Stetson 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kinetic42

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby Kinetic42 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:12 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Have been on both UF and Stetson's Wait Lists since about April, just got a call from Stetson and I've been offered a seat. I plan on accepting and forsaking UF (which I'm sure is a lost cause at this point).

According to the person who called me there has been a lot of movement on their WL this week after virtually none previously. This might mean good things for those still waiting for a call. Figured I'd share the good news for people still hoping to hear something.

163 LSAT/Under 3.0 GPA

GL to everyone still waiting for a call.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:04 pm

Kinetic42 wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster.

Have been on both UF and Stetson's Wait Lists since about April, just got a call from Stetson and I've been offered a seat. I plan on accepting and forsaking UF (which I'm sure is a lost cause at this point).

According to the person who called me there has been a lot of movement on their WL this week after virtually none previously. This might mean good things for those still waiting for a call. Figured I'd share the good news for people still hoping to hear something.

163 LSAT/Under 3.0 GPA

163/even slightly sub3.0 GPA I figured would be auto-admit for stetson....

HenryDavid

Postby HenryDavid » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:21 pm

GATORTIM wrote:hey Carrowd3, thanks for taking q's

Do you anticipate participating in moot court or making LR? What percentage of your time "studying" was spent on campus vs. your apt/house?

As another Stetson student who just completed first year, I will hop on and give my two cents as well.

I am not trying out for moot court or trial team this year, as I am not even remotely interested in trial work for firms. I may take a shot at ADR teams next year, after taking skills classes in that area. Law Review is something that I will accept if I manage to grade on, which is a possibilitity, although not probability, sometime over the next 2 years. Did not try writing on to it this year, but will possibly try to do so in the future if grades do not get me there.

I commute about 45-60 minutes each way from northern Clearwater, which is definitely a disadvantage, as I lost 7-10 hours per week 1st year that I could have spent studying had I been nearer campus. Most of my studying was at home, which was mildly distracting, as the focus was not there. The time I did spend studying on campus at the library was generally more productive, at least when I found the more secluded sections.

I still think the best strategy for anyone entering law school is to focus on getting the best grades possible, because the options are much better the higher the grades (and thus rankings) are. It is IMPERATIVE that you learn how to take a law school exam BEFORE first semester exams. Especially if you are not used to writing essay exams from UG. I'm pretty sure carrowd3 could give you some pointers on adapting from a scientific background to writing law exams.

Kinetic42

Postby Kinetic42 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:59 pm

darby girl wrote:

163 LSAT/Under 3.0 GPA

163/even slightly sub3.0 GPA I figured would be auto-admit for stetson....

My cumulative GPA was just barely above 2.5, although that's mostly from a poor first two years. Also I applied late. Mostly my fault on those fronts, obviously.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:01 pm

HenryDavid is the greatest man alive. Heed his words for he is wise.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:04 pm

honestly, I really hope stetson offers me some $$ because I really like it and I could work at my job each summer and starting again 2L. Rankings aside, it is my favorite school in FL. So, I wish it would either jump in the rankings or offer me $, and then I could go there :).

callofduty

Postby callofduty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:05 pm

163 LSAT/Under 3.0 GPA

Congrats and thanks for the update! What did they say when they called? I'm curious how much time they give you to make a decision.

Kinetic42

Postby Kinetic42 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:56 pm

callofduty wrote:

163 LSAT/Under 3.0 GPA

Congrats and thanks for the update! What did they say when they called? I'm curious how much time they give you to make a decision.

Not much time at all. I think they're starting to crunch, but as I was pretty much already decided before they called it wasn't that big of a deal to me. My guess is they're looking at filling the last few seats, if that.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:08 am

Adding to what HenryDavid said...and about where to live.

I commute about 45-60 minutes each way from northern Clearwater, which is definitely a disadvantage, as I lost 7-10 hours per week 1st year that I could have spent studying had I been nearer campus. Most of my studying was at home, which was mildly distracting, as the focus was not there. The time I did spend studying on campus at the library was generally more productive, at least when I found the more secluded sections.

Avoid this situation if you can. The commuting time adds up and I assure you that you will want that time for something other than driving. There are plenty of places close to campus. Find one. Check out Caldwell Realty's listings on Craigslist (search Caldwell and Gulfport). I rented my house from them: 2br/1ba, FL room, screen porch, garage, yard, but kind of crappy, $800/mo. 1br apartments run about the same price. Renting a house is quite affordable in the area. Anywhere in Gulfport is good, but I'd avoid the block from around 50th st to 34th st and 22nd ave S to Central Ave. Also, S. Pasedena and Tyrone Sq would be nice. If you want an apartment complex, look at Seaside Villas down by the beach in Gulfport. Some of the residential areas are a bit ghetto, so check it out first before signing, if possible.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:23 pm

carrowd3 wrote:Adding to what HenryDavid said...and about where to live.

Avoid this situation if you can. The commuting time adds up and I assure you that you will want that time for something other than driving. There are plenty of places close to campus. Find one. Check out Caldwell Realty's listings on Craigslist (search Caldwell and Gulfport). I rented my house from them: 2br/1ba, FL room, screen porch, garage, yard, but kind of crappy, $800/mo. 1br apartments run about the same price. Renting a house is quite affordable in the area. Anywhere in Gulfport is good, but I'd avoid the block from around 50th st to 34th st and 22nd ave S to Central Ave. Also, S. Pasedena and Tyrone Sq would be nice. If you want an apartment complex, look at Seaside Villas down by the beach in Gulfport. Some of the residential areas are a bit ghetto, so check it out first before signing, if possible.

Thanks to Carrowd3 and HenryDavid,
I will be living in Hyde Park (primarily because it is somewhat equidistant from Stetson and wife's job), Rad Law (my new TLS friend) was telling me that he didnt think this commute would be too bad (likely taking crosstown to Gandy Bridge). I have checked morning and afternoon traffic patterns and it appears okay. What do you think?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:58 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
I will be living in Hyde Park (primarily because it is somewhat equidistant from Stetson and wife's job), Rad Law (my new TLS friend) was telling me that he didnt think this commute would be too bad (likely taking crosstown to Gandy Bridge). I have checked morning and afternoon traffic patterns and it appears okay. What do you think?

Fyi: The Crosstown is a toll road. The crosstown you wont have that much of a problem with traffic but the Gandy Bridge can get pretty backed up. I would avoid at normal trafficky hours but for the most part I think you'll be fine.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:22 pm

trialjunky wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:

Fyi: The Crosstown is a toll road. The crosstown you wont have that much of a problem with traffic but the Gandy Bridge can get pretty backed up. I would avoid at normal trafficky hours but for the most part I think you'll be fine.

45 minutes or so. My fiance's commute is from Gulfport to beside USF (over in Tampa) and it's 45 minutes and traffic is good in that direction, but I have no idea what it's like from Tampa to St Pete in the morning. You gotta do what you gotta do for the wife. Keep her happy so she can keep you sane during your 1L.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:32 pm

carrowd3 wrote:45 minutes or so. My fiance's commute is from Gulfport to beside USF (over in Tampa) and it's 45 minutes and traffic is good in that direction, but I have no idea what it's like from Tampa to St Pete in the morning. You gotta do what you gotta do for the wife. Keep her happy so she can keep you sane during your 1L.

Gatortim, since you live in South Tampa, subtract 15 minutes or so, because that's about how long it takes to get to USF from your place.

Kinetic42

Postby Kinetic42 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Anyone have any information on the Brandywine Apartments?

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Kinetic42 wrote:Anyone have any information on the Brandywine Apartments?

--LinkRemoved--

callofduty

Postby callofduty » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:27 am

Anyone else on the wait list hear anything??

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:55 pm

are u from tampa?

callofduty

Postby callofduty » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:46 pm

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:are u from tampa?

I live in Tampa currently, but I'm not from here. My plan B is St. Thomas in Miami Gardens- they offered me a half scholly like a week after I applied. Not my ideal situation, but I'll do what I have to when the time comes.

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:07 pm

anyone hear anything about the Stetson Law dorms?? they are kind of cheap...

callofduty

Postby callofduty » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:10 pm

Withdrawing from the wait list tomorrow... I'm ready to decide on a place to live and this has been a stressful 8 month wait. I hope someone who really wants it (like I did) gets a seat. Best of luck to you all!

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:09 am

Is anybody else on TLS attending Stetson? I drove out to the campus yesterday and i'll tell ya...I'm not looking forward to strolling around in the humidity all day on the 17th in a wool suit, but the campus is very pretty and bigger than I remembered. See yall in a couple weeks!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:53 am

GATORTIM wrote:Is anybody else on TLS attending Stetson? I drove out to the campus yesterday and i'll tell ya...I'm not looking forward to strolling around in the humidity all day on the 17th in a wool suit, but the campus is very pretty and bigger than I remembered. See yall in a couple weeks!

wool suit?? whyyyyy?? i'm coming to campus soon to tour and meet some guy named Darren I think? maybe I'll even pop in on one of your 1L classes :)

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:05 am

Barbie wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:Is anybody else on TLS attending Stetson? I drove out to the campus yesterday and i'll tell ya...I'm not looking forward to strolling around in the humidity all day on the 17th in a wool suit, but the campus is very pretty and bigger than I remembered. See yall in a couple weeks!

wool suit?? whyyyyy?? i'm coming to campus soon to tour and meet some guy named Darren I think? maybe I'll even pop in on one of your 1L classes :)

Cool!! You def should, Darren is awesome (at least via email). If you do pop in I'll be the guy in the wool suit and patent leather briefcase :wink: :wink:

nolesr1

Postby nolesr1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:14 pm

is any man out there going to wear a suit to orientation on the first day... seriously, its f'in hot outside and i dont want to wear a suit

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:19 pm

nolesr1 wrote:is any man out there going to wear a suit to orientation on the first day... seriously, its f'in hot outside and i dont want to wear a suit

The letter says "formal", so I will be wearing a suit. However I do think its a tad ridiculous they don't reconsidered this given the 95 degrees and humidity

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”