Wake Forest 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dhatfie1

Bronze

Re: Wake Forest 2010

Post by dhatfie1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:47 pm

let0927 wrote:
let0927 wrote:
moandersen wrote:
DNAgent wrote:Winston-Salem may not be a bustling metropolis, but it seems to have it where it counts:

Local brewery: http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/index.html
Beer/Wine Merchant: --LinkRemoved--
Joint with lots of brews on tap: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4334
Center for Contemporary Art: http://www.secca.org/
Learn about the Moravians: http://www.oldsalem.org/
Winston-Salem Symphony: http://www.wssymphony.org/
Hanes Mall: --LinkRemoved--

First impressions are that downtown is still in a post-industrial slump but will probably explode as soon as the economy recovers enough to promote some real renovation. Plenty of very cool old factory real estate available with serious character.
W-S has sonic and chick-fil-a?! I almost dont need a scholarship to persuade me to attend anymore. any other solid/local fast food chains? unfortunately my fav (in and out) is on the other coast - is there a southeast equivalent? Haha, oh the factors that play into decisions....
Yes, there is a Greensboro originating chain called Cookout. It's not the same style as In and Out (I've only eaten there once like 10 years ago) but similar. Really cheap and delicious. Everyone loves it. We have Carl Jr except it is called Hardees which is also a NC chain.
Hardees was created in Greenville, NC which is why I say NC chain. I go to ECU and that is one of the trivia questions around here
That said, if you are looking for something W-S probably has it--it just won't necessarily be downtown. Google Maps and a 10-15 minute drive will find you whatever you are looking for.
I see, it originated there..well good job Greenville!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Yall are making me hungry!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:52 pm

missvik218 wrote:JIMMY THE GREEK'S!!! Go for breakfast!
Thanks for the tip. I think Ill hit it up on sunday before walking around the WF campus.

no mention of asian food, which doesnt really surprise me considering the general lack of asians in the south.....

as for hardees, i see them all the time passing through indiana, but they look dingy and old so I never stop. i just wait till i hit michigan and stop at a culvers.

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm

moandersen wrote:
missvik218 wrote:JIMMY THE GREEK'S!!! Go for breakfast!
Thanks for the tip. I think Ill hit it up on sunday before walking around the WF campus.

no mention of asian food, which doesnt really surprise me considering the general lack of asians in the south.....

as for hardees, i see them all the time passing through indiana, but they look dingy and old so I never stop. i just wait till i hit michigan and stop at a culvers.
Culvers=amazing. Are there any good custard joints around Wake?

sufjan

Bronze

Post by sufjan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:13 pm

custard? like flan?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:28 pm

sufjan wrote:custard? like flan?

No. Custard as in the ice cream.

sufjan

Bronze

Post by sufjan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Threepeat wrote:

i kind of feel like custard is more like flan than ice cream what with the temperature, texture, and consistency

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Here is a yellow pages list of restaurants in W-S and the surrounding area. Not sure on how good the food is at any of them, but looks pretty extensive.

http://yp.yahoo.com/ypBrowse.py?ycat=77 ... 43347&cs=4

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:17 pm

sufjan wrote:
Threepeat wrote:

i kind of feel like custard is more like flan than ice cream what with the temperature, texture, and consistency
Yea your definitely right that a traditional custard is more like flan. I should have been more clear by stating frozen custard. Frozen custard is my weakness. It's pretty much like ice cream, just creamier and thicker.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sufjan

Bronze

Post by sufjan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Threepeat wrote:
sufjan wrote:
Threepeat wrote:

Yea your definitely right that a traditional custard is more like flan. I should have been more clear by stating frozen custard. Frozen custard is my weakness. It's pretty much like ice cream, just creamier and thicker.
now creamier, thicker ice cream sounds like something I could get into

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Has anyone decided between Wake and UNC yet? I'm still torn.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:45 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Has anyone decided between Wake and UNC yet? I'm still torn.
They're two of my final few, but I think it'll end up coming down to how much money UNC gives me (if any). I could flip a coin and pick one without much hesitation simply because it seems to me that the schools are more or less equal for my career goals.

DNAgent

New

Post by DNAgent » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 pm

moandersen wrote:I have a feeling that if i move to nc, a lot of this will be lacking because w-s is a small town.
Actually, NC in general is known for being a foodie haven. While this applies much more broadly to the Research Triangle area and the western NC region near Asheville, Winston is likely not an exception. Most people who move to NC from urban centers like NYC/SF/Chicago are blown away by both the variety and quality of what is available.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:41 pm

DNAgent wrote:
moandersen wrote:I have a feeling that if i move to nc, a lot of this will be lacking because w-s is a small town.
Actually, NC in general is known for being a foodie haven. While this applies much more broadly to the Research Triangle area and the western NC region near Asheville, Winston is likely not an exception. Most people who move to NC from urban centers like NYC/SF/Chicago are blown away by both the variety and quality of what is available.
I hope so.

is there a trader joes in w-s? the wife-to-be loves that store and wouldnt know what to do without one.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:19 pm

moandersen wrote:
DNAgent wrote:
I hope so.

is there a trader joes in w-s? the wife-to-be loves that store and wouldnt know what to do without one.
Winston really does have a lot of variety in terms of food. However, if you for some reason can not find what you are looking for, there is always Greensboro only 30 minutes away, which is sure to have anything you can imagine.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:55 pm

moandersen wrote:
DNAgent wrote:
I hope so.

Looks like the closest one is in Charlotte, and then Chapel Hill.

Tave

New

Post by Tave » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 am

Jimmy the Greek's is awful. If you're looking for breakfast around campus, try Zoe's Kitchen. It's just down Reynolda near the Lowe's grocery.

The only redeeming quality of Jimmy the Greek's is it's one of the few 24-hour restaurants in town. I can't think of any reason to go there during normal business hours.

Oh, and if you want a good gyro, try The Grecian Corner down by the med school. It looks a little dingy, but it's well worth it.
Last edited by Tave on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tave

New

Post by Tave » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:30 am

I don't think Jimmy the Greek's even serves Greek food. I could be wrong, but I didn't notice any on the menu.

dhatfie1

Bronze

Post by dhatfie1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:34 am

So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like those of us waiting for that second "batch" of scholarships will be waiting until after April 1st to hear if we are offered anything. I called today and they said they had already given out all of their scholarships and any others would be given after April 1st when some of the 1st batch people turn theirs down. Now all I can think is nobody is going to turn their scholly down because it's so tempting and I, along with so many others, will be left schollyless (which for me means no Wake Forest). :(

jss1100

Bronze

Post by jss1100 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 am

I will probably be turning down my 25k/yr scholly for unc so there is hope for you.

jbrowning82

Bronze

Post by jbrowning82 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:53 am

I'm also going to be turning down a $20k/yr scholarship. Good luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:21 am

LSATfromNC wrote:Has anyone decided between Wake and UNC yet? I'm still torn.
You're IS right?! I'd take UNC easily at IS price.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:24 am

Tave wrote:I don't think Jimmy the Greek's even serves Greek food. I could be wrong, but I didn't notice any on the menu.
And haha, no it doesn't you're right it's more like a diner than a Greek restaurant. I like it, we used to go for breakfast all the time. It's nothing special but it's decent, it just popped into my head because they asked about Greek food.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 am

jbrowning82 wrote:I'm also going to be turning down a $20k/yr scholarship. Good luck.
Looking like me too. There will be $$ available from Wake for the second round, don't worry they're too close to a bunch of peer schools for there not to be a good number of people who decide to go different ways come decision time.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 am

dhatfie1 wrote:So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like those of us waiting for that second "batch" of scholarships will be waiting until after April 1st to hear if we are offered anything. I called today and they said they had already given out all of their scholarships and any others would be given after April 1st when some of the 1st batch people turn theirs down. Now all I can think is nobody is going to turn their scholly down because it's so tempting and I, along with so many others, will be left schollyless (which for me means no Wake Forest). :(
Wow that sucks. It will hard to put down a seat deposit on april 15th not knowing if I will receive any $ - because if I dont get any, WF will more than likely fall off my map and Ill go somewhere else. Not the news I was hoping for..... :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”