Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TWoodWil

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby TWoodWil » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:17 pm

akili wrote:I think it's because Melanie was at the lunch/student panel thing this afternoon. I left campus and she was still talking to people.

No doubt offering them 30k scholarships, then catching them in the parking lot and taking the offer back.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:19 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
akili wrote:I think it's because Melanie was at the lunch/student panel thing this afternoon. I left campus and she was still talking to people.

No doubt offering them 30k scholarships, then catching them in the parking lot and taking the offer back.

Win.

minkins

Postby minkins » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:19 pm

It's really frustrating that someone couldn't take two minutes to double check the list of people getting basically a FULL RIDE. Like you're willing to give a person $90,000 but can't make sure they actually get the email? :roll: If one of us put another school's name in a personal statement or LOCI, we'd be rejected immediately.

But I'm curious what email group we all belong to. Losers who get nothing, admits who get a little $, what?

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:20 pm

TWoodWil wrote:

lol..nice.

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:22 pm

minkins wrote:It's really frustrating that someone couldn't take two minutes to double check the list of people getting basically a FULL RIDE. Like you're willing to give a person $90,000 but can't make sure they actually get the email? :roll: If one of us put another school's name in a personal statement or LOCI, we'd be rejected immediately.

But I'm curious what email group we all belong to. Losers who get nothing, admits who get a little $, what?

my bet is admits who get a little $

your numbers are slightly better than mine and i got half

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

lol. nutt me.

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 pm

get over it. a sweet, older lady sent out an extremely important email in error.

if an erroneous email is enough to make you go from attending (strongly considering attending) to withdrawing, then i think you're dumb.

WFU admissions office is easily the best i've dealt with out of the 10 schools I've dealth with.

plus, '09 stats flying around TLS indicate that WFU is on the up and up employment wise--relative to general economic down-turn (they beat out UNC in both njl250 placement and clerkship hiring).

JayCole

Postby JayCole » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 pm

minkins wrote:The same thing just happened to me! I thought it was a little crazy to get such an awesome scholarship, my numbers aren't high enough for that. I just thought I was special :shock: Kind of embarrassing, for Wake and myself haha. I figured it was a good time to ask if I was getting anything...

+1 -- it hurt.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:26 pm

sufjan wrote:
minkins wrote:It's really frustrating that someone couldn't take two minutes to double check the list of people getting basically a FULL RIDE. Like you're willing to give a person $90,000 but can't make sure they actually get the email? :roll: If one of us put another school's name in a personal statement or LOCI, we'd be rejected immediately.

Maybe every admit who wasn't already awarded money?

Has anyone called and spoke to someone?

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:29 pm

women'ssoccer wrote:get over it. a sweet, older lady sent out an extremely important email in error.

if an erroneous email is enough to make you go from attending (strongly considering attending) to withdrawing, then i think you're dumb.

WFU admissions office is easily the best i've dealt with out of the 10 schools I've dealth with.

plus, '09 stats flying around TLS indicate that WFU is on the up and up employment wise--relative to general economic down-turn (they beat out UNC in both njl250 placement and clerkship hiring).

+1

oh em gee

Postby oh em gee » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:33 pm

women'ssoccer wrote:get over it. a sweet, older lady sent out an extremely important email in error.

+1
(First post because I feel so strongly about this)

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:35 pm

lml09 wrote:
sufjan wrote:

Maybe every admit who wasn't already awarded money?

Has anyone called and spoke to someone?

Ok..so I just called, apparently it was an email meant to go out to one person, except that they sent it to an email that I suppose contained all the email addresses of admitted students who haven't received a scholly yet. She was very nice and extremely apologetic, as she should be lol. Personally, I knew there had to be a mistake because really, with a 164/3.4, I'm expecting no more than 25k if I received one. At least we know that they're still handing out scholarships under the table, so maybe some people will hear before April 1st after all!

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:36 pm

I agree with this.

However, as someone mentioned earlier... lets say you accidentally wrote a different school's name in your letter to Wake... you would expect them to hold that against you, no?

I don't blame people for letting this knock down Wake in their eyes, but people ready to burn bridges should probably chill out.

GatorBait09

Postby GatorBait09 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:40 pm

I understand what you're saying and that people make mistakes, but you have to realize that this is the real world and she is the director of admissions at Wake Forest University. Obviously I don't think any of us are calling for her head, but if she were the CEO of a somewhat legitimate corporation, she'd be fired. This wasn't the most complicated email to send out. And as stated before, anyone who would put the wrong school in a PS for WF would have been thrown in the trash.

She lost a lot of good students for WF today.

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:41 pm

I definitely agree. It's just not fun to get praised and shit on within a span of four minutes. I'm sure those victims who were dead set/strongly considering WF will go unscathed. I really think the screw-up will only affect those who were teetering on the fence and probably wouldn't have ended up there anyway without a legit $ offer. But just my bitter two cents. :)

johnnymathis

Postby johnnymathis » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:48 pm

i really hope you people are joking about the wrong scholarship email, you cant be serious that a small mistake like that could affect your decision to automatically withdraw. the admissions office have been very nice and professional throughout the whole process, and the fact they corrected their mistake within a timely manner should allow everyone to move on and hopefully still want to attend. on a side note im not sure if this has been posted already so if it has please disregard but wake ranks 31st for this past year in where their graduates placed. looks like we are on the come up go deacs!!

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Thought y'all would appreciate this.

--LinkRemoved--

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:10 pm

whatchootalkinbout wrote:Thought y'all would appreciate this.

--LinkRemoved--

lol NICE, they used my quote HAHA!

akili

Postby akili » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:10 pm

Just got the second apologetic email. I am appeased. Also, I just found out that Winston-Salem has a Chipotle and I'm going to eat there right now.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:22 pm

akili wrote:Just got the second apologetic email. I am appeased. Also, I just found out that Winston-Salem has a Chipotle and I'm going to eat there right now.

Yes, it was a nice follow up email. I've calmed down. :D

isn't the chipotle in the mall? I would be so happy if there was another stand alone one.

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:26 pm

We're back to food already? OK, I officially declare all ire resulting from the erroneous email to have sufficiently dissipated :shock:

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Holy shit, I got an amazing scholarship today!

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:29 pm

OMG WTF.

lml09

Postby lml09 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:30 pm

DNAgent wrote:We're back to food already? OK, I officially declare all ire resulting from the erroneous email to have sufficiently dissipated :shock:

It's amazing what tacos can do.

d-cannon

Postby d-cannon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:32 pm

DNAgent wrote:We're back to food already? OK, I officially declare all ire resulting from the erroneous email to have sufficiently dissipated :shock:

+1

However, I am sure that those who received the emails in real time (darn iPhone) are drinking more than those who checked their email after the 2nd was sent (and subsequently did not call family to tell them the good news). *hiccup*

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”