Colorado 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby ozarkhack » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:44 am

j.wellington wrote:Another question for admitted students: does the April 16 deposit deadline not seem a little early? It seems like most schools don't require a commitment until June, and I'm not even certain I'll have all my decisions rendered by that date. Anyone else a little concerned about this?


I'm not in at CU (yet?), but my other admittances so far all have April 1 or April 15 deposit deadlines. Seems pretty standard. I hate it, b/c like you I fear I'll not have all my choices laid out before me by then. But we won't be alone.

User avatar
j.wellington
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby j.wellington » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:44 am

KmissP wrote:I think their applicant pool is large enough that they can be extra selective through encouraging only the people who REALLY want to attend to submit their deposit.


Ok. But does that even allow me to submit a deposit and then not attend if I wanted to forfeit the $200 (I noticed there are actually two separate deposit dates)? I do want to go, but to be completely honest, CU is my second choice, and the status checker at my top school indicates I'm not even under review. I'd hate to have to pass on Colorado for the mere chance at getting into my first option.

User avatar
UF Gators
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:57 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby UF Gators » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:04 pm

j.wellington wrote:
KmissP wrote:I think their applicant pool is large enough that they can be extra selective through encouraging only the people who REALLY want to attend to submit their deposit.


Ok. But does that even allow me to submit a deposit and then not attend if I wanted to forfeit the $200 (I noticed there are actually two separate deposit dates)? I do want to go, but to be completely honest, CU is my second choice, and the status checker at my top school indicates I'm not even under review. I'd hate to have to pass on Colorado for the mere chance at getting into my first option.

Yes, if you send in a deposit it's ok to not attend. Lot's of people do this as they ride out other waitlists.

User avatar
mle0918
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby mle0918 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:41 pm

In today! Submitted 12/6.

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby icarter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

mle0918 wrote:In today! Submitted 12/6.


Congrats!!

Just want to extend the offer to anyone who didn't see it before:

Anyone who makes it to boulder and wants to meet some law students for drinks to talk in a more informal setting let me know!

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Jerome » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:49 pm

mle0918 wrote:In today! Submitted 12/6.

Snail mail?

User avatar
mle0918
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby mle0918 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:33 am

Jerome wrote:
mle0918 wrote:In today! Submitted 12/6.

Snail mail?


Yep!

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Padimud » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 am

So I am beginning to think I am being ignored by CU. I have been trying to find out when scholarships will be sent (along with other financial information). I have sent e-mails to numerous people at CU with no response. I don't they know when scholarship info will be sent out.

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby the lantern » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:37 am

Is there a particular reason why everyone is so incredibly anxious? Certainly it is in all of our personal best interest to hear as soon as possible, but I'm struggling to see what difference it will make. Most (if not all) seat deposits are not due until mid April, so if the scholarship information takes a couple of weeks longer than they originally stated, I'm not really getting why it is so important. I can understand that people just want to know so they can make the decision to be done with the whole process, but unless you're planning on moving/looking for an apartment immediately, there is little need to be impatient. Personally, I am going to CU's first admitted students day (the one in March), and I plan on looking for an apartment while I am there. If we still haven't heard by then, perhaps I will be upset then (not that I am thinking I will get any money anyways). Is the hooplah over scholarship money just people being anxious or what?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:39 am

the lantern wrote:Is there a particular reason why everyone is so incredibly anxious? Certainly it is in all of our personal best interest to hear as soon as possible, but I'm struggling to see what difference it will make. Most (if not all) seat deposits are not due until mid April, so if the scholarship information takes a couple of weeks longer than they originally stated, I'm not really getting why it is so important. I can understand that people just want to know so they can make the decision to be done with the whole process, but unless you're planning on moving/looking for an apartment immediately, there is little need to be impatient. Personally, I am going to CU's first admitted students day (the one in March), and I plan on looking for an apartment while I am there. If we still haven't heard by then, perhaps I will be upset then (not that I am thinking I will get any money anyways). Is the hooplah over scholarship money just people being anxious or what?


The short answer... lawyers (and prospective lawyers) are neurotic.

Tuski
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Tuski » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:54 pm

Padimud wrote:So I am beginning to think I am being ignored by CU. I have been trying to find out when scholarships will be sent (along with other financial information). I have sent e-mails to numerous people at CU with no response. I don't they know when scholarship info will be sent out.


A couple of us went to the Women in Law Day last weekend, and from the presentation the Financial Aid office gave us there, it sounded like they didn't expect scholarships to be announced before March.... (despite the "late January" date we were originally told).
Last edited by Tuski on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LifeinKodachrome
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:31 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby LifeinKodachrome » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Withdrawing my application today. Part of me is sad to give up on Colorado, but at this point as much as I'd love to live in Boulder I can't imagine taking my seat. Hopefully one of you will enjoy the city, snow, and lovely people in my place.

User avatar
Chiglaw
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Chiglaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 pm

FINALLY went complete/in review. Really really hoping for some good news. How long did it take most people to get a decision after that point?

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby icarter » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:16 pm

Tuski wrote:
Padimud wrote:So I am beginning to think I am being ignored by CU. I have been trying to find out when scholarships will be sent (along with other financial information). I have sent e-mails to numerous people at CU with no response. I don't they know when scholarship info will be sent out.


A couple of us went to the Women in Law Day last weekend, and from the presentation the Financial Aid office gave us there, it sounded like they didn't expect scholarships to be announced before March.... (despite the "late January" date we were originally told).


The CU admissions office has lofty goals however they are unrealistic in most cases. Give them the benefit of the doubt, they are sorting through thousands of applications and really do a comprehensive review of each one. I committed to CO around this time last year and found out I was awarded a scholarship around June or July (if I remember correctly).

Good luck everyone!

User avatar
Neil
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Neil » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Chiglaw wrote:FINALLY went complete/in review. Really really hoping for some good news. How long did it take most people to get a decision after that point?


I got that e-mail 12/18 and haven't heard anything from CU since, FWIW.

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby KmissP » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:43 pm

Padimud wrote:So I am beginning to think I am being ignored by CU. I have been trying to find out when scholarships will be sent (along with other financial information). I have sent e-mails to numerous people at CU with no response. I don't they know when scholarship info will be sent out.


I know that they have had some people in the admissions office out for various reasons, so I wouldn't take it too personally. The last time I was there, one of the women told me they were a little understaffed.
Last edited by KmissP on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soulive05
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby soulive05 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:43 pm

icarter wrote:
The CU admissions office has lofty goals however they are unrealistic in most cases. Give them the benefit of the doubt, they are sorting through thousands of applications and really do a comprehensive review of each one. I committed to CO around this time last year and found out I was awarded a scholarship around June or July (if I remember correctly).

Good luck everyone!



However, having that scholarship information often plays a big role in deciding where to attend. I'm just hoping to hear something about scholarships before ASD next month.

gcp52
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby gcp52 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:00 am

Will I see my status change online before I receive a letter in the mail? Do the schools actually update the online status once a decision has been made? For those who have been accepted did you receive an email, letter, or status update first?

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:41 am

gcp52 wrote:Will I see my status change online before I receive a letter in the mail? Do the schools actually update the online status once a decision has been made? For those who have been accepted did you receive an email, letter, or status update first?


Um, Colorado doesn't have a status checker...

User avatar
j.wellington
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby j.wellington » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 am

gatorlion wrote:
gcp52 wrote:Will I see my status change online before I receive a letter in the mail? Do the schools actually update the online status once a decision has been made? For those who have been accepted did you receive an email, letter, or status update first?


Um, Colorado doesn't have a status checker...


No, but they do have an admitted students portal. Has anyone received their login info yet? How long did it take?

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby aimhigh09 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:57 am

j.wellington wrote:
No, but they do have an admitted students portal. Has anyone received their login info yet? How long did it take?


I received a packet with admitted students website login info about 3 weeks after I received the acceptance letter.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:01 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
j.wellington wrote:
No, but they do have an admitted students portal. Has anyone received their login info yet? How long did it take?


I received a packet with admitted students website login info about 3 weeks after I received the acceptance letter.


+1 Therefore, you'll be waiting a while.

hjjs22
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby hjjs22 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 pm

quick question: How long did it take to receive your confirmation email/status check from CU? It's been a few weeks and I'm starting to get a little nervous. Sorry if this question has been asked already. Thanks!

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Padimud » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:01 pm

So just had some correspondence from the financial aid/scholarship office at CU.

Now someone define, "on the verge of sending out merit based scholarship info". Does that mean out next week? Or is that just my interpretation?

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby aimhigh09 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 pm

hjjs22 wrote:quick question: How long did it take to receive your confirmation email/status check from CU? It's been a few weeks and I'm starting to get a little nervous. Sorry if this question has been asked already. Thanks!


Colorado has no status checker, so don't stress out looking for one. :)

I applied at the end of October and received my confirmation email three weeks later, give or take a few days.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: uhwrestler and 8 guests