Stetson 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maroe
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:09 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby maroe » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Is there anyone here who is choosing Stetson over FSU or UF and can explain why? I'm looking at going to Stetson with a half scholly or going to FSU, so tuition wise it's about even. I am in love with Stetson's campus and already live in the Tampa Bay area, but I am still having trouble picking them over FSU. Thanks for the input.

lawschoolstudent85
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:03 pm

,,,
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

maroe
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:09 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby maroe » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:10 am

wiggsb wrote:
maroe wrote:Is there anyone here who is choosing Stetson over FSU or UF and can explain why? I'm looking at going to Stetson with a half scholly or going to FSU, so tuition wise it's about even. I am in love with Stetson's campus and already live in the Tampa Bay area, but I am still having trouble picking them over FSU. Thanks for the input.


Would you be happy with staying in the Tampa area for your first job? If you weren't, I think that's really the only downside to Stetson. Not only is the school pretty damn good, it's also beautiful. Other than the fact that it seems your job opportunities are limited to the Tampa area, it's a pretty solid choice.

(take this advice with a grain of salt, what do I really know?)


Heh, I appreciate the advice nonetheless. The more I think about it, the more I lean towards FSU. I really don't have any idea what I want to do for my first job after law school. I am probably going to go to Stetson's admitted students day this weekend just to check it out one more time.

User avatar
redvelvetccake
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby redvelvetccake » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:37 am

maroe wrote:Is there anyone here who is choosing Stetson over FSU or UF and can explain why? I'm looking at going to Stetson with a half scholly or going to FSU, so tuition wise it's about even. I am in love with Stetson's campus and already live in the Tampa Bay area, but I am still having trouble picking them over FSU. Thanks for the input.


I took Stetson's offer over UF's, although technically I have not straight out told UF no yet. I completely fell in love with the Stetson campus and atmosphere. Everyone I have spoken to from students to professors and the administration has been so helpful and friendly. Dealing with UF was and up until today, when I finally had one good experience with someone from there, has been a nightmare.

shawty18ga
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby shawty18ga » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 pm

This thread needs some life. Did anybody attend the ASD last Saturday?

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:42 am

I was hoping to see Stetson return back on the rankings this year. They use to be Tier 2, but they're not on the new leaked rankings. It's crazy because in the speciality ratings Stetson does really well.

shawty18ga
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby shawty18ga » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:35 am

trialjunky wrote:I was hoping to see Stetson return back on the rankings this year. They use to be Tier 2, but they're not on the new leaked rankings. It's crazy because in the speciality ratings Stetson does really well.


I was a bit disappointed with this as well. I'm not too worried, though. Dean Dickerson told me that they had 93% employment for the class of '09, so they're doing pretty well even ITE.

maroe
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:09 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby maroe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 pm

withdrew and freed up some cash. Hopefully some of you fine folks get it.

auerbadr
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby auerbadr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Just got accepted! See you fellow TLSrs this fall

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Withdrew today. For some reason, no scholarship offer accompanied my acceptance. However, I was probably moving back to the Midwest anyways.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:30 am

JCougar wrote:Withdrew today. For some reason, no scholarship offer accompanied my acceptance.



THIS

User avatar
smartin
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby smartin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Withdrew yesterday. Hopefully someone from TLS can snatch up my spot and $10/k offer.

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:30 pm

JCougar wrote:Withdrew today. For some reason, no scholarship offer accompanied my acceptance. However, I was probably moving back to the Midwest anyways.


did the same for the same reason, several days ago. I really liked Stetson, and I thought I had a decent chance at some $, oh well.

kevod10386
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby kevod10386 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:52 pm

What are my chances of getting a scholarship with a 3.5/160? I'm not an URM and applied kind of late but I was accepted pretty much immediately and I emailed with someone who works there and said to check in after May 7, but from LSN it looks like a lot of people have rejected scholarships...

User avatar
Moose Thompson
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby Moose Thompson » Tue May 04, 2010 12:14 pm

kevod10386 wrote:What are my chances of getting a scholarship with a 3.5/160? I'm not an URM and applied kind of late but I was accepted pretty much immediately and I emailed with someone who works there and said to check in after May 7, but from LSN it looks like a lot of people have rejected scholarships...


It's anyones guess. I spoke to Darren last week and he told me they were out of money at the moment. I'm sure May 7 is a major deposit day, so they will have some idea of how much money is free'd up. Good luck!

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby GATORTIM » Tue May 04, 2010 2:02 pm

did you make your decision Moose?

User avatar
Moose Thompson
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby Moose Thompson » Tue May 04, 2010 2:35 pm

GATORTIM wrote:did you make your decision Moose?



I did. I will be there in the fall, looks like we will be classmates. :D

VeritasLaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby VeritasLaw » Thu May 06, 2010 4:38 pm

I am starting to worry. I have been submitted for review since 04/15. Do I even have a chance of being admitted? I went to GWU and graduated with a 3.69 with a LSAT of 154. I really want to go to Stetson, but this wait is not fun. Does anyone have any ideas?

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby GATORTIM » Thu May 06, 2010 7:39 pm

VeritasLaw wrote:I am starting to worry. I have been submitted for review since 04/15. Do I even have a chance of being admitted? I went to GWU and graduated with a 3.69 with a LSAT of 154. I really want to go to Stetson, but this wait is not fun. Does anyone have any ideas?


At this point, I would f/up with admissions they are very quick to respond. Are you applying FT or PT?

See ya in the Fall Moose!

VeritasLaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby VeritasLaw » Thu May 06, 2010 7:48 pm

I don't want to see desperate. I am applying FT for the Fall. What do you guys think?

Margaret Cavendish
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby Margaret Cavendish » Fri May 07, 2010 10:20 am

Moose and Gator, see ya in the fall. Any idea on where you're living?

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby GATORTIM » Fri May 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Margaret Cavendish wrote:Moose and Gator, see ya in the fall. Any idea on where you're living?


I'm still in California and will not be moving until the end of July. My wife is working on a transfer to Tampa so I prob won't be able to live in Gulfport or even St. Pete, more than likely will be looking at South Tampa. I'm in a wedding in Central Fl at the end of June and will spend some time looking then.

pacwoman
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby pacwoman » Wed May 12, 2010 4:22 pm

when your status changed to "decision mailed" was there anything in the box for seat deposit?

nbart
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 am

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby nbart » Thu May 20, 2010 10:29 am

GATORTIM wrote:
Margaret Cavendish wrote:Moose and Gator, see ya in the fall. Any idea on where you're living?


I'm still in California and will not be moving until the end of July. My wife is working on a transfer to Tampa so I prob won't be able to live in Gulfport or even St. Pete, more than likely will be looking at South Tampa. I'm in a wedding in Central Fl at the end of June and will spend some time looking then.


Got my acceptance a while back. My wife and I found a nice house in the Apollo Beach area that is only a 35 minute drive from campus. I let her do all of the searching seeing as she's a native and I'm from up north.

See you all this fall.

AffirmativeOffense
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:25 pm

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby AffirmativeOffense » Thu May 20, 2010 10:48 am

redvelvetccake wrote:
maroe wrote:Is there anyone here who is choosing Stetson over FSU or UF and can explain why? I'm looking at going to Stetson with a half scholly or going to FSU, so tuition wise it's about even. I am in love with Stetson's campus and already live in the Tampa Bay area, but I am still having trouble picking them over FSU. Thanks for the input.


I took Stetson's offer over UF's, although technically I have not straight out told UF no yet. I completely fell in love with the Stetson campus and atmosphere. Everyone I have spoken to from students to professors and the administration has been so helpful and friendly. Dealing with UF was and up until today, when I finally had one good experience with someone from there, has been a nightmare.


UF also has, without a doubt, much better placement within the state of Florida. "Falling in love with the campus" is certainly a nice feeling, but this is a profession you are about to enter- a profession that has been contracting. If you want to practice in FL, UF is almost always the best choice unless you're getting a full ride to Stetson. Less emotion, more logic. Go t14, go state, or don't go to law school unless you're getting a full ride.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests