Stetson 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mango26

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby mango26 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:31 pm

how are you half-scholarship people finding out about your scholarship? via snail mail? i was accepted last week and am hoping for one. 3.3, 163, non-URM...do you think i have a chance?

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:35 pm

mango26 wrote:how are you half-scholarship people finding out about your scholarship? via snail mail? i was accepted last week and am hoping for one. 3.3, 163, non-URM...do you think i have a chance?

Yes Fedex package. I was accepted 1/13 and received my scholarship info on Saturday, so a month later. As far as you having a chance? i am not sure, My LSAT is lower than yours but I am URM, but best of luck to you!

mango26

Postby mango26 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:17 pm

got the half scholarship in the mail today. does anyone know if they offer travel stipend for visits if you received a scholarship? or is it only for full ones?

HenryDavid

Postby HenryDavid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
I have Stetson and UF at 1 and 1A, I feel like it's really a choice between the two now. I'm waiting to see what FSU offers, but I don't think it will be enough to lure (sp?) me to Tallahassee. I applied to Duke, but I'm really just waiting for the ding. I know my numbers aren't strong enough for them. I will be withdrawing from UGA today or tomorrow.

I've got to say, this is exactly what I hoped for 4 years ago when I left a career and returned to school. There was a period some months back that I got caught up in TLS and felt like anything out of the top 14 was failure, but I feel great today knowing that I did exactly what I set out to do. I don't know how to put it into words, but it feels weird that law school is becoming something I'm doing in a few months, rather than "someday."

It feels like only a few months ago that I was prepping for the LSAT...and here I am in week 5 of my second semester of IL. It's crazy. I visited UF and felt Stetson was friendlier and more familial. It feels like a community here, and there is a decent number of late 20's+ students in the full-time program. Many married students, who have children. Not to make it sound like there isn't a young scene here, because there very definitely is a happening social scene.

To all who have received scholarships, congrats - it feels great to be a scholarship student! But there are many non-scholarship students here who are far exceeding my performance, so it's not everything.

harry0569

Postby harry0569 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:42 pm

I was accepted over X-mas Break, and still haven't received any scholarship information. Is it worth a call to the admissions office?

HenryDavid

Postby HenryDavid » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:05 am

shawty18ga wrote:Congrats to those who have received the most recent full schollies. I guess I'll be seeing you all at the scholars retreat :)

I will be at the Scholar Retreat luncheon next Saturday...looking forward to meeting everyone there!

amorfati42

Postby amorfati42 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Status Checker updated to 'Decision made/sent by U.S. mail' today... I have borderline numbers and didn't go complete until a month ago so I'm terrified.

amorfati42

Postby amorfati42 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Waitlisted :( Really bummed, will probably withdraw, good luck to everyone else!

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:15 pm

/
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amorfati42

Postby amorfati42 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:36 pm

3.12/156, non-urm

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:56 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerichogringo

Postby jerichogringo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:04 am

I just got back from the Stetson Scholars Retreat today. Great school!! Great weekend!! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 am

jerichogringo wrote:I just got back from the Stetson Scholars Retreat today. Great school!! Great weekend!! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mind giving us a rundown? Highlights, lowlights, etc?

mango26

Postby mango26 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:24 am

wiggsb wrote:
jerichogringo wrote:I just got back from the Stetson Scholars Retreat today. Great school!! Great weekend!! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mind giving us a rundown? Highlights, lowlights, etc?

+1 i'm curious too

jerichogringo

Postby jerichogringo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:32 am

Sure... Well, the admissions people, as you may well know, are absolutely incredible. They will go above and beyond their duties to help you with everything. The whole campus has this very familial, jovial quality to it that makes law school seem just a little less stressful. From what I met of the faculty, the professors are no less qualified or talented than any of the other top (much higher ranked) schools I have visited. The difference is that they are at Stetson because they love to teach and aren't worried as much with publishing or increasing their own prestige. Both Professor Rose and Bean are absolutely incredible and inspirational. Email them, they will definitely answer any questions you may have. The campus is as gorgeous as it looks in the pictures and the surrounding areas of Gulfport and St. Petersburg are so beautiful. It would be like going to law school at a resort. No doubt the law school is very impressive and they went above and beyond in helping me. Also, their career office is very straightforward, candid and helpful. They work hard and meet with each student in the first semester to start planning for careers. It was a great experience and a very impressive all around school. According to admissions they expect to be climbing the rankings over the next few years as well because of a few key changes they are making. All-around very good school that I would recommend to anyone.

jerichogringo

Postby jerichogringo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:36 am

The real low point for me is that it is still a regional school. While they place well in the central Florida area, it is hard to find work elsewhere. The lady over career services said though, that if you are interested in a specific market, come and talk to her you first day of school and she WILL find alumni in that city and network you into a job. Also, the Dean herself is directly involved in helping place students in clerkships and careers and Professor Dorthea Bean said that she feels that it is her duty not only to teach but also to help her students find employment and continue as a mentor for them throughout their lives. She was awesome. So, while regionality is a low point, Stetson may be one of the few schools that can overcome it because they have such a willing staff and faculty.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:43 am

I’ll pitch in here: I have also returned from the Scholars Retreat. As the above poster mentioned, the admissions staff are among the best I’ve experienced at different schools. The campus itself is incredible. I had the opportunity to stay in the same suite that Justice Clarence Thomas stayed in, which was cool. The weekend was great. Of course it was a very managed experience but I feel they really did a good job at showing the atmosphere of the school, for good and bad. The town of Gulfport looked pretty cool too, nice little restaurants and bars.

Pros: Intimate, beautiful setting. All law school students, no undergraduates. Friendly professors. Dean Darby Dickerson in particular deserves high marks, for being one of the most honest Deans I’ve ever met (and I’ve met Deans from all over the rankings including T14). She was very frank and honest about Stetson, the opportunities, where they are planning to go in the future, etc.

Cons: All law school students, no undergraduates means a campus which may be a bit stressful around exam time. I would worry that the petty conflicts around the school might blow up with the small and intimate environment (I had this experience during my Masters). Professors are very friendly and close with students, however I think that this creates some competition over who are the professors favourites. Also, if you are not close with certain professors you may miss out on certain opportunities --- one professor even said as much, although not in so many words.

All in all, the weekend was a great experience and I am very glad that I went. The atmosphere of only law students will appeal greatly to some, and not so much to others. I’m not sure how I think about it. The mock classes were excellent though, especially the litigation/jury selection class with Charlie Rose. Professor Bean was incredibly inspiring.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 am

jerichogringo wrote:Sure... Well, the admissions people, as you may well know, are absolutely incredible. They will go above and beyond their duties to help you with everything. The whole campus has this very familial, jovial quality to it that makes law school seem just a little less stressful. From what I met of the faculty, the professors are no less qualified or talented than any of the other top (much higher ranked) schools I have visited. The difference is that they are at Stetson because they love to teach and aren't worried as much with publishing or increasing their own prestige. Both Professor Rose and Bean are absolutely incredible and inspirational. Email them, they will definitely answer any questions you may have. The campus is as gorgeous as it looks in the pictures and the surrounding areas of Gulfport and St. Petersburg are so beautiful. It would be like going to law school at a resort. No doubt the law school is very impressive and they went above and beyond in helping me. Also, their career office is very straightforward, candid and helpful. They work hard and meet with each student in the first semester to start planning for careers. It was a great experience and a very impressive all around school. According to admissions they expect to be climbing the rankings over the next few years as well because of a few key changes they are making. All-around very good school that I would recommend to anyone.

I gotta disagree with the bolded. The Tampa area as a whole was okay, but I thought Gulfport and the area around the school were disgusting. That was one of my biggest issues with the school.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:33 am

what was disgusting about it?

mango26

Postby mango26 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Emma1 wrote:what was disgusting about it?

+1

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Maybe I'm just being too picky, but I just didn't like the area. The school seems to be in a trashy neighborhood. The houses are mostly small and ugly, and it just seemed a little shady. It reminded me of some of the south Georgia back streets. That said, the campus itself is really nice, the professors and students were cool, and I'm strongly considering attending.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:30 pm

I was there too. I'd say that Stetson kind of acts as a dividing line between a nicer section of Gulfport (towards the Gulf beach) and a pretty darn rundown section (towards the Bay). I came in from Tampa and was very underwhelmed, but if you came down along the Gulf coastline and came in, it would probably look like paradise. That's just my take.

Rose and Beane were really amazing - Rose is hilarious. The facilities are great and the classrooms and courtrooms were immaculate. I think everything looked a little worse for the ASD group because it was cold, cloudy, pouring rain, and most of the trees were missing leaves (due to the unusually cold winter they've had). Dean Dickerson was amazingly honest and forthright, and even filled us in on the "employed at graduation" stat, which is missing in their USNews profile". She estimated it at 60% the last couple of years and even admitted that their median salary was down. She did note, however, that they were still expecting a 90+% 9-month employment rate for the previous graduating class.

Darren and Laura were, as usual, very helpful and friendly. Plus, the food was very good.

snakemongler84

Postby snakemongler84 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:27 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:I was there too. I'd say that Stetson kind of acts as a dividing line between a nicer section of Gulfport (towards the Gulf beach) and a pretty darn rundown section (towards the Bay). I came in from Tampa and was very underwhelmed, but if you came down along the Gulf coastline and came in, it would probably look like paradise. That's just my take.

/Agree (I live here)

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 pm

I was also at the scholars event, and I agree it was pretty good. As for Gulfport, it does have the feeling of a run-down beach community. That being said, there are plenty of gorgeous places to live within 10-15 minutes. With the small community I'm not so sure I want to live right by campus anyway. I look to be involved on campus, but I think having everything there law school related it will be nice to have the option of checking out when you want, rather than walking across the street and living next to all of your classmates.

I agree with everthing that's been posted in regards to the staff. There is a very genuine sense of care and concern from the faculty, and I think it's true that their goal from day one is to get each student where they want to be career wise. The campus is amazing and its close proximity to St Pete beaches can't be beat.

safoamerica1

Postby safoamerica1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:13 pm

My status checker changed to:

Decision Status: Decision made/sent by U.S. mail
Decision Status Date: 3/3/2010

I did not receive any e-mails or a call form admissions like many other ppl did. Does this mean WL/reject?
I still have not gotten the decision in the mail.
Thanks

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”