Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blackmamba76

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby blackmamba76 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:32 am

Can anyone please provide information on how rejections are conveyed either through snail mail or e-mail? I noticed a few people have asked the same question recently, but no responses were provided. We are just trying to get some information to help us if y'all don't mind. I just saw that my status checker changed to "Decision Letter Pending" a few hours ago,and no email yet.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 am

blackmamba76 wrote:Can anyone please provide information on how rejections are conveyed either through snail mail or e-mail? I noticed a few people have asked the same question recently, but no responses were provided. We are just trying to get some information to help us if y'all don't mind. I just saw that my status checker changed to "Decision Letter Pending" a few hours ago,and no email yet.

Based off of previous responses from this thread, I believe that WF notifies acceptances and waitlists via email, and denials via mail.

Others can correct me if I am wrong.

Drockman

Postby Drockman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:02 am

Just withdrew today along with my 18K/yr scholarship. Good luck to whoever gets that 18K and an acceptance letter!

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 am

I was waitlisted via email. My status checker changed to "decision letter pending" and I didn't get the email until the next day. So if you don't get an email today, don't assume its a reject.

I also skimmed back through this thread when my checker changed and it looked like acceptances were also emailed. Good luck!

LiveFree

Postby LiveFree » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Does anyone know if Wake negotiates scholarships?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:26 pm

LiveFree wrote:Does anyone know if Wake negotiates scholarships?

They're not terribly receptive to it. It's worth a shot, but nobody that I have spoken to has been able to get them to budge too much.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:46 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:

They're not terribly receptive to it. It's worth a shot, but nobody that I have spoken to has been able to get them to budge too much.

+1.

Im working on it (and I've got a slightly better offer from a slightly better school). Hasn't gone great so far. I guess they figure they are generous enough with money taht they don't need to give you more.

Their loss when I go somewhere else.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

+1.

Im working on it (and I've got a slightly better offer from a slightly better school). Hasn't gone great so far. I guess they figure they are generous enough with money taht they don't need to give you more.

Their loss when I go somewhere else.

That's kind of the same thing I went through. Better offers from better schools and Wake refuses to budge. Even the better schools have been willing to negotiate the amount of the scholarship or the requirements to keep it. Not Wake though.

Gunners87

Postby Gunners87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Have also tried negotiating, I have a better offer from W&L which I am using. They said to wait until April 1st and then they will see what the funds they may re-allocate (if any).

LiveFree

Postby LiveFree » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Gunners87 wrote:Have also tried negotiating, I have a better offer from W&L which I am using. They said to wait until April 1st and then they will see what the funds they may re-allocate (if any).

I wonder why they named April 1st - I thought April 15th was the deposit deadline?

Gunners87

Postby Gunners87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:56 pm

LiveFree wrote:
Gunners87 wrote:Have also tried negotiating, I have a better offer from W&L which I am using. They said to wait until April 1st and then they will see what the funds they may re-allocate (if any).

I wonder why they named April 1st - I thought April 15th was the deposit deadline?

April 1st is the deadline for scholarship recipients. April 15th otherwise.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:56 pm

LiveFree wrote:

It is, but the scholarship deadline is the 1st.

GordonGekko

Postby GordonGekko » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:57 pm

April 1st is the deadline for those that received initial scholarship offers with their acceptance.

April 15 is the deadline for those who did not receive a scholarship at time of admission.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 pm

GordonGekko wrote:April 1st is the deadline for those that received initial scholarship offers with their acceptance.

April 15 is the deadline for those who did not receive a scholarship at time of admission.

Lets cross our fingers that april 1-15 is negotation time !

I can keep my scholarship at another school until the 15th, so I'm going to contact wake probably april 3rd or 4th and see what the dealio is.

Anyone else doing this? E-mail or phone? I'm thinking Phone, since when I e-mailed them they ignored me, but were forced to talk to me when I phoned.

Although the fact that I have to "force" them to talk to me about scholarship negotiation does not bode well... :cry:

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Well, I won't be receiving money from Iowa, so Wake Forest is my last great hope! Does anyone know if they do a "nomination" process like Iowa (meaning there are several people who have been nominated for a scholarship and may receive one if money becomes available)?

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Tomorrow I will most likely be automatically withdrawn. I requested an increase weeks ago and have been told I'm on the radar for one, but I'm unable/not paying the deposit by the first, so I'm not sure how that will work out. If not, I have a pretty good deal at two other places :(

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:35 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Tomorrow I will most likely be automatically withdrawn. I requested an increase weeks ago and have been told I'm on the radar for one, but I'm unable/not paying the deposit by the first, so I'm not sure how that will work out. If not, I have a pretty good deal at two other places :(

Have you considered putting down a deposit and seeing if you can get anything extra by april 15th? 300 dollars does suck though.

If you don't mind me asking, where are the other two places?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:29 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:Tomorrow I will most likely be automatically withdrawn. I requested an increase weeks ago and have been told I'm on the radar for one, but I'm unable/not paying the deposit by the first, so I'm not sure how that will work out. If not, I have a pretty good deal at two other places :(

Have you considered putting down a deposit and seeing if you can get anything extra by april 15th? 300 dollars does suck though.

If you don't mind me asking, where are the other two places?

Also curious!

I requested a scholarship increase/drop of grade requirement last week citing better offers from higher ranked/comparable schools and have heard nothing from Wake. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger and send in that $300 ... looks like my gut is going to make the decision for me on this one.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:08 am

UNC and W&L. I wasn't as impressed with UNC during ASD, but I think my expectations may have been way to high. As time has passed I realize it really wasn't that bad, it's just their recruiting pitch wasn't all that great, I think their law school is still awesome. W&L has a lot for it also, the 3rd year program sounds great, and I just get the sense that learning is personal at W&L (small school, tight network, more one on one interaction with prof). So ultimately I think I would be happy at any of the three. What about you guys?

sailgclass

Postby sailgclass » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:28 am

LSATfromNC wrote:UNC and W&L. I wasn't as impressed with UNC during ASD, but I think my expectations may have been way to high. As time has passed I realize it really wasn't that bad, it's just their recruiting pitch wasn't all that great, I think their law school is still awesome. W&L has a lot for it also, the 3rd year program sounds great, and I just get the sense that learning is personal at W&L (small school, tight network, more one on one interaction with prof). So ultimately I think I would be happy at any of the three. What about you guys?

I'm in the same club minus an acceptance from UNC (which I'm anxiously awaiting). I think all three are great schools, although for employment in NC, UNC takes the cake. I haven't visited W&L yet, but I'm going this weekend. The small size of the law school and town are big draws for me. I think ultimately I'll choose which will be the cheapest. I wouldn't pay more to go to wake. But if you really want to stay in NC, think hard about UNC. 6 out of 7 NC Supreme Court Justices have their JD from UNC. It certainly is the premier law school for NC.

Personally, I'm not into UNC and W&L gave me some $, whereas Wake was purpotedly tapped by the time I was accepted, so as it stands I'm going to try and negotiate more money from W&L and be happy in Lexington. Not that the rankings are super valueable, but just a few years ago W&L was 20. It's prestige in VA is definitely something to think about.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:58 am

For those of you who already sent in your deposit, did you get any confirmation that Wake got it, like an email or something?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:06 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:UNC and W&L. I wasn't as impressed with UNC during ASD, but I think my expectations may have been way to high. As time has passed I realize it really wasn't that bad, it's just their recruiting pitch wasn't all that great, I think their law school is still awesome. W&L has a lot for it also, the 3rd year program sounds great, and I just get the sense that learning is personal at W&L (small school, tight network, more one on one interaction with prof). So ultimately I think I would be happy at any of the three. What about you guys?

I visited W&L when I went to WF, and I got the same impression...except I got the impression it's because there is nothing else to do. I'm cool with a small town, but that was a little too small.

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 pm

lml09 wrote:For those of you who already sent in your deposit, did you get any confirmation that Wake got it, like an email or something?

no. i thought about calling to confirm but saw that the check had cleared in my account..that's confirmation enough

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

I am impressed that WF has maintained its ranking over the last ten years, considering how limited its offerings were for clinics, journals, and such.

I believe in the next ten years, Wake will move up in the rankings as its reputation grows, since the current Dean has created many new offerings in clinics and journals. The Dean has also "hit the street" marketing Wake Law nationwide, especially in DC, where he has been favorably received.

Both UNC and WF are great schools. UNC gets the nod for PI placement where WF is gaining momentum in the mid-big law arena (comparatively, of course).

The question is: where do YOU fit?

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:10 pm

d-cannon wrote:I am impressed that WF has maintained its ranking over the last ten years, considering how limited its offerings were for clinics, journals, and such.

I believe in the next ten years, Wake will move up in the rankings as its reputation grows, since the current Dean has created many new offerings in clinics and journals. The Dean has also "hit the street" marketing Wake Law nationwide, especially in DC, where has has been favorably received.

Both UNC and WF are great schools. UNC gets the nod for PI placement where WF is gaining momentum in the mid-big law arena (comparatively, of course).

The question is: where do YOU fit?

so will you be at Wake in the fall?

is PI public interest law? what does constitutes public interest law?
Last edited by sufjan on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”