In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bluedolphins
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:31 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby bluedolphins » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:47 am

nixxers wrote:I asked a while ago but no one answered - anyone else here deferring? I am still not 100% decided on harvard but it would be cool if there were others looking at joining the class of 2014 :)


That idea is still at the back of my mind. I want to travel some more. What are you planning on doing?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:52 am

bluedolphins wrote:
nixxers wrote:I asked a while ago but no one answered - anyone else here deferring? I am still not 100% decided on harvard but it would be cool if there were others looking at joining the class of 2014 :)


That idea is still at the back of my mind. I want to travel some more. What are you planning on doing?


before i was pretty sure id be c/o 2013, but now there is a really small chance i might defer for personal reasons (SO and when her grad school starts, etc.)...hmm...

User avatar
skynet
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby skynet » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:58 am

Just got my travel reimbursement from ASW. Earlier than expected.

It's a small thing, but after dealing with schools that cannot handle the simplest admin tasks, it feels really good to work with HLS, who is totally on top of things.

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby nixxers » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 am

bluedolphins wrote:
nixxers wrote:I asked a while ago but no one answered - anyone else here deferring? I am still not 100% decided on harvard but it would be cool if there were others looking at joining the class of 2014 :)


That idea is still at the back of my mind. I want to travel some more. What are you planning on doing?


Yeah, I'm so glad to be taking some time away from school... If I had know how I feel now, I might not have even applied this cycle. :P But I'm working at Expo 2010 in the USA National Pavilion for the second half of the expo, and then kind of winging it/looking for English teaching jobs somewhere else in China for the rest of the year.

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby lz06 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:57 am

Does anyone know if we have to pay to apply for housing, or is that only after you select where you want to live? I would consider living in a dorm but only if I got North... no gropius for me. I was also wondering if we could apply for dorms as well as HRES because I would consider doing that also.

User avatar
T14
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby T14 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:12 pm

nixxers wrote:I asked a while ago but no one answered - anyone else here deferring? I am still not 100% decided on harvard but it would be cool if there were others looking at joining the class of 2014 :)



I already sent in my deposit and deferred one year. It was mainly for personal reasons (similar to DoubleChecks above post about S/O). I am planning to pick up an M.A. over the 16 months from April 2010 - September 2011. The process was pretty straightforward; they were very accomodating! :)

mozhou7
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby mozhou7 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:47 pm

nixxers wrote:
bluedolphins wrote:
nixxers wrote:I asked a while ago but no one answered - anyone else here deferring? I am still not 100% decided on harvard but it would be cool if there were others looking at joining the class of 2014 :)


That idea is still at the back of my mind. I want to travel some more. What are you planning on doing?


Yeah, I'm so glad to be taking some time away from school... If I had know how I feel now, I might not have even applied this cycle. :P But I'm working at Expo 2010 in the USA National Pavilion for the second half of the expo, and then kind of winging it/looking for English teaching jobs somewhere else in China for the rest of the year.


Just sent in my deferal request yesterday. I am planning on teaching in rural China for the year & fundraising for the construction of a school. C/O 2014!

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:51 pm

I stayed in off campus housing facilitated by HLS, and the amenities seemed incredibly nice actually.

However, I think an off-campus single would put a serious dent in your wallet. I suspect I can get all of my studying done in the library (which, by the way, is the most amazing building I've ever seen at any institution) without too much trouble.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:53 pm

nixxers wrote:
bluedolphins wrote:
nixxers wrote:I asked a while ago but no one answered - anyone else here deferring? I am still not 100% decided on harvard but it would be cool if there were others looking at joining the class of 2014 :)


That idea is still at the back of my mind. I want to travel some more. What are you planning on doing?


Yeah, I'm so glad to be taking some time away from school... If I had know how I feel now, I might not have even applied this cycle. :P But I'm working at Expo 2010 in the USA National Pavilion for the second half of the expo, and then kind of winging it/looking for English teaching jobs somewhere else in China for the rest of the year.


hey ill be going to that this summer -- when is the second half of the expo, dates-wise? lol

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby nixxers » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:08 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
nixxers wrote:
bluedolphins wrote:
nixxers wrote:I asked a while ago but no one answered - anyone else here deferring? I am still not 100% decided on harvard but it would be cool if there were others looking at joining the class of 2014 :)


That idea is still at the back of my mind. I want to travel some more. What are you planning on doing?


Yeah, I'm so glad to be taking some time away from school... If I had know how I feel now, I might not have even applied this cycle. :P But I'm working at Expo 2010 in the USA National Pavilion for the second half of the expo, and then kind of winging it/looking for English teaching jobs somewhere else in China for the rest of the year.


hey ill be going to that this summer -- when is the second half of the expo, dates-wise? lol


lol really?? i'll be there week of july 11 through the first week of november (they haven't figured out the precise dates of my flights yet). any chance we'll overlap? :D

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Whether you agree with her or not, Professor Warren is a badass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/busin ... en.html?hp

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby adameus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:46 pm

ConMan345 wrote:Whether you agree with her or not, Professor Warren is a badass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/busin ... en.html?hp


she was epic in the mock class I attended at the ASW.

knola002
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:36 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby knola002 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:43 pm

ConMan345 wrote:Whether you agree with her or not, Professor Warren is a badass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/busin ... en.html?hp
I kind of hope she doesn't get the job so I can take classes with her.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:46 pm

adameus wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:Whether you agree with her or not, Professor Warren is a badass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/busin ... en.html?hp


she was epic in the mock class I attended at the ASW.


dude she just spent the hour pwning us mercilessly. i would be scared to death to come to one her classes without knowing the reading cold.

Zara
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Zara » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 pm

lz06 wrote:Does anyone know if we have to pay to apply for housing, or is that only after you select where you want to live? I would consider living in a dorm but only if I got North... no gropius for me. I was also wondering if we could apply for dorms as well as HRES because I would consider doing that also.


according to the website you can apply to both dorms and HRES. I already filled out the application for HRES. A few days after you fill out the application they will send you a viewing window where you can check out and select the apartment you are interested in. I should get my window soon and I'll let you know what it looks like. There are no prices listed on the HRES website but there is a roommate finder thing on there that allows you to search for someone to live with and most of them list how much the rent and utilities would be on their profile. I want to live in North too, but the only affordable room (for me) is the small and there arent many of them. So I'm checking HRES to see if they have any studios that I can afford in case North doesn't work out.

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby lz06 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:59 pm

Zara wrote:
lz06 wrote:Does anyone know if we have to pay to apply for housing, or is that only after you select where you want to live? I would consider living in a dorm but only if I got North... no gropius for me. I was also wondering if we could apply for dorms as well as HRES because I would consider doing that also.


according to the website you can apply to both dorms and HRES. I already filled out the application for HRES. A few days after you fill out the application they will send you a viewing window where you can check out and select the apartment you are interested in. I should get my window soon and I'll let you know what it looks like. There are no prices listed on the HRES website but there is a roommate finder thing on there that allows you to search for someone to live with and most of them list how much the rent and utilities would be on their profile. I want to live in North too, but the only affordable room (for me) is the small and there arent many of them. So I'm checking HRES to see if they have any studios that I can afford in case North doesn't work out.


Thanks for the reply. I'm confused I thought there was a lottery system for HRES? I didn't know it was first come first serve, damn I am definitely not seat depositing until at least after ASW :|

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby adameus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:12 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
adameus wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:Whether you agree with her or not, Professor Warren is a badass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/busin ... en.html?hp


she was epic in the mock class I attended at the ASW.


dude she just spent the hour pwning us mercilessly. i would be scared to death to come to one her classes without knowing the reading cold.


I don't know, I loved it, I felt like I learned so much more than if she would have just taught us the material in a powerpoint presentation.

Zara
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Zara » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:21 pm

lz06 wrote:
Zara wrote:
lz06 wrote:Does anyone know if we have to pay to apply for housing, or is that only after you select where you want to live? I would consider living in a dorm but only if I got North... no gropius for me. I was also wondering if we could apply for dorms as well as HRES because I would consider doing that also.


according to the website you can apply to both dorms and HRES. I already filled out the application for HRES. A few days after you fill out the application they will send you a viewing window where you can check out and select the apartment you are interested in. I should get my window soon and I'll let you know what it looks like. There are no prices listed on the HRES website but there is a roommate finder thing on there that allows you to search for someone to live with and most of them list how much the rent and utilities would be on their profile. I want to live in North too, but the only affordable room (for me) is the small and there arent many of them. So I'm checking HRES to see if they have any studios that I can afford in case North doesn't work out.


Thanks for the reply. I'm confused I thought there was a lottery system for HRES? I didn't know it was first come first serve, damn I am definitely not seat depositing until at least after ASW :|


i think it is a lottery, but it is a little different from the lottery for dorms. If you apply after the lottery you still can get an apartment, you just get a window in which to look and select that is after the initial lottery people (i think!). After the peak period you can view and select from what is remaining at any time. The peak period is March 1st to the end of April. You can apply at any time, and you don't have to wait for your seat deposit or anything. It is not binding until you sign your lease and there is no fee for the application. That is what I've gotten from the website at least. I could be wrong. Anyway i hope that was at least a little helpful. If anyone knows more about it, I'd like to hear what you think as well.

here's the link of FAQs http://harvardlive.yardiportaln.net/Pro ... aspx#faq16

and here is a chart of the rent ranges that I found...most of them do not look affordable at all :( http://harvardlive.yardiportaln.net/Doc ... osting.pdf

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:24 pm

adameus wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
adameus wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:Whether you agree with her or not, Professor Warren is a badass.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/busin ... en.html?hp


she was epic in the mock class I attended at the ASW.


dude she just spent the hour pwning us mercilessly. i would be scared to death to come to one her classes without knowing the reading cold.


I don't know, I loved it, I felt like I learned so much more than if she would have just taught us the material in a powerpoint presentation.


Personally, I love wickedly Socratic profs. It's so exciting!

cflames7
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:30 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby cflames7 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Three things:

1. Iggy rocks my world.
2. I am going to the Expo too (I haven't decided if i will go in May or defer at Harvard and go in Sept). I wish I would have thought about this early, working the Expo could have been an amazing experience.
3. Harvard rocks my world, too.

User avatar
Isa
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:03 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Isa » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:58 pm

Going to the Expo as well...is anyone else gonna be in Shanghai May 19-27?

s419
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby s419 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 am

Received a really generous financial aid offer last night ($28,000 in grants). I have kind of a unique situation, but if anyone wants details, just PM me.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:44 am

s419 wrote:Received a really generous financial aid offer last night ($28,000 in grants). I have kind of a unique situation, but if anyone wants details, just PM me.


details please? thanks!

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby lz06 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Zara wrote:i think it is a lottery, but it is a little different from the lottery for dorms. If you apply after the lottery you still can get an apartment, you just get a window in which to look and select that is after the initial lottery people (i think!). After the peak period you can view and select from what is remaining at any time. The peak period is March 1st to the end of April. You can apply at any time, and you don't have to wait for your seat deposit or anything. It is not binding until you sign your lease and there is no fee for the application. That is what I've gotten from the website at least. I could be wrong. Anyway i hope that was at least a little helpful. If anyone knows more about it, I'd like to hear what you think as well.

here's the link of FAQs http://harvardlive.yardiportaln.net/Pro ... aspx#faq16

and here is a chart of the rent ranges that I found...most of them do not look affordable at all :( http://harvardlive.yardiportaln.net/Doc ... osting.pdf


Thanks for the heads up, I went ahead and applied also. And yea those rates are horrible. A studio in Terry Terrace seems affordable though. I am really set on living alone my first year but these prices are scaring me :shock:

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:05 pm

nixxers wrote:lol really?? i'll be there week of july 11 through the first week of november (they haven't figured out the precise dates of my flights yet). any chance we'll overlap? :D


aw shame :( -- ill be in shanghai pretty much throughout the month of june




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”