Colorado 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:50 pm

I wouldn't abbreviate in the letter.

I will do more research on LOCI's.

Anyone know how effective they are? Particularly in my situation, where it's not just "I really want to go", it's more "I really want to go but I have to have a decision made by X time".

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:15 am

Has anyone been offered any sort of reimbursement for travel expenses if we visit? I'm probably going to ask just to see what they say, but I'm a splitter so I'm not optimistic.

adora

Postby adora » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:37 pm

kalvano wrote:Wow, they seem all over the place.

Not sure what to think.

Yeah...I am honestly shocked that I got in this early. I was expecting a flat out rejection.

For those who are still waiting and trying to understand what they like, these are the things that I think helped me get in:

-strong work history in natural resources management and PS about environmental stuff
-diversity statement about being gay
-lots of research experience, and published
-extreme upward trend in grades (though my gpa is WAY below what they prefer, my cum. gpa over the last three years was 3.8-3.9ish

I really don't know if these are the things that got me in, but just a guess. I think my PS and DS didn't work as well at other places, but I'm pretty sure CU liked the env't focus and diversity stuff.

I'm really happy that CU is one of the few schools that really seems to look beyond the numbers. I feel very, very lucky.

LifeinKodachrome

Postby LifeinKodachrome » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
LifeinKodachrome wrote:Waitlist letter was waiting in the mail for me today. I like Colorado a lot more than I think I made clear, so a targeted letter of continued interest I think is in order. A little scared after this batch of responses though (3 today), all at once and not much great news.

Maybe I should start posting in USS. Pessimism

What were your numbers, if you don't mind?

170, 3.3, published

martin024

Postby martin024 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:01 pm

In via large envelope yesterday! 3.0, 164, good ps/ds.

adora

Postby adora » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:03 pm

martin024 wrote:In via large envelope yesterday! 3.0, 164, good ps/ds.

Congrats!!!

martin024

Postby martin024 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks, to you as well. I'm quite psyched :)

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:09 pm

IN! By mail on Thursday, 1/14. :mrgreen:

Go Buffs!!! "Fight CU down the field, CU must win..."

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Congrats! It looks like this was a good week for CO applicants.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:34 pm

adora wrote:

Not sure what to think.

Yeah...I am honestly shocked that I got in this early. I was expecting a flat out rejection.

For those who are still waiting and trying to understand what they like, these are the things that I think helped me get in:

-strong work history in natural resources management and PS about environmental stuff
-extreme upward trend in grades (though my gpa is WAY below what they prefer, my cum. gpa over the last three years was 3.8-3.9ish

I really don't know if these are the things that got me in, but just a guess. I think my PS and DS didn't work as well at other places, but I'm pretty sure CU liked the env't focus and diversity stuff.

I'm really happy that CU is one of the few schools that really seems to look beyond the numbers. I feel very, very lucky.

I echo this response. I am a straight white guy, different from the quoted poster, but I was in the military and I also had serious depression when I was younger. I ended up dropping out of school, going to treatment, etc... went back to school, made Dean's list every quarter, and scored high on the LSAT despite a very low GPA. I thought I would be an outright reject or permanent waitlist, but I got in, and I feel so so lucky. I also worked full-time during school. They really do seem to look beyond the numbers.

adora

Postby adora » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:51 pm

the lantern wrote:
adora wrote:

Not sure what to think.

I echo this response. I am a straight white guy, different from the quoted poster, but I was in the military and I also had serious depression when I was younger. I ended up dropping out of school, going to treatment, etc... went back to school, made Dean's list every quarter, and scored high on the LSAT despite a very low GPA. I thought I would be an outright reject or permanent waitlist, but I got in, and I feel so so lucky. I also worked full-time during school. They really do seem to look beyond the numbers.

I had depression issues too...I wrote a pretty long addendum about dealing with depression, how it affected my school work, and getting treatment...hm. I took a semester off, then went back to school and also made dean's list every semester. Perhaps they like mentally unstable people ;). Or maybe they like people who can climb back up.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:01 am

tamlyric wrote:IN! By mail on Thursday, 1/14. :mrgreen:

It's FUCK 'EM UP! FUCK 'EM UP! GO CU!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:13 pm

So, CU cashed my check I sent on 1/12... but still no word from them! No email that my application was received or anything. Should I be worried NOW?

aimhigh09

Postby aimhigh09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:16 pm

traehekat wrote:So, CU cashed my check I sent on 1/12... but still no word from them! No email that my application was received or anything. Should I be worried NOW?

It was about a week and a half (edit) from when my check was cashed to when I received a complete email. From what I understand, it's a very small office and they have a slow turnaround. I wouldn't worry too much yet, but maybe in a week or so if you still haven't heard anything, give them a call/email?

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
tamlyric wrote:IN! By mail on Thursday, 1/14. :mrgreen:

It's FUCK 'EM UP! FUCK 'EM UP! GO CU!

Oh, I know. :wink:

Chiglaw

Postby Chiglaw » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:39 pm

traehekat wrote:So, CU cashed my check I sent on 1/12... but still no word from them! No email that my application was received or anything. Should I be worried NOW?

Sent mine on the same day and they still haven't cashed it. Getting paranoid that the USPS lost it :shock:

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:29 pm

Chiglaw wrote:

Sent mine on the same day and they still haven't cashed it. Getting paranoid that the USPS lost it :shock:

I had a fee waiver so I can't comment on the check cashing, but it took them about 2 weeks to send me a "complete" email after I sent the certification letter.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:29 pm

how is CU with merit aid?

mugwump

Postby mugwump » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:43 pm

Received the below today. Should I accept this as a portent of an acceptance of CU, since I live on the East Coast? :D

Dear Mr. XXXX XXXXX,

As a Mileage Plus® Visa Signature® cardmember, you are invited to experience one-of-a-kind gourmet dining on February 24 at Frasca Food and Wine, one of Boulder, Colorado's most acclaimed restaurants.

Owner/Executive Chef Lachlan Mackinnon-Patterson will prepare a feast showcasing fresh Friuli-Venezia Giulian cuisine accompanied by fine wines from Gundlach Bundschu, California's oldest family-owned winery. Considered one of the country's top chefs, Chef Mackinnon-Patterson was recently named Best Chef: Southwest by the distinguished James Beard Foundation.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010
7:00 p.m.
1738 Pearl Street
Boulder, Colorado

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:57 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:

It was about a week and a half (edit) from when my check was cashed to when I received a complete email. From what I understand, it's a very small office and they have a slow turnaround. I wouldn't worry too much yet, but maybe in a week or so if you still haven't heard anything, give them a call/email?

They cashed my check about a week after I sent it on 10/17. I never got the "complete" e-mail. ... Later, when I requested a hold for the Dec. LSAT, I asked for confirmation that they'd received my app. The office told me they had e-mailed me on 10/27. ... I never got that e-mail, but I decided not to quibble over it.

So. ... If you haven't heard anything after 2 weeks, I'd ask them about it and see if they have your e-mail addy down properly. (They had mine right, so I don't know where that 10/27 e-mail went.)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:15 pm

My app received email from ND actually ended up in my spam folder lol. I thought maybe the same had happened with CU, but nothing there. If anyone else hasn't received one yet though, I might check the spam folder... cause I guess it can happen.

pizzaface

Postby pizzaface » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:28 pm

traehekat wrote:My app received email from ND actually ended up in my spam folder lol. I thought maybe the same had happened with CU, but nothing there. If anyone else hasn't received one yet though, I might check the spam folder... cause I guess it can happen.

FWIW, my CRS fee waiver from Colorado ended up in my gmail spam, so it's definitely possible.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 pm

pizzaface wrote:
traehekat wrote:My app received email from ND actually ended up in my spam folder lol. I thought maybe the same had happened with CU, but nothing there. If anyone else hasn't received one yet though, I might check the spam folder... cause I guess it can happen.

FWIW, my CRS fee waiver from Colorado ended up in my gmail spam, so it's definitely possible.

The application instructions actually say this...

The Law School may communicate with applicants via e-mail. Configure your e-mail account to accept e-mail from addresses ending in "colorado.edu."

I haven't really seen this for any other schools, so maybe this happens a lot with CU.

nymets123

Postby nymets123 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:23 pm

accepted today via large envelope...sweet.

3.45/163

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:24 pm

nymets123 wrote:accepted today via large envelope...sweet.

3.45/163

Congrats! Gives me hope.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”