Wake Forest 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MDPSteve

New

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Post by MDPSteve » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:35 pm

motedust wrote:Called this morning and a very nice woman said that she could not say the "a" word (acceptance I'm assuming) but that good decisions would be sent out by the end of next week and I would be hearing from them by then. Hopefully that's good news for a few people!
Is your status "Decision Letter Pending?" I've been DLP since 3/10/2010... I have low numbers but am praying for an acceptance!

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 pm

madforsadness wrote:Has anyone heard anything about scholarship awards since the email error debacle?

I know the apology email said there would be further awards made during the first week in April, but I sent a reply asking if that meant no awards would be made until then and didn't get a reply. Clearly people are withdrawing as we speak and money is being put back into the pot, but are they going to wait until after the April 1st commitment date before they award more money?

Just wondering if anyone had heard anything.
I know schools factor in a certain amount of scholarship recipients withdrawaing before or at the deadline. Now, because applications are up at law schools across the board at a ratio above the increase in actual applicants, it might be that more have withdrawn than they normally project. I'd guess that, if that occurred at a high enough rate, that they might start awarding a few scholarships shortly before April 1. However, I'd guess there will not be that many new scholarships.

This is a completely uninformed opinion utilizing conjecture, so remember that :).

madforsadness

New

Post by madforsadness » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:23 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
madforsadness wrote:Has anyone heard anything about scholarship awards since the email error debacle?

I know the apology email said there would be further awards made during the first week in April, but I sent a reply asking if that meant no awards would be made until then and didn't get a reply. Clearly people are withdrawing as we speak and money is being put back into the pot, but are they going to wait until after the April 1st commitment date before they award more money?

Just wondering if anyone had heard anything.
I know schools factor in a certain amount of scholarship recipients withdrawaing before or at the deadline. Now, because applications are up at law schools across the board at a ratio above the increase in actual applicants, it might be that more have withdrawn than they normally project. I'd guess that, if that occurred at a high enough rate, that they might start awarding a few scholarships shortly before April 1. However, I'd guess there will not be that many new scholarships.

This is a completely uninformed opinion utilizing conjecture, so remember that :).

I love conjecture and random speculation - it's what keeps the law school applicant going!

Thanks for the response. Here's hoping everyone who's money-less so far hears good news soon, and that everyone who's got money so far gets better offers elsewhere!

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Anyone know if depositing at a school will help increase your chance at getting a scholarship?

Also, got an email from Wake today apologizing for the late response to an email I sent earlier this week. They are on spring break and are short staffed. I'm also visiting tomorrow and they told me to park anywhere on campus and if i got a parking ticket to let them know and they will take care of it.

I love Wake. Easily the most helpful and kind staff I have interacted with this cycle.

sufjan

Bronze

Post by sufjan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:57 pm

somehow i was de-subscribed from this forum..re-subscribe!

golfing tomorrow for the first time this season .. whooo!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gunners87

New

Post by Gunners87 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:28 pm

The deposit deadline is April 15th correct? I'm looking back over some previous e-mails from Wake and my acceptance email says a deposit is due April 15th, yet when I reviewed a recent Fletcher e-mail (the one which says I did not get it), it says we request your decision by April 1st?

What's the deal with this? A little confused here...

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Gunners87 wrote:The deposit deadline is April 15th correct? I'm looking back over some previous e-mails from Wake and my acceptance email says a deposit is due April 15th, yet when I reviewed a recent Fletcher e-mail (the one which says I did not get it), it says we request your decision by April 1st?

If you received a scholarship of any kind, they want you to decide by April 1st. If not, you have until April 15th. I guess that is so they have time to redistribute scholarship funds for those who decide not to attend.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:15 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
Gunners87 wrote:The deposit deadline is April 15th correct? I'm looking back over some previous e-mails from Wake and my acceptance email says a deposit is due April 15th, yet when I reviewed a recent Fletcher e-mail (the one which says I did not get it), it says we request your decision by April 1st?

If you received a scholarship of any kind, they want you to decide by April 1st. If not, you have until April 15th. I guess that is so they have time to redistribute scholarship funds for those who decide not to attend.
correct.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Just spent the weekend in WS looking at apartments and signed a lease at the pines at bethabara.

Super excited and a little scared. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:59 pm

lml09 wrote:Just spent the weekend in WS looking at apartments and signed a lease at the pines at bethabara.

You might be the first one on this thread to publicly commit to WF. congrats!

what made you chose that apt complex?

eye

Bronze

Post by eye » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:03 pm

When is the deadline to commit to a scholarship?

April 1st?

EDIT: Never mind, just read a the answer a few posts above..

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:31 pm

lml09 wrote:Just spent the weekend in WS looking at apartments and signed a lease at the pines at bethabara.

Congrats lml! Has to feel pretty good knowing where you will be heading.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:29 pm

moandersen wrote:

woohoo! Assuming no last minute full rides anywhere else, I'm going to Wake!

I looked at 4 places this weekend. One was some townhomes (can't remember the name but started with an s) that was cheap, dumpy and not in the best part of town.

Then I looked at the two crowne complexes which seemed a bit pricey. I was told both places could get pretty loud on weekends (lots of undergrads) and that the walls were pretty thin. They are close to campus, about 5 minutes, but I wanted somewhere quiet.

The pines at betharbara are condos (meaning their walls have to be a lot thicker than apt walls) and got a one bedroom on special for $599 a month with free cable and first months rent free. It's about 5 minutes from campus but they are a lot nicer, have 1 and 2 bedroom floorplans, huge porches and cater to the law/med school crowd. No loud partying or annoying undergrads. Plus it's a gated community and you can get a personal alarm system in your apt.

I loved it. Perfect size, safe and quiet. All of you should move in too so we can carpool!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:30 pm

traehekat wrote:

Congrats lml! Has to feel pretty good knowing where you will be heading.
thanks! It feels good/scary. Now I'm in the "I don't know if I can do this..." mode.

gogo

New

Post by gogo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:46 pm

lml09 wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I looked at 4 places this weekend. One was some townhomes (can't remember the name but started with an s) that was cheap, dumpy and not in the best part of town.

Then I looked at the two crowne complexes which seemed a bit pricey. I was told both places could get pretty loud on weekends (lots of undergrads) and that the walls were pretty thin. They are close to campus, about 5 minutes, but I wanted somewhere quiet.

The pines at betharbara are condos (meaning their walls have to be a lot thicker than apt walls) and got a one bedroom on special for $599 a month with free cable and first months rent free. It's about 5 minutes from campus but they are a lot nicer, have 1 and 2 bedroom floorplans, huge porches and cater to the law/med school crowd. No loud partying or annoying undergrads. Plus it's a gated community and you can get a personal alarm system in your apt.

I loved it. Perfect size, safe and quiet. All of you should move in too so we can carpool!!!
sounds like a pretty great deal. i think im going to check it out then when i visit next week. i haven't made a final decision on where to attend yet, but i'm thinking that wherever i go i'd like a roommate. do any of ya'll know if the law school helps students locate other law students who might want a roommate?

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Wake does. They also have something called a house hunt where law students come down for a weekend in the summer and we all meet and go around to apts in buses. Great time to meet potential roommates as everyone there is looking for places to live.

They also have a website I think.

gogo

New

Post by gogo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:57 pm

lml09 wrote:Wake does. They also have something called a house hunt where law students come down for a weekend in the summer and we all meet and go around to apts in buses. Great time to meet potential roommates as everyone there is looking for places to live.

They also have a website I think.
Thanks!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:28 pm

And for all of you who are not glued to your TVs watching selection Sunday, wake is in the big dance playing Texas first!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:27 pm

lml09 wrote:And for all of you who are not glued to your TVs watching selection Sunday, wake is in the big dance playing Texas first!
Yup, and even though they limped (fell?) into the tournament with a totally embarrassing loss to miami in the acc tournament, im still going to pick them over texas.

oh, and i actually took a quick look at some complexes during my visit to wake a couple weeks ago - one of which was the pines. that deal you got is spectacular. im going to need a 2bedroom though and im not sure if i want to spend 800/month for one. but i like the idea that its quieter and has thicker walls. a lot of these newer (90s - now) builds have such thin walls. horrible.

GordonGekko

New

Post by GordonGekko » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:00 am

Mailed in my seat deposit Saturday. Can't wait to move to W-S this summer!!! Also can't wait to watch Aminu dominate Pittman in round one :D

I also toured the Crownes complexes when I was in town several weeks ago. Not bad, but quite pricey for a town like Winston-Salem. I will probably see what the school has to offer in terms of roommate referral services (I doubt I will have a chance to make it out for the house hunt, although it sounds like a great time).

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:07 am

lml09 wrote:Anyone know if depositing at a school will help increase your chance at getting a scholarship?

Also, got an email from Wake today apologizing for the late response to an email I sent earlier this week. They are on spring break and are short staffed. I'm also visiting tomorrow and they told me to park anywhere on campus and if i got a parking ticket to let them know and they will take care of it.

I love Wake. Easily the most helpful and kind staff I have interacted with this cycle.
Lol. Go handicap zone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:25 pm

lml09 wrote:
moandersen wrote:

Sounds cool. If wake can offer me better than UGA, that sounds like a good place to live. Thanks for the info O.o

gogo

New

Post by gogo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:28 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
lml09 wrote:
moandersen wrote:

Sounds cool. If wake can offer me better than UGA, that sounds like a good place to live. Thanks for the info O.o
I'm deciding between wake and uga too. making visits next week to both!

sotomayor

New

Post by sotomayor » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:29 pm

what's the longest anyone has been under "committee review"? i've been under that status for about a month and a half.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:32 pm

sotomayor wrote:what's the longest anyone has been under "committee review"? i've been under that status for about a month and a half.
I've been CR for about a month now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”