Stetson 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roguey

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby roguey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:28 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
roguey wrote:Dear Stetson,

Please disregard the letter I sent this afternoon notifying admissions of my withdrawal due to the inability to afford to attend this fall. Thank you for the envelope containing a full scholarship and $5,000 stipend I found on my porch when I got home from the post office. I really do not wish to withdraw now. Can you help me with that?

THANK YOU!!!
Roguey

Dear Roguey,

Sorry, but we have already processed your request and awarded said scholarship to GatorTim (the guy with the Lieutenant Martin Riggs 'tar). Good luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Stetson

Dear Stetson,

*cries*

Sincerely,
Roguey

smartin

Postby smartin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Please disregard the letter I sent this afternoon notifying admissions of my withdrawal due to the inability to afford to attend this fall. Thank you for the envelope containing a full scholarship and $5,000 stipend I found on my porch when I got home from the post office. I really do not wish to withdraw now. Can you help me with that?

THANK YOU!!!
Roguey

Congrats!!!!

roguey

Postby roguey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:33 pm

smartin wrote:

THANK YOU!!!
Roguey

Congrats!!!!

Thank you!!! :) They emailed me back, and it is all ok. Honestly, unless another school pours money on me, I'll be at Stetson in the fall. I really can't pass that up. I've already planned a trip there next weekend :)

MMLAW

Postby MMLAW » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:13 am

How frequently does the admissions committee meet at Stetson Law? I know it's a rolling admissions process. My application was sent to committe last Friday (3/12). I know some people hear back in a week and in some cases, it can take months. I know it depends on the factors of your application as well, but my question really aims to know how often they meet.

I am applying for the part time program.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 pm

mailed seat deposit today

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:08 pm

GATORTIM wrote:mailed seat deposit today

Congrats, dude. So, no June LSAT re-take then?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:16 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:

Ha, probably not. I really need to get this show on the road and although the in-state tuition at UF or FSU (vomits in mouth) is appealing, I need to go to school in a larger market so my wife can transfer her job. I think she would have a difficult time finding employment in Gainesville outside of working a beer tub a the Swamp or Grog House. I've done a lot of reasearch on Stetson and I feel their location in placement in the Tampa Bay area (a place neither of us would mind calling "home") somewhat mitigates any shortcomings in prestige or rankings.

are you re-taking in June? is Stetson still in the running?

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:39 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:

Ha, probably not. I really need to get this show on the road and although the in-state tuition at UF or FSU (vomits in mouth) is appealing, I need to go to school in a larger market so my wife can transfer her job. I think she would have a difficult time finding employment in Gainesville outside of working a beer tub a the Swamp or Grog House. I've done a lot of reasearch on Stetson and I feel their location in placement in the Tampa Bay area (a place neither of us would mind calling "home") somewhat mitigates any shortcomings in prestige or rankings.

Stetson is #1 right now, and I'm completely undecided on re-taking. Half of me knows that I can break the 170 barrier and the other half knows I don't won't to bother with all of the time and pressure of preparing, only to be forced to take a year off at the age of 31.

I'm going to sit in on a class tomorrow at UF and attending their ASD on Friday. Next week I visit FSU and then it's decision time. Like you, I'm perfectly happy building a life in Tampa/St Pete, so it really comes down to where I will be happiest. I'm feeling more and more like Stetson will be that place.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:21 pm

I feel ya, I will be 30 in November

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:22 pm

I visited the campus three weeks ago on a weekend when no one was there. They have not one, but two outdoor swimming pools on campus. I can just see going to class in my swimming trunks and sandals in the September heat and diving in on the way back to my house.

Stetson's a safety for me, and I'm leaning towards moving back to the Midwest rather than staying in Florida, so I probably will not end up there, but after visiting the campus, it sure was appealing. I love that whole area...the Gulfport-St. Pete Beach area. If I were to stay in Florida, that's definitely where I'd want to be. Hmm...maybe an awesome scholarship will change my mind. :D

roguey

Postby roguey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 pm

JCougar wrote:I visited the campus three weeks ago on a weekend when no one was there. They have not one, but two outdoor swimming pools on campus. I can just see going to class in my swimming trunks and sandals in the September heat and diving in on the way back to my house.

Stetson's a safety for me, and I'm leaning towards moving back to the Midwest rather than staying in Florida, so I probably will not end up there, but after visiting the campus, it sure was appealing. I love that whole area...the Gulfport-St. Pete Beach area. If I were to stay in Florida, that's definitely where I'd want to be. Hmm...maybe an awesome scholarship will change my mind. :D

An awesome scholarship changed my mind for sure. My fiancé and I are going to visit this weekend. I don't want to stay in the area... but they have an awesome opportunity that I can't pass up with the dual US and Spanish law degrees... that would definitely help me for immigration law.

OneShotFinch128

Postby OneShotFinch128 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Hey I have a question for all of you getting some Scholarship Info from Stetson. I got into Stetson a couple of weeks ago and have a 155 3.93, what do you think my chances of getting some Scholly money is and if so how much? Is there anyone who has number similar to mine that wouldn't mind sharing their merit amount. Thanks guys, this is also my first post to TLS, so needless to say I'm a little behind the times

roguey

Postby roguey » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 pm

OneShotFinch128 wrote:Hey I have a question for all of you getting some Scholarship Info from Stetson. I got into Stetson a couple of weeks ago and have a 155 3.93, what do you think my chances of getting some Scholly money is and if so how much? Is there anyone who has number similar to mine that wouldn't mind sharing their merit amount. Thanks guys, this is also my first post to TLS, so needless to say I'm a little behind the times

From looking at the applicants on lawschoolnumbers, it looks like they give scholarships starting at 157. But you never know. You can always try contacting them to see if they have anything.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:05 pm

OneShotFinch128 wrote:Hey I have a question for all of you getting some Scholarship Info from Stetson. I got into Stetson a couple of weeks ago and have a 155 3.93, what do you think my chances of getting some Scholly money is and if so how much? Is there anyone who has number similar to mine that wouldn't mind sharing their merit amount. Thanks guys, this is also my first post to TLS, so needless to say I'm a little behind the times

http://stetson.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

You can try looking there, but my guess is that you're not going to get much. Stetson's full-time median LSAT score was 156 last year, and I haven't seen many schools at all give scholarship money to people below the LSAT median.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:06 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 pm

To those of you who received scholarship, when did you find out? Was your scholarship with your acceptance letter or later?

lawlec48

Postby lawlec48 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 pm

wiggsb wrote:

Darren, the assistant director of admissions, stated in a financial aid chat that the LSAT threshold for scholarships is a 160.

WIggsb, did Darren indicate a threshold for UGPA?

roguey

Postby roguey » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:50 pm

jaxangler wrote:To those of you who received scholarship, when did you find out? Was your scholarship with your acceptance letter or later?

I got my scholarship via fedex overnight a month after my acceptance... actually the same day I sent in my withdrawal. Luckily admissions is super-nice and agreed to disregard the withdrawal letter stating that I was withdrawing due to inability to afford tuition :)

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:55 pm

v
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:45 am

Conflicted!

I love Stetson! I've visited the campus twice now, and I LOVE it there. EVERYONE is so freaking nice, it's crazy. They're number 1 in trial advocacy (my username tells you how I feel about that) and they're ranked high for writing. How the hell are they TTT school?!!?

Should you base your law school decision on numbers alone?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:53 am

trialjunky wrote:Conflicted!

I love Stetson! I've visited the campus twice now, and I LOVE it there. EVERYONE is so freaking nice, it's crazy. They're number 1 in trial advocacy (my username tells you how I feel about that) and they're ranked high for writing. How the hell are they TTT school?!!?

Should you base your law school decision on numbers alone?

IMHO, Stetson's kind of special in that its reputation in central Florida is very good (and even throughout the rest of Florida), but it doesn't have a university attached to it with sports teams, an undergrad, etc. Consequently, most people outside of Florida have never heard of it, so I think its reputation scores get hurt. If you're sure you want to work in Florida, and especially the Tampa Bay area, Stetson is a very good idea, it seems, especially when you factor in quality of life. Living in St. Pete would beat living in Gainesville in my book.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:22 am

lawlec48 wrote:
wiggsb wrote:

Darren, the assistant director of admissions, stated in a financial aid chat that the LSAT threshold for scholarships is a 160.

WIggsb, did Darren indicate a threshold for UGPA?

He told me around 3.5 is usually the threshold for full schollys, but it was just in conversation so take it with a grain of salt. I truly feel with Stetson it's a case-by-case decision. They really seem to dig into each application.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 am

wiggsb wrote:

great....I emailed Lauren Zippo back in February inquiring on merit aid and she told me that usually they gave scholarships to 160+ LSATS and higher gpa's (not vague or anything) but she was nice and said that if I was to be taken into consideration it would be for a half to partial scholarship (159, 3.5)

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:02 am

Moose Thompson wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:

Stetson is #1 right now, and I'm completely undecided on re-taking. Half of me knows that I can break the 170 barrier and the other half knows I don't won't to bother with all of the time and pressure of preparing, only to be forced to take a year off at the age of 31.

I'm going to sit in on a class tomorrow at UF and attending their ASD on Friday. Next week I visit FSU and then it's decision time. Like you, I'm perfectly happy building a life in Tampa/St Pete, so it really comes down to where I will be happiest. I'm feeling more and more like Stetson will be that place.

I absolutely hate Tampa/ St. Pete. I'm a UCF graduate who moved to St. Pete after graduation, and I hate living here. Stetson does have a nice campus though; however, that won't be enough to make me live here forever. I was accepted to Stetson last month and unfortunately withdrew. Good luck to everyone!

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:24 am

as stars burn wrote:I absolutely hate Tampa/ St. Pete. I'm a UCF graduate who moved to St. Pete after graduation, and I hate living here. Stetson does have a nice campus though; however, that won't be enough to make me live here forever. I was accepted to Stetson last month and unfortunately withdrew. Good luck to everyone!

What exactly do you dislike about it?

I've already withdrawn, but just curious.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”