Stetson 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
deadpanic

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby deadpanic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:33 pm

safoamerica1 wrote:My status checker changed to:

Decision Status: Decision made/sent by U.S. mail
Decision Status Date: 3/3/2010

I did not receive any e-mails or a call form admissions like many other ppl did. Does this mean WL/reject?
I still have not gotten the decision in the mail.
Thanks

I am pretty sure all decisions get this, regardless of WL/reject/acceptance. I had this on my status checker & was accepted. Just wait and see what you get in the mail. Acceptance=big packet.

Withdrew today. Hopefully someone gets my spot. Would love to attend, but too expensive at sticker.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Where are you gonna end up, deadpanic?

lawlec48

Postby lawlec48 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:15 pm

I had the opportunity to visit Stetson yesterday and take in a class and campus tour. My wife and are actually still in town looking at st pete and tampa to see if this is where we'd be interested in living.

As most others have stated, the campus is great and the admissions staff was amazing. The tour was nice and the school does have a strong family feel. I actully didn't mind gulfport although some areas are pretty slummy and I'd obviously stay clear on living in these areas but I loved the relaxed feel. My wife on the other hand did not like gulfport at all, she wants a downtown, big city feel, not a beach bum relaxed feel. Luckily she really liked downtown st pete, which made up for her dislike of gulfport, plus she loves the weather, beaches, and water. Looks like if I attend stetson I might be living downtown and commuting, which wouldn't truly bother me.

Regarding the class I observed, con law with prof Morrissey, I was very very pleased. He used the socratic method but didn't abuse anyone for not knowing the answer, and he was entertaining and very knowledgable. It was great to hear he works with international law too as this is an area of interest. I would suggest Morrissey once u can pick classes and don't fret if u see him on your schedule during 1l. The students in the class were overly nice and 2 students from my home state (wi) came up and introduced themselves and gave us contact info for more questions. The class was generally prepared for class, some students were having a hard time grasping some suttle differences in the content(interstate commerce disputes) but generally the class seemed to have a good grasp and they worked hand-in-hand with one another when someone didn't have the answer when called upon.

If anyone has any questions about st pete, stetson, or tampa I'll try to answer it for you.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Lawlec, I might be looking to commute from downtown St. Pete as well. How long is the commute? I wouldn't want to drive more than 15 minutes each way max. Also, let me know if you find any good places that aren't too expensive.

Onion

Postby Onion » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Withdrawing this week, can't afford to go with out a scholly and Stetson is showing no love. Hope someone on TLS gets my spot... good luck all!

lawlec48

Postby lawlec48 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:13 pm

shawty18ga wrote:Lawlec, I might be looking to commute from downtown St. Pete as well. How long is the commute? I wouldn't want to drive more than 15 minutes each way max. Also, let me know if you find any good places that aren't too expensive.

The commute from downtown st pete to campus wasn't too bad. Admissions department said about a 10 min drive but it was more like 15 min plus. We've found some nice places but nothing posted prices, so that is something I'll have to look into at home online or call for pricing.

On a side note, went to ybor today. Seemed like a lot of fun, tons of bars and resturants. Downtown tampa doesn't seem to have a scene but channelside and ybor are within 5-10 min drive which gives u the downtown party, social scene.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:56 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
shawty18ga wrote:Lawlec, I might be looking to commute from downtown St. Pete as well. How long is the commute? I wouldn't want to drive more than 15 minutes each way max. Also, let me know if you find any good places that aren't too expensive.

The commute from downtown st pete to campus wasn't too bad. Admissions department said about a 10 min drive but it was more like 15 min plus. We've found some nice places but nothing posted prices, so that is something I'll have to look into at home online or call for pricing.

On a side note, went to ybor today. Seemed like a lot of fun, tons of bars and resturants. Downtown tampa doesn't seem to have a scene but channelside and ybor are within 5-10 min drive which gives u the downtown party, social scene.

Downtown Tampa has a fun strip of bars that are focused around our age group. I will find out the name of the street for you, it has a lot of different places and is much cleaner than Ybor.

Margaret Cavendish

Postby Margaret Cavendish » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:

Downtown Tampa has a fun strip of bars that are focused around our age group. I will find out the name of the street for you, it has a lot of different places and is much cleaner than Ybor.

The Hyde Park area is nice. There are lots of little bars/restaurants there (Cheap, The Lime, The Lodge, The Rack, Macdintons). The main street is Howard.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Margaret Cavendish wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:

The Hyde Park area is nice. There are lots of little bars/restaurants there (Cheap, The Lime, The Lodge, The Rack, Macdintons). The main street is Howard.

Thanks! That is exactly where I was talking about.

Royal68

Postby Royal68 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Hey i just got accepted to Stetson and i was wondering how stetson grads did in the Miami legal market. Does anyone have info????

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:48 pm

If any of you find any good places to live, let me know. I am having a hard time finding good information on housing down there. I'm used to the whole college town apartment thing, so St. Pete is a bit different for me.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Royal68 wrote:Hey i just got accepted to Stetson and i was wondering how stetson grads did in the Miami legal market. Does anyone have info????

There seem to be a good many Stetson grads in the Miami area. However, I would say that the competition with the Miami grads is probably fierce. I did a search on martindale.com and came up with about 123 Stetson grads in Miami. HTH.

Royal68

Postby Royal68 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:55 pm

There seem to be a good many Stetson grads in the Miami area. However, I would say that the competition with the Miami grads is probably fierce. I did a search on martindale.com and came up with about 123 Stetson grads in Miami. HTH.[/quote]

Thanks for the info!!

MMLAW

Postby MMLAW » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:14 pm

PT applicant with files that were sent out from LSAC just last Wednesday.

155/3.3/(3.69)

Finance B.S.
Harvard Leadership courses
Student Government Leadership
3 years in Corporate Finance

I feel that based on my grades and my softs that I have a reasonably good chance. I think the wild card aspect is the fact that I applied relatively late in the cycle.

Are there any other PT applicant's who are dealing with similar circumstances?

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:28 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows if any more scholarships are coming out? Stetson is my second choice pending a decision from UF but there is no way I am paying sticker when I could also go to UM and pay less. Stats: 167, 3.35, URM

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:30 pm

I will likely be living in Hyde Park or Channelside

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:33 pm

redvelvetccake wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows if any more scholarships are coming out? Stetson is my second choice pending a decision from UF but there is no way I am paying sticker when I could also go to UM and pay less. Stats: 167, 3.35, URM

I doubt you will be paying sticker at Stetson w/ those stats, but I would email them and ask. They are extremely cooperative and respond quickly.

MMLAW

Postby MMLAW » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I will likely be living in Hyde Park or Channelside

I would also consider looking at Bayshore. It's a little bit more expensive but definitley a remarkable place to live. There are plenty of condos that you can rent comparable to what you would be paying in Hyde Park or Channeliside. Also, Hyde Park rentals are small because they were built in the 20's and 30's (primarily). Channelside has some newer construction, but it feels a little empty there. Be as close to Howard Avenue as you can. You will be close to I-275 and all of the restaurants and bars that make South Tampa the best residential address in Tampa Bay

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:56 pm

MMLAW wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:I will likely be living in Hyde Park or Channelside

I would also consider looking at Bayshore. It's a little bit more expensive but definitley a remarkable place to live. There are plenty of condos that you can rent comparable to what you would be paying in Hyde Park or Channeliside. Also, Hyde Park rentals are small because they were built in the 20's and 30's (primarily). Channelside has some newer construction, but it feels a little empty there. Be as close to Howard Avenue as you can. You will be close to I-275 and all of the restaurants and bars that make South Tampa the best residential address in Tampa Bay

Thanks! I wouldnt mind living in a freakin' tent accross from campus, but my wifes tastes are a little more upscale. Are you referring to Bayshore Blvd?

MMLAW

Postby MMLAW » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Yeah, I am referring to Bayshore Blvd. The views are awesome and like I said, if you hunt carefully, the rents are comparable to the other places you mentioned. My girlfriend has expensive tastes too and she loves that I live there.

Are you in the FT or PT program?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:29 pm

I will be in the FT program. I am in cali now and will not be making it to FL until late Summer.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:16 pm

when is Stetson's seat deposit due?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:17 pm

mango26 wrote:when is Stetson's seat deposit due?

April 15th

roguey

Postby roguey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Dear Stetson,

Please disregard the letter I sent this afternoon notifying admissions of my withdrawal due to the inability to afford to attend this fall. Thank you for the envelope containing a full scholarship and $5,000 stipend I found on my porch when I got home from the post office. I really do not wish to withdraw now. Can you help me with that?

THANK YOU!!!
Roguey

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:25 pm

roguey wrote:Dear Stetson,

Please disregard the letter I sent this afternoon notifying admissions of my withdrawal due to the inability to afford to attend this fall. Thank you for the envelope containing a full scholarship and $5,000 stipend I found on my porch when I got home from the post office. I really do not wish to withdraw now. Can you help me with that?

THANK YOU!!!
Roguey

Dear Roguey,

Sorry, but we have already processed your request and awarded said scholarship to GatorTim (the guy with the Lieutenant Martin Riggs 'tar). Good luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Stetson

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”