Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:31 pm

Wow. I submitted my FAFSA on Monday, and Wake already got back to on loan eligibility.

Anyone know if they distribute loans in one bulk sum, or do they split it up by semester?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:32 pm

kalvano wrote:Wow. I submitted my FAFSA on Monday, and Wake already got back to on loan eligibility.

Anyone know if they distribute loans in one bulk sum, or do they split it up by semester?

Split by semester. At least my email showed the loan amounts split in half by semester.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:33 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Wow. I submitted my FAFSA on Monday, and Wake already got back to on loan eligibility.

Split by semester. At least my email showed the loan amounts split in half by semester.

Same on the email. I just didn't know if they split it when they disburse it.

keemos

Postby keemos » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 pm

got financial aid today too. I really need merit aid to be able to afford Wake. Seriously want to be a Demon Deacon but my undergrad loans are a real burden

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:33 pm

i have begun the thought process to try and figure out if wake is worth sticker. it is the only school that i have really 'connected' with and really feel comfortable at. I dont want to count on getting $$ after april 1. my debt if I went at sticker would be ~120k since the wife would be paying for everything but tuition. anyone else contemplating this?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 pm

moandersen wrote:i have begun the thought process to try and figure out if wake is worth sticker. it is the only school that i have really 'connected' with and really feel comfortable at. I dont want to count on getting $$ after april 1. my debt if I went at sticker would be ~120k since the wife would be paying for everything but tuition. anyone else contemplating this?

Where can I get one of these wives you speak of? Do I need to file a separate application?

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:09 am

traehekat wrote:
moandersen wrote:i have begun the thought process to try and figure out if wake is worth sticker. it is the only school that i have really 'connected' with and really feel comfortable at. I dont want to count on getting $$ after april 1. my debt if I went at sticker would be ~120k since the wife would be paying for everything but tuition. anyone else contemplating this?

Where can I get one of these wives you speak of? Do I need to file a separate application?
Last edited by exitlane on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:46 am

It's a really solid school. I don't know, however, if it's worth sticker. I'm guessing you didn't like UConn very much?

For what it's worth, I think Wake is worth it over UConn. I just got a very, very negative vibe from there.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:11 am

Getting ready to drive over to Wake for the day! I just want to do some creeping around the school and library at my own pace and also buy the student store out of everything law related.

For those of you up North, it's a beautiful sunny day here in NC, high of 85 :D This should help in the decision process.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:59 am

kalvano wrote:

It's a really solid school. I don't know, however, if it's worth sticker.

exactly. I was really hoping I would like uconn because then I would have a cheaper option if I dont get a scholarship from WF. But as of right now WF is still more enticing even though it will be 30k more expensive than uconn. Ill spend a good chunck of the rest of our drive back to chicago contemplating all of this.

traehekat: a good wife is hard to come by - almost as elusive as a 180. While no app is needed, good softs are a must. Wives generally take a holistic approach to finding a husband, rather than just looking at numbers.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:20 am

moandersen wrote:
kalvano wrote:

exactly. I was really hoping I would like uconn because then I would have a cheaper option if I dont get a scholarship from WF. But as of right now WF is still more enticing even though it will be 30k more expensive than uconn. Ill spend a good chunck of the rest of our drive back to chicago contemplating all of this.

If it were me, I'd go with Wake, even at sticker, between those two. I think you'll have much more success at Wake. But that's me, I'm sure many will disagree.

Also, getting a proper wife is like getting in to Yale. Nothing matters because the requirements change every time you turn around.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:45 am

traehekat wrote:

l o l

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:47 am

moandersen wrote:
kalvano wrote:

traehekat: a good wife is hard to come by - almost as elusive as a 180. While no app is needed, good softs are a must. Wives generally take a holistic approach to finding a husband, rather than just looking at numbers.

as some one getting married, this stuff really makes me laugh today for some reason.

waverider

Postby waverider » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:16 am

lml09 wrote:Getting ready to drive over to Wake for the day! I just want to do some creeping around the school and library at my own pace and also buy the student store out of everything law related.

For those of you up North, it's a beautiful sunny day here in NC, high of 85 :D This should help in the decision process.

Wow I think of NC as "up North"

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:23 am

Withdrew and put my scholarship money back on the table (18k/yr). Hope one of you guys gets it, seems like WF will have a great class this coming year and it sure was a hard decision. Even the reply to my withdraw letter made me want to go there. Good luck everybody.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:55 am

For what it's worth, I think Wake is worth it over UConn. I just got a very, very negative vibe from there.[/quote]

I am very interested in your thoughts. What negative vibe did you get at UConn? Can you elaborate? I thought you liked it there (although liked Wake Forest better).

captainpete

Postby captainpete » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 pm

(For the record, this is not my first post...I can't for the life of me remember my email/password I used previously..i know.)

Moandersen,

I am contemplating the same things you are. Except mine is with Mason (w/ instate and the dumb contingent scholarship). Wake is the one school I have a "connection" with and the school I know I will enjoy the most. However, sticker AND having to pay COL (no wife to take care of me) is holding me back.

Ah, decisions decisions.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:24 pm

I would say that captainpete has 99 problems... and you know the rest

LiveFree

Postby LiveFree » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:27 pm

Bedsole wrote:I would say that captainpete has 99 problems... and you know the rest

I read that and just spit water all over my desk. Priceless....

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Emma1 wrote:I am very interested in your thoughts. What negative vibe did you get at UConn? Can you elaborate? I thought you liked it there (although liked Wake Forest better).

The school was very nice looking, and I liked CT a lot. But I did not get a good vibe as far as job prospects. The tour guide was very negative about that, and even a lot of the threads on here dealing with UConn are less than optimistic. Wake seems like a much better bet. That's not to say jobs just fall into your lap, but with some work, it seems as if Wake opens many more doors and chances for students.

Also, it didn't sound like the professors were particularly accessible or great at teaching. There's a difference between being a good lawyer and being good at teaching the law. I want accessible professors that are there to help me learn, not just do research and write articles. Wake consistently ranks very high for good professors, and the students I have spoken with give very high marks for professors.

It seemed like a happier, more upbeat atmosphere at Wake than it did at UConn. It could have just been a fluke, but I'm pretty good at reading people and I just got a much better sense off of Wake than UConn.

The overall vibe I got a UConn was "OH NOES! EVERYTHING SUCKS! WHAT SHALL WE DO!?!?" At Wake, it was more "Huh. Everything sucks right now. Well, whatever. With some hard work, we'll get it going." Just a more positive, "we'll get through it just fine" attitude.

I enjoyed North Carolina more than CT, as well.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 pm

captainpete wrote:(For the record, this is not my first post...I can't for the life of me remember my email/password I used previously..i know.)

Moandersen,

I am contemplating the same things you are. Except mine is with Mason (w/ instate and the dumb contingent scholarship). Wake is the one school I have a "connection" with and the school I know I will enjoy the most. However, sticker AND having to pay COL (no wife to take care of me) is holding me back.

Ah, decisions decisions.

If you are worried about CoL, get the hell away from George Mason. Living in a two bedroom appt with a roomate could easily run you 36k over three years+ ultilities.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:14 pm

waverider wrote:
lml09 wrote:Getting ready to drive over to Wake for the day! I just want to do some creeping around the school and library at my own pace and also buy the student store out of everything law related.

Geez, don't put us in that category. For a lot of NC folks, anything north of Virginia is "up north" (even northern VA is up north for some of us). NC is definitely a southern state.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:17 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
waverider wrote:

Geez, don't put us in that category. For a lot of NC folks, anything north of Virginia is "up north" (even northern VA is up north for some of us). NC is definitely a southern state.

Anywhere you can buy sweet tea at any restaurant is the south.... at least in my opinion.

waverider

Postby waverider » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:44 pm

I wasn't referring to the culture just the weather. I guess "up north" is a relative term. I'm from florida so most places are "up north" to me. Just my opinion, any place where it usually snows at least once a year is "up north". :)

captainpete

Postby captainpete » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
captainpete wrote:(For the record, this is not my first post...I can't for the life of me remember my email/password I used previously..i know.)

Moandersen,

Ah, decisions decisions.

If you are worried about CoL, get the hell away from George Mason. Living in a two bedroom appt with a roomate could easily run you 36k over three years+ ultilities.

Overall, I think it would be about a $60-80k difference between the two (CoL + tuition). Is Wake worth the difference? I don't know. Especially with my desire to work in Federal gov't (of course that could always change). ANDDD, my S.O. is currently at Duke Med, so Wake is closer to her, but her loans already scare the crap out of both of us. It has taken me two months and I have had zero progress. Hopefully the next 2 weeks will bring some clarity....for us all.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”