Stetson 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Onion

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby Onion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:11 pm

I have got few offers from some higher ranked schools, but I am still hung up on Stetson for some reason... Hopefully they make an offer I can't refuse!

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm

If havent been to the area (Tampa/St. Pete), it's not too bad of a place to spend 3 years and perhaps practice a little law afterwards. I really want Stetson, but the reality of leaving the OC and going back to FL is starting to hit me like a sack-o-rocks.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:22 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I just got the e-mail about 5 minutes ago....does that mean we are in? Shit...I might have to actually leave SoCal

i just went Decision made/mailed today too...and got that email. Do you all think I have any chance for scholarships still, or are they all gone?? (non-URM, 3.3, 163)

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 pm

Onion wrote:I have got few offers from some higher ranked schools, but I am still hung up on Stetson for some reason... Hopefully they make an offer I can't refuse!

I was pretty disappointed, I have a $14K scholly form a top 30 school(public, so that amounts to a lot) and got offered absolutely zip from Stetson. I guess they are just stating that they are not that interested in me. Too bad, I have lots of family in the area, had they made it intersting we would have seriously considered it.

Onion

Postby Onion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:37 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
Onion wrote:I have got few offers from some higher ranked schools, but I am still hung up on Stetson for some reason... Hopefully they make an offer I can't refuse!

I was pretty disappointed, I have a $14K scholly form a top 30 school(public, so that amounts to a lot) and got offered absolutely zip from Stetson. I guess they are just stating that they are not that interested in me. Too bad, I have lots of family in the area, had they made it intersting we would have seriously considered it.

I'm finding that it is very difficult to find any rhyme or reason to my schollys, great offers from high T2 schools, but lower T2 and some T3 offer nothing... maybe I just applied too late (last week of dec).

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Onion wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:

I'm finding that it is very difficult to find any rhyme or reason to my schollys, great offers from high T2 schools, but lower T2 and some T3 offer nothing... maybe I just applied too late (last week of dec).

I think Steston just figured they were my "safe" school and didn't want to offer anything.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:51 pm

what would really suck is if "that" advocacy e-mail was just some default mailing that is sent once an applicants status has changed to "decision mailed"....prior to TLS I was an optimistic person

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Onion wrote: maybe I just applied too late (last week of dec).

From what I understand at Stetson, there is still another round of schollys to come out. They had a selection meeting in December that you and I barely missed, but they are supposed to have another soon.

Don't chisel that in rock or anything, but I do think there is still hope.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
Onion wrote: maybe I just applied too late (last week of dec).

From what I understand at Stetson, there is still another round of schollys to come out. They had a selection meeting in December that you and I barely missed, but they are supposed to have another soon.

Don't chisel that in rock or anything, but I do think there is still hope.

i hope so!!

snakemongler84

Postby snakemongler84 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:22 pm

From personal experience (last year), you might consider what you actually want to do with your JD when determining if a scholarship offer will "make or break" a school for you. I really got a good vibe from Stetson early on and I thought their main programs aligned well with my own goals. During the cycle, I got pretty hung-up on the fact that they had not offered me any $. I almost counted them out because of this - like some of you are mentioning the feeling of your own "worth" rankings-wise and what not.

I am extremely glad I chose to set aside these feelings, and go with the school that just felt right instead of following the rankings or "best offer" model of decision-making. You'll notice when you're in law school that everyone (in one way or many) exhibits and exerts some group-think/pressure to conform tendencies (ex: signing up for expensive bar-prep courses 3 years in advance, various study habits/techniques). If you fall into this well-trodden path/mindset before you even start, imagine how hard it will be to do otherwise when you're in the game. From limited experience, the "flock" make up most of the middle-of-the-pack gradewise as well.

On the other hand (and back to my initial point), I can say I threw my own scholarship cares to the wind because I was/am okay with accumulating massive government debt. I am okay because I plan to do IBR + CCRAA and have the balance of my loans (however large) wiped clean after 10 years of public service. If you don't plan on doing something like this, debt should be much more of a concern for you. Also, if you are the stress/anxiety prone type, having to maintain a certain GPA can make things harder. Just my two cents. Good luck to those of you waiting on decisions.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Got the Decision Mailed and the "Advocacy" email today as well. Gosh, I hate being in the slow-mail capital of the world, North Dakota. I don't think I've ever seen a piece of mail in less than a week from its mailing date.

I'm also really drawn to Stetson despite having T20 numbers. I still have a lot of cycle left to go, but I'm pretty excited about this piece of mail!

bjball500

Postby bjball500 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Congrats on the schooly Emma I will see you at the scholars retreat.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:04 am

I visited the school yesterday and they informed me that they will be sending out another round of scholarship decisions relatively shortly and that there should be two more rounds of scholarship offers after that ( I am very excited because they informed me of how much money I have been recommended for and will probably get and I am totally excited!)

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 am

horriblegb wrote:I visited the school yesterday and they informed me that they will be sending out another round of scholarship decisions relatively shortly and that there should be two more rounds of scholarship offers after that ( I am very excited because they informed me of how much money I have been recommended for and will probably get and I am totally excited!)

Congrats to you and thanks for the info.... Like I said, something about Stetson is very appealing to me. Going to visit at the end of the month so long as it is an acceptance in the mail, the email I received suggests it is!

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:13 am

Onion wrote:
horriblegb wrote:I visited the school yesterday and they informed me that they will be sending out another round of scholarship decisions relatively shortly and that there should be two more rounds of scholarship offers after that ( I am very excited because they informed me of how much money I have been recommended for and will probably get and I am totally excited!)

Congrats to you and thanks for the info.... Like I said, something about Stetson is very appealing to me. Going to visit at the end of the month so long as it is an acceptance in the mail, the email I received suggests it is!

I really liked it a lot, actually, far better then UM, while I was expecting the opposite to happen. We will see how the rest of the visits go, but it wouldn't be easy at all to turn down that place!

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:31 pm

I recieved the admitted students chat email the same day my status changed to desicion mailed. 159 3.54 do I have any chance at a scholarship?

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:01 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:I recieved the admitted students chat email the same day my status changed to desicion mailed. 159 3.54 do I have any chance at a scholarship?

161 3.55, 1st Generation. I haven't get any $ from Stetson.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm totally jealous. I'm going to have to schedule a visit next week just to press for this info! LOL

I've talked extensively with Darren, I think I may email him and ask if a LOCI would help sway a scholarship offer. My numbers are in their full ride category, he told me that himself, and if they made that offer my cycle would end. I fell in love with their campus, the vibe just feels right and I am comfortable with living my life in the Tampa-St. Pete-Sarasota beltway.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm

baboon309 wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:I recieved the admitted students chat email the same day my status changed to desicion mailed. 159 3.54 do I have any chance at a scholarship?

161 3.55, 1st Generation. I haven't get any $ from Stetson.

When did you apply/when were you admitted? Their first round of scholarships cut off around the third week of December. FWIW, very few people that I've talked to recieved their offers with their acceptance packages.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:06 pm

Anyone bringing a spouse, boyfriend/ girfriend or parent with them to Scholars weekend? Looks like there are no activities scheduled for others.

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Emma1 wrote:Anyone bringing a spouse, boyfriend/ girfriend or parent with them to Scholars weekend? Looks like there are no activities scheduled for others.

My girlfriend might be coming. She's not totally sure if she wants to skip class on Friday yet, though. I told her it looks like she should just bring some homework and/or go chill at the beach all day.

roguey

Postby roguey » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:51 pm

I've applied as well, and I'm just waiting... Hopefully there is a second round of scholarship opportunities. I have family and Tampa, and Gulfport looks awesome. I applied on 1/16 and my stats are 3.66/164. A full tuition scholarship plus stipend would make my decision sooo much easier.

mlewis87

Postby mlewis87 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Got the packet in the mail today, accepted. Went Decision sent on 2/3/2010. Does scholarship info come separate? Good Luck to all.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:02 pm

mlewis87 wrote:Got the packet in the mail today, accepted. Went Decision sent on 2/3/2010. Does scholarship info come separate? Good Luck to all.

Yes

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:30 pm

In today!! I'm certainly pumped about this one as Stetson is #1 or #1a on my list. Only bad thing is that I have to leave SoCal.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”