Colorado 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
traehekat

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:05 pm

Veritas wrote:
traehekat wrote:Just checked the mail, IN!!!!!!!!!

Really excited, I've been really interested in CU ever since I first started looking at law schools a few years ago. Hopefully they will throw a little bit of money my way. How long is it typically between receiving the acceptance package and receiving scholarship information? Couple weeks?

congrats!!

ty ty :D

JasonCG

Postby JasonCG » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:42 am

Sorry, placed in wrong thread

aleighp

Postby aleighp » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:31 am

I got my wait listed letter on 2/24. I'm in-state/local, but my LSAT score is rubbish. Hoping that I can somehow manage to get off the wait list & be accepted, as Boulder is my #1. I sent in my LOCI last week.

leftieash

Postby leftieash » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:41 am

Really excited, I've been really interested in CU ever since I first started looking at law schools a few years ago. Hopefully they will throw a little bit of money my way. How long is it typically between receiving the acceptance package and receiving scholarship information? Couple weeks?

Congrats!

I'm not a great indication since I was accepted in Decemberish and just got the scholarship info a few weeks ago (I think they have all of their ducks in a row at this point by way of money, so it'll probably be much quicker). I did just receive an email from them (which I'm assuming you'll also be getting soon) saying that merit scholarships are going out on a "rolling basis." Hope that helps.

lonestar

Postby lonestar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Called CU yesterday to let them know that seat deposits are coming due, and I don't want the fact that I have to put down a deposit on April 1 to preclude me from being admitted. To which they responded, "Your decision will be mailed out Friday." Nervous...but traehekat's news gives me hope.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:26 pm

leftieash wrote:

Congrats!

I'm not a great indication since I was accepted in Decemberish and just got the scholarship info a few weeks ago (I think they have all of their ducks in a row at this point by way of money, so it'll probably be much quicker). I did just receive an email from them (which I'm assuming you'll also be getting soon) saying that merit scholarships are going out on a "rolling basis." Hope that helps.

Thanks! I really hope they can throw a little my way, but in the event they can't the fact that residency is so easy to gain still leaves CU as an attractive choice.

lonestar wrote:Called CU yesterday to let them know that seat deposits are coming due, and I don't want the fact that I have to put down a deposit on April 1 to preclude me from being admitted. To which they responded, "Your decision will be mailed out Friday." Nervous...but traehekat's news gives me hope.

Hope you hear some good news!

JTX

Postby JTX » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:49 pm

lonestar wrote:Called CU yesterday to let them know that seat deposits are coming due, and I don't want the fact that I have to put down a deposit on April 1 to preclude me from being admitted. To which they responded, "Your decision will be mailed out Friday." Nervous...but traehekat's news gives me hope.

if i hadn't already talked to lonestar, I'd think we're getting trolled hard. when did yall submit? I'll go back ITT and check.

btw, are seat deposits really due 1 April??

from catalog: Applicants are notified by letter of decisions from mid-
January until the class is filled in May. Files are reviewed at the discretion
of the Admissions Committee, and in general, those completed
first are reviewed first. A waitlist is established, and those selected are
notified and asked to confirm their acceptance of a place on the list.
The waitlist is not ranked. Admission from the waitlist can occur as
late as July.
Upon admission, an applicant must send a confirmation form and
an enrollment deposit to the Law School by the date specified in the
admission letter. The seat deposit is usually due two to three weeks
after the date of the letter.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:51 pm

just sent in my withdraw, gl to those waiting!! (freed up some monies too!!)

JTX

Postby JTX » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:52 pm

Veritas wrote:just sent in my withdraw, gl to those waiting!! (freed up some monies too!!)

ja57047

Postby ja57047 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:13 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:

if i hadn't already talked to lonestar, I'd think we're getting trolled hard. when did yall submit? I'll go back ITT and check.

btw, are seat deposits really due 1 April??

My deposit is due on the April 16th and I was accepted on March 5 but not notified until March 9. I talked to a guy at the ASD and his is due on April 15th but he was notified in Jan.

ja57047

Postby ja57047 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Veritas wrote:just sent in my withdraw, gl to those waiting!! (freed up some monies too!!)

Well done Sir!!! :)

adora

Postby adora » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:45 am

So...really random question.

To those who have been admitted: Is your CU ID number in the admit letter?

The reason I ask: I notified CU that my FAFSA has been selected for verification and asked what papers I'll need to submit to them (whenever they get to it). I was told that they don't have any information on file for me. They asked if I've actually been admitted (?!). They asked for my CU ID number. I told them I'm pretty sure I haven't been assigned one yet. But (what great timing!), I lost my admit letter. I have the scholarship letter, and it doesn't have a CU ID number on it. The guy I talked to said my admit letter would probably have it. Do you guys have one?

Ugh. I'm freaking out a bit. I know this is probably a stupid mistake, but I'm planning to attend and have been worrying since I got admitted that there was some terrible error (I really wasn't planning on getting in). Apparently, the guy I talked to was with the general finaid office, not the law school-specific one...so he forwarded my stuff to the law school finaid office. Hopefully it'll all get sorted out. And hopefully I'll find that damn letter.

martin024

Postby martin024 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:53 am

adora wrote:So...really random question.

My letter doesn't have any CU id#.

Anyway, don't worry, I'm sure you're fine :)

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:04 pm

adora: I spoke with someone from finaid, and they said they're just getting around to processing FAFSAs; she was surprised to find mine in the system. I assume a CU id is for enrolled students. In any case, it's definitely not in the letter.

I visited the campus this past week and was really, really impressed. I've been on a few law school visits and CU was the first that seemed like a real community. The students were smart but also laid back, and the professors I encountered seemed to have a much more personal relationship with their students than at other schools. I like that. And not that it's a reason to choose a school, but the building is just four years old and absolutely beautiful.

The one thing I was slightly turned off by was that the clinics are open registration (first come first serve), not selective like at some schools. I see the reasoning behind that, but I don't like the idea of being shut out of a clinic just because someone had a faster browser than me. They do seem to have a very strong clinical program over all, though, which is a big factor for me. I haven't decided, but there's a very good chance I'll end up here.

KmissP

Postby KmissP » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:00 pm

My ID came in an email along with the link for CUConnect.

Perhaps you have to confirm before they give you this information? I deposited early, so the email was a combined "thank you for your $200" and "here's your student ID and the website".

Here's the contact for the person who handles this:

Clarice J Jonez
Assistant Manager for Admissions & Financial Aid
University of Colorado Law School Office of Admissions
403 UCB Boulder, CO 80309
303-492-3083, desk
303-492-2542, FAX
Jonez@colorado.edu

adora

Postby adora » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks, everyone! I found my letter and feel much better :).

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:10 pm

I talked to the admissions & fin aid offices this morning. I was told that fin aid packets should be moving in the next 2 weeks (transitioning to a new system), and they will be doing a 2nd merit based scholarship package. The 2nd wave of merit awards will be on a rolling basis, I was told.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Just withdrew my application as I determined I would not end up attending no matter the circumstance. Freed up $50K for TLSers to pursue. Good luck to you all.

Chiglaw

Postby Chiglaw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:19 pm

Padimud wrote:Just withdrew my application as I determined I would not end up attending no matter the circumstance. Freed up $50K for TLSers to pursue. Good luck to you all.

Thanks! Just sent my LOCI so hoping for some good news around the 15th...

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Chiglaw wrote:
Padimud wrote:Just withdrew my application as I determined I would not end up attending no matter the circumstance. Freed up $50K for TLSers to pursue. Good luck to you all.

Thanks! Just sent my LOCI so hoping for some good news around the 15th...

Anyone know if CU takes additions to your file (such as LOCis) while you're still under review? Or should you wait for the potential waitlist? I know its generally better to send LOCIs when held/waitlisted at other schools I applied to, but thought someone here who has sent a LOCI to CU would have some info and I would not have to call admissions to ask. Thanks!

yellowfin

Postby yellowfin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Yesterday I roamed around the Wolf Law building. It's spring break so there weren't many students around, but the building is incredible. I've seen the law school facilities at Kansas, Lewis & Clark, American, Willamette, Seattle, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. None of them are awful and some are quite nice, but CU stands out.

eaters333

Postby eaters333 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 pm

yellowfin wrote:Yesterday I roamed around the Wolf Law building. It's spring break so there weren't many students around, but the building is incredible. I've seen the law school facilities at Kansas, Lewis & Clark, American, Willamette, Seattle, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. None of them are awful and some are quite nice, but CU stands out.

Hey i was there too yesterday, I just got back from Boulder for the first time (im in CA) and i loved it. Probably part of the entering class!

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:44 pm

I feel ridiculous even bringing this up, because I think rankings are meaningless and it won't affect my decision, but is there a particular reason that Colorado dropped so significantly last year? I was reading something about law schools and it was mentioned in passing. Again, I don't take stock in it, but was there any one statistic that fell sharply from the year before to account for the drop?

eaters333

Postby eaters333 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:46 pm

j.wellington wrote:I feel ridiculous even bringing this up, because I think rankings are meaningless and it won't affect my decision, but is there a particular reason that Colorado dropped so significantly last year? I was reading something about law schools and it was mentioned in passing. Again, I don't take stock in it, but was there any one statistic that fell sharply from the year before to account for the drop?

I asked a student advisor when i visited the law school about this. They said that it was because of mangled statistics regarding employment and by the time the discrepancy had been fixed the rankings had already gone out. If you look purely at Colorado's numbers they are the most under-ranked school in the entire top 100

yellowfin

Postby yellowfin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Right now in Boulder it's snowing. Expecting 7-11 inches tonight, another 4-5 inches tomorrow, and 2-3 inches more Wednesday night. The snow's coming down horizontally.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”