Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
minkins

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby minkins » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:56 pm

I figured in the wake (ha!) of the 30k fake scholarship I'd ask about any REAL ones and just got an email back from Melanie saying that they're basically just waiting on people with money to withdraw... :?

Not saying that means no one else will get a scholarship right now but my guess is that you would need amazing numbers and/or some really special softs.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:I was accepted about 10 days ago. I did get the infamous "30k....yoink" e-mail series, so not getting this email has buoyed my spirits a bit.

I don't believe you are in the running for the Fletcher.

I believe you had to be at an Admitted Scholar's Day gathering to be considered.

Not true, I got the e-mail and haven't been to an ASD. You probably had to have been accepted by a certain date though to be considered, or maybe already a scholarship recipient at the time of deliberation.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:04 pm

kalvano wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:I was accepted about 10 days ago. I did get the infamous "30k....yoink" e-mail series, so not getting this email has buoyed my spirits a bit.

I believe you had to be at an Admitted Scholar's Day gathering to be considered.

Yeah, I had wondered about that, but I guess I didn't know if some of those who DID receive the "No Fletcher" email may have also not attended one of the Scholar's days. Well, in any case, there is no need to be too worried. I think I'd need Wake to at least match the scholarship I got from Washington and Lee to consider going there. However, I am planning to visit Wake late in March (probably around the 29th or 30th). Everyone seems to have rave reviews for the school, so I feel I owe it to myself to check it out.

madforsadness

Postby madforsadness » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:10 pm

missvik218 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Not true, I got the e-mail and haven't been to an ASD. You probably had to have been accepted by a certain date though to be considered, or maybe already a scholarship recipient at the time of deliberation.

This seems like it's probably correct. I didn't get the email but I was only admitted just over a week ago. I doubt I'm in the running with a 167 / foreign-educated 3.67. Still hoping for at least some scholarship money though.

fallguy

Postby fallguy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:12 pm

missvik218 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

No. You had to be there to be eligible. They made this very clear to me when I told them I couldn't make it before the deadline. They sent me the same email, even after they told me I was not eligible for the scholarship.

edit: you didn't have to go to Scholar's Day. You just had to get there before the deadline. They told me if I got there anytime before the deadline, I would be eligible. Otherwise, no dice.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:31 pm

fallguy wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

No. You had to be there to be eligible. They made this very clear to me when I told them I couldn't make it before the deadline. They sent me the same email, even after they told me I was not eligible for the scholarship.

edit: you didn't have to go to Scholar's Day. You just had to get there before the deadline. They told me if I got there anytime before the deadline, I would be eligible. Otherwise, no dice.

I didn't get the Fletcher, but Mrs. Nutt told me they considered me. I did not show up to any event but I am also in Mexico which makes traveling to NC a lot more expensive.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 pm

fallguy wrote:No. You had to be there to be eligible. They made this very clear to me when I told them I couldn't make it before the deadline. They sent me the same email, even after they told me I was not eligible for the scholarship.

Curious, I visited in the fall before I applied - maybe that counted?!

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 pm

I really wanted to travel out and visit earlier, but because I live in rural North Dakota, it's super-expensive to fly from here, and too far to drive (unless as part of a law-school-visit-roadtrip, which I'm planning for late March).

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 pm

fallguy wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:thanks, looks like i got the standard one. So, have they dinged my negotiation by not saying, "but we offer you x additional?"

Ahh, law school admissions, quit playing games with my heart.

I'm in the same boat with Wake right now. I was having the same thoughts as you. Let's hope this is not an end to negotiation for both of us.

Good to know some on else is in the same boat. Hopefully I'll hear back soon, since I think I'd rather go to Wake, but my current UGA scholly is hard to pass up unless Wake up's the ante.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:23 pm

...Does anyone else feel like everyone else who got admitted to wake got money except for them? :(

I've tried everything I could think of, from sending updated transcripts, resumes, even a letter basically begging to be considered for a scholarship..

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:25 pm

lml09 wrote:begging

that may be your problem

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:35 pm

lml09 wrote:...Does anyone else feel like everyone else who got admitted to wake got money except for them? :(

I've tried everything I could think of, from sending updated transcripts, resumes, even a letter basically begging to be considered for a scholarship..

I think 163/164 LSAT was kind of the cut-off for scholarship money.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:48 pm

lml09 wrote:...Does anyone else feel like everyone else who got admitted to wake got money except for them? :(

I'd wait it out, at least for a little longer. I was in your exact same position a little over a month ago (wondering why I got NO money when I'm only a point or so below people getting thousands per year). Got the fake scholarship email, and then a real one the next day for $18K a year. I'll be withdrawing soon, though...so hopefully that will help you out!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:28 pm

If you got accepted on 1/29 or later you have to wait for people to withdraw to get considered for money. Also, the LSAT cutoff seems to be 164, or 163 if you have a high gpa - as others have mentioned. We just have to be patient, which is incredibly hard.

minkins

Postby minkins » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:15 pm

I think it has to do with a) when you applied and b) credentials. I didn't apply until January and I won't be getting any money... and I have a 164.

But this is pretty much the case with EVERY school that I've applied to... they're all out of money by now. I don't understand why they even offer the LSAT in December and February when most schools have already given out / decided upon scholarships by the time those scores come out anyway. Why even have a March or February application deadline?

motedust

Postby motedust » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:33 pm

I applied in January as well but with a 168, still under Administrative Review (2/8?). Reallllyyyy hoping for some scholarship money but I did toss in my app pretty late.

set88

Postby set88 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:52 pm

motedust wrote:I applied in January as well but with a 168, still under Administrative Review (2/8?). Reallllyyyy hoping for some scholarship money but I did toss in my app pretty late.

You and I are in exactly the same position, same LSAT score with a late app. I'm wondering what the heck is taking them so long, and I guess I'm not the only one. Good to know.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 am

Just ordered some stuff online from the Wake Forest bookstore. :D Loaded up on $7 t-shirts.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:55 pm

set and mote, given that I got in with a 160, you all should be golden with 168s. My guess is they haven't started actually going through the apps just yet, you're just in the pile.

good luck!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:28 pm

lml09 wrote:Just ordered some stuff online from the Wake Forest bookstore. :D Loaded up on $7 t-shirts.

sick deal. The wake law shirt I got cost 27 large at the bookstore. Its super soft though.... I also got a kick-ass black nike long-sleeve.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:32 pm

lml09 wrote:Just ordered some stuff online from the Wake Forest bookstore. :D Loaded up on $7 t-shirts.

Any chance you have a link to the bookstore website?

lml09

Postby lml09 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:58 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:

Any chance you have a link to the bookstore website?

deaconshop.com. I could only find law stuff at the bookstore, but the online shop has some pretty nice deals going on. For example, super cute ladies cotton sweat pants for $13. I bought two.

motedust

Postby motedust » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Just got off the phone with a very nice lady at the admissions office. Called to check if they had received my february LSAT since I've been under review for a while. Said it would probably be another two weeks to get a decision. Hopefully I can get some money (3.03/168 with good explanation/addendum for GPA) cause that would be amazing and would definitely make WFU my top choice!! Exciting!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:07 pm

I got a personalized email from melanie nutt today in response to an email I send after the whole scholarship fiasco. While the facilities, reputation, and job placement of WF is solid, its the faculty and staff that makes WF stand out imo.

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:21 pm

moandersen wrote:I got a personalized email from melanie nutt today in response to an email I send after the whole scholarship fiasco. While the facilities, reputation, and job placement of WF is solid, its the faculty and staff that makes WF stand out imo.

Was the email retracted 4 minutes later by another email sent by an assistant?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”