In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nixxers

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby nixxers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Guys!!! Who is going to the upcoming asw. I am SO stoked. I have had an amazing time at Michigan so far and I feel like it is... game time or something. Harvard is going to have to put on a damn good show to beat this weekend... and I have no doubt that they will ^_^ I also have had so much fun meeting rando TLS'ers left and right so I am looking forward to meeting all of you!!! Woohoo!

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:12 pm

sayan wrote:
adameus wrote:
sayan wrote:
adameus wrote:Are there any internationals who have completed the Financial aid forms yet? If so, do you know where we would find the exchange rate we are supposed to use for converting our financial information into US Dollars?

Still waiting for income tax returns, but I wasn't aware you needed to do a conversion. If you do, I'd just email the financial aid office and ask which service they recommend. They always respond promptly and politely in my experience.

I will likely do that. I think they have a form which states which rate to use as I remember another Canadian student mentioning that to me during the ASW. He said the canadian rates were very favourable.

Favorable in which way? Wouldn't it be better if they were terribly unfavorable (i.e., less USD per CAD) so you can score more grant aid by having a lower USD income? I think the CAD was recently worth more than the USD, but now it has retreated back to about .97, thankfully.

I'm a Harvard admit, I'm not stupid :P Favourable in the sense that even though the market exchange was at .98 their listed rate was something like .90. anyways, I found the rate and it's not the case, it's updated daily. Not sure what that guy at the ASW was smoking...

MichelledeMontaigne

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:52 pm

nixxers wrote:Guys!!! Who is going to the upcoming asw. I am SO stoked. I have had an amazing time at Michigan so far and I feel like it is... game time or something. Harvard is going to have to put on a damn good show to beat this weekend... and I have no doubt that they will ^_^ I also have had so much fun meeting rando TLS'ers left and right so I am looking forward to meeting all of you!!! Woohoo!

Hell yeah Nixxers. The Harvard ASW was a blast, make you sure pick a good group to go out to dinner on Saturday night. Enjoy Cambridge and Boston.

Adameus: Here you can find the website that Harvard uses for exchange rates http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/myaid/apply/documents/incomedoc.html

Zara

Postby Zara » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:59 pm

just got my financial aid award! 28k in grants the rest in loans! I'm VERY happy about this! :D

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:04 pm

adameus wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:Got the aid package today. I was actually surprised it left me with essentially the same amount in loans as SLS.

is that good or bad?

It's "meh." It's a ton of debt, but not 100% loans. It's just what happens when you have parents who could foot the bill for college but are bowing out for law school. In both cases, I wasn't surprised. Also, I think it might be a good thing, because it'd be nice to know that I'm not losing money going to HLS over Stanford or vice versa (and it tips more in Harvard's favor, because I was expecting to get more money from Stanford).

Jury's still out though (harhar)--I'm headed to the admit weekends with an open mind.

sayan

Postby sayan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 pm

nixxers wrote:Guys!!! Who is going to the upcoming asw. I am SO stoked. I have had an amazing time at Michigan so far and I feel like it is... game time or something. Harvard is going to have to put on a damn good show to beat this weekend... and I have no doubt that they will ^_^ I also have had so much fun meeting rando TLS'ers left and right so I am looking forward to meeting all of you!!! Woohoo!

I'm headed to the upcoming April ASW. From what I heard about March's ASW, it should be a blast. :)

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:26 pm

haha we had a bit of TLS fail at the march one. adameus and I were even at the SAME table during the faculty lunch w/o meeting. something more formal should be organized; i went to the march one but i am in the neighborhood if something gets thrown together somehow :P

sayan

Postby sayan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:45 pm

englawyer wrote:

haha we had a bit of TLS fail at the march one. adameus and I were even at the SAME table during the faculty lunch w/o meeting. something more formal should be organized; i went to the march one but i am in the neighborhood if something gets thrown together somehow :P

:lol: What are the odds of that happening?

Maybe we can have a TLS meet on Saturday night after the student reception? Or do HLS students usually take the admits out to a pub or something?

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:23 am

englawyer wrote:haha we had a bit of TLS fail at the march one. adameus and I were even at the SAME table during the faculty lunch w/o meeting. something more formal should be organized; i went to the march one but i am in the neighborhood if something gets thrown together somehow :P

let me guess -- you were at lessig's table

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:20 am

clyde_barrow wrote:
englawyer wrote:haha we had a bit of TLS fail at the march one. adameus and I were even at the SAME table during the faculty lunch w/o meeting. something more formal should be organized; i went to the march one but i am in the neighborhood if something gets thrown together somehow :P

let me guess -- you were at lessig's table

nope; the table on internet law. it was very informative!

lz06

Postby lz06 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:23 am

I'll be thereeee!!! Very excited, I've never been to Boston before so I'm just hoping that I like it lol

lz06

Postby lz06 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Last edited by lz06 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:29 pm

lz06 wrote:So are jeans appropriate for ASW?

yes. And if you want to get Lessig's table you better be there damn early.

questions

Postby questions » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:36 pm

1. Anyone know if there are still spots open for the April ASW? Or do these things even fill up?
2. Also, can anyone post (or PM me) a basic schedule for the ASW? I need to get a flight!

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:15 pm

is anyone else staying with a student host? I'm so glad I got one...

sayan

Postby sayan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:46 pm

Yep. From my UG university as well. Harvard FTW.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:50 pm

What day does everyone get in? I'm getting there Friday around noon.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:43 pm

adameus wrote:

+1. I'd say of the first 12 people in the room, 8 of them sat at his table. I almost contemplated skipping the food line to claim a spot, but I made it anyway.

sayan

Postby sayan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:46 pm

lz06 wrote:What day does everyone get in? I'm getting there Friday around noon.

Friday around 1pm.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:05 pm

sayan wrote:

Friday around 1pm.

ditto.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:15 pm

owhlcn wrote:
sayan wrote:

Friday around 1pm.

ditto.

I get to Boston around 2:30 so probs won't actually get to Harvard until 3:30 or so?

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:33 pm

nixxers wrote:
owhlcn wrote:
sayan wrote:

Friday around 1pm.

ditto.

I get to Boston around 2:30 so probs won't actually get to Harvard until 3:30 or so?

that's a fair estimate if you are taking transit.

sayan

Postby sayan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:32 pm

Oops. Actually I'll be arriving on Saturday, April 10 at 1:00pm.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:35 pm

dutchstriker wrote:
adameus wrote:

+1. I'd say of the first 12 people in the room, 8 of them sat at his table. I almost contemplated skipping the food line to claim a spot, but I made it anyway.

hmm i don't know, dean minow's table filled up pretty fast too. hard to say which was more popular ;)

Zara

Postby Zara » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:08 pm

you guys are making me so jealous! I want to go too! too bad the flight would cost over a grand and I'd have to take off a week of work. stupid japan. :(

anyway does anyone know if the college certification HAS to be sent in that special envelope they gave us? also is it ok to fax that form with our signature to the school for them to fill out? Being abroad not only keeps me from fun stuff like the ASW but it makes shit like this extra special annoying. :x

if we have questions are we meant to contact JR or is there someone else we should be bugging with stuff like this? i cant find the contact on the website......so i decided to bug all of you first.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”