Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Margo1020
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Margo1020 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:50 pm

My question is where are all the stores? Like grocery stores and best buys and what not? Like a commericial area. All we really saw was a quiet residential area and a crappy business area. Is there a lot more commericial stuff near Hanes Mall?


Hanes Mall area has a lot of stores. Not sure about Best Buy, but there is a Target, movie theater, and Walmart all up University Parkway. Several grocery stores too. Reynolda Rd has a bunch, Stratford Rd (I think Whole Foods is there and Harris Teeter)... lots of places. It is just spread out.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:53 pm

moandersen wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:Interesting. When my Fiancee and I visited we looked at Wake (nice) the area immediately above it (nice residential) and the dowtown area-around 1st-5th street, the skyscraper area (which we found to be crappy). Oh and old winston salem too, which wasn't too exciting.

My question is where are all the stores? Like grocery stores and best buys and what not? Like a commericial area. All we really saw was a quiet residential area and a crappy business area. Is there a lot more commericial stuff near Hanes Mall?


Shoot. Im visiting Feb 27 - March 1 with my fiance, and we were hoping to spend a day in the city to see what its all about (we were especially curious about old winston-salem). I guess not much? Crap. Any other ideas as to how to spend a Sunday in the city?? I dont expect much since WS is a small town (we currently live in chicago), but they got to have something touristy for 20-somethings, right?


Well I mean my fiancee and I went to old salem tavern (in the historical district)... authentic tavern experience, waiters in costumes and stuff... we loved it. If you're in to that kind of thing its great. But I imagine it would only be fun so many times, and its definitly not cool as say, williamsburg, but still fun.

We drove around and looked at houses north of campus which was nice. A lot of small(ish) cheap, beautiful houses for rent/sale. But yeah, we were excited about the "city" aspect and it didn't seem to be there.

User avatar
let0927
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby let0927 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:37 pm

"My question is where are all the stores? Like grocery stores and best buys and what not? Like a commericial area. All we really saw was a quiet residential area and a crappy business area. Is there a lot more commericial stuff near Hanes Mall?"

Yes, I'm not from Winston but I'm from near there (Reidsville) and there are a ton of places but not many near the campus. Yes there are a lot of commercial businesses near Hanes Mall and pretty much down Silas Creek Pkwy, and a bunch of intersections off of I40. Not to mention 4 Seasons Mall roughly 20 minutes away down 40 as well.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Went under review today. What sort of time-table should I expect? (LSP puts me at a "consider," so take that fwiw.)

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby akili » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Went under review today. What sort of time-table should I expect? (LSP puts me at a "consider," so take that fwiw.)


I have very similar stats to you and I heard very quickly (and positively). I went complete on 1/11 and heard by 1/29. Good luck!

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 pm

let0927 wrote:"My question is where are all the stores? Like grocery stores and best buys and what not? Like a commericial area. All we really saw was a quiet residential area and a crappy business area. Is there a lot more commericial stuff near Hanes Mall?"

Yes, I'm not from Winston but I'm from near there (Reidsville) and there are a ton of places but not many near the campus. Yes there are a lot of commercial businesses near Hanes Mall and pretty much down Silas Creek Pkwy, and a bunch of intersections off of I40. Not to mention 4 Seasons Mall roughly 20 minutes away down 40 as well.


Thanks, and thanks to the others who sounded off as well. I mean i figured that stuff was there, but its good to hear it. I'm only 4 hours away (i live near uva) so I'll prob go again in a few weekends and take a broader look at the town.

Additionally,

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Went under review today. What sort of time-table should I expect? (LSP puts me at a "consider," so take that fwiw.)


FWIW, LSP is crap. Put me at weak consider, and I got a very nice scholly. I think a much, much more reliable way to look at chances is to check out the Graph for wake at LSN and see where your numbers fall.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Luis Gomez » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:09 am

I think the best way to find out what your chances are is to ask for a fee waiver and send your application ASAP.

User avatar
DNAgent
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby DNAgent » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:54 am

Winston-Salem may not be a bustling metropolis, but it seems to have it where it counts:

Local brewery: http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/index.html
Beer/Wine Merchant: --LinkRemoved--
Joint with lots of brews on tap: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4334
Center for Contemporary Art: http://www.secca.org/
Learn about the Moravians: http://www.oldsalem.org/
Winston-Salem Symphony: http://www.wssymphony.org/
Hanes Mall: --LinkRemoved--

First impressions are that downtown is still in a post-industrial slump but will probably explode as soon as the economy recovers enough to promote some real renovation. Plenty of very cool old factory real estate available with serious character.

That said, if you are looking for something W-S probably has it--it just won't necessarily be downtown. Google Maps and a 10-15 minute drive will find you whatever you are looking for.

User avatar
sufjan
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby sufjan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:10 am

Luis Gomez wrote:I think the best way to find out what your chances are is to ask for a fee waiver and send your application ASAP.


Luis - have you decided where you're going yet? My wife and I want a Spanish partner

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:32 am

DNAgent wrote:Winston-Salem may not be a bustling metropolis, but it seems to have it where it counts:

Local brewery: http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/index.html
Beer/Wine Merchant: --LinkRemoved--
Joint with lots of brews on tap: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4334
Center for Contemporary Art: http://www.secca.org/
Learn about the Moravians: http://www.oldsalem.org/
Winston-Salem Symphony: http://www.wssymphony.org/
Hanes Mall: --LinkRemoved--

First impressions are that downtown is still in a post-industrial slump but will probably explode as soon as the economy recovers enough to promote some real renovation. Plenty of very cool old factory real estate available with serious character.

That said, if you are looking for something W-S probably has it--it just won't necessarily be downtown. Google Maps and a 10-15 minute drive will find you whatever you are looking for.


W-S has sonic and chick-fil-a?! I almost dont need a scholarship to persuade me to attend anymore. any other solid/local fast food chains? unfortunately my fav (in and out) is on the other coast - is there a southeast equivalent? Haha, oh the factors that play into decisions....

User avatar
sufjan
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby sufjan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 am

moandersen wrote:W-S has sonic and chick-fil-a?! I almost dont need a scholarship to persuade me to attend anymore. any other solid/local fast food chains? unfortunately my fav (in and out) is on the other coast - is there a southeast equivalent? Haha, oh the factors that play into decisions....


trying to figure out if you're kidding....methinks not

chik-fil-a is pretty awesome though

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:16 pm

sufjan wrote:
moandersen wrote:W-S has sonic and chick-fil-a?! I almost dont need a scholarship to persuade me to attend anymore. any other solid/local fast food chains? unfortunately my fav (in and out) is on the other coast - is there a southeast equivalent? Haha, oh the factors that play into decisions....


trying to figure out if you're kidding....methinks not

chik-fil-a is pretty awesome though


Haha, im kidding. Kinda. Does it play a part of my decision? yes. Is it a minute part? yes. is chik-fil-a >= a scholarship? no, but its close!

Im really just trying to kill time at work since all I can think about is law school stuff and wondering if this is the morning WF is going to send my scholarship info.... sorry

User avatar
let0927
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby let0927 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:20 pm

moandersen wrote:
DNAgent wrote:Winston-Salem may not be a bustling metropolis, but it seems to have it where it counts:

Local brewery: http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/index.html
Beer/Wine Merchant: --LinkRemoved--
Joint with lots of brews on tap: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4334
Center for Contemporary Art: http://www.secca.org/
Learn about the Moravians: http://www.oldsalem.org/
Winston-Salem Symphony: http://www.wssymphony.org/
Hanes Mall: --LinkRemoved--

First impressions are that downtown is still in a post-industrial slump but will probably explode as soon as the economy recovers enough to promote some real renovation. Plenty of very cool old factory real estate available with serious character.

That said, if you are looking for something W-S probably has it--it just won't necessarily be downtown. Google Maps and a 10-15 minute drive will find you whatever you are looking for.


W-S has sonic and chick-fil-a?! I almost dont need a scholarship to persuade me to attend anymore. any other solid/local fast food chains? unfortunately my fav (in and out) is on the other coast - is there a southeast equivalent? Haha, oh the factors that play into decisions....

Yes, there is a Greensboro originating chain called Cookout. It's not the same style as In and Out (I've only eaten there once like 10 years ago) but similar. Really cheap and delicious. Everyone loves it. We have Carl Jr except it is called Hardees which is also a NC chain.

User avatar
let0927
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby let0927 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 pm

Let's take bids on when this batch will go out. I call dibs on Thursday afternoon.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Luis Gomez » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:25 pm

sufjan wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:I think the best way to find out what your chances are is to ask for a fee waiver and send your application ASAP.


Luis - have you decided where you're going yet? My wife and I want a Spanish partner


I sent you a pm.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby traehekat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Went into Committee Review on 2/15. Hope to receive a decision soon, I've become a lot more interested in WF since I applied.

User avatar
dhatfie1
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby dhatfie1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:07 pm

let0927 wrote:
moandersen wrote:
DNAgent wrote:Winston-Salem may not be a bustling metropolis, but it seems to have it where it counts:

Local brewery: http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/index.html
Beer/Wine Merchant: --LinkRemoved--
Joint with lots of brews on tap: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4334
Center for Contemporary Art: http://www.secca.org/
Learn about the Moravians: http://www.oldsalem.org/
Winston-Salem Symphony: http://www.wssymphony.org/
Hanes Mall: --LinkRemoved--

First impressions are that downtown is still in a post-industrial slump but will probably explode as soon as the economy recovers enough to promote some real renovation. Plenty of very cool old factory real estate available with serious character.

That said, if you are looking for something W-S probably has it--it just won't necessarily be downtown. Google Maps and a 10-15 minute drive will find you whatever you are looking for.


W-S has sonic and chick-fil-a?! I almost dont need a scholarship to persuade me to attend anymore. any other solid/local fast food chains? unfortunately my fav (in and out) is on the other coast - is there a southeast equivalent? Haha, oh the factors that play into decisions....

Yes, there is a Greensboro originating chain called Cookout. It's not the same style as In and Out (I've only eaten there once like 10 years ago) but similar. Really cheap and delicious. Everyone loves it. We have Carl Jr except it is called Hardees which is also a NC chain.


Hardees is much bigger than a NC chain, and it is delish!

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby missvik218 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

sufjan wrote:it's a few short hours from charlotte .. ?

Just one hour from Charlotte .. if you really can't find anything to do in WS. And yes most of the shopping and chain stores are out closer to the Hanes Mall.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby moandersen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:49 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:Hardees is much bigger than a NC chain, and it is delish!


There arent any hardees in chicago, but if its part of carls jr, then ill pass. when it comes to that kind of food, i prefer jack in the box (which isnt in chicago either). lets move on to classier joints.....

hows the ethnic food in w-s? authentic italian, greek, mexican, puerto rican, spanish (tapas ftw), chinese, japanese, thai....etc.

I have a feeling that if i move to nc, a lot of this will be lacking because w-s is a small town. i do however love bbq, and i hear nc is the place to be for quality vinegar-based bbq.

User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby Threepeat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:55 pm

moandersen wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:Hardees is much bigger than a NC chain, and it is delish!


There arent any hardees in chicago, but if its part of carls jr, then ill pass. when it comes to that kind of food, i prefer jack in the box (which isnt in chicago either). lets move on to classier joints.....

hows the ethnic food in w-s? authentic italian, greek, mexican, puerto rican, spanish (tapas ftw), chinese, japanese, thai....etc.

I have a feeling that if i move to nc, a lot of this will be lacking because w-s is a small town. i do however love bbq, and i hear nc is the place to be for quality vinegar-based bbq.


How have some of you people not heard of Hardee's? They're all over here in Indiana.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:01 pm

moandersen wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:Hardees is much bigger than a NC chain, and it is delish!


There arent any hardees in chicago, but if its part of carls jr, then ill pass. when it comes to that kind of food, i prefer jack in the box (which isnt in chicago either). lets move on to classier joints.....

hows the ethnic food in w-s? authentic italian, greek, mexican, puerto rican, spanish (tapas ftw), chinese, japanese, thai....etc.

I have a feeling that if i move to nc, a lot of this will be lacking because w-s is a small town. i do however love bbq, and i hear nc is the place to be for quality vinegar-based bbq.


You might want to study up if you're looking for vinegar-based BBQ. Winston Salem is a little farther west in NC than most restaurants with that type BBQ, but it is kind of on the line for eastern/western BBQ. I guess there may be a few vinegar-based BBQ joints in WS though. This might help. (I haven't really had time to read the article though, so it may not).
http://www.northcarolinatravels.com/food/barbecue/index.htm

User avatar
S de Garmeaux
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10 pm

moandersen wrote:hows the ethnic food in w-s? authentic italian, greek, mexican, puerto rican, spanish (tapas ftw), chinese, japanese, thai....etc.


from what i heard at ASD, the area has a large greek population and an ever growing population of mexican immigrants. I was pretty surprised to hear about the relative abundance of mexican food.

User avatar
dhatfie1
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby dhatfie1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Threepeat wrote:
moandersen wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:Hardees is much bigger than a NC chain, and it is delish!


There arent any hardees in chicago, but if its part of carls jr, then ill pass. when it comes to that kind of food, i prefer jack in the box (which isnt in chicago either). lets move on to classier joints.....

hows the ethnic food in w-s? authentic italian, greek, mexican, puerto rican, spanish (tapas ftw), chinese, japanese, thai....etc.

I have a feeling that if i move to nc, a lot of this will be lacking because w-s is a small town. i do however love bbq, and i hear nc is the place to be for quality vinegar-based bbq.


How have some of you people not heard of Hardee's? They're all over here in Indiana.


lol Agreed. It's the bees knees here in KY.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby missvik218 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:
moandersen wrote:hows the ethnic food in w-s? authentic italian, greek, mexican, puerto rican, spanish (tapas ftw), chinese, japanese, thai....etc.


from what i heard at ASD, the area has a large greek population and an ever growing population of mexican immigrants. I was pretty surprised to hear about the relative abundance of mexican food.

JIMMY THE GREEK'S!!! Go for breakfast!

http://www.jimmythegreekrestaurant.com/

User avatar
let0927
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby let0927 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:35 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:
let0927 wrote:
moandersen wrote:
DNAgent wrote:Winston-Salem may not be a bustling metropolis, but it seems to have it where it counts:

Local brewery: http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/index.html
Beer/Wine Merchant: --LinkRemoved--
Joint with lots of brews on tap: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4334
Center for Contemporary Art: http://www.secca.org/
Learn about the Moravians: http://www.oldsalem.org/
Winston-Salem Symphony: http://www.wssymphony.org/
Hanes Mall: --LinkRemoved--

First impressions are that downtown is still in a post-industrial slump but will probably explode as soon as the economy recovers enough to promote some real renovation. Plenty of very cool old factory real estate available with serious character.


W-S has sonic and chick-fil-a?! I almost dont need a scholarship to persuade me to attend anymore. any other solid/local fast food chains? unfortunately my fav (in and out) is on the other coast - is there a southeast equivalent? Haha, oh the factors that play into decisions....

Yes, there is a Greensboro originating chain called Cookout. It's not the same style as In and Out (I've only eaten there once like 10 years ago) but similar. Really cheap and delicious. Everyone loves it. We have Carl Jr except it is called Hardees which is also a NC chain.


Hardees is much bigger than a NC chain, and it is delish!


Hardees was created in Greenville, NC which is why I say NC chain. I go to ECU and that is one of the trivia questions around here
That said, if you are looking for something W-S probably has it--it just won't necessarily be downtown. Google Maps and a 10-15 minute drive will find you whatever you are looking for.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], canafsa, mse2020, smartmoon, uhwrestler and 6 guests