Colorado 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Zojirushi

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Zojirushi » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:15 am

ashleighlauren wrote:I'm in!! App complete 11/10. Turns out my apt had been holding the letter for a WEEK before they decided to notify me.
3.8/160.. I'm pretty surprised. No money, at least not yet. I also got into DU and USD. Anyone going to ASD in April?

That is great! Congrats!

biobuslaw

Postby biobuslaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:35 am

Got my acceptance in the mail yesterday. Very excited! Anyone know if they provide a stipend to visit?

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:54 pm

ashleighlauren wrote:I'm in!! App complete 11/10. Turns out my apt had been holding the letter for a WEEK before they decided to notify me.
3.8/160.. I'm pretty surprised. No money, at least not yet. I also got into DU and USD. Anyone going to ASD in April?

I'm going to try to make it to the April ASD, working on re-arranging my schedule. I'd really prefer to go to the March one, but there's no way...

biobuslaw wrote:Got my acceptance in the mail yesterday. Very excited! Anyone know if they provide a stipend to visit?

As for stipends, I don't think they do. At least, I haven't heard of anyone getting one (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Finally went complete today.

Which sucks. Because I was initially complete 10/27. Then wasted months by re-taking the LSAT (and barely improving). ... Now I'm very afraid of a loong WL stay, at best.

Please, CU. Let me in.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:32 pm

I booked my flight and rental car yesterday for the March ASD, look forward to meeting anyone who will be there :)

ExcitedBlutterance

Postby ExcitedBlutterance » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Accepted!! Woo Hoo! :D

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:33 pm

ExcitedBlutterance wrote:Accepted!! Woo Hoo! :D

Congrats! Numbers?

ashleighlauren

Postby ashleighlauren » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:08 pm

the lantern wrote:I booked my flight and rental car yesterday for the March ASD, look forward to meeting anyone who will be there :)

Pretty sure I'll be at the one in March (since it's during my spring break) if I can get away from work and find the $ for a plane ticket...

leftieash

Postby leftieash » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Anyone heard about money yet?? Maybe I'm taking this "end of January" thing too literally... :(

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 am

leftieash wrote:Anyone heard about money yet?? Maybe I'm taking this "end of January" thing too literally... :(

+1 - How about some money notice Colorado!

soulive05

Postby soulive05 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:46 am

Anyone know what the ASD/open house will consist of? I'm trying to decide if I should make it work with my schedule, or just go on another day, sit in on a class, and take the tour.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:50 am

soulive05 wrote:Anyone know what the ASD/open house will consist of? I'm trying to decide if I should make it work with my schedule, or just go on another day, sit in on a class, and take the tour.

I called to ask this same question, and the lady on the phone highly encouraged me to attend the ASD. She said that they would have us prepare some sort of brief and then have a class on it, some workshops, meetings with all sorts of student groups, etc. If you call the admissions office and ask they will tell you what is going on. I can't remember all of what she told me, but it convinced me that going to the ASD was worth it.

KmissP

Postby KmissP » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:46 am

leftieash wrote:Anyone heard about money yet?? Maybe I'm taking this "end of January" thing too literally... :(

I know. I keep obsessively checking LSN to see if anybody is reporting anything.

ExcitedBlutterance

Postby ExcitedBlutterance » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:49 am

Anyone know how hard the economy has hit their OCI? Also, is there a way to find out how many federal clerks they put out last year?

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:07 pm

KmissP wrote:

I know. I keep obsessively checking LSN to see if anybody is reporting anything.

Me too. But I'm definitely starting to think we can't take their timelines to literally...

I contacted the admissions office on Jan. 15 to ask when the "admitted students" portal would be available - and they said they hoped to have it up and running next week. That was two weeks ago. :?

Neil

Postby Neil » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:14 pm

the lantern wrote:
soulive05 wrote:Anyone know what the ASD/open house will consist of? I'm trying to decide if I should make it work with my schedule, or just go on another day, sit in on a class, and take the tour.

I called to ask this same question, and the lady on the phone highly encouraged me to attend the ASD. She said that they would have us prepare some sort of brief and then have a class on it, some workshops, meetings with all sorts of student groups, etc. If you call the admissions office and ask they will tell you what is going on. I can't remember all of what she told me, but it convinced me that going to the ASD was worth it.

:shock: Did not know I should be prepared to work at ASDs. Should I start researching how to prepare a brief? :lol:

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:42 pm

Officially withdrawn, good luck to everyone else!

enkizu

Postby enkizu » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:08 am

I got my waitlist letter yesterday. CU is definitely my first choice so now I am doing what I can to get get off it. My grandmother is trying to get all of her attorneys and judge friends to bombard them with letters of recommendation. I am begging her not to. There is one of them however that has known me well for a number of years and I'm considering letting him write me a letter. What do you guys think? I mean he mainly knows me as a friend of the family. Is there any chance this could do harm? I'm a little afraid he will try and name drop my family. Also if I let him write a letter, there is another lawyer who is insisting to write one, but he has only met me a handful of times. It's completely ridiculous. What would he say? "Tara's grandmother always said she would be a great lawyer, and I agree!" It would be a freaking joke. Otherwise I have written a letter stating that CU is my first choice and given updates on my new volunteer positions, and I have asked my supervisor at the organization where I volunteer for a recommendation.

Main point of this... Should I let the lawyer friend of the family write me a letter?
Sub point... is there anyway to trick the other lawyer into thinking he's sent a LOR, but not have it actually arrive at the school?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:42 am

Congrats! Now if only CU would get around to me :(

enkizu wrote:There is one of them however that has known me well for a number of years and I'm considering letting him write me a letter. What do you guys think? I mean he mainly knows me as a friend of the family. Is there any chance this could do harm?

Have you done anything work/school/ EC related with this person? Also, have you sent a LOCI? Also, have you gone up and visited the school? Personally, I'd do the latter 2 before the former.

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 am

enkizu wrote:Main point of this... Should I let the lawyer friend of the family write me a letter?
Sub point... is there anyway to trick the other lawyer into thinking he's sent a LOR, but not have it actually arrive at the school?

Maybe have him send it to LSAC, rather than CU directly? But then never assign it to be sent to CU? He'll get official confirmation that it's been received and stuff (from LSAC), so it'll look like everything's in order. That's about the only way I can think to have him send it, without the school receiving it.

k10370

Postby k10370 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:18 pm

Got my waitlist letter yesterday via snail mail. 161/3.4 with 2+ years environmental WE.

Colorado is a top choice for me, probably going to go the LOCI route.

enkizu

Postby enkizu » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:19 pm

I sent a LOCI and I'm visiting the school on Monday. It's kind of funny, when I called the school to schedule the visit, the girl on the phone recognized my name and said, "Oh yeah, we just sent you waitlist letter out," a little surprising that they recognized my name. I'm also considering retaking the LSAT in June. I know I can do better as I scored a 161 and a 164 on two of my practice tests, and I had a lot going on when I took the last one to prevent me from studying as hard as I could have. But I'm worried the results will come too late (July). I think I might just do it, It cant hurt. Also, the lawyer who knows me well, I haven't worked for him or served with him in any capacity, which makes me think he shouldn't write a letter. He could attest to me excellent moral character : ) BTW, Thanks everyone

enkizu

Postby enkizu » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:37 pm

Ahhh, oh my god, haha, my g-ma sent the letter that the 2nd attorney wants to send. Its pretty much everything a LOR should not be. His letterhead takes up half the page then it launches into this: (Posted as a warning on what to avoid, while appearing exuberantly positive, this would probably have ZERO influence on an admissions committee) Of course, My grandmother is all about it, haha.

I liked someone's suggestion of having him send this to LSAC and not assigning it.

"It is with great honor, pride and privilege that I am writing you to unconditionally recommend T*** T*** for matriculation at the University of Colorado School of Law at Boulder for the school year commencing in the fall of 2010. I have known T*** since she was in junior high school. I met T*** through her grandparents, ** and J***** H***, who are dear friends and the founders of ** H*** Company, a publicly traded ******** company headquartered in northwest ********, when her grandfather was hospitalized in *********, **********. I was immediately captured by Tara’s heart, compassion and genuine kindness, and I have kept up with Tara through high school and college. While Mr. H*** passed away a few years ago, I have maintained a very close friendship with Mrs. H*** and her family. I am so proud of the young woman T*** has grown to become, and she possess the moral character, integrity, intellect and ethical attributes that will make her a wonderful addition to the legal profession. While I suspect that almost every letter of recommendation you receive is effusive with praise about the applicant being recommended, what I believe will definitely set T*** apart in this profession is her sense of service, compassion and responsibility to those who are less fortunate and who are in need of help beyond themselves. Tara is a giver, not a taker, and she is selfless in her view of service to others above her own self-interest.

It is without any reservation that I am writing your school to encourage you to admit this extremely worthwhile applicant for admission to your entering 2010 law school class. Very respectfully, I believe that the law school that is fortunate enough to have T*** enroll in their program will be cultivating a relationship with a future alumnus that is going to reflect so favorably on its program. She is a remarkable young woman whom I feel blessed to have her life’s pass cross mine. If you or anyone on your admissions committee would like to visit with me personally about T***, please do not hesitate to contact me at my office number above, home (***-***-****) or on my cell (***-***-****). Thank you for your consideration of this request.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:43 pm

Haha, could be worse, I guess.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:37 pm

Any news on scholarships for anyone? This not-so-literal "end of January" got me all excited to hear nothing so far. Any guesses on when we will hear?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”