Colorado 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby the lantern » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:51 pm

I have friends who live in Golden, CO that I went to undergrad with. They told me if I come to CU Boulder, I could get a place with one of them. I am not sending in my deposit tomorrow or anything, but I really think I am going to go to Colorado. It sounds like exactly the place I want to live, learn, and maybe make my career.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Emma. » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 pm

Veritas wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
emrose wrote:In via letter today! Nice to have some good news after Penn held me yesterday.

Congrats everyone who has been admitted, good luck everyone still waiting!


You are complaining with a 176 and acceptances to Berkeley and GULC?

Dude, it's all relative to your personal expectations. No hating!


<3

Tuski
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Tuski » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Got the letter today - I'M IN!!!! I'm so happy! I was really nervous on this one, and it's a top choice!!!

Like someone else said though, this acceptance is going to make for some tough decisions!

Congrats to everyone else who got the good news today, too!

(stats: 164/3.77/submitted app 10/30/09)

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48 pm

the lantern wrote:Accepted today via large white envelope. Went complete the first week of December. 2.97, 165 - extreme extreme upward trend + average to good softs



YES!

Congrats, and this is what I like to hear,

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:49 pm

emrose wrote:
LifeinKodachrome wrote:I really wish Colorado had a status checker... All of you admits are making me yearn for the snow.


The snow sucks right now. :|



It was 63 degrees here today, I would kill for some snow. Any snow.

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby the lantern » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:23 am

After crunching numbers and talking to my friends in Boulder, I'm like 90% sure I'm going to CU. I can't make it to either of the open house days listed in the acceptance letter, so I'll probably just go on a visit by myself in the last week of March. Very exciting to hear from CU... I thought I was a sure rejection.

Tuski
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Tuski » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:03 am

the lantern wrote:After crunching numbers and talking to my friends in Boulder, I'm like 90% sure I'm going to CU. I can't make it to either of the open house days listed in the acceptance letter, so I'll probably just go on a visit by myself in the last week of March. Very exciting to hear from CU... I thought I was a sure rejection.


Yeah, I probably won't be able to make it to either of the open houses, either, which is disappointing. Maybe the last one, April 16th, but that's the day tuition deposits are due so it seems a little late. I think I'm going to go in February instead.

jackiebird
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:59 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby jackiebird » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Tuski wrote:Got the letter today - I'M IN!!!! I'm so happy! I was really nervous on this one, and it's a top choice!!!

Like someone else said though, this acceptance is going to make for some tough decisions!

Congrats to everyone else who got the good news today, too!

(stats: 164/3.77/submitted app 10/30/09)



awwww, told you!!!!!!!!! Congratulations :)

User avatar
mhd08
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby mhd08 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Well guys, I just got my rejection letter today :( I half expected it but at least it's one less decision to make (forceful optimism lol). Anyway, good luck to everyone else!

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby KmissP » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Anyone else thinking of going to the Women in Law Day on February 6? I just registered!

Tuski
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Tuski » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:41 pm

KmissP wrote:Anyone else thinking of going to the Women in Law Day on February 6? I just registered!


I am! I can't make it to the Open House in March, so decided to make a trip to the Women in Law Day, at least, as a consolation. I just requested the time off, and assuming it gets approved I'll be registering today or tomorrow!

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby KmissP » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:01 pm

Sweet! We should organize a meet-up!

MSUPHL
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby MSUPHL » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:15 pm

waitlisted, 3.6/163...gonna send out a diversity statement this weekend. what do y'all think? ( i know improper forum but alot of CU students in here may know what the dead/admissions is looking for)

I spent the summer between my Sophomore and Junior Year of college in the ancient land of Israel, and more specifically, in Jerusalem. While I come from a community rich in Jewish heritage, where around 50% of public high school students are Jewish, I felt at the time that I lacked a real understanding of traditional Judaism. I worked my way into a few scholarships and opportunities, and was able to spend 12 weeks in Jerusalem for a very modest price.
I started out with a 2 week tour hosted by a Jewish Orthodox organization, Jewish Awareness of America, headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan. While this trip delved somewhat into traditional Judaism, I still desired more knowledge about my people’s religious history and development. At the advice of a Rabbi, I decided to spend the next 5 weeks at two different Orthodox Yeshivas, schools that teach only very traditional and rigid Judaism.
For the first time in my life, I was a minority. While I shared the same religion with all other students and teachers, the way I practiced it was completely different. Still, I tried to take advantage of this unique situation. I studied with rabbis who were born into observant families, befriended older students who became observant on their own, and spent every Shabbos (Friday sunset until Saturday sunset) with a different, young, observant family.
I learned about Judaism’s ancient legal codes, which were originally passed down through oral traditions before being written down in texts known as the Gemara and Mishnah. I read a book entitled “ethics of our fathers” which contains snippets of advice from famous rabbis of generations past along with commentary. I went on long walks with my peers discussing the practical effects of implementing Jewish law, or Halacha, into everyday life. I argued from a standpoint of ignorance against people much more learned than I about ideas that I had never before pondered.
These unique experiences have given me a much better understanding of how people can be so different in their particular beliefs, yet remain friends and respect one another. I am now able to look at an issue from my opponent’s side, see what has caused them to adapt this view, and as a result become much more accepting of opinions that I would have, in years past, labeled as ridiculous or dismissed altogether.
As a result of acquiring this skill, I believe I will flourish in an environment like the one I assume law school to be; where I will meet students from all backgrounds imaginable, learn with professors of various philosophies, and dissect texts with opposing viewpoints

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Wow, they seem all over the place.

Not sure what to think.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:13 pm

kalvano wrote:Wow, they seem all over the place.

Not sure what to think.


+1. I was relatively confident, now I am not so sure...

Not to mention Colorado is still the only school I have not heard back from, even to let me know they received my application. Sent the certification letter/application fee in the mail on 1/4.

Tuski
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Tuski » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:32 pm

KmissP wrote:Sweet! We should organize a meet-up!


We should! My vacation request just got approved, so I'm going for sure. Can't wait!

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby gatorlion » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:17 pm

traehekat wrote:
kalvano wrote:Wow, they seem all over the place.

Not sure what to think.


+1. I was relatively confident, now I am not so sure...

Not to mention Colorado is still the only school I have not heard back from, even to let me know they received my application. Sent the certification letter/application fee in the mail on 1/4.


Strange, Colorado is one of two schools I have heard from, and I was admitted in December. I haven't heard almost anything from the 19 other schools I applied to.

User avatar
Zojirushi
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Zojirushi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:19 pm

gatorlion wrote:
traehekat wrote:
kalvano wrote:Wow, they seem all over the place.

Not sure what to think.


+1. I was relatively confident, now I am not so sure...

Not to mention Colorado is still the only school I have not heard back from, even to let me know they received my application. Sent the certification letter/application fee in the mail on 1/4.


Strange, Colorado is one of two schools I have heard from, and I was admitted in December. I haven't heard almost anything from the 19 other schools I applied to.

I am pretty sure they liked your interest in environmental law.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby gatorlion » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
traehekat wrote:
kalvano wrote:Wow, they seem all over the place.

Not sure what to think.


+1. I was relatively confident, now I am not so sure...

Not to mention Colorado is still the only school I have not heard back from, even to let me know they received my application. Sent the certification letter/application fee in the mail on 1/4.


Strange, Colorado is one of two schools I have heard from, and I was admitted in December. I haven't heard almost anything from the 19 other schools I applied to.

I am pretty sure they liked your interest in environmental law.


I believe you are right in this regard. I was unabashed with my approach to law school applications; I know for certain I want to practice environmental law, so everything in my application indicates as such. I feel very fortunate to have a positive decision rendered so early. Good luck to everyone else waiting in the wings!

LifeinKodachrome
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:31 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby LifeinKodachrome » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:45 am

Waitlist letter was waiting in the mail for me today. I like Colorado a lot more than I think I made clear, so a targeted letter of continued interest I think is in order. A little scared after this batch of responses though (3 today), all at once and not much great news.

Maybe I should start posting in USS. Pessimism

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:56 am

LifeinKodachrome wrote:Waitlist letter was waiting in the mail for me today. I like Colorado a lot more than I think I made clear, so a targeted letter of continued interest I think is in order. A little scared after this batch of responses though (3 today), all at once and not much great news.

Maybe I should start posting in USS. Pessimism

What were your numbers, if you don't mind?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Got my waitlist letter in the mail today.

It said "throughout the summer and in to August", but we have to move, sell our house, get my wife certified to teach in whatever state we move to, and work on finding her a job, which the best time to do is April and May.

So I can't wait until summer or August, even though Boulder is very much a top choice for me.

I don't want to withdraw, anyone got any tips for getting off the WL?

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby the lantern » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:27 pm

kalvano wrote:Got my waitlist letter in the mail today.

It said "throughout the summer and in to August", but we have to move, sell our house, get my wife certified to teach in whatever state we move to, and work on finding her a job, which the best time to do is April and May.

So I can't wait until summer or August, even though Boulder is very much a top choice for me.

I don't want to withdraw, anyone got any tips for getting off the WL?


Send a letter stating just those things, and that if offered admission, you would immediately send in a deposit. If you put it all out there, at least you're giving yourself a shot, eh?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:41 pm

the lantern wrote:
kalvano wrote:Got my waitlist letter in the mail today.

It said "throughout the summer and in to August", but we have to move, sell our house, get my wife certified to teach in whatever state we move to, and work on finding her a job, which the best time to do is April and May.

So I can't wait until summer or August, even though Boulder is very much a top choice for me.

I don't want to withdraw, anyone got any tips for getting off the WL?


Send a letter stating just those things, and that if offered admission, you would immediately send in a deposit. If you put it all out there, at least you're giving yourself a shot, eh?



I don't know for sure that, at the moment, I would immediately send in a deposit. I still have several other schools to hear back from.

However, barring a miracle acceptance, UC is high on my list.

Tuski
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Colorado 2010

Postby Tuski » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:46 pm

kalvano wrote:
the lantern wrote:
kalvano wrote:Got my waitlist letter in the mail today.

It said "throughout the summer and in to August", but we have to move, sell our house, get my wife certified to teach in whatever state we move to, and work on finding her a job, which the best time to do is April and May.

So I can't wait until summer or August, even though Boulder is very much a top choice for me.

I don't want to withdraw, anyone got any tips for getting off the WL?


Send a letter stating just those things, and that if offered admission, you would immediately send in a deposit. If you put it all out there, at least you're giving yourself a shot, eh?



I don't know for sure that, at the moment, I would immediately send in a deposit. I still have several other schools to hear back from.

However, barring a miracle acceptance, UC is high on my list.


Perhaps what the previous poster suggested then, but instead of "If offered admission I'd immediately send in a deposit" something like, "barring unforseen circumstances, I'd immediately send in a deposit if offered admission"

Also note, "CU" vs. "UC." It's pretty minor, but if you referred to it as "UC" in your letter I could possibly see them thinking you aren't that serious about the school...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ginawwhan, Lawl_Schoolz, notnecessarilyproper, RictusErectus, TakeItToTrial, xnsch, Zoe107 and 16 guests