Colorado 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bikeflip

Gold

Re: Colorado 2010

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:45 am

Padimud wrote:Any news on scholarships for anyone? This not-so-literal "end of January" got me all excited to hear nothing so far. Any guesses on when we will hear?
Just broswing LSN data:
2009:
One person: Complete on 1/28. In on 3/13. Scholarship info on 3/26
Another person: scholarship info on 3/20 (looks to have also applied late).
Another person: 3/21 for scholarship info.
Another: Complete 12/1, in 2/10, scholarship 3/19
A bunch of others last updated CU 9-10 months ago, which would be, depending on how LSN does their updates, late-March, early- April. My assumption is, most of those updates were for scholarship info.
Also, looking at last yr, it appears only 1 full ride (in state) was reported at CU on LSN. It looked to be a split of either $32,000 for 3 yrs (around 1/2 off) or $6,000 (for one, then in state?)

2008:
One person: In on 12/19, with full ride (nice!)
Another: In on Xmas eve with money ($42,000/3yrs)
Another: Complete 1/31, In 4/22, Scholarship 4/28 ($30,000/3yrs)
Another: In on 12/26, scholarship info same day ($40,000)
Another: In on 12/28, scholarship info next day ($31,000)
Another: In on 3/17, scholarship info same day ($40,000)
Looks like scholarships came the same day (or around the same day) as admits. Also looked like admits came a bit quicker this yr. Money looked to be up as well. Few more full rides reported.

2007:
Looks like they did the same as 2008. Scholarship info around the same time.

2006:
Same, money appears to be a bit less this time, or maybe people around this time reported more by the yr instead of the total?

Assuming there is enough data here, all I got out of doing this is that it appears that things are changing in the CU admit office. Scholarship info isn't sent with admit packets, and, even if you include the idea of self selection, it appears that scholarship money did decrease. I mean, you'd still see those $90,000 scholarship people in 2009, I'd assume, if things did not change. Really not sure what to make of these points, though. Is scholarship money drying up, being reappropriated into other areas of CU Law, being more widely distributed to CU Law admits or something else?
Of course, with LSN, that's a big assumption.

Tuski

New

Post by Tuski » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:04 pm

So, I came home today to find another big CU Law envelope in the mail. I got all excited because i thought at long-last the scholarship info had come! But no, it was just a letter congratulating me again on my admission, and giving me th info to access the Admitted Students portal.

Now I'm wondering if this means no scholarship for me? I'm not that hopeful to get much in the first place, but it seems like if they were going to give me any, the notification might've been included in this second mailing? Anyone else get this letter yet? If so, any word on $$$?
Last edited by Tuski on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

adora

Bronze

Post by adora » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Tuski wrote:So, I came home today to find another big CU Law envelope in the mail. I got all excited because i thought at long-last the scholarship info had come! But no, it was just a letter congratulating me again on my admission, and giving me th info to access the Admitted Students portal.

Now I'm wondering if this means no scholarship for me? I wasn't that hopeful in the first place, but it seems like if they were going to give me any, the notification might've been included in this second mailing? Anyone else get this letter? If so, any word on $$$?
I got that, too...and no money. But I'm not really expecting any.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:52 pm

Tuski wrote:So, I came home today to find another big CU Law envelope in the mail. I got all excited because i thought at long-last the scholarship info had come! But no, it was just a letter congratulating me again on my admission, and giving me th info to access the Admitted Students portal.

Now I'm wondering if this means no scholarship for me? I wasn't that hopeful in the first place, but it seems like if they were going to give me any, the notification might've been included in this second mailing? Anyone else get this letter? If so, any word on $$$?
I received this also, with no scholarship info. Without meaning to sound entitled, I'd be surprised to not see any scholly offer from CU, so hopefully it is just coming separately.

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Padimud wrote:Any news on scholarships for anyone? This not-so-literal "end of January" got me all excited to hear nothing so far. Any guesses on when we will hear?
Just broswing LSN data:
2009:
One person: Complete on 1/28. In on 3/13. Scholarship info on 3/26
Another person: scholarship info on 3/20 (looks to have also applied late).
Another person: 3/21 for scholarship info.
Another: Complete 12/1, in 2/10, scholarship 3/19
A bunch of others last updated CU 9-10 months ago, which would be, depending on how LSN does their updates, late-March, early- April. My assumption is, most of those updates were for scholarship info.
Also, looking at last yr, it appears only 1 full ride (in state) was reported at CU on LSN. It looked to be a split of either $32,000 for 3 yrs (around 1/2 off) or $6,000 (for one, then in state?)

2008:
One person: In on 12/19, with full ride (nice!)
Another: In on Xmas eve with money ($42,000/3yrs)
Another: Complete 1/31, In 4/22, Scholarship 4/28 ($30,000/3yrs)
Another: In on 12/26, scholarship info same day ($40,000)
Another: In on 12/28, scholarship info next day ($31,000)
Another: In on 3/17, scholarship info same day ($40,000)
Looks like scholarships came the same day (or around the same day) as admits. Also looked like admits came a bit quicker this yr. Money looked to be up as well. Few more full rides reported.

2007:
Looks like they did the same as 2008. Scholarship info around the same time.

2006:
Same, money appears to be a bit less this time, or maybe people around this time reported more by the yr instead of the total?

Assuming there is enough data here, all I got out of doing this is that it appears that things are changing in the CU admit office. Scholarship info isn't sent with admit packets, and, even if you include the idea of self selection, it appears that scholarship money did decrease. I mean, you'd still see those $90,000 scholarship people in 2009, I'd assume, if things did not change. Really not sure what to make of these points, though. Is scholarship money drying up, being reappropriated into other areas of CU Law, being more widely distributed to CU Law admits or something else?
Of course, with LSN, that's a big assumption.
I hope your incredibly in depth research proves to be a trend of the past and not the present. I am thoroughly convinced it is not going to be March. No school wants to piss off every applicant by putting a goal for scholarship at the end of January and then not release till mid-March. That just seems like a deal-killer and marketing nightmare if you ask me. I am still going to be optimistic that we hear something mid-February. This letter that seems to be going out may be the letter with info as those who were not expecting money, didn't get it. And one who is may be a case of CU making an assumption he/she will not attend so why offer money. However for everyone's sake I hope it comes quickly and comes in large amounts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:13 pm

In!

Definitely one of my top choices, though I'm out of state so I'm really hoping for something in the way of money. I'll be watching closely here to see if anyone gets word.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:17 pm

j.wellington wrote:In!

Definitely one of my top choices, though I'm out of state so I'm really hoping for something in the way of money. I'll be watching closely here to see if anyone gets word.
congrats! When did you go complete?

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 pm

FYI: from the CU Financial Aid "Law" page (not the law school financial aid page):
--LinkRemoved--

A: The admissions committee automatically considers admitted entering students for scholarships; there is no separate scholarship application for first-year applicants. Selection of scholarship recipients begins in March, and in most circumstances, recipients will be notified before their enrollment deposit is due. Although most scholarship offers come at the time of admission, It is possible for scholarships to be awarded through the end of August. If you wish to be considered for need-based scholarship funds, you must submit The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Information regarding the FAFSA can be found at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.

The law school's website still says that selection begins in January, and that in most cases you'll be notified before your enrollment deposit is due... I don't know when that is. I was ED, so I don't have a deposit due again until early July, I think.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:21 am

KmissP wrote:http://www.colorado.edu/finaid/law.html
Selection of scholarship recipients begins in March, and in most circumstances, recipients will be notified before their enrollment deposit is due.
FWIW, it appears that info is for last cycle. :?
Padimud wrote: I hope your incredibly in depth research proves to be a trend of the past and not the present. I am thoroughly convinced it is not going to be March. No school wants to piss off every applicant by putting a goal for scholarship at the end of January and then not release till mid-March. That just seems like a deal-killer and marketing nightmare if you ask me. I am still going to be optimistic that we hear something mid-February. This letter that seems to be going out may be the letter with info as those who were not expecting money, didn't get it. And one who is may be a case of CU making an assumption he/she will not attend so why offer money. However for everyone's sake I hope it comes quickly and comes in large amounts.
Yeah, the data we know leaves me with more questions than answers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:49 pm

Dear CU Law,

So here I am with my finger on the Buy key to purchase a flight to Denver - but can't do it as without a little incentive $$$ as you can't compete with other offers. So CU if you would be so kind to send out scholarship information so I can book a flight I would appreciate it. Thank you for your timely response to this matter.

Sincerely,

Still believing "end of January" to be within 10 days of correct
Last edited by Padimud on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:56 pm

they cashed my check 1/15...

should I have heard back yet?

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Headybrah wrote:they cashed my check 1/15...

They deposited mine on 1/8. I e-mailed them two weeks later and they said they had not yet reviewed my application for completeness, but would contact me once they had. Still no word.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Headybrah wrote:they cashed my check 1/15...

They cashed my check 1/12 I think and I just heard back from them yesterday that my app is complete. They have a small admissions office so it can take a while, I wouldn't worry.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Anyone going to Women in Law day at CU this Saturday should pm me and we can meet up.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:44 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm new to this game: Will there be any obvious way of knowing if we don't get scholarship money? Will they send a letter to everyone letting them know what their tuition costs will be, or will only those receiving an award be contacted and the rest left to assume?

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:19 pm

From an email:

"We will be sending information concerning tuition and fees, housing, and other items of interest shortly. Please inform us of any address changes."

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:40 pm

Also received a big packet in the mail today. Included a letter with a little handwritten note from David Getches, Dean and Professor of NR law, along with the fall issue of the alumni magazine and instructions for logging into the admitted students website.

No scholarship info. :(

To those of you who are attending the Women in Law day this weekend, I hope it's interesting and look forward to hearing your thoughts about the campus!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:51 pm

I think you mean "handwritten" (then photocopied).

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 pm

KmissP wrote:I think you mean "handwritten" (then photocopied).
I'm pretty sure he actually wrote it by hand - blue ink fountain pen? Unlike the typed/printed areas, the handwriting made a small impression in the page. Just a short note jotted at the bottom of the letter with the signature. But maybe yours looks exactly the same! :)

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:13 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:Also received a big packet in the mail today. Included a letter with a little handwritten note from David Getches, Dean and Professor of NR law, along with the fall issue of the alumni magazine and instructions for logging into the admitted students website.

No scholarship info. :(

To those of you who are attending the Women in Law day this weekend, I hope it's interesting and look forward to hearing your thoughts about the campus!
+1 Also received the big packet today with the letter, magazine, and invitation to join the facebook group.

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:28 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
I'm pretty sure he actually wrote it by hand - blue ink fountain pen? Unlike the typed/printed areas, the handwriting made a small impression in the page. Just a short note jotted at the bottom of the letter with the signature. But maybe yours looks exactly the same! :)
I think I got the same message in blue ink fountain pen. But mine, upon inspection, looks like a high quality copy...
Maybe you got the original?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:32 pm

KmissP wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:
I think I got the same message in blue ink fountain pen. But mine, upon inspection, looks like a high quality copy...
Maybe you got the original?
haha... maybe you're right! about the copy part, I mean. who knows.

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 am

Mine got wet and the unphotocopied ink blurred.
That's a LOT of handwritten signatures and notes.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:38 am

Another question for admitted students: does the April 16 deposit deadline not seem a little early? It seems like most schools don't require a commitment until June, and I'm not even certain I'll have all my decisions rendered by that date. Anyone else a little concerned about this?

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:40 am

I think their applicant pool is large enough that they can be extra selective through encouraging only the people who REALLY want to attend to submit their deposit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”