Stetson 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mango26

Re: Stetson 2010

Postby mango26 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:51 pm

just got the application complete email. hope i'm not too late for scholarships.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:53 pm

Got the big package today; in.

157/~3.00

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:17 pm

deadpanic wrote:Got the big package today; in.

157/~3.00

When did you apply?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:22 pm

Around the first of November. It seemed like I was under review a lot longer than others that applied around the same time. I guess because of my borderline numbers.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:24 pm

157/~3.00

congrats!! This post definitely gives me newfound hope

gpontoni

Postby gpontoni » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:22 pm

hmmm...Stetson with no scholarship or FIU with 1/2 scholarship? Tampa or Miami? $100K in debt, or $20K in debt? I do love the Gulf coast however. Decisions decisions...

HenryDavid

Postby HenryDavid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Emma1 wrote:Is there a scholars weekend coming up this year?

Yes, there will be a Scholar Retreat again this year. Last year's was one of the biggest reasons I decided to attend. Darren and Laura are awesome, and I have maintained friendships with over a dozen other Scholar Retreat attendees who ended up here. Super-friendly student body...grades coming and going provided opportunity for friendly rivalry, not competitive douchebaggery. At least not among the 100 or so 1Ls that I know.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 pm

gpontoni wrote:hmmm...Stetson with no scholarship or FIU with 1/2 scholarship? Tampa or Miami? $100K in debt, or $20K in debt? I do love the Gulf coast however. Decisions decisions...

I applied to both too gpontoni, but havent heard from either regarding decisions. If you don't mind what are your stats (you can PM me...or completely ignore :)

I don't know what I would do in your shoes. Gulf coast is nice and Stetson prob places better in Central Florida than does FIU in South Florida when factoring in competition from Miami. Congrats either way!

edit: nevermind I saw your stats from your earlier post in this thread....
Last edited by GATORTIM on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:23 pm

shawty18ga wrote:So my scholly comes with a top 40% requirement which scares the hell out of me. Does anybody know if Stetson stacks sections? Also, does anybody know what gpa top 40% would equate to? Thanks.

Anyone have any comment on this? I'm not 100% on what section stacking is but as I understand it may make it difficult to keep scholarship for everyone --- are these GPA requirements top 40% of the whole student body or just your specific section? It makes me a bit nervous too although I feel if I'm not in the top 40% I will be disappointed in myself and may review my ability to continue at law school.

HenryDavid

Postby HenryDavid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:49 pm

tjeffery wrote:
shawty18ga wrote:So my scholly comes with a top 40% requirement which scares the hell out of me. Does anybody know if Stetson stacks sections? Also, does anybody know what gpa top 40% would equate to? Thanks.

Anyone have any comment on this? I'm not 100% on what section stacking is but as I understand it may make it difficult to keep scholarship for everyone --- are these GPA requirements top 40% of the whole student body or just your specific section? It makes me a bit nervous too although I feel if I'm not in the top 40% I will be disappointed in myself and may review my ability to continue at law school.

Top 40% in total 1L class was my stipulation last year. My Fall '09 class had a pretty even distribution of scholarship students between the sections, as far as I could tell. I don't think ANY school with scholarship requirements has EVERYONE keep them the entire time, but you might inquire also about Stetson's probation policy for scholarship students who fall below the 40% after 1L. Don't know if they offer it to the incoming students this year, but they have in the past...

Anyone, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

FWIW, I managed to stay comfortably in Top 40% so far after 1st semester...

gpontoni

Postby gpontoni » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:46 pm

I know...I'm caught. Both are regional schools, so going to either one will dictate where you ultimately are located for atleast the first few years of your legal career. I personally like the Gulf Coast better as it's much more laid back and family oriented. However, I feel there will probably be more opportunity in the Miami area to not only get a job, but start at a higher salary. However, Stetson will probably place better on the west coast region than FIU will on the east coast. But...Stetson is much more expensive. I guess I'll just have to wait for the FAFSFA results before I decide.

bjball500

Postby bjball500 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 am

Henry,

It is great to hear that you choose Stetson. Are you overall pretty happy with the decision with your numbers I am sure you could go about anywhere that you wanted. I know you are not that far in yet, but what do the job prospect and internship opportunities look like after the first year.
Thanks.

HenryDavid

Postby HenryDavid » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:48 pm

bjball500 wrote:Henry,

It is great to hear that you choose Stetson. Are you overall pretty happy with the decision with your numbers I am sure you could go about anywhere that you wanted. I know you are not that far in yet, but what do the job prospect and internship opportunities look like after the first year.
Thanks.

The highest "ranked" school to which I was accepted was USC. To be frank, some days I wish I would have chosen that route. Job prospects, alumni connections and prestige factor are certainly higher there. However, as Tampa/St. Pete is a major metro area, there are a lot of exciting positions available. UF competes very heavily in this market. FSU does, to a degree. Stetson's presence as the only law school physically located in the area allows for a much different system than most schools in job placement. Stetson students really develop personal relationships with professionals in the area, through the extensive internship/clinic programs and the high number of professionals working as adjuncts here.

Whether a particular school will work for an individual is such a tricky thing to determine. Perhaps Stetson has 3x the internships available of another school you are looking at. However, they may not be in an area you like. Or the student body may self-select in a way that makes the internships in your preferred area extremely competitive. Grades make a big difference here, just as they do anywhere else.

At the end of the day, Stetson is the only school located within 100 miles or so of a major metropolitan area. It is located in a region that has many specialized needs (high concentration of elder population, maritime/international, environmental, tourism) and a relatively diverse population. It has several high specialty rankings, extremely successful moot court teams and a beautiful campus. There are not a whole lot of schools that have such resumes.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Last edited by Emma1 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amorfati42

Postby amorfati42 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:53 am

157/~3.00

I have very similar numbers so this is encouraging to hear, congrats!

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:14 am

I'm definitely going to the Scholars Retreat. I'm excited.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:19 pm

I didn't get the letter yet, but had a verbal invitation with letter to follow, plane already booked.

dmoni09

Postby dmoni09 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:04 am

I will definitely be in attendance as well!

smartin

Postby smartin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Status checker changed to "Decision made." Does scholarship info come with the letter? And is the scholars retreat only for those offered full rides?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:10 pm

"Decision Made"...may God have mercy on my poor mailbox

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:21 pm

Pretty sure you're in, Tim.

Onion

Postby Onion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:25 pm

Decision Made... oh god.

Onion

Postby Onion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Did anyone else just get this email? Safe to assume I am in?

Online Chat Invitation: Advocacy at Stetson Law

Stetson University College of Law?s Office of Admissions is hosting an online chat Tuesday, February 9, 2010 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST. The chat is entitled, "Advocacy at Stetson Law." All admitted full time and part time fall 2010 students are invited to attend.

For over a decade, Stetson Law has dominated the rankings of U.S. News and World Report as the number one law school in the country for Advocacy. Stetson Law is very proud of this recognition and we continue to work hard to sustain this longtime achievement. The skills training you will receive in advocacy are the cornerstone of a solid Stetson Law legal education because of its far-reaching applications in the legal field. When you think about it, we are always advocating in all facets of our lives. Consider joining us and talk to the best in the industry.

Furthermore, Stetson Law offers one of its three areas of concentration opportunities in Advocacy.

Many Stetson law students choose to participate on our Moot Court and Trial teams, who consistently rank as some of the top teams in the nation. We are proud of this accomplishment.

Stetson Law?s Advocacy professors as well as members of Stetson Law?s Moot Court, Trial teams and ADR teams will be joining us in the chat to answer all of your detailed questions. The chat should be fun and informative as you explore advocacy at Stetson Law and make decisions about where you will ultimately attend law school for fall 2010.

Please access the chat by clicking on the admissions link: Stetson Law Advocacy Chat Link. Then click on the appropriate chat link under Online Chat Sessions. Please contact me if you have any problems signing into the chat.

We hope that you will join us.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

smartin

Postby smartin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Onion wrote:Did anyone else just get this email? Safe to assume I am in?

Online Chat Invitation: Advocacy at Stetson Law

Stetson University College of Law?s Office of Admissions is hosting an online chat Tuesday, February 9, 2010 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST. The chat is entitled, "Advocacy at Stetson Law." All admitted full time and part time fall 2010 students are invited to attend.

For over a decade, Stetson Law has dominated the rankings of U.S. News and World Report as the number one law school in the country for Advocacy. Stetson Law is very proud of this recognition and we continue to work hard to sustain this longtime achievement. The skills training you will receive in advocacy are the cornerstone of a solid Stetson Law legal education because of its far-reaching applications in the legal field. When you think about it, we are always advocating in all facets of our lives. Consider joining us and talk to the best in the industry.

Furthermore, Stetson Law offers one of its three areas of concentration opportunities in Advocacy.

Many Stetson law students choose to participate on our Moot Court and Trial teams, who consistently rank as some of the top teams in the nation. We are proud of this accomplishment.

Stetson Law?s Advocacy professors as well as members of Stetson Law?s Moot Court, Trial teams and ADR teams will be joining us in the chat to answer all of your detailed questions. The chat should be fun and informative as you explore advocacy at Stetson Law and make decisions about where you will ultimately attend law school for fall 2010.

Please access the chat by clicking on the admissions link: Stetson Law Advocacy Chat Link. Then click on the appropriate chat link under Online Chat Sessions. Please contact me if you have any problems signing into the chat.

We hope that you will join us.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think that's what it means!

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:03 pm

I just got the e-mail about 5 minutes ago....does that mean we are in? Shit...I might have to actually leave SoCal

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”