words "very unlikely" to get any money. At least they're keeping it real though, and regardless of how this week turns out, i'm still going to wake.

gogo

Postby gogo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:49 pm

lml09 wrote:

i'm in the boat of people with no scholarship yet since i applied late. i emailed last week to express my interest but should i call? i've got numbers right under/at the 75th for both categories. i wonder what the likelihood is that i'd get anything

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:50 pm

lml09 wrote:Nicholasnickynic, that was what I was thinking too. No substantial money for scholarship increases but some money for people with none. They probably know who the money is going toward by now too.

thats what im hoping the situation is. I was asked to email the financial aid office when it came time for me to 'bite the bullet' on seat deposits, so Im thinking of throwing an email their way thursday or friday. But like you said, im guessing they already know who the $$ is going to.

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Have any accepted students, accepted on or before 3-17-2010, not received the financial aid award email?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:22 am

I talked to Jenny (but not Melanie) in person today, and I got the impression that there will be some money available at the end of this week (or Monday of next), though nothing was remotely concrete.

Also, I was really impressed by the school. I think my opinion of the school was unfairly swayed by the day. It was 85 and sunny with a light breeze, and all of the flowering trees and shrubs had just bloomed. The campus looked just unbelievable because of those circumstances. However, I also liked the school and the facilities. Student vibe was pretty good as well. However, without (minimum) 28k, I'm likely not coming. With a scholarship, my paring down process will be thrown back into chaos.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:25 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:I talked to Jenny (but not Melanie) in person today, and I got the impression that there will be some money available at the end of this week (or Monday of next), though nothing was remotely concrete.

Also, I was really impressed by the school. I think my opinion of the school was unfairly swayed by the day. It was 85 and sunny with a light breeze, and all of the flowering trees and shrubs had just bloomed. The campus looked just unbelievable because of those circumstances. However, I also liked the school and the facilities. Student vibe was pretty good as well. However, without (minimum) 28k, I'm likely not coming. With a scholarship, my paring down process will be thrown back into chaos.

I don't think you're going to get $28K, not this late.

But I can tell you that the school looks beautiful covered in snow, too.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:28 am

kalvano wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:I talked to Jenny (but not Melanie) in person today, and I got the impression that there will be some money available at the end of this week (or Monday of next), though nothing was remotely concrete.

I don't think you're going to get $28K, not this late.

But I can tell you that the school looks beautiful covered in snow, too.

You are probably right, unfortunately. I just can't turn down W&M at equivalent to 28k at Wake (i.e. 8k between tuition and scholly). Plus, IUB is lingering in the background whispering sweet nothings of "debt free....deeeeebbbbbtt freeee"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”