Wake Forest 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATfromNC

Silver

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Post by LSATfromNC » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:49 am

The beauty of it is you don't lose your whole scholarship at Wake like you would at many schools. You only lose half if you fall below the 2/3 requirement. And you want to take a look at someone throwing cash at students this cycle, take a look at W&L, they appear to be the Emory of last cycle.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:27 am

tstyler98 wrote: According to Wake's website (--LinkRemoved--), 47% of students in the class starting Fall 2009 received scholarship aid.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:38 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
tstyler98 wrote: According to Wake's website (--LinkRemoved--), 47% of students in the class starting Fall 2009 received scholarship aid.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.
Not a problem!!! :D

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Hello all and greetings from Winston-Salem! I arrived this afternoon in preparation for the admitted students day tomorrow and went and wandered around campus for a while. The campus is beautiful and I stood outside the law school but it was locked so I didn't go in. I did however stop by the student store and pick up a nifty wf law car decal.

So far so good.

let0927

New

Post by let0927 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Wonder when the batch will go out from those of us who received decision letter pending last week?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jayce504

New

Post by jayce504 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:54 pm

let0927 wrote:Wonder when the batch will go out from those of us who received decision letter pending last week?
I've heard the admissions office sends batches every other Friday. I'm not sure though.

DeCivitate

New

Post by DeCivitate » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Anyone visit at Wake today?

d-cannon

New

Post by d-cannon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:05 pm

DeCivitate wrote:Anyone visit at Wake today?
I did. My wife and I also met DNAgent and spouse. This was my second visit and I am more and more impressed.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm getting so excited to visit!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DNAgent

New

Post by DNAgent » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:31 pm

d-cannon wrote:
I did. My wife and I also met DNAgent and spouse. This was my second visit and I am more and more impressed.
+1 :-) Second visit for us as well, and I can't agree with d-cannon enough. The general quality of experience at Wake is much higher than the other schools we have visited. The tour was very well done and was capped off with a student panel/lunch where we sat with various faculty members and deans.

Not sure what people were smoking when they dissed the law building itself--while not a brand new structure, it is still quite warm and welcoming (even on a drab and rainy day like today).

At this point, if I can get some $$ I'm ready to commit. Anyone out there wanna withdraw and help me out? :mrgreen:

d-cannon

New

Post by d-cannon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:19 pm

DNAgent wrote:
At this point, if I can get some $$ I'm ready to commit. Anyone out there wanna withdraw and help me out? :mrgreen:
This

JayCole

New

Post by JayCole » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Don cannon -- is that you?

I would love to hear back from Wake but I am glad that Fordham didn't leave me hanging.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:29 am

lml09 wrote:Hello all and greetings from Winston-Salem! I arrived this afternoon in preparation for the admitted students day tomorrow and went and wandered around campus for a while. The campus is beautiful and I stood outside the law school but it was locked so I didn't go in. I did however stop by the student store and pick up a nifty wf law car decal.

So far so good.
My fiance and I did the same thing...
I thought we were crazy, walking around a locked building and peering in. She said, "I bet other ASDers are doing the same thing." lol =).

I agree with everyone that Wake Forest itself was awesome, but how did every one feel about Winston Salem. The fiancee and I drove around and we were, to put it nicely, less than impressed. This was a major turn off, as we really like everything else about wake ($$, location, job placement, professors, campus). We didn't do a guided tour, so its possible we just missed the good spots. ANyone want to convince me in favor of winston-salem being a cool place? :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mudbug25

New

Post by mudbug25 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
lml09 wrote:ANyone want to convince me in favor of winston-salem being a cool place? :D
I'm familiar with the area, so I'm happy to answer any specific questions y'all might have about it. I went to Wake for undergrad a few years ago.

Winston-Salem is actually a lot larger than it appears. It is part of a metropolitan area consisting of 3 cities that are situated right next to each other (Winston, Greensboro, High Point). This means that there is actually a fairly large population in the area, and as a result living here means you get to enjoy the basic benefits of a good sized city (all the normal stores, good number of restaurants to choose from, etc). The one stipulation is it is fairly spread out, so it may take you a while to learn the town.

In my opinion, the degree to which you will enjoy this area is highly dependent on what you expect of it. If you are looking for a "big city" feel, or for a "college town" feel (i.e UNC or UGA), then you will be dissappointed. However if you are looking for a city that can support 3 years of intensive study, this might be the perfect place.

There are places to go out downtown, but you are not going to be tempted by them on a daily basis. Since it is so spread out, it can have a small town feel. But when you need to go to Best Buy you don't have to drive 2 hours to find one.

My final critical note is this: The area immediately surrounding Wake Forest could be a lot better. It seems like zoning laws have created a buffer zone of residential areas between the campus itself and other businesses. Walking is rarely a viable option.

Anyway I have to go to work, but I'm happy to answer any more questions about the area.

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:48 am

LOVED it! Great atmosphere, the class I sat in on was awesome, the faculty-student relationship seems very relaxed and warm. No one looked bored or upset that they were there and the class flowed like a natural conversation rather than a lecture.

I also liked how each student gets assigned their own personal desk in the library so they don't have to hunt for one (especially during exams).

Wake treats their students well. Now all I need is some $ to make it cheaper than UNC.

spintk

New

Post by spintk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:10 am

So, what does "decision letter pending" mean? Have they made a decision or not? My stats aren't all that great and I went complete January 10th or so. I don't think this looks good at all. Thoughts? :?

BlueHeel

New

Post by BlueHeel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 pm

spintk wrote:So, what does "decision letter pending" mean? Have they made a decision or not? My stats aren't all that great and I went complete January 10th or so. I don't think this looks good at all. Thoughts? :?
According to last years thread, "Decision Letter Pending" means you're either in or out. Either your status checker will eventually change to "Congratulations", or you will get your ding via snail mail within two weeks or so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spintk

New

Post by spintk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:27 pm

BlueHeel wrote:
spintk wrote:So, what does "decision letter pending" mean? Have they made a decision or not? My stats aren't all that great and I went complete January 10th or so. I don't think this looks good at all. Thoughts? :?
According to last years thread, "Decision Letter Pending" means you're either in or out. Either your status checker will eventually change to "Congratulations", or you will get your ding via snail mail within two weeks or so.
Ok, thanks. Well, considering it was posted on Feb. 11th and it hasn't change dot "Congrats," I'm going to say it's a big fat rejection. Oh well, thanks for the info though.

BlueHeel

New

Post by BlueHeel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:45 pm

spintk wrote:
BlueHeel wrote:
Ok, thanks. Well, considering it was posted on Feb. 11th and it hasn't change dot "Congrats," I'm going to say it's a big fat rejection. Oh well, thanks for the info though.
Well, if the precedent from last year is any indication, it took about a week for peoples status checker to update to "congratulations", so don't count it out yet!

My feeling is that according to their own email, most decisions are actually mailed, with only some emailed.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:00 pm

mudbug25 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
lml09 wrote:ANyone want to convince me in favor of winston-salem being a cool place? :D
I'm familiar with the area, so I'm happy to answer any specific questions y'all might have about it. I went to Wake for undergrad a few years ago.

Winston-Salem is actually a lot larger than it appears. It is part of a metropolitan area consisting of 3 cities that are situated right next to each other (Winston, Greensboro, High Point). This means that there is actually a fairly large population in the area, and as a result living here means you get to enjoy the basic benefits of a good sized city (all the normal stores, good number of restaurants to choose from, etc). The one stipulation is it is fairly spread out, so it may take you a while to learn the town.

In my opinion, the degree to which you will enjoy this area is highly dependent on what you expect of it. If you are looking for a "big city" feel, or for a "college town" feel (i.e UNC or UGA), then you will be dissappointed. However if you are looking for a city that can support 3 years of intensive study, this might be the perfect place.

There are places to go out downtown, but you are not going to be tempted by them on a daily basis. Since it is so spread out, it can have a small town feel. But when you need to go to Best Buy you don't have to drive 2 hours to find one.

My final critical note is this: The area immediately surrounding Wake Forest could be a lot better. It seems like zoning laws have created a buffer zone of residential areas between the campus itself and other businesses. Walking is rarely a viable option.

Anyway I have to go to work, but I'm happy to answer any more questions about the area.
Interesting. When my Fiancee and I visited we looked at Wake (nice) the area immediately above it (nice residential) and the dowtown area-around 1st-5th street, the skyscraper area (which we found to be crappy). Oh and old winston salem too, which wasn't too exciting.

My question is where are all the stores? Like grocery stores and best buys and what not? Like a commericial area. All we really saw was a quiet residential area and a crappy business area. Is there a lot more commericial stuff near Hanes Mall?

flowerpot

New

Post by flowerpot » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:04 pm

For those of you accepted on January 29th, have any of you heard anything about scholarships yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dhatfie1

Bronze

Post by dhatfie1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:11 pm

flowerpot wrote:For those of you accepted on January 29th, have any of you heard anything about scholarships yet?
Nope! :((((

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:32 pm

flowerpot wrote:For those of you accepted on January 29th, have any of you heard anything about scholarships yet?
Nope! Not that likely to get one though...

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Interesting. When my Fiancee and I visited we looked at Wake (nice) the area immediately above it (nice residential) and the dowtown area-around 1st-5th street, the skyscraper area (which we found to be crappy). Oh and old winston salem too, which wasn't too exciting.

My question is where are all the stores? Like grocery stores and best buys and what not? Like a commericial area. All we really saw was a quiet residential area and a crappy business area. Is there a lot more commericial stuff near Hanes Mall?
Shoot. Im visiting Feb 27 - March 1 with my fiance, and we were hoping to spend a day in the city to see what its all about (we were especially curious about old winston-salem). I guess not much? Crap. Any other ideas as to how to spend a Sunday in the city?? I dont expect much since WS is a small town (we currently live in chicago), but they got to have something touristy for 20-somethings, right?

sufjan

Bronze

Post by sufjan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:45 pm

it's a few short hours from charlotte .. ?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”