Colorado 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HeadingWest

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby HeadingWest » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Long-time TLS lurker here to feel sorry for myself with Colorado. At the beginning of the cycle, Boulder was where I wanted to be. Applied, went through some hoops with residency early on, then waited. And waited. And waited.

Still nothing, 3.9 ish GPA (Ivy), 169 LSAT, Colorado-specific PS, softs that other schools seemed to enjoy. Currently, I am wondering if I accidentally insulted someone's mother, or possibly insinuated that I'm an axe-murderer.

Anyway, congrats to everyone accepted, and sorry about the anonymous whining!

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:30 pm

HeadingWest wrote:Long-time TLS lurker here to feel sorry for myself with Colorado. At the beginning of the cycle, Boulder was where I wanted to be. Applied, went through some hoops with residency early on, then waited. And waited. And waited.

Still nothing, 3.9 ish GPA (Ivy), 169 LSAT, Colorado-specific PS, softs that other schools seemed to enjoy. Currently, I am wondering if I accidentally insulted someone's mother, or possibly insinuated that I'm an axe-murderer.

CU seems to be all over the place this cycle. You should definitely be an accept, I'd think (unless its YP? But the CO-specific PS should've helped with that), whereas I'm still surprised I got in. My numbers are 3.77/164/out-of-state, so not bad but not auto-admit, either. Especially since I didn't do a CO-specific PS, and I think my softs are just average. (I was kicking myself after submitting the app for being to lazy to do a CO-specific PS, because Boulder's a top choice for me). So yeah, I was very surprised and very, very happy to receive the acceptance. I had to e-mail admissions about something earlier this week, and I was half expecting to receive a reply that said "Oops! That acceptance letter was supposed to go to someone else, you were meant to get the waitlist letter!" so I got excited all over again when the reply started with, "Congratulations again on your admission." :oops:

Hopefully, you'll get good news soon. (unless of course you are an ax-murderer, or frequent mother-insulter).

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:59 pm

I wouldn't worry too much, friend. If people like me who don't even have a 3.0 GPA can get in, then surely you will get in. I only heard back from CU a week or two ago and I had been complete since the beginning of December.

Oh, and it looks like I'll be coming to the admitted students day on March 12. I look forward to meeting the current CU students as well as my future classmates. :)

Neil

Postby Neil » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Tagging.

Sent app 12/8
"Complete" e-mail 12/18
Nothing since as of 01/20

Good luck, everyone!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Sigh, sent 1/4, check cashed 1/12... still no email/notification my application has been received. I'm going to give it until Monday, then I may send an email to see what is up.

Chiglaw

Postby Chiglaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:08 pm

traehekat wrote:Sigh, sent 1/4, check cashed 1/12... still no email/notification my application has been received. I'm going to give it until Monday, then I may send an email to see what is up.

A little later than you but no cashed check. Just shot them an e-mail so I'll let you know if I hear anything back. Good luck!

HeadingWest

Postby HeadingWest » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Tuski wrote:
HeadingWest wrote:Long-time TLS lurker here to feel sorry for myself with Colorado. At the beginning of the cycle, Boulder was where I wanted to be. Applied, went through some hoops with residency early on, then waited. And waited. And waited.

CU seems to be all over the place this cycle. You should definitely be an accept, I'd think (unless its YP? But the CO-specific PS should've helped with that), whereas I'm still surprised I got in. My numbers are 3.77/164/out-of-state, so not bad but not auto-admit, either. Especially since I didn't do a CO-specific PS, and I think my softs are just average. (I was kicking myself after submitting the app for being to lazy to do a CO-specific PS, because Boulder's a top choice for me). So yeah, I was very surprised and very, very happy to receive the acceptance. I had to e-mail admissions about something earlier this week, and I was half expecting to receive a reply that said "Oops! That acceptance letter was supposed to go to someone else, you were meant to get the waitlist letter!" so I got excited all over again when the reply started with, "Congratulations again on your admission." :oops:

Hopefully, you'll get good news soon. (unless of course you are an ax-murderer, or frequent mother-insulter).

To be fair, the ax had it coming :)

Congrats on the acceptance Tuski!

adora

Postby adora » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:23 pm

So...I'm thinking I'm going to go to CU and I'm getting super excited about it...

But I'm nervous about taking on so much debt. I'm unlikely to get a scholarship and was offered a full ride to U. of Nebraska.

But I soooo want to go to CU.

Ugh.

Anyone else getting nervous about debt and weighing costs vs. benefits?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:08 am

adora wrote:So...I'm thinking I'm going to go to CU and I'm getting super excited about it...

But I'm nervous about taking on so much debt. I'm unlikely to get a scholarship and was offered a full ride to U. of Nebraska.

Ugh.

Cost: Full ride
Benefit: You're not a Husker.
Analysis: CU.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 am

Bikeflip wrote:
adora wrote:So...I'm thinking I'm going to go to CU and I'm getting super excited about it...

Ugh.

Cost: Full ride
Benefit: You're not a Husker.
Analysis: CU.

THIS is TCR. :mrgreen:

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:50 am

For everyone on the waitlist, you have one less person to compete with. I will be sending in my postcard and withdrawing from consideration at CU.

Best of luck to you all!

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:55 am

Ugh.

Same issue here. I want to go to CU, but I have a full ride at a comparable school. Oh, and I still need to be accepted to CU. :lol:

Anyone have any grant information?

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:25 am

Last edited by savagecheater on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 am

savagecheater wrote:

definitely yp

How is this YP if no decision has been rendered nor does CO utilize YP?

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:32 am

Ugh.

Yep, me too. If money was not a consideration, I'd have sent in my CU deposit already. I've got a lot of thinking to do these next couple months!

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Tuski wrote:

Ugh.

Yep, me too. If money was not a consideration, I'd have sent in my CU deposit already. I've got a lot of thinking to do these next couple months!

Money is the only thing holding me back as well, BUT I probably won't get any decent scholarships at any schools worth going to, and Colorado is only marginally more expensive than going to the cheapest school I can. I'm not so worried now that I've read about IBR (I want to be a prosecutor or state attorney), and now that I've broken down just how much it will cost. Unlike most people, I come from a modest background (I made less than 22k every year since graduating high school), so I know what it is like to live cheap. If the worst case scenario happens, (first of all, I would use IBR, but if IBR wasn't there for some crazy reason) I know I could scrape by for 10 yrs while paying off my loan, assuming I could get some sort of job to pay it off. I want to be a lawyer regardless of my future income-- this is the career I want.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Aren't scholarships supposed to be sent out "the end of January". We all should not have that long to wait until we have a better idea of what exactly the cost/benefit analysis will look like.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Padimud wrote:Aren't scholarships supposed to be sent out "the end of January". We all should not have that long to wait until we have a better idea of what exactly the cost/benefit analysis will look like.

This is my understanding, too.

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:49 pm

the lantern wrote:
Tuski wrote:

Ugh.

Money is the only thing holding me back as well, BUT I probably won't get any decent scholarships at any schools worth going to, and Colorado is only marginally more expensive than going to the cheapest school I can. I'm not so worried now that I've read about IBR (I want to be a prosecutor or state attorney), and now that I've broken down just how much it will cost. Unlike most people, I come from a modest background (I made less than 22k every year since graduating high school), so I know what it is like to live cheap. If the worst case scenario happens, (first of all, I would use IBR, but if IBR wasn't there for some crazy reason) I know I could scrape by for 10 yrs while paying off my loan, assuming I could get some sort of job to pay it off. I want to be a lawyer regardless of my future income-- this is the career I want.

I know I could manage, I'm just questioning how worth it is, when I could potentially have higher scholarship offers from comparable schools. I come from a "modest" background, also, so I definitely know how to live cheap - but knowing how it is to not have much, has made me really cautious about taking on debt/unnecessary spending. I've made decent money since UG, but the last year I've been living off less than half of my income, and using the rest to save & pay down other debt before starting law school. I just keep thinking how much farther the money I've saved would stretch in other places than it will in Boulder... But at the same time, how much I'd rather live in Boulder than other places. :? But yeah, hopefully that scholarship info comes soon so we at least have more concrete numbers to consider...

HeadingWest

Postby HeadingWest » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:12 pm

savagecheater wrote:

definitely yp

I tried to make my interest really clear, and now I just hope I didn't come across as an overeager douche.

Went complete in November, so at this point I'm assuming reject or soft admit (no $?). Also regretting putting down the actual schools I applied to for that question on the app, as opposed to Cooley and Phoenix.

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:46 pm

HeadingWest:

I doubt they'll reject you outright. If they are YPing, then I think they'd waitlist rather than reject.

Here's a crazy idea - what if your acceptance package didn't make it to you? Lost in the mail, mis-delivered, whatever. I know that doesn't seem likely, but it's possible, right? I mean, if they were going to WL or reject you, I'd think you'd have gotten that by now, too. And with CU, the letter's really the only way you know you're in (at least, I haven't received any other communication from them besides my admissions packet). If I were you, I think I'd contact admissions. Just say you want to check on the status of your application. At best they'll say, "didn't you receive your packet yet?" at worst, you'll have at least let them know you really are interested in CU.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Tuski wrote:
the lantern wrote:
Tuski wrote:

Ugh.

I know I could manage, I'm just questioning how worth it is, when I could potentially have higher scholarship offers from comparable schools. I come from a "modest" background, also, so I definitely know how to live cheap - but knowing how it is to not have much, has made me really cautious about taking on debt/unnecessary spending. I've made decent money since UG, but the last year I've been living off less than half of my income, and using the rest to save & pay down other debt before starting law school. I just keep thinking how much farther the money I've saved would stretch in other places than it will in Boulder... But at the same time, how much I'd rather live in Boulder than other places. :? But yeah, hopefully that scholarship info comes soon so we at least have more concrete numbers to consider...

Hopefully they'll give you a scholarship to make the decision easier. I know for awhile I was really struggling with the prospect of taking on so much debt, but after obsessing over it for months and months, I just know I would be happy in Boulder because my old college roommate lives there, and it is in a perfect location (not a big city, but really close to a big city). I am sure you'll figure things out... probably just best to not obsess over it because you have numbers that might get you a scholarship :)

leftieash

Postby leftieash » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Don't worry!!! Trust me, I *know* it's hard not to but ... I am really guessing you'll be accepted (and hope you are--and that you come!) :)

I know their office is really small, and they are probably swamped.

Have you gotten a "complete" email yet? If you haven't it could be a good excuse to check up on things... because your packet really might've been lost in the mail. (They have sent out acceptance letters with the wrong names on them, so mistakes can definitely happen!)

HeadingWest

Postby HeadingWest » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:27 pm

leftieash wrote:

Don't worry!!! Trust me, I *know* it's hard not to but ... I am really guessing you'll be accepted (and hope you are--and that you come!) :)

I know their office is really small, and they are probably swamped.

Have you gotten a "complete" email yet? If you haven't it could be a good excuse to check up on things... because your packet really might've been lost in the mail. (They have sent out acceptance letters with the wrong names on them, so mistakes can definitely happen!)

I hope law school mistakes are like teacher mistakes on exams, in that they can only work in your favor. Because I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the schools I have gotten good news from have me confused with someone else :)

I did get a "complete" email, but eons ago. Can't hurt to contact them though. Thanks so much for the advice!

ashleighlauren

Postby ashleighlauren » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm in!! App complete 11/10. Turns out my apt had been holding the letter for a WEEK before they decided to notify me.
3.8/160.. I'm pretty surprised. No money, at least not yet. I also got into DU and USD. Anyone going to ASD in April?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”