Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
S de Garmeaux
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:13 pm

Regarding the seat deposit, can it only be by check in the mail? If i want to write and mail a check either today or tomorrow, would i still meet the April 1 deadline? Post date?

If anyone has already spoken to WF about this, let me know

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:22 pm

sufjan wrote:also, excuse my ignorance, what is PI?



Public interest.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:22 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:Regarding the seat deposit, can it only be by check in the mail? If i want to write and mail a check either today or tomorrow, would i still meet the April 1 deadline? Post date?

If anyone has already spoken to WF about this, let me know



Only check by mail, must be dated by April 1st. I called.

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby wackjickham » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Officially withdrew, figuring that was more polite than just not sending in my deposit. Hope my spot goes to a waitlister who really wants Wake!

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby doinmybest » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:31 pm

I just received confirmation of my withdraw request. Another spot is open along with some $$$. Good luck to all!

User avatar
S de Garmeaux
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:31 pm

kalvano wrote:
S de Garmeaux wrote:Regarding the seat deposit, can it only be by check in the mail? If i want to write and mail a check either today or tomorrow, would i still meet the April 1 deadline? Post date?

If anyone has already spoken to WF about this, let me know



Only check by mail, must be dated by April 1st. I called.


thanks for saving me the time!

d-cannon
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby d-cannon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm

sufjan wrote:so will you be at Wake in the fall?


I have a 3-way struggle in my mind between UNC (if accepted), Wake, and UGa. If UNC were to ding me, I would still have a tough decision to make. Some of my reasons are rational, others are - not so much. I feel that which ever one I pick, I will miss out on great experiences at the others.

After visiting all 3 schools multiple times, I feel that I "fit" best with Wake, with UGa in a close second. I think (as a 0L, my mind is open) I would like to be a litigator. A few of my friends in Virginia are partners at different mid-law firms and see the courtroom often. Wake and UGa seem to strengthen those skills if you choose the proper electives. I do not feel I would doing a disservice to myself if I attend UNC, but... *Advantage Wake and Georgia.

I head a family of four and prefer not to move. Currently, we live 20 minutes from UNC. I am not opposed to getting a place M-F near Wake. I dread PACKING and moving 7 hours away (but I really like Athens). There are good school options for my children regardless of location. *Advantage UNC, especially if I were to get summer jobs in Raleigh/Durham.

I feel the legal market in the greater-Atlanta-area is stronger than the market in the entire state of NC (regardless of economic conditions - but currently, Charlotte is getting hit especially hard). On the otherhand, I really ehjoy living in NC after living here for one year. *Advantage Georgia.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I really like Carolina Blue over Black/Red or Black/Gold (but my yellow gold Day-Date looks good under a black shirt 8) ). I am also an ACC sports fan. *Advantage UNC. :oops:

I have not been offered any scholarships from these three schools (only from my safeties). *DISadvantage Wake, especially with the additional housing/commuting costs.

I have some other thoughts that I would rather not share for personal reasons and because this post is ridiculously long already.

BTW, if anyone would like to chime in with their thoughts, I would love to hear them.

twintipping_bumps
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby twintipping_bumps » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:16 pm

d-cannon wrote:
I believe in the next ten years, Wake will move up in the rankings as its reputation grows, since the current Dean has created many new offerings in clinics and journals. The Dean has also "hit the street" marketing Wake Law nationwide, especially in DC, where he has been favorably received.



I've actually been thinking about this quite a bit. Looking at the historical rankings, Wake seems to bounce around between the mid 30s and lower 40s. Their UG is #28 right now.

If they could stabilize the Law School in the lower 30s, then it is a tough call between Tulane with $$$ and Emory with very little money if Wake gives me a scholarship somewhere in between. I mean, I want to believe their reputation is stable and will rise.

exitlane
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby exitlane » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Does anyone know how long until we receive financial aid information? I was accepted on 3/17/2010.

Should I send in my deposit immediately in hopes of getting some scholarship money? I am a URM, unemployed, and burning through a very meager savings. My income for 2009 was poverty line.

twintipping_bumps
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby twintipping_bumps » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:28 pm

My understanding is there will be no new merit-based scholarship offers made until after they have determined what is still available following tomorrow's deadline for those who have received scholarship offers. I am going to wait at least another week or so before giving up on the possibility.

d-cannon
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby d-cannon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:I've actually been thinking about this quite a bit. Looking at the historical rankings, Wake seems to bounce around between the mid 30s and lower 40s. Their UG is #28 right now.

If they could stabilize the Law School in the lower 30s, then it is a tough call between Tulane with $$$ and Emory with very little money if Wake gives me a scholarship somewhere in between. I mean, I want to believe their reputation is stable and will rise.


Emory's current reputation and placement on the east coast is stronger than the others. When I visited Emory, I didn't feel a connection with the school even though EVERYONE there was friendly and welcoming... it might have just been that I like trees and grass on a campus.

Even though I mentioned the rankings, don't let that factor too much in your decision. After ~ top 20, most schools reputations are not as well known outside of their respective state. Hiring partners won't pass on an applicant from a well-respected LS just because the applicant's school dropped 5 places in a magazine's opinion.

User avatar
S de Garmeaux
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 pm

is there a form to send in as well? Or just a cover letter explaining that the $300 check is for my first seat deposit?

User avatar
sufjan
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby sufjan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:24 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:is there a form to send in as well? Or just a cover letter explaining that the $300 check is for my first seat deposit?


i just sent a cover letter

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:24 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:is there a form to send in as well? Or just a cover letter explaining that the $300 check is for my first seat deposit?


No form. Just the check (or check with cover letter). I would say they'll know what it's for even if you just send the check and write "Deposit" on the "for" line (along with your LSAC ID).

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:45 pm

sufjan wrote:
lml09 wrote:For those of you who already sent in your deposit, did you get any confirmation that Wake got it, like an email or something?


no. i thought about calling to confirm but saw that the check had cleared in my account..that's confirmation enough


I received an e-mail letting me know they received the deposit the day before it showed up as being cashed in my bank account online.

User avatar
dhatfie1
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby dhatfie1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:46 pm

d-cannon wrote:
sufjan wrote:so will you be at Wake in the fall?


I have a 3-way struggle in my mind between UNC (if accepted), Wake, and UGa. If UNC were to ding me, I would still have a tough decision to make. Some of my reasons are rational, others are - not so much. I feel that which ever one I pick, I will miss out on great experiences at the others.

After visiting all 3 schools multiple times, I feel that I "fit" best with Wake, with UGa in a close second. I think (as a 0L, my mind is open) I would like to be a litigator. A few of my friends in Virginia are partners at different mid-law firms and see the courtroom often. Wake and UGa seem to strengthen those skills if you choose the proper electives. I do not feel I would doing a disservice to myself if I attend UNC, but... *Advantage Wake and Georgia.

I head a family of four and prefer not to move. Currently, we live 20 minutes from UNC. I am not opposed to getting a place M-F near Wake. I dread PACKING and moving 7 hours away (but I really like Athens). There are good school options for my children regardless of location. *Advantage UNC, especially if I were to get summer jobs in Raleigh/Durham.

I feel the legal market in the greater-Atlanta-area is stronger than the market in the entire state of NC (regardless of economic conditions - but currently, Charlotte is getting hit especially hard). On the otherhand, I really ehjoy living in NC after living here for one year. *Advantage Georgia.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I really like Carolina Blue over Black/Red or Black/Gold (but my yellow gold Day-Date looks good under a black shirt 8) ). I am also an ACC sports fan. *Advantage UNC. :oops:

I have not been offered any scholarships from these three schools (only from my safeties). *DISadvantage Wake, especially with the additional housing/commuting costs.

I have some other thoughts that I would rather not share for personal reasons and because this post is ridiculously long already.

BTW, if anyone would like to chime in with their thoughts, I would love to hear them.


As far as the UNC sports thing goes, unless you enjoy women's soccer and Roy Williams drastically improves the basketball program, I wouldn't use that as a consideration! (This is coming from a Kentucky fan lol) ;)

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:47 pm

kalvano wrote:
S de Garmeaux wrote:Regarding the seat deposit, can it only be by check in the mail? If i want to write and mail a check either today or tomorrow, would i still meet the April 1 deadline? Post date?

If anyone has already spoken to WF about this, let me know



Only check by mail, must be dated by April 1st. I called.


I would suggest e-mailing them today or tomorrow letting them know the deposit is in the mail. That way they know in case the check is delayed.

d-cannon
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby d-cannon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:10 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:
As far as the UNC sports thing goes, unless you enjoy women's soccer and Roy Williams drastically improves the basketball program, I wouldn't use that as a consideration! (This is coming from a Kentucky fan lol) ;)


My wife is a UVa grad... 10+ years of supporting a perennial loser (the school, not her :wink: ). I wouldn't mind supporting a team that wins a Championship every decade. All three of my potential schools > UVa football and basketball.

tarheel87
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tarheel87 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:14 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:
d-cannon wrote:
sufjan wrote:so will you be at Wake in the fall?


I have a 3-way struggle in my mind between UNC (if accepted), Wake, and UGa. If UNC were to ding me, I would still have a tough decision to make. Some of my reasons are rational, others are - not so much. I feel that which ever one I pick, I will miss out on great experiences at the others.

After visiting all 3 schools multiple times, I feel that I "fit" best with Wake, with UGa in a close second. I think (as a 0L, my mind is open) I would like to be a litigator. A few of my friends in Virginia are partners at different mid-law firms and see the courtroom often. Wake and UGa seem to strengthen those skills if you choose the proper electives. I do not feel I would doing a disservice to myself if I attend UNC, but... *Advantage Wake and Georgia.

I head a family of four and prefer not to move. Currently, we live 20 minutes from UNC. I am not opposed to getting a place M-F near Wake. I dread PACKING and moving 7 hours away (but I really like Athens). There are good school options for my children regardless of location. *Advantage UNC, especially if I were to get summer jobs in Raleigh/Durham.

I feel the legal market in the greater-Atlanta-area is stronger than the market in the entire state of NC (regardless of economic conditions - but currently, Charlotte is getting hit especially hard). On the otherhand, I really ehjoy living in NC after living here for one year. *Advantage Georgia.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I really like Carolina Blue over Black/Red or Black/Gold (but my yellow gold Day-Date looks good under a black shirt 8) ). I am also an ACC sports fan. *Advantage UNC. :oops:

I have not been offered any scholarships from these three schools (only from my safeties). *DISadvantage Wake, especially with the additional housing/commuting costs.

I have some other thoughts that I would rather not share for personal reasons and because this post is ridiculously long already.

BTW, if anyone would like to chime in with their thoughts, I would love to hear them.


As far as the UNC sports thing goes, unless you enjoy women's soccer and Roy Williams drastically improves the basketball program, I wouldn't use that as a consideration! (This is coming from a Kentucky fan lol) ;)


Just when I thought I'd finally decided that I'd take Wake over UNC, Wake ignores my scholarship upgrade requests and UNC decides to debut all the girls in sundresses on campus. The Wake/UNC debate rages on as it has since TLS began.

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lml09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:31 pm

Just got my financial aid eligibility, submitted fafsa in late feb.

And tarheel87, Wake has girls in sundresses too, and IMO I think the Wake student body is considerably hotter than UNC :twisted:

User avatar
sufjan
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby sufjan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:41 pm

lml09 wrote:Just got my financial aid eligibility, submitted fafsa in late feb.


what does that involve? just confirmation that they received it or actual money?

User avatar
jlnoa0915
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:42 pm

Got the financial aid email too. Still need $ to be able to go though...

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lml09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:44 pm

sufjan wrote:
lml09 wrote:Just got my financial aid eligibility, submitted fafsa in late feb.


what does that involve? just confirmation that they received it or actual money?


loan eligibility

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:00 pm


Just when I thought I'd finally decided that I'd take Wake over UNC, Wake ignores my scholarship upgrade requests and UNC decides to debut all the girls in sundresses on campus. The Wake/UNC debate rages on as it has since TLS began.


Wait till after april 1 and call them.

They dont respond to e-mails, and wont be giving any addtl money till after apr 1.

User avatar
jss1100
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby jss1100 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Officially withdrew from Wake Forest today. Frees up 25k/yr for someone else.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”