DePaul Law School 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby moandersen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:59 am

rockababy123 wrote:I checked my application status and it says that a decision will be rendered in 2-3 weeks. Do decisions typically take the the full 3 weeks?


Usually not, but it may take three weeks to actually receive your decision. My decision was sent out 1/29 and Im still waiting for it to arrive and I live in Chicago......

User avatar
tdubsWI
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby tdubsWI » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:09 am

rockababy123 wrote:I checked my application status and it says that a decision will be rendered in 2-3 weeks. Do decisions typically take the the full 3 weeks?


Mine was in my mailbox 20 days after that email...so no, I guess that it technically did not take the full 3 weeks :roll:

chemlawgirl
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby chemlawgirl » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:02 pm

In at DePaul via phone call from head of IP department this afternoon.

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby keemos » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Just got an email from the Director of IP saying I was in so I guess I will just be waiting for my letter to see if I got some $$$

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:30 pm

They mailed my letter last week, it's not there yet. But I got the IP email congratulating me on my acceptance today. Not sure where DePaul fits on my list but still sorta excited. $$$ will be more exciting.

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby keemos » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:They mailed my letter last week, it's not there yet. But I got the IP email congratulating me on my acceptance today. Not sure where DePaul fits on my list but still sorta excited. $$$ will be more exciting.


If they hit me with a $60K I will have to think about going there!

msbeautifulbasham
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:44 pm

So I guess they stopped giving out t-shirts :(

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby moandersen » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:So I guess they stopped giving out t-shirts :(


Are you serious? Please be just speculating. Thats the only reason why I applied.... :(

User avatar
nit00
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby nit00 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:48 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:So I guess they stopped giving out t-shirts :(


I got my T-shirt a little over a week after getting my acceptance letter. Give it a little while longer :D

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:49 pm

nit00 wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:So I guess they stopped giving out t-shirts :(


I got my T-shirt a little over a week after getting my acceptance letter. Give it a little while longer :D


Just out of curiosity, what size is the shirt? lol

User avatar
nit00
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby nit00 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 pm

traehekat wrote:
nit00 wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:So I guess they stopped giving out t-shirts :(


I got my T-shirt a little over a week after getting my acceptance letter. Give it a little while longer :D


Just out of curiosity, what size is the shirt? lol


Mine was a L...it was huge on me, but a nice touch.

cogito2010
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby cogito2010 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Application complete 1/27 -- decision letter sent 2/03. Good sign? How long did it take to receive the letter?

User avatar
tdubsWI
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby tdubsWI » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 am

nitr0x99 wrote:
eaters333 wrote:im with an achievement scholarship no stipulations 20k a year



Wow Congrats!


20K with no stipulations would be nice. The number of people who received the 3.2 GPA scholarship is kinda freakin me out. We all might be competing head to head in a few months :twisted:


I asked Dean Burns what percentage of students in past classes were able to maintain their scholarship for all three years. Here is his reply:

"Dear Mr. TDubsWi,

Thank you for your email regarding our scholarship renewal policy at DePaul. As you know, students with Dean’s Merit Scholarships must achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.20 at the end of the academic year to renew their scholarship award. This is a high standards and we expect that students receiving merit scholarships will need to work very hard to renew their awards. While I do not know the percentage of students who do not renew their awards, I can tell you that the number of students who do not meet the requirement varies greatly from year-to-year. Each year, however, a significant number of students do not meet the requirement and fail to renew their award. Just this year, for students entering fall 2010, we lowered the requirement from 3.3 to 3.2 so that more students will renew. We don’t yet have any stats on the new 3.2 requirement.

The first year curve is as follows:

A (4.0) 10%-15%
B+ (3.5) 20%-25%
B (3.0) 25%-30%
C+ (2.5) 20%-25%
C (2.0) or below 15%-20%

You can find additional information about the curve, as well as the upper-level curve in our current student handbook, which you can access online at --LinkRemoved--.

In addition, you can find historical class rank information at

--LinkRemoved--. This will give you a better sense of the performance level required to meet the GPA requirement. For example, in fall 2009, a 3.20 GPA would have placed a student in the top 35% of the class. I hope you find this information helpful. We wish you the best in making your decision."


So I guess we are getting it easy with the 3.2? I'm pretty confident in my ability to get in the top 35% though, especially with the financial incentive on my side.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby fl0w » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:18 am

tdubsWI wrote:
nitr0x99 wrote:
eaters333 wrote:im with an achievement scholarship no stipulations 20k a year



Wow Congrats!


20K with no stipulations would be nice. The number of people who received the 3.2 GPA scholarship is kinda freakin me out. We all might be competing head to head in a few months :twisted:


I asked Dean Burns what percentage of students in past classes were able to maintain their scholarship for all three years. Here is his reply:

"Dear Mr. TDubsWi,

Thank you for your email regarding our scholarship renewal policy at DePaul. As you know, students with Dean’s Merit Scholarships must achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.20 at the end of the academic year to renew their scholarship award. This is a high standards and we expect that students receiving merit scholarships will need to work very hard to renew their awards. While I do not know the percentage of students who do not renew their awards, I can tell you that the number of students who do not meet the requirement varies greatly from year-to-year. Each year, however, a significant number of students do not meet the requirement and fail to renew their award. Just this year, for students entering fall 2010, we lowered the requirement from 3.3 to 3.2 so that more students will renew. We don’t yet have any stats on the new 3.2 requirement.

The first year curve is as follows:

A (4.0) 10%-15%
B+ (3.5) 20%-25%
B (3.0) 25%-30%
C+ (2.5) 20%-25%
C (2.0) or below 15%-20%

You can find additional information about the curve, as well as the upper-level curve in our current student handbook, which you can access online at --LinkRemoved--.

In addition, you can find historical class rank information at

--LinkRemoved--. This will give you a better sense of the performance level required to meet the GPA requirement. For example, in fall 2009, a 3.20 GPA would have placed a student in the top 35% of the class. I hope you find this information helpful. We wish you the best in making your decision."


So I guess we are getting it easy with the 3.2? I'm pretty confident in my ability to get in the top 35% though, especially with the financial incentive on my side.


To me, what this means is that 65% to 70% of students will not qualify for scholarship renewal after first year. I bet a lot of people think they can be in the top 35% of a class, but remember that 65% of them won't be.

nitr0x99
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby nitr0x99 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:33 pm

fl0w wrote:
tdubsWI wrote:
nitr0x99 wrote:
eaters333 wrote:im with an achievement scholarship no stipulations 20k a year



Wow Congrats!


20K with no stipulations would be nice. The number of people who received the 3.2 GPA scholarship is kinda freakin me out. We all might be competing head to head in a few months :twisted:


I asked Dean Burns what percentage of students in past classes were able to maintain their scholarship for all three years. Here is his reply:

"Dear Mr. TDubsWi,

Thank you for your email regarding our scholarship renewal policy at DePaul. As you know, students with Dean’s Merit Scholarships must achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.20 at the end of the academic year to renew their scholarship award. This is a high standards and we expect that students receiving merit scholarships will need to work very hard to renew their awards. While I do not know the percentage of students who do not renew their awards, I can tell you that the number of students who do not meet the requirement varies greatly from year-to-year. Each year, however, a significant number of students do not meet the requirement and fail to renew their award. Just this year, for students entering fall 2010, we lowered the requirement from 3.3 to 3.2 so that more students will renew. We don’t yet have any stats on the new 3.2 requirement.

The first year curve is as follows:

A (4.0) 10%-15%
B+ (3.5) 20%-25%
B (3.0) 25%-30%
C+ (2.5) 20%-25%
C (2.0) or below 15%-20%

You can find additional information about the curve, as well as the upper-level curve in our current student handbook, which you can access online at --LinkRemoved--.

In addition, you can find historical class rank information at

--LinkRemoved--. This will give you a better sense of the performance level required to meet the GPA requirement. For example, in fall 2009, a 3.20 GPA would have placed a student in the top 35% of the class. I hope you find this information helpful. We wish you the best in making your decision."


So I guess we are getting it easy with the 3.2? I'm pretty confident in my ability to get in the top 35% though, especially with the financial incentive on my side.


To me, what this means is that 65% to 70% of students will not qualify for scholarship renewal after first year. I bet a lot of people think they can be in the top 35% of a class, but remember that 65% of them won't be.



Ya, thats what has me worried. I know I'm going to work as hard as I can to maintain my scholarship, but every other 0L is thinking the exact same thing right now. :(

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby traehekat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm not a fan of that response/data at all.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby moandersen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:55 pm

traehekat wrote:I'm not a fan of that response/data at all.


+1. not much security when only the top 1/3 retain their scholarships....bummer.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:00 pm

fl0w wrote:
To me, what this means is that 65% to 70% of students will not qualify for scholarship renewal after first year. I bet a lot of people think they can be in the top 35% of a class, but remember that 65% of them won't be.


No. This would only be the case if 100% of the entering class had the scholarship. If 35% of students in the class are offered the money, and they all place in the top 35% of the class, then they all keep it.

I got in today via snail mail with the $60,000 offer.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:03 pm

I mean a lot of people on here have gotten the offer, and a lot of people on LSN too. But that's not necessarily representative of the entire entering class.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby fl0w » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:22 pm

td6624 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
To me, what this means is that 65% to 70% of students will not qualify for scholarship renewal after first year. I bet a lot of people think they can be in the top 35% of a class, but remember that 65% of them won't be.


No. This would only be the case if 100% of the entering class had the scholarship. If 35% of students in the class are offered the money, and they all place in the top 35% of the class, then they all keep it.

I got in today via snail mail with the $60,000 offer.


No, you misread what I wrote.

65% to 70% of students will not qualify for scholarship renewal. This is 65% yo 70% of the student body as a whole. So regardless of if you have a scholarship or not, you'll have to fall in the 30% to 35% of students who have grades that would qualify them to maintain that scholarship.

You are not competing with just the people that have scholarships for the top 35%. It's against the whole class. It doesn't matter what percentage of people have the scholarship; you have to be in the top 35% of the whole class.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:25 pm

fl0w wrote:
td6624 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
To me, what this means is that 65% to 70% of students will not qualify for scholarship renewal after first year. I bet a lot of people think they can be in the top 35% of a class, but remember that 65% of them won't be.


No. This would only be the case if 100% of the entering class had the scholarship. If 35% of students in the class are offered the money, and they all place in the top 35% of the class, then they all keep it.

I got in today via snail mail with the $60,000 offer.


No, you misread what I wrote.

65% to 70% of students will not qualify for scholarship renewal. This is 65% yo 70% of the student body as a whole. So regardless of if you have a scholarship or not, you'll have to fall in the 30% to 35% of students who have grades that would qualify them to maintain that scholarship.

You are not competing with just the people that have scholarships for the top 35%. It's against the whole class. It doesn't matter what percentage of people have the scholarship; you have to be in the top 35% of the whole class.



I know. But you said that 65-70% of all students won't qualify for scholarship renewal. People who were never offered the scholarship aren't eligible for renewal and shouldn't be placed in the same pool. One would assume that people who are offered the scholarship are generally more likely to place in the top third of the class, right? I don't think those stats are as disconcerting as you guys are making them out to be.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby fl0w » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:34 pm

td6624 wrote:I know. But you said that 65-70% of all students won't qualify for scholarship renewal. People who were never offered the scholarship aren't eligible for renewal and shouldn't be placed in the same pool. One would assume that people who are offered the scholarship are generally more likely to place in the top third of the class, right? I don't think those stats are as disconcerting as you guys are making them out to be.


The bolded statement above is accurate. regardless of if the scholarship is offered to you, you still would not be eligible to maintain it if you were not in the top 35%.

If you have the scholarship you have to be in the top 35% of all students.

And no, it's not necessarily true that those students are more likely to be in the top 35%. scholarships are also offered to to URMs or to some people to sway them from other schools.

Maybe it's not AS dismal, but it's dismal.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby charlesjd » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:36 pm

In yesterday.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:39 pm

fl0w wrote:
td6624 wrote:I know. But you said that 65-70% of all students won't qualify for scholarship renewal. People who were never offered the scholarship aren't eligible for renewal and shouldn't be placed in the same pool. One would assume that people who are offered the scholarship are generally more likely to place in the top third of the class, right? I don't think those stats are as disconcerting as you guys are making them out to be.


The bolded statement above is accurate. regardless of if the scholarship is offered to you, you still would not be eligible to maintain it if you were not in the top 35%.

If you have the scholarship you have to be in the top 35% of all students.

And no, it's not necessarily true that those students are more likely to be in the top 35%. scholarships are also offered to to URMs or to some people to sway them from other schools.

Maybe it's not AS dismal, but it's dismal.


I think I'm just looking at it more optimistically. Glass half full kinda guy or something.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: DePaul 2013

Postby moandersen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:48 pm

well i have yet to receive the admit letter/packet, but i just got an email from a legal writing prof congratulating me on my acceptance.... :shock:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, blackmamba8, brinicolec, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], hellohalo, Yahoo [Bot], zeglo and 15 guests