Stetson 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bulls

New

Re: Stetson 2010

Post by Bulls » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:30 am

Congrats, dude. So, no June LSAT re-take then?[/quote]

Ha, probably not. I really need to get this show on the road and although the in-state tuition at UF or FSU (vomits in mouth) is appealing, I need to go to school in a larger market so my wife can transfer her job. I think she would have a difficult time finding employment in Gainesville outside of working a beer tub a the Swamp or Grog House. I've done a lot of reasearch on Stetson and I feel their location in placement in the Tampa Bay area (a place neither of us would mind calling "home") somewhat mitigates any shortcomings in prestige or rankings.

are you re-taking in June? is Stetson still in the running?[/quote]

Stetson is #1 right now, and I'm completely undecided on re-taking. Half of me knows that I can break the 170 barrier and the other half knows I don't won't to bother with all of the time and pressure of preparing, only to be forced to take a year off at the age of 31.

I'm going to sit in on a class tomorrow at UF and attending their ASD on Friday. Next week I visit FSU and then it's decision time. Like you, I'm perfectly happy building a life in Tampa/St Pete, so it really comes down to where I will be happiest. I'm feeling more and more like Stetson will be that place.[/quote]

I absolutely hate Tampa/ St. Pete. I'm a UCF graduate who moved to St. Pete after graduation, and I hate living here. Stetson does have a nice campus though; however, that won't be enough to make me live here forever. I was accepted to Stetson last month and unfortunately withdrew. Good luck to everyone![/quote]

I've lived in the area my whole life and I say that I hate Tampa but love St. Pete. Definitely different vibes in each town

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:24 am

Bulls wrote: I've lived in the area my whole life and I say that I hate Tampa but love St. Pete. Definitely different vibes in each town
I agree with this. The vibe in St. Pete is much better and more relaxed. Although, I have to admit, I do love Ybor. I kind of like Davis Island, too. There's a really good bar there and some decent restaurants.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:30 am

deadpanic wrote:
as stars burn wrote:I absolutely hate Tampa/ St. Pete. I'm a UCF graduate who moved to St. Pete after graduation, and I hate living here. Stetson does have a nice campus though; however, that won't be enough to make me live here forever. I was accepted to Stetson last month and unfortunately withdrew. Good luck to everyone!
What exactly do you dislike about it?

I've already withdrawn, but just curious.
Well, for starters Tampa has one of the highest unemployment rates in Florida, it is too damn hot here in the summer around July and August...and I'm talking near suffocation. In fact, my poor car's interior is completely cracked because of the constant expanding and contracting due to the heat (being from Orlando, the 2-hour drive south definitely made a difference in temperature), there is nothing to do here aside from go to the beach or movies, you can't really walk anywhere so a car is a must, there seem to be more bad parts of St. Pete and Tampa than there are good and lastly, it's not a great area for young professionals. It's more of a retirement area to me...I searched for almost a year for a job here and while I am working, it's nowhere near my field. I'm looking forward to leaving in August. By the way, this is nothing against Stetson...they place well here but be prepared to live here forever.

But I agree with above posts...there are different vibes, but I'm just not a fan of either.

houli13

New

Post by houli13 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54 am

I love the area. Having lived in Orlando and north central Florida (and scattered places all over the US), I actually prefer the weather of the gulf. I love being able to get up early and enjoy the ocean air as I go for a run before the heat and humidity of the day set in. Also, having the beach and theme parks close by are awesome. There is never a shortage of things to do, no matter what your interests are. Just my $.02.

MMLAW

New

Post by MMLAW » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:14 pm

I think that as far as Florida is concerned, the Tampa Bay area has the most to offer for young professionals. Obviously, the climate is nice, and there are no shortage of sporting events and entertainment venues to frequent, but also, there is an educated class of people between 24-45 years of age that other cities in Florida do not have. In particular, South Tampa has alot going on. The immediate coastal areas in Tampa Bay are going to primarily consist of upper middle class Baby Boomers and retirees, so if you live in St. Pete or Largo, the demographics are what they are. The nice thing about living in South Tampa is that you have a younger demographic to socialize with and a decent urban core containing cultural activities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:38 pm

as stars burn wrote: Well, for starters Tampa has one of the highest unemployment rates in Florida
Any major metropolitian area is going to have one of the highest unemployment rates in its respective state.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:50 pm

MMLAW wrote:I think that as far as Florida is concerned, the Tampa Bay area has the most to offer for young professionals. Obviously, the climate is nice, and there are no shortage of sporting events and entertainment venues to frequent, but also, there is an educated class of people between 24-45 years of age that other cities in Florida do not have. In particular, South Tampa has alot going on. The immediate coastal areas in Tampa Bay are going to primarily consist of upper middle class Baby Boomers and retirees, so if you live in St. Pete or Largo, the demographics are what they are. The nice thing about living in South Tampa is that you have a younger demographic to socialize with and a decent urban core containing cultural activities.
decent cultural activities? seriously? Check out Boston or Chicago. That's what Florida in general lacks the most (save for St. Augustine). Boston and Chicago are full of culture and history...maybe that's why I don't like it here. It's too modernized here, there's no pretty architecture, no nothing, really except the pretty beaches. I've lived in Florida most of my life (used to live in Pennsylvania) and I'm ready to leave. It's way too hot here btw. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It's just not for everyone.

MMLAW

New

Post by MMLAW » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:32 pm

as stars burn wrote:
MMLAW wrote:I think that as far as Florida is concerned, the Tampa Bay area has the most to offer for young professionals. Obviously, the climate is nice, and there are no shortage of sporting events and entertainment venues to frequent, but also, there is an educated class of people between 24-45 years of age that other cities in Florida do not have. In particular, South Tampa has alot going on. The immediate coastal areas in Tampa Bay are going to primarily consist of upper middle class Baby Boomers and retirees, so if you live in St. Pete or Largo, the demographics are what they are. The nice thing about living in South Tampa is that you have a younger demographic to socialize with and a decent urban core containing cultural activities.
decent cultural activities? seriously? Check out Boston or Chicago. That's what Florida in general lacks the most (save for St. Augustine). Boston and Chicago are full of culture and history...maybe that's why I don't like it here. It's too modernized here, there's no pretty architecture, no nothing, really except the pretty beaches. I've lived in Florida most of my life (used to live in Pennsylvania) and I'm ready to leave. It's way too hot here btw. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It's just not for everyone.

Notice that I prefaced my comments with "as far as Florida is concerned". I am from New England and I don't try to compare Tampa to any major metropolitan city in the North East, or in your case, the Mid West. I enjoy New York City more than the cities you mentioned, but if current professional and educational opportunities have me in Tampa, I am going to make the most of it and be resourceful.

MMLAW

New

Post by MMLAW » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Has anyone heard when the next round of acceptance letters will be sent out? Since the deadline has been extended to April 1st, will they be waiting until then and doing a final round?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gpontoni

New

Post by gpontoni » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Anyone have any insight as to how difficult it is to transfer law schools after your 1L year? Is the school you transfer to going to be primarily concerened with your 1L performance/strength of school or with LSAT/undergrad GPA? I did not get accepted to UF (which was my top choice) but am currently accepted at FIU, Stetson and FAMU. I live/own a house in Orlando, and FAMU is offering me a full ride. From all I've heard, FAMU is a terrible law school, however the difference between FAMU and Stetson is going to be over $100,000 for me. FIU is out of the question, I visited yesterday, and although it might be a great opportunity if I were currently living in Miami, the strength of school and location is not worth the sacrafice it would be to relocate my life. My thought is, start my 1L year at FAMU, see if I can land in the top 5% then try to transfer to UF or maybe Stetson, saving me thousands. At a worst case, I can't transfer but get a law degree for basically free here in Orlando. There's always the JAG corp :) I would love to go to Setson, but damn...I just don't feel it's smart to go that far in debt.

Jaggles

New

Post by Jaggles » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:10 pm

as stars burn wrote:
Given your opinions, I am quite sure you won't be missed. St. Augustine? Are you kidding me?

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Jaggles wrote:
as stars burn wrote:
Given your opinions, I am quite sure you won't be missed. St. Augustine? Are you kidding me?

Easy killer. Not everyone has to like the same thing. I'm sure there are people that will defend the midwest to the bitter end, but I would never live there.

St. Augustine is nice, especially if history and architecture is what you're interested in. Personally, I wouldn't live there, but it's still nice.

Jaggles

New

Post by Jaggles » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
Jaggles wrote:
as stars burn wrote:

Easy killer. Not everyone has to like the same thing. I'm sure there are people that will defend the midwest to the bitter end, but I would never live there.

St. Augustine is nice, especially if history and architecture is what you're interested in. Personally, I wouldn't live there, but it's still nice.
Exactly my point. You don't have to like it but bashing it is totally unnecessary.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:42 pm

gpontoni wrote:Anyone have any insight as to how difficult it is to transfer law schools after your 1L year? Is the school you transfer to going to be primarily concerened with your 1L performance/strength of school or with LSAT/undergrad GPA? I did not get accepted to UF (which was my top choice) but am currently accepted at FIU, Stetson and FAMU. I live/own a house in Orlando, and FAMU is offering me a full ride. From all I've heard, FAMU is a terrible law school, however the difference between FAMU and Stetson is going to be over $100,000 for me. FIU is out of the question, I visited yesterday, and although it might be a great opportunity if I were currently living in Miami, the strength of school and location is not worth the sacrafice it would be to relocate my life. My thought is, start my 1L year at FAMU, see if I can land in the top 5% then try to transfer to UF or maybe Stetson, saving me thousands. At a worst case, I can't transfer but get a law degree for basically free here in Orlando. There's always the JAG corp :) I would love to go to Setson, but damn...I just don't feel it's smart to go that far in debt.
It's generally not a good idea to go somewhere with the hope of transfering, from the wisdom I have read on here. Go to Stetson. FAMU is terrible. The difference in debt is negligible if you can't get a job at all.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:28 pm

JCougar wrote:
gpontoni wrote:Anyone have any insight as to how difficult it is to transfer law schools after your 1L year? Is the school you transfer to going to be primarily concerened with your 1L performance/strength of school or with LSAT/undergrad GPA? I did not get accepted to UF (which was my top choice) but am currently accepted at FIU, Stetson and FAMU. I live/own a house in Orlando, and FAMU is offering me a full ride. From all I've heard, FAMU is a terrible law school, however the difference between FAMU and Stetson is going to be over $100,000 for me. FIU is out of the question, I visited yesterday, and although it might be a great opportunity if I were currently living in Miami, the strength of school and location is not worth the sacrafice it would be to relocate my life. My thought is, start my 1L year at FAMU, see if I can land in the top 5% then try to transfer to UF or maybe Stetson, saving me thousands. At a worst case, I can't transfer but get a law degree for basically free here in Orlando. There's always the JAG corp :) I would love to go to Setson, but damn...I just don't feel it's smart to go that far in debt.
It's generally not a good idea to go somewhere with the hope of transfering, from the wisdom I have read on here. Go to Stetson. FAMU is terrible. The difference in debt is negligible if you can't get a job at all.
+1

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:08 am

The rule is never go to school that you HAVE to transfer out of. FAMU and Stetson are like comparing night and day. FAMU is a horrible school that will win you little respect and even less job oppourtunities. Stetson grads tend to do very well in the Orlando/Tampa area. I work for a law firm in downtown Tampa and Stetson graduates do very well at my law firm and several of the law firms I interact with daily. To me, it wouldn't be a choice between Stetson and FAMU. Also, I heard FAMU is similiar to Florida Coastal in their full scholarship policy, where many of the new 1L's come with schollys. They place all the scholly recipients in one class. To maintain your scholarship you need to remain in the top 40 of your class which would automaticially boot 60 percent out of their full ride. Not saying you'd lose it but I personally would not want to go to a school that's so dishonest.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:17 am

GATORTIM wrote:
as stars burn wrote: Well, for starters Tampa has one of the highest unemployment rates in Florida
Any major metropolitian area is going to have one of the highest unemployment rates in its respective state.
Actually unemployment rates tend to rise in primarily rural areas. Counties with comparably high unemployment rates that are heavily populated should raise red flags even in this economy.

Besides, if you did invest in that logic, you would probably be suprised to read a March 10 article in the Orlando Sentinel that reports the Tampa/St. Pete unemployment rate significantly higher than that of Miami's (For the record, Miami's jobless rate was below the state average).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gpontoni

New

Post by gpontoni » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks everyone for the insight. Anyone else footing the entire Stetson bill on their own? Any concerns out there about the $150,000 K of debt? I estimate that much after cost of living included.

56ace

New

Post by 56ace » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:15 pm

trialjunky wrote:
The rule is never go to school that you HAVE to transfer out of. FAMU and Stetson are like comparing night and day. FAMU is a horrible school that will win you little respect and even less job oppourtunities. Stetson grads tend to do very well in the Orlando/Tampa area. I work for a law firm in downtown Tampa and Stetson graduates do very well at my law firm and several of the law firms I interact with daily. To me, it wouldn't be a choice between Stetson and FAMU. Also, I heard FAMU is similiar to Florida Coastal in their full scholarship policy, where many of the new 1L's come with schollys. They place all the scholly recipients in one class. To maintain your scholarship you need to remain in the top 40 of your class which would automaticially boot 60 percent out of their full ride. Not saying you'd lose it but I personally would not want to go to a school that's so dishonest.
Also, I would not bank on JAG. It's not like you sign up and are good to go, it's very competitive these days.

mlewis87

New

Post by mlewis87 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:30 pm

If anyone sits in on a class at Stetson, see if you can sit in on Mr. Virelli's Constitutional Law Class. Mr. Virelli is an awesome professor. I sat in on a Constitutional Law Class @ UF and then @ Stetson with Mr. Virelli, and I must say, in this instance, Mr. Virelli did a better job. I am sure this isn't the case with all professors, comparing UF to Stetson. Just a little extra info. :D

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:47 pm

gpontoni wrote:Thanks everyone for the insight. Anyone else footing the entire Stetson bill on their own? Any concerns out there about the $150,000 K of debt? I estimate that much after cost of living included.
me...yes, I'm concerned about the debt, but some of that is COL which you would be out of pocket for anyway and the rest (90k+ in tuition, barring any 2L scholarship) is a hell of a lot better investment than a Porshe

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MMLAW

New

Post by MMLAW » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:54 am

GATORTIM wrote:
gpontoni wrote:Thanks everyone for the insight. Anyone else footing the entire Stetson bill on their own? Any concerns out there about the $150,000 K of debt? I estimate that much after cost of living included.
me...yes, I'm concerned about the debt, but some of that is COL which you would be out of pocket for anyway and the rest (90k+ in tuition, barring any 2L scholarship) is a hell of a lot better investment than a Porshe

You have to factor in compounding interest when you are rationalizing the COL piece. It is a relatively large component of your overall payback.

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:08 am

I'm going through a really bad cycle (see my profile for #'s and decisions received). After doing some thinking and reading up on some schools, I decided I need to consider applying to some tier 3 schools in case I really don't end up getting accepted to any of the schools where I applied.

I'm really interested in Stetson now. Considering my numbers and also considering how late it is in the admission process, what do you think my chances are? How long have they been taking to issue decisions and update applicant statuses?

Thanks.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:23 am

ChattTNdt wrote:I'm going through a really bad cycle (see my profile for #'s and decisions received). After doing some thinking and reading up on some schools, I decided I need to consider applying to some tier 3 schools in case I really don't end up getting accepted to any of the schools where I applied.

I'm really interested in Stetson now. Considering my numbers and also considering how late it is in the admission process, what do you think my chances are? How long have they been taking to issue decisions and update applicant statuses?

Thanks.
YOu've got a great shot at Stetson and I'd guess you might get some money, though your GPA obviously hurts you in the latter regard. Id say you have a chance at a half scholarship. It looks like you want to stay in the vicinity of Florida, and as such, Stetson is a great choice.

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:03 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:I'm going through a really bad cycle (see my profile for #'s and decisions received). After doing some thinking and reading up on some schools, I decided I need to consider applying to some tier 3 schools in case I really don't end up getting accepted to any of the schools where I applied.

Thanks.
YOu've got a great shot at Stetson and I'd guess you might get some money, though your GPA obviously hurts you in the latter regard. Id say you have a chance at a half scholarship. It looks like you want to stay in the vicinity of Florida, and as such, Stetson is a great choice.

Cool, thanks. I'll send an app to Stetson, and ride out these waitlists at my other schools. The decision I'm likely going to be faced with is- go to Stetson or wait until next year, retake the LSAT in June, and apply as soon as 2011 applications are made available.

I really like what I've heard about Stetson so far, but I really don't want to sell myself short. I went from a 158 in September to a 165 in December, only studying about 4-5 total hours in that three month period and going though personal life circumstances that were out of my control, but are straightened out now. If I put my mind to it, and actually prepare this time, I don't think anything can stop me from breaking 170.

It is such a hard decision. I don't know if I can stand another year serving coffee :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”