Wake Forest 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Integrity

Bronze

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Post by Integrity » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:13 pm

After careful consideration, I decided not to attend Wake Forest. Here's to hoping one of my other wait list options (primarily Vandy) materializes.

traceface

New

Post by traceface » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Same here! I hope one of yall on the waitlist gets my spot. =)

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:04 pm

traceface wrote:Same here! I hope one of yall on the waitlist gets my spot. =)
Okay good luck.

And just so you know, most wake students dont end up in Winston. Charlotte seems the locale of choice. Good luck, have fun in Richmond =)

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Is anyone reading any of the books on the summer reading list? I think I'll probably read Law 101, 1L of a Ride, and re-read the fun ones like Merchant of Venice and To Kill A Mockingbird. Damages and Becoming Gentleman look good too. :)

Here's a list for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

"Because many of you asked for specific titles, however, below is a list that provides you with varied options for summer reading. It is by no means exhaustive but simply serves to provide you with ideas. We recommend you pick at least one from each list to get a good sampling."

Fiction

Billy Budd, by Herman Melville
Bleak House, by Charles Dickens
Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Measure for Measure, by William Shakespeare
Presumed Innocent, by Scott Turow
The Book of Daniel, by E.L. Doctorow
The Merchant of Venice, by William Shakespeare
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

Non-Fiction

A Civil Action, by Jonathan Harr
A Question of Intent: A Great American Battle with A Deadly Industry, by David Kessler
Becoming Gentlemen: Women, Law School and Institutional Change, by Lani Guinier
Bramble Bush, by Karl Llewellyn
Damages: One Family’s Legal Struggles in the World of Medicine, by Barry Werth
Gideon’s Trumpet, by Anthony Lewis
No Equal Justice: Race and Class in the American Criminal Justice System, by David Cole
Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America’s Struggle for Equality, by Richard Kluger
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctor, and the Collision of Two Cultures, by Anne Fademan
The Nine: The Secret World of the Supreme Court, by Jeffry Toobin
The Making of Environmental Law, by Richard J. Lazurus

Law School and Career Services guides

Bridging the Gap Between College and Law School: Strategies for Success, by Ruta K. Stropus and Charlotte D. Taylor
Elements of Style, by R. and E.B. White
Expert Learning for Lawyers, by Michael Hunter Schwartz
Getting to Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams, by Michael Fishcel & Jeremy Paul
Guerilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams, by Kimm Alayne Walton
Law 101: Everything You Need to Know About the American Legal System, by Jay Feinman
Law School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Law School Experience, by Robert Miller
One L of a Ride: A Well-Traveled Professor’s Roadmap to Success in the First Year of Law School, by Andrew J. McClurg
Reading Like a Lawyer, by Ruth Ann McKinney

sufjan

Bronze

Post by sufjan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:19 pm

i think i only have shots and insurance left to figure out..

did someone say something about needing a physical?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:37 pm

sufjan wrote:i think i only have shots and insurance left to figure out..

yup, there are like six pages that need to be printed out and given to your doctor during the physical.

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:55 pm

moandersen wrote:

yup, there are like six pages that need to be printed out and given to your doctor during the physical.
I see nothing about a physical on any of the sites (although I haven't looked at the health insurance stuff yet), could someone point this out to me?

Also, is anyone actually reading all/any of those books? I was thinking about looking through Getting To Maybe and leave it at that. I mean TLS generally suggests no prep stuff.

gogo

New

Post by gogo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:28 pm

tarheel87 wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I see nothing about a physical on any of the sites (although I haven't looked at the health insurance stuff yet), could someone point this out to me?

Also, is anyone actually reading all/any of those books? I was thinking about looking through Getting To Maybe and leave it at that. I mean TLS generally suggests no prep stuff.
The physical form is part of the health information sheet which you are required to fill out because of the immunization documentation requirement. when you go on the new student website under the to-do list you should see something about immunizations and when you click on that there is a link to the health form. the health form includes your medical history, the physical form and the immunizations.

also, when i was at the house hunt the two organizers (a kid who just graduated and a rising 3L) said not to read any of the books (unless you really want to out of your own desire).

minkins

New

Post by minkins » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:02 am

The few young lawyers I talked to just said to read something as much as you can, just to get used to reading all the time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mich_Guy

New

Post by Mich_Guy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 am

Hey out of curiouity...if we are still on the reserve list (not the waitlist), should we be holding out any hope that we'll get the big phone call/email sometime this week or next?? I was just curious since I've noticed over the last few days or so that a few WF admits on TLS have either dropped out or turned down their respective offers.

LadyTarHeelian

New

Post by LadyTarHeelian » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:22 pm

I got the call from Melanie Nutt a couple of hours ago. Wake Forest, here I come!!!!

gogo

New

Post by gogo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:31 pm

Mich_Guy wrote:Hey out of curiouity...if we are still on the reserve list (not the waitlist), should we be holding out any hope that we'll get the big phone call/email sometime this week or next?? I was just curious since I've noticed over the last few days or so that a few WF admits on TLS have either dropped out or turned down their respective offers.
see the post below (edit - below your post, above mine)...looks like there is some promise for you, especially if you are on some sort of reserve/priority list!

LadyTarHeelian

New

Post by LadyTarHeelian » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:33 pm

gogo wrote:
Mich_Guy wrote:Hey out of curiouity...if we are still on the reserve list (not the waitlist), should we be holding out any hope that we'll get the big phone call/email sometime this week or next?? I was just curious since I've noticed over the last few days or so that a few WF admits on TLS have either dropped out or turned down their respective offers.
see the post below (edit - below your post, above mine)...looks like there is some promise for you, especially if you are on some sort of reserve/priority list!
I wasn't on any sort of reserve or priority list. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I did send a LOCI though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

drewtrav

New

Post by drewtrav » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:39 pm

I just visited campus, and talked to Melanie Nutt. It looks like I will be attending WF over GMU.

What are some good places to find housing this late in the game?

gogo

New

Post by gogo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:49 pm

drewtrav wrote:I just visited campus, and talked to Melanie Nutt. It looks like I will be attending WF over GMU.

congrats! i think you've made a great choice (though clearly i am biased) and based on a lot of the people i've met so far we'll have a great class! you should try crowne polo. there are a bunch of us living there and it's mostly law/grad students. plus they are the newest of the apartments and the rent is pretty cheap compared to what i'm used to. not sure if they have any 1 br left but it's worth a shot, esp because it's still june. if not there were a few people that signed 2br leases at the house hunt that might still be looking for roommates. if they are full, crowne owns two other complexes and i think a few are at one of those, can't remember if it is the park or oaks. also, from what i read on here, some people signed at the pines, but seems overall from the house hunt that that complex seems to be more couples or slightly older (late 20s, early 30s) single people.

also, there is a facebook group for the c/o 2013. you may be able to find a roommate there if that's something you are looking for.

Mich_Guy

New

Post by Mich_Guy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:09 pm

gogo wrote:
Uh-Oh! I guess I should be worried...I was told by admissions not too long ago that I was in line to be re-evaluated as a reserve-listed candidate as soon as the next batch of seats became available...according to LadyTarheelian, she was neither a reserve-listed candidate nor was she waitlisted (i assume this is true based on her comment) ....so I guess I should put two and two together & assume that either (a) There are no more seats left or (b) I was dinged.

Either way, I'm think screwed :-(

LadyTarHeelian

New

Post by LadyTarHeelian » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Mich_Guy wrote:
gogo wrote:
Uh-Oh! I guess I should be worried...I was told by admissions not too long ago that I was in line to be re-evaluated as a reserve-listed candidate as soon as the next batch of seats became available...according to LadyTarheelian, she was neither a reserve-listed candidate nor was she waitlisted (i assume this is true based on her comment) ....so I guess I should put two and two together & assume that either (a) There are no more seats left or (b) I was dinged.

Either way, I'm think screwed :-(
I was waitlisted but I was not on any sort of special waitlist. Just wanted to clarify.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:39 pm

LadyTarHeelian wrote:I got the call from Melanie Nutt a couple of hours ago. Wake Forest, here I come!!!!

So excited for you!!!!

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:23 am

LadyTarHeelian wrote:I got the call from Melanie Nutt a couple of hours ago. Wake Forest, here I come!!!!
Congratulations!!!!

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:27 am

drewtrav wrote:I just visited campus, and talked to Melanie Nutt. It looks like I will be attending WF over GMU.

I just talked to the director at the Crowne Park yesterday regarding my lease. She said they still have units left, so if you're interested, call (336) 761-1666. I think more people are staying at Polo, but I know there are a few of us at the Park.

placencia

New

Post by placencia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:13 am

Just in case anyone is interested in places not mentioned yet, I have several places that I looked at. The Crowne apartments were out of my price league, and may be for others as well. Since I'm taking out loans, I am trying to minimize my spending as much as possible. Ashton Oaks has one bedrooms for about $450 and a two bedroom for $575, but I am going with Ambercrest. I got a 2 BR there for $499, with the application fee and security deposit waived, and first months rent of only $199.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Well, barring an offer to buy my house in the next 5 hours, I'm going to withdraw from Wake Forest.

I do hope that one of you gets my spot and my money.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:55 pm

kalvano wrote:Well, barring an offer to buy my house in the next 5 hours, I'm going to withdraw from Wake Forest.

I do hope that one of you gets my spot and my money.
Boo! :cry: I really enjoyed meeting you and your wife, and I was hoping you guys were going to be coming. Good luck with wherever you end up.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:34 pm

The orientation schedule is up for those who have been keeping tabs on the new student site. Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:41 pm

ty

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”