Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:26 am

keemos wrote:So I called again today after calling 3 weeks ago (I am very impatient) to ask about my status. After giving my name I was asked to hold on. About 3 minutes later the nice lady said that she had to get my file together and that I would be hearing back early next week, and she said it would be by email. I am assuming wait list as per my numbers (163/3.43) but I don't know why they didn't wait list me in the batches sent out the last couple of weeks. Anyways, more news coming for those of us waiting next week.


Thanks for the information. Just curious, when did you go complete?

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby keemos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:31 pm

UPDATE--So I just got an email that leaves me sort of confused. Is this a waitlist? I have never been wait listed before so I am not familiar with the wording. I thought wait lists said something more direct. This email makes it sound like they can't accept any more people right now...See above post for my phone call today. They got back to me much quicker than they said they would

"...At present we are unable to offer you immediate acceptance. However, we do feel you would be a very good fit with our program and we ask that you be patient with us just a bit longer. We do apologize for the inconvenience, please to do not hesitate to call or email us if you have any questions or concerns..."


Could anyone who was waitlisted confirm that this email is the one they received?
Last edited by keemos on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby keemos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:34 pm

traehekat wrote:
keemos wrote:So I called again today after calling 3 weeks ago (I am very impatient) to ask about my status. After giving my name I was asked to hold on. About 3 minutes later the nice lady said that she had to get my file together and that I would be hearing back early next week, and she said it would be by email. I am assuming wait list as per my numbers (163/3.43) but I don't know why they didn't wait list me in the batches sent out the last couple of weeks. Anyways, more news coming for those of us waiting next week.


Thanks for the information. Just curious, when did you go complete?



And I went complete around 1/12 I think

cr073137
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby cr073137 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:42 pm

keemos wrote:UPDATE--So I just got an email that leaves me sort of confused. Is this a waitlist? I have never been wait listed before so I am not familiar with the wording. I thought wait lists said something more direct. This email makes it sound like they can't accept any more people right now...See above post for my phone call today. They got back to me much quicker than they said they would

"...At present we are unable to offer you immediate acceptance. However, we do feel you would be a very good fit with our program and we ask that you be patient with us just a bit longer. We do apologize for the inconvenience, please to do not hesitate to call or email us if you have any questions or concerns..."


Could anyone who was waitlisted confirm that this email is the one they received?



I didn't receive such email, but it I have received similar ones and it looks like their are holding your for further review.

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby keemos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:54 pm

Is being held for further review better than being waitlisted? Do I now send an LOCI?

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Panther7 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:50 pm

keemos wrote:Is being held for further review better than being waitlisted? Do I now send an LOCI?


Hold just means they are seriously considering you and not sure whether to accept, WL, or deny. It's possible you could be on either edge of WL (i don't know how they do their process), but it's better than being dinged. Waitlist emails usually explicitly state "we offer you a spot on our waitlist" or something similar.

I'd hold off on a LOCI, as that's probably not part of what their debating, if you have a good LOR or something laying around, that might be worth it.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:54 pm

nutininut wrote:I scanned the sheet. I'm really bad at this, so it may not work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47921329@N08/4386808953/


La Botana. Rana Loca, Mary's, Krankies and Cafe Gelato.

Check.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby akili » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Excited to hopefully meet some of yall this Monday/weekend!

adk6
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby adk6 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm

I've been in "Administrative Review" since 2/16. How long does it generally take to get to "Committee Review?"

(I went complete on 2/1)

User avatar
klussy
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby klussy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:57 pm

a lady from the admissions office said that they will not offer scholarships until the deposit deadline, 4/1.
this doesn't seem fair, since others received $$ with my numbers and I only had my decision this monday. I won't be going to an ASD until (if) I hear back on money.

User avatar
sufjan
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby sufjan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:00 pm

klussy wrote:a lady from the admissions office said that they will not offer scholarships until the deposit deadline, 4/1.
this doesn't seem fair, since others received $$ with my numbers and I only had my decision this monday. I won't be going to an ASD until (if) I hear back on money.



when did you apply?

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:21 pm

klussy wrote:a lady from the admissions office said that they will not offer scholarships until the deposit deadline, 4/1.
this doesn't seem fair, since others received $$ with my numbers and I only had my decision this monday. I won't be going to an ASD until (if) I hear back on money.


Unfortunately, that's why it is better to apply earlier. If all the money is gone by the time they get to you, you get screwed (even if your numbers justify a scholarship). But, considering many who have received scholarships have already turned them down (and more will probably do so), I wouldn't give up hope. :lol:

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:08 pm

klussy wrote:a lady from the admissions office said that they will not offer scholarships until the deposit deadline, 4/1.
this doesn't seem fair, since others received $$ with my numbers and I only had my decision this monday. I won't be going to an ASD until (if) I hear back on money.


a lot of people are in your position buddy. if you were in the group that just received their acceptances, its possible you might even have to wait till after us 1/29 acceptances get our offers. im taking the other route and going to asd in hopes to improve my chances of $.

User avatar
lml09
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby lml09 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Does anyone know if there is a Wake Forest c/o 2013 thread created yet?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby keg411 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Applied today; finally I can join the rest of the south-wanting weak splitters :)!

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby akili » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm about to go explore W-S right now! So far so good...though I came in last night in the dark. The radio stations are really good! (at least compared to Spokane, WA)

User avatar
TarheelHopeful
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby TarheelHopeful » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Hey all - This may not be the right thread for this. If not, please redirect me!

Anyways, I went and visited Wake Forest today. (I go to UNC, so the drive is like an hour and 15 minutes). I just wanted to check out the area and the campus since I just don't have time to do it on a week day. I was a little dissapointed with the area; however, I was just informed that there is an amazing mall (Hanes) that I must have missed. Does anyone know if the housing is any newer towards the mall, or newer anywhere for that matter? Everything seems a little old. I'm not choosing a law school based on a mall, but I do want good dining, shopping, and entertainment options nearby. I am visiting UGA next weekend to compare. Any comments?

Thanks!

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby tstyler98 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:46 pm

lml09 wrote:Does anyone know if there is a Wake Forest c/o 2013 thread created yet?


I don't think there is a Wake Forest c/o 2013 thread, but there is a Facebook group for those admitted to Wake and deciding whether to go. It is located at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 0155809099.

acstas87
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby acstas87 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:22 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:Hey all - This may not be the right thread for this. If not, please redirect me!

Anyways, I went and visited Wake Forest today. (I go to UNC, so the drive is like an hour and 15 minutes). I just wanted to check out the area and the campus since I just don't have time to do it on a week day. I was a little dissapointed with the area; however, I was just informed that there is an amazing mall (Hanes) that I must have missed. Does anyone know if the housing is any newer towards the mall, or newer anywhere for that matter? Everything seems a little old. I'm not choosing a law school based on a mall, but I do want good dining, shopping, and entertainment options nearby. I am visiting UGA next weekend to compare. Any comments?

Thanks!


I arrived here from UGA today and haven't had a chance to look at the housing yet but was wondering about it myself. Hopefully I'll get to look around more later tomorrow before driving back. From what I've seen so far there's a good bit of housing on campus, but what I really want to know is where the grad students stay (and undergrads don't.)
I know at UGA the apartments are pretty rowdy and loud where undergrads cluster and want to avoid that.

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby SpencerPratt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
nutininut wrote:I scanned the sheet. I'm really bad at this, so it may not work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47921329@N08/4386808953/


La Botana. Rana Loca, Mary's, Krankies and Cafe Gelato.

Check.


I feel like I have to chime in here after spending 4 years in Winston-Salem.

I was an undergrad student at Wake, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt, as I was living the poor college life. If you are expecting to live the poor law student life, take my advice. My favorites are also probably popular among undergrads, but a good, cheap meal is a bonus for anyone.

For Mexican, hit up Mi Pueblo. No question. They had a special back in the day with 12 ounce drafts (Dos Equis ftw) for $1, while 32 oz drafts were $3.50. We used to order 3 12oz beers and a large mug. I think they've fixed that glitch, but it's still cheap as hell. Their queso is MONEY.

Rose's Deli on University Pkwy was also a big favorite. The Mark's special (#60 I believe - buffalo chx sub) is fantasic.

For pizza, burke st pizza is the way to go (especially after a night of drinking). Mellow Mushroom downtown is also great.

Other recommendations include Village Tavern, Carving Board, Millner's, and Ichiban.

Be weary of Opera House (bar) mixed drinks. Their normal drinks are a double at most bars. If you ask for a double rum and coke, you probably won't get any coke. This is a hot spot for undergrads on Thursday nights, so if you wanna creep on younger co-eds, this is your place to be.

Giving these recommendations is making me miss W-S. Not enough to spend another 3 years there, but Wake offers a great education and athletics in a cheap city. I'm probably leaving a lot out, but it's a good start.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:57 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:
nutininut wrote:I scanned the sheet. I'm really bad at this, so it may not work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47921329@N08/4386808953/


La Botana. Rana Loca, Mary's, Krankies and Cafe Gelato.

Check.


I feel like I have to chime in here after spending 4 years in Winston-Salem.

I was an undergrad student at Wake, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt, as I was living the poor college life. If you are expecting to live the poor law student life, take my advice. My favorites are also probably popular among undergrads, but a good, cheap meal is a bonus for anyone.

For Mexican, hit up Mi Pueblo. No question. They had a special back in the day with 12 ounce drafts (Dos Equis ftw) for $1, while 32 oz drafts were $3.50. We used to order 3 12oz beers and a large mug. I think they've fixed that glitch, but it's still cheap as hell. Their queso is MONEY.

Rose's Deli on University Pkwy was also a big favorite. The Mark's special (#60 I believe - buffalo chx sub) is fantasic.

For pizza, burke st pizza is the way to go (especially after a night of drinking). Mellow Mushroom downtown is also great.

Other recommendations include Village Tavern, Carving Board, Millner's, and Ichiban.

Be weary of Opera House (bar) mixed drinks. Their normal drinks are a double at most bars. If you ask for a double rum and coke, you probably won't get any coke. This is a hot spot for undergrads on Thursday nights, so if you wanna creep on younger co-eds, this is your place to be.

Giving these recommendations is making me miss W-S. Not enough to spend another 3 years there, but Wake offers a great education and athletics in a cheap city. I'm probably leaving a lot out, but it's a good start.


Wow, very good, thank you. And, to everyone, including the unc guy with the palm tree pic, IMO this thread has become an all-purpose wake thread... we have been talking about food and visits for quite a number of pages.

To the Wake undergrad:
Why do you miss it?
But why do you not miss it enough go back another three years?
I guess I would just like some clarity on your feelings.

I'm visiting UGA in a few weeks and think that Athens will probably be a much cooler town. But to me, law school is about more than town. Still, it makes it hard to pick wake when most reviews of W-S have been like yours: cool, but not all that. I have yet to come across anyone that completly loves it.

jfk20
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby jfk20 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:58 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:Anyways, I went and visited Wake Forest today. (I go to UNC, so the drive is like an hour and 15 minutes). I just wanted to check out the area and the campus since I just don't have time to do it on a week day. I was a little dissapointed with the area; however, I was just informed that there is an amazing mall (Hanes) that I must have missed. Does anyone know if the housing is any newer towards the mall, or newer anywhere for that matter? Everything seems a little old. I'm not choosing a law school based on a mall, but I do want good dining, shopping, and entertainment options nearby. I am visiting UGA next weekend to compare. Any comments?

Thanks!


I'm visiting Wake/UNC/Duke at the end of March. (It will be my first time in NC.) How would you compare the UNC/Duke area with the Wake Forest area?

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby SpencerPratt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:30 pm

The following is strictly my opinion and will probably differ from others who attended Wake, though I would think most would agree with some of these points.

Disclaimer: I'm from the DC area, so W-S was small-town living to me.

IMO there are two periods of time to live in Winston-Salem: during undergrad and when you want to begin a family. I had a great time living in Winston and do miss certain aspects, though they mainly revolve around tying the area to great college friends, college athletics (I hate not being able to attend Wake bball games right now), and cheap living. Bud light cases at Food Lion for $11.99 = awesome.

By the end of my four years, I was ready to get out. There aren't a lot of options when it comes to entertainment. The campus is 10 mins or so from downtown Winston, and no undergraduate students live down there. I'm sure grad students are scattered throughout the city, but downtown was mostly for going out for drinks for the undergraduate population. People say Greensboro isn't a far drive (which is true), but no one wants to take I-40 for 15 miles to go out. I like being able to take the metro down to Nationals stadium to catch a baseball game or into DC to hit up different bars. Neither is an option in Winston. I will say I heard grad students went to different hot spots, though, so I may have missed some solid places.

Out of everyone I knew at Wake, the only people who stayed were those going straight to grad school (usually the 5 year BS/MA Accountancy program which is great) or the small, small handful who went to work in Winston (there are some companies with branches there, but not many). Those who stayed to work are now entertaining moving out after being there for two years. It's not really a city for young professionals, so I was ready to get out when I graduated. Most grads move to Charlotte, Atlanta, or DC to work as they begin their careers.

Winston is also a very pretty area for those who like small town living and want to grow up in a gorgeous community. If you drive through the neighborhoods off Stratford Road, you will find some beautiful houses with moderate prices. I wouldn't want to grow up as a kid in Winston, but everyone is different. The professors I spoke with who obviously call Winston their home are very happy in the area, as their money goes a long way.

In the end, I'm assuming the law students who go to Wake will either move to Charlotte/Durham/Raleigh or out of NC, as Winston does not really have a legal market. I don't know about their ties to those cities (or Atlanta/DC/NYC), but I'm assuming they're very strong in the immediate area, as Wake obviously has a great name in North Carolina (and the entire Southeast). For those who enjoy smaller town living, Wake would be a fine place to spend three years. For those coming from big cities, I think it'd be a little bit of struggle. When you're 18/19 years old, the downtown scene isn't quite relevant, as bars won't admit you, and you have the campus bubble surrounding you. By senior year, most were bored with what the city had to offer.

Obviously law school is more about studying than partying, but you still need to take quality of living into account. Wake is known as a VERY challenging school, though I'm not sure the law school grading is as harsh (I believe there was an article in the school paper which stated the avg undergrad GPA was like a 2.9). I just wanted to point out why most who live there are ready to move out after a few years of schooling.

User avatar
motedust
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby motedust » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:12 am

I'm in Admin Review (2/8) and just got a 7 point boost on my lsat (161/168) with a 3.03 GPA so hopefully WFU gets it tomorrow and I hear from them soon!! Just had a mate head over there for undergrad (Demon Deacon Tennis!!) and he loves it. Good luck guys!

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:40 am

Thank you for that long post.

That was seriously helpful and kind of confirms what I was thinking: Not the best city, but some fun athletics and a few bars. I don't think I'd want to live there forever, but I think me and my (future as of august) wife would enjoy 3 years at wake.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, Baby Gaga, brinicolec, cephaschen, chasima, criley01, guybourdin, Mia93, notausername, piesandcookies, Snowjon, vho1791, Yahoo [Bot] and 23 guests