Wake Forest 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jayce504

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Postby jayce504 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 pm

harry0569 wrote:Is it even worth calling the Admissions Office to clarify?

It's completely worth it considering that my future hangs in the balance. On the other hand, they're probably inundated with calls about statuses, and according to last year's forum they're not supposed to tell you the final decision anyway. Looks like I'll just be waiting this one out and hoping for a "congratulations" status change.

akili

Postby akili » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Has anyone else who got the decision on 1/31 gotten their print acceptance letter? I kind of want to put it on my wall.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:36 pm

akili wrote:Has anyone else who got the decision on 1/31 gotten their print acceptance letter? I kind of want to put it on my wall.

Nothing in the mail from WF yet. They have been extremely quiet for the past two weeks. I even emailed them a couple basic questions early in the week and have yet to receive a reply. Kinda bummed. My WF buzz is starting to wear off..... :|

kp009

Postby kp009 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:39 pm

akili wrote:Has anyone else who got the decision on 1/31 gotten their print acceptance letter? I kind of want to put it on my wall.

Just received one today in FL from my 1/29 acceptance so I'd say give it a few more days.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:05 pm

Those of you considering Wake vs UNC what are your opinions, and which one are you leaning towards?

I haven't visited UNC yet so I'm not sure yet, but I definitely liked the small size (personal attention) that Wake seems to offer. My undergrad only had 20 or so people to a class and I am not sure I want to be in a class of 80 people like UNC has.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:11 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Those of you considering Wake vs UNC what are your opinions, and which one are you leaning towards?

I haven't visited UNC yet so I'm not sure yet, but I definitely liked the small size (personal attention) that Wake seems to offer. My undergrad only had 20 or so people to a class and I am not sure I want to be in a class of 80 people like UNC has.

I'll be visiting Wake and UNC the weekend of the 26th this month, I'll let you know what I think if you don't see it before than. (hopefully I will have a UNC acceptance by then also :shock: )

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:46 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Those of you considering Wake vs UNC what are your opinions, and which one are you leaning towards?

Wake's law school is much nicer than UNC's.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:53 pm

It's been fun you guys but I will be disembarking from this thread. I've decided to attend W&L. This was a very hard choice though as Wake was a very close second. Good luck to all of you and I hope you all end up where you want to be next fall.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:20 am

Did everyone who received a scholarship offer get the top 2/3 of the class stipulation? From what I've seen, it seems that everyone did. Anyone happen to know the retention rate for scholarships? It seems pretty obvious that at least a few people would lose their scholarships since practically everyone gets money to attend WF.

FUMAgrad05

Postby FUMAgrad05 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:29 am

Anyone get acceptances today? I thought the consensus was every other Friday? No change from admin review for me yet

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:46 am

tstyler98 wrote:

This. The campus is very, very pretty and the building itself was nicely laid out and comfortable-feeling.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:30 am

kalvano wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:

This. The campus is very, very pretty and the building itself was nicely laid out and comfortable-feeling.

There are some negatives to be considered. For instance, while the school is small in population, students still complain of cramped social spaces. What’s more, students interviewed by the Princeton Review used such words as “awful” and “drab” when asked to describe the school’s facilities. They even complained of cold classrooms and a shortage of bathrooms.

From the TLS profile on WF.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:30 am

I remember some people at the ASD complaining it was drafty in the school.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:09 am

traehekat wrote:
kalvano wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:

There are some negatives to be considered. For instance, while the school is small in population, students still complain of cramped social spaces. What’s more, students interviewed by the Princeton Review used such words as “awful” and “drab” when asked to describe the school’s facilities. They even complained of cold classrooms and a shortage of bathrooms.

The classrooms are all on the 1st floor, so I'm sure it can get a bit crowded with all students trying to get to class at the same time, especially since all classes end at the same time and start at the same time. I'll agree that the classrooms themselves were a little on the blah side, but who cares. You aren't there to stare at the walls. The hallways and library were pretty nice. The two bathrooms I went in were a little sparse. One had one stall, and the other had 2 (maybe 3). I can see how this would get aggravating if multiple people were trying to quickly go between classes. It wasn't by any means hot in the school on the day we were there, but it wasn't cold either. I've worked in some offices where it was freezing, and I had to wear my winter jacket all day and sit on my hand because it was freezing. But I've also worked in offices where it was sweltering, and it's so uncomfortable and all you want to do is fall asleep. I'd rather be a touch on the chilly side and throw on a sweater than be hot.

Overall, I really liked it. But it's a personal decision. If any of the complaints above would bother you, then don't go to Wake. I withdrew from George Mason last year in part because I didn't like the facilities at the law school itself. But someone else might love it there.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:33 am

traehekat wrote:There are some negatives to be considered. For instance, while the school is small in population, students still complain of cramped social spaces. What’s more, students interviewed by the Princeton Review used such words as “awful” and “drab” when asked to describe the school’s facilities. They even complained of cold classrooms and a shortage of bathrooms.

It's an older profile, too. They've either renovated or had a class full of whiny brats.

There are bathrooms everywhere, and nothing is "awful" or "drab". It's very bright and well laid-out. Classrooms are smaller than you might expect, but they are more than comfortable enough for Wake's class sizes.

The only negative I really saw was that the chairs weren't the cushiest-looking chairs.

The library is awesome-looking, too.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
traehekat wrote:There are some negatives to be considered. For instance, while the school is small in population, students still complain of cramped social spaces. What’s more, students interviewed by the Princeton Review used such words as “awful” and “drab” when asked to describe the school’s facilities. They even complained of cold classrooms and a shortage of bathrooms.

It's an older profile, too. They've either renovated or had a class full of whiny brats.

There are bathrooms everywhere, and nothing is "awful" or "drab". It's very bright and well laid-out. Classrooms are smaller than you might expect, but they are more than comfortable enough for Wake's class sizes.

The only negative I really saw was that the chairs weren't the cushiest-looking chairs.

The library is awesome-looking, too.

Either it will help keep us awake in class. Or we all bring in pillows to sit on. :-)

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:55 pm

kp009 wrote:

Just received one today in FL from my 1/29 acceptance so I'd say give it a few more days.

Got mine today, hand signed in purple by Dean Morant, NICE. Mom asked if she could frame it lol

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:56 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:
kp009 wrote:

Got mine today, hand signed in purple by Dean Morant, NICE. Mom asked if she could frame it lol

Mine came today as well. I was half hoping it would also contain scholarship info, but nope. My fiance wants me to keep the letter nice so that if I decide to attend she can frame it. Haha. :lol:

akili

Postby akili » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:56 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:
kp009 wrote:

I just got mine this morning! It's already on my wall :)

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:12 pm

akili wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:
kp009 wrote:

I just got mine this morning! It's already on my wall :)

I take it you guys are committing to Wake then?

akili

Postby akili » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:41 pm

Pretty likely. I'm just still so stoked that I got in!

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:09 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Did everyone who received a scholarship offer get the top 2/3 of the class stipulation? From what I've seen, it seems that everyone did. Anyone happen to know the retention rate for scholarships? It seems pretty obvious that at least a few people would lose their scholarships since practically everyone gets money to attend WF.

FALSE.

50% of people get scholarships, and they all have 2/3rds stipulation. Therefore, there is plenty of room for every one to keep their schollies.

That being said, I'm sure some people still lose them, but they don't set you up to fail- if you study reasonably and take it serious, I don't see losing a scholarship happening.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:55 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Did everyone who received a scholarship offer get the top 2/3 of the class stipulation? From what I've seen, it seems that everyone did. Anyone happen to know the retention rate for scholarships? It seems pretty obvious that at least a few people would lose their scholarships since practically everyone gets money to attend WF.

FALSE.

50% of people get scholarships, and they all have 2/3rds stipulation. Therefore, there is plenty of room for every one to keep their schollies.

That being said, I'm sure some people still lose them, but they don't set you up to fail- if you study reasonably and take it serious, I don't see losing a scholarship happening.

I wasn't being literal when I said "practically everyone" gets money, so no need for the "FALSE" claim. However, WF does hand it out like candy at a Christmas parade. Based on LSN, about 58% of people get money. (I went through quickly and did the calculations, so plus or minus 1.5-2% points). I realize it isn't the most reliable indicator, but it does give some idea. With that said, you're probably correct that about 50% get money, which should make it relatively easy to keep the money. Do you happen to have a link to where you're getting that number? Here's the LSN page for anybody who wants to check behind me: http://wake.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910/?&p=2

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:54 am

LSATfromNC wrote:
I take it you guys are committing to Wake then?

Not until I hear about money! That should hopefully be next week!

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:07 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

FALSE.

I wasn't being literal when I said "practically everyone" gets money, so no need for the "FALSE" claim. However, WF does hand it out like candy at a Christmas parade. Based on LSN, about 58% of people get money. (I went through quickly and did the calculations, so plus or minus 1.5-2% points). I realize it isn't the most reliable indicator, but it does give some idea. With that said, you're probably correct that about 50% get money, which should make it relatively easy to keep the money. Do you happen to have a link to where you're getting that number? Here's the LSN page for anybody who wants to check behind me: http://wake.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910/?&p=2

According to Wake's website (--LinkRemoved--), 47% of students in the class starting Fall 2009 received scholarship aid.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”