Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
moandersen

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 pm

I have a lot I want to say, so I apologize for the length of this post.

In regards to the scholarship email, the timing was quite hilarious. Not 30 minutes before, I had a nice conversation with Mrs. Nutt about financial aid after the ASD was over. And then as I was literally pulling out of the campus, I got the email (via my phone). I had my fiance read it to me since I was driving. Needless to say, after an impressive ASD, I was floored and turned around to make my way back to the law school to accept. Then as I was about to pull back in to the campus, I got the error email. Talk about your highs and lows! I knew it was not Mrs. Nutt's fault since she was still outside the law school talking to other prospective students as the email was sent out. Ya I was incredibly disappointed, but in no way did it change my thoughts on the school. I plan on emailing the admissions office today or tomorrow thanking them just so they can keep my name fresh in their heads and hopefully send out a REAL scholarship email my way in the coming weeks.

Now I know a lot was discussed previously about W-S and the food choices there, so here was my experience.....

If you are from a large city, W-S is about as lively and hip as a geriatric center. I expected that coming in, but it still shook me a little. The downtown area is small, and food choices are somewhat limited (especially on sundays!). The place we ate at saturday night was Foothill breweing - a bar/restaurant type place. When we got there, around 7pm, there was a 30 minute wait to be seated, so we decided to sit a the bar. Unfortunately, the whole place was understaffed and it took about 15 minutes for our order to be taken and over an hour to receive our food (we ordered sandwiches). The bartender kept apologizing and even gave my fiance a free drink - which was nice. Once we got our food, they messed up my order and burnt everything on both of our plates. Needless to say, we left wishing we went somewhere else.

The next morning we decided to try out Mary's of course. To our surprise, five minutes before the place opened, there was a line stretching the entire parking lot, waiting to get in. We waited over an hour to be seated. The food and service was good, but waiting an hour to be seated left a sour taste in our mouths. Get there 30 minutes early on a weekend day if you dont want to wait.

That evening (sunday), every place seemingly worth trying out was closed and we settled on a shady italian place in a strip mall just south of the WF campus. The food was on the salty side, but overall, it was good.

While in W-S we stayed at the Brookstown Inn, just south of downtown. It had some charm, but the accommodations were average at best. If we visit again, we will not be staying there.

Finally we checked out the infamous Hanes mall. its a large indoor mall. yay?

In summary, I thoroughly enjoyed WF, but would probably die (exaggeration) if i had to live in W-S after graduating. PM if you have any questions, and Ill try to answer them as best as I can.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 pm

MandyNC wrote:Fans of Wake (perhaps the fandom is heavily dented after yesterday's little fiasco)...

Assuming the ERROR e-mail does not follow, I also got an 18k scholarship from Wake just now.

I think I'm going to be in Chapel Hill this fall, and have always planned to be so. But I need to at least consider my options with a clear mind, so I want to be "sold" on Wake a little bit to at least know I've given it a full look. I am 90% sure I will be in North Carolina to start my career, but desire a level of mobility/flexibility depending on where my husband's career takes him. I'm attracted to the idea of doing biggish law for awhile (and seriously interested in litigation right now) but have deep roots in public interest and at least a lingering curiosity about academia. Basically I'm fairly certain and content that (if I'm lucky in a crap economy) I'll be practicing at a midsize firm in Raleigh or Charlotte in a few years, maybe opening a solo practice down the road, and quite happy ... but want to be able to explore other options and fates.

So, now that the prices are equal - what about Wake?

#s?

MandyNC

Postby MandyNC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:36 pm

163/3.7

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:58 pm

lishi wrote:And honestly I'd probably be glad that you weren't actually attending here if you can't understand that in the real world mistakes are made, and you have to pick yourself up and move on. The staff is incredible here and everyone makes mistakes.

It seems like you guys are offended that I withdrew after they made a mistake. In no way do I think I am perfect; I made mistakes on correspondence with schools. I already have a full ride to a school closely ranked with WFU. The email made it very easy for me to withdraw. I don't see why that draws such criticism? As far as I am concerned I have every right to withdraw, and you have every right to consider it a minor error.

As for them being the highest ranked school I have been accepted to, that is completely true. My withdrawal just shows that I agree with the consensus that, outside of the top 20 or so, rank matters little to none. Good luck with the rest of your WFU experience.

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:10 pm

jesus loves you

best of luck to you as well

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:29 pm

go deacs!
Last edited by women'ssoccer on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

one&only

Postby one&only » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:35 pm

What would have happen if I had replied immediately to the scholarship e/mail by effectively withdrawing my other applications and paying my deposit, all this done before the second email was sent?

Would that be considered an acceptance of the offer and the formation of a binding contract between WF and me?

Legit questions and all the more reason to go to law school.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:42 pm

one&only wrote:What would have happen if I had replied immediately to the scholarship e/mail by effectively withdrawing my other applications and paying my deposit, all this done before the second email was sent?

Would that be considered an acceptance of the offer and the formation of a binding contract between WF and me?

There was a comment about this on ATL. If you could prove that you withdrew from another school in the time between the e-mails, you might have a strong argument.

mudbug25

Postby mudbug25 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:01 pm

moanderson,

Being that I know Winston-Salem better than most, I'd say your assesment is fair all around and reminds me very much of my first impressions of the place.

However, I have to say that (especially with regard to restaurants), it is not as destitute as it might seem at first. W-S gives a bad first impression to almost anyone from a large city, but what happens is you naturally learn the place over a few months (I speak from experience). You learn which off the beaten path restaurants are good, and which ones are open on Sundays, for example.

Bottom line: If you need endless options for places to spend your time, you will find that Winston-Salem falls short. However, if you are willing to put in some effort to find the good spots, and learn what's going on, then you will find that the town has more to offer than you thought it did after your first impression. Maybe for some (most?) people that's not saying much, but it is true nonetheless.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:12 pm

chrisokc wrote:
one&only wrote:What would have happen if I had replied immediately to the scholarship e/mail by effectively withdrawing my other applications and paying my deposit, all this done before the second email was sent?

There was a comment about this on ATL. If you could prove that you withdrew from another school in the time between the e-mails, you might have a strong argument.

I'm *more* than sure at least one person must have done something like this without bothering to check the second email.

TarheelHopeful

Postby TarheelHopeful » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Does anybody know where any newer housing is in Winston-Salem? Everything seems so old, and I'd prefer something updated. I'm willing to live around the Hanes Mall area or a few miles away from campus. Also, I guess there is no bussing system?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:42 pm

mudbug25 wrote:moanderson,

Being that I know Winston-Salem better than most, I'd say your assesment is fair all around and reminds me very much of my first impressions of the place.

However, I have to say that (especially with regard to restaurants), it is not as destitute as it might seem at first. W-S gives a bad first impression to almost anyone from a large city, but what happens is you naturally learn the place over a few months (I speak from experience). You learn which off the beaten path restaurants are good, and which ones are open on Sundays, for example.

Bottom line: If you need endless options for places to spend your time, you will find that Winston-Salem falls short. However, if you are willing to put in some effort to find the good spots, and learn what's going on, then you will find that the town has more to offer than you thought it did after your first impression. Maybe for some (most?) people that's not saying much, but it is true nonetheless.

I dont mind that there isnt too much to do/places to eat since it will probably help me focus on school and not spend a lot of money. During the luncheon I had a great conversation with a 3L about the cheap year-round golfing! Definitely a plus. :mrgreen:

tarheel-

are you talking about houses or apts? I was able to find some of the apt complexes north of wf and for the most part they are old with a few 'newer' ones here and there.

lishi

Postby lishi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:49 pm

There are Wake buses that will take you to school if you live at a Crowne apartment.

Also what is your definition of old? I hear that Crowne Polo was built in around 2004, to me that isn't old, but to some it may be.

TarheelHopeful

Postby TarheelHopeful » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Hey guys - I am referring to houses. I have 2 labs and want/need a fenced in yard. Also, 2004 is not old to me. I guess anything after 2000ish would be pretty new! Just something updated.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:44 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:Hey guys - I am referring to houses. I have 2 labs and want/need a fenced in yard. Also, 2004 is not old to me. I guess anything after 2000ish would be pretty new! Just something updated.

We drove around looking at houses on Craigslist, there weren't many with a fenced yard in a decent area, it seemed. We found a few, but not many. It seems you have to go a little outside W-S to find them.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:08 pm

So, I was driving/flying all day yesterday, and only got around to checking my email today. After the initial exhilaration of the 30k offer, I went through (instantaneously) all 5 stages of grief in the course of reading the two follow-up emails. If it were any other school, I'd have just sent out a withdrawal email, but because they've been so amazing in the admissions office, I'm kindof okay with it.

sk08

Postby sk08 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 pm

In regard to the buses, I went to WFU undergrad and lived in Crowne oaks for 1.5 years. I never saw a bus from the Crownes to Wake, unless this is a new development which is actually a great idea b/c parking in the crownes/on campus is always a problem.

surewood

Postby surewood » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:39 pm

The buses are a new (this year) University initiative. The hope is that it will decrease the number of commuter students driving to campus (there is a major parking shortage on campus). The shuttle bus runs to Deacon Ridge, the crowns and Alaris Village.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:32 pm

just got the "you didn't get fletcher e-mail"

oh well

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:37 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:just got the "you didn't get fletcher e-mail"

oh well

Me too.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 pm

I did too, but I wasn't really thinking I was a strong candidate anyway.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:43 pm

sk08 wrote:In regard to the buses, I went to WFU undergrad and lived in Crowne oaks for 1.5 years. I never saw a bus from the Crownes to Wake, unless this is a new development which is actually a great idea b/c parking in the crownes/on campus is always a problem.

Also lived in Croaks and never saw any buses, but did hear about the new plan. I doubt it's anything you'd want to use if it does go through the Crownes, Deacon Ridge, and other places on campus. It would takes less time walking I would imagine (but the walk sucks...I've done it). It's probably one of those things that's available, but it'd be a bitch to use. Just my 2 cents...

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:45 pm

oh well

Ditto...the only reason why I haven't withdrawn already is because I wanted to see if I had a chance at it. Will be withdrawing today.

Edit: Hope my 84K goes to one of you guys.

elliwg6

Postby elliwg6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:48 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:
sk08 wrote:In regard to the buses, I went to WFU undergrad and lived in Crowne oaks for 1.5 years. I never saw a bus from the Crownes to Wake, unless this is a new development which is actually a great idea b/c parking in the crownes/on campus is always a problem.

Also lived in Croaks and never saw any buses, but did hear about the new plan. I doubt it's anything you'd want to use if it does go through the Crownes, Deacon Ridge, and other places on campus. It would takes less time walking I would imagine (but the walk sucks...I've done it). It's probably one of those things that's available, but it'd be a bitch to use. Just my 2 cents...

its new this year, midway through the fall semester bc parking was (is) an absolute nightmare. they leave every half hour and hour, well at least from crowne polo, run till like 6 or something. im not totally sure, i drive. but it definitely exists, no fears

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:

oh well

Ditto...the only reason why I haven't withdrawn already is because I wanted to see if I had a chance at it. Will be withdrawing today.

Edit: Hope my 84K goes to one of you guys.

In your withdraw letter, please make specific note for a portion of your scholarship money to be sent my way. Thanks, I appreciate it. :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”