In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Zara

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Zara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:52 am

psychomohel wrote:What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?

I'm going to live on campus for the first year because i really don't want to deal with trying to get an apartment from japan. I'll probably try to get in either north hall or hastings. Gropius just seems too distracting to me and i really don't like communal bathrooms.

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:49 am

I am planning to live on campus for the same reason (I am in China right now). I am not sure which building yet.

sayan

Postby sayan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:50 am

Zara wrote:
psychomohel wrote:What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?

I'm going to live on campus for the first year because i really don't want to deal with trying to get an apartment from japan. I'll probably try to get in either north hall or hastings. Gropius just seems too distracting to me and i really don't like communal bathrooms.

I thought availability was through a lottery process...?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 am

off campus 1BR with my s.o.; found a place in porter sq for $1200/mo, or $600 each which i am pretty happy with.

Zara

Postby Zara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:19 am

sayan wrote:
Zara wrote:

I thought availability was through a lottery process...?

it is but you get a number and the number determines when you get to pick where you want to live. so basically you get to choose from whatever is left when it is your turn. At least i'm pretty sure that's how it works.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 am

are any of you guys able to access the housing application via your email user name and password? i'm not, and i'd certainly like to be included in the on-campus lottery.

Zara

Postby Zara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:are any of you guys able to access the housing application via your email user name and password? i'm not, and i'd certainly like to be included in the on-campus lottery.

i don't think any of us can access it yet and from what I understand, the housing lottery doesn't start until after the seat deposit deadline. Maybe once we pay the deposit we'll have access.

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:30 am

sayan wrote:Off campus solo for the first year. Don't want any distractions or unpleasant surprises before I settle in.

I'm in the same boat. Was originally hoping to move up with the SO, but that ended. Have people started looking for housing yet or is it too early?

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:31 am

Zara wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:are any of you guys able to access the housing application via your email user name and password? i'm not, and i'd certainly like to be included in the on-campus lottery.

i don't think any of us can access it yet and from what I understand, the housing lottery doesn't start until after the seat deposit deadline. Maybe once we pay the deposit we'll have access.

is that really true? i am fairly certain that applications open on april 1, while the deposit deadline isnt for another month after that

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
is that really true? i am fairly certain that applications open on april 1, while the deposit deadline isnt for another month after that

I looked at their site a while ago and remember it opening around April 12th.

Zara

Postby Zara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:54 am

Zara wrote:

the housing application is available on April 5th and due on April 26th. the lottery emails go out on may 10th. The room selection rounds are may 11th (#s 1-110) and may 13th (111-220).

here is the link to the information on the site: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... dates.html

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:57 am

Zara wrote:
Zara wrote:

the housing application is available on April 5th and due on April 26th. the lottery emails go out on may 10th. The room selection rounds are may 11th (#s 1-110) and may 13th (111-220).

here is the link to the information on the site: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... dates.html

yeah, so we have to figure that the applications will be available soon, no?

i am really hoping not to have a terrible gropius hole in the wall room next year

fingerscrossed88

Postby fingerscrossed88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:47 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote: i am really hoping not to have a terrible gropius hole in the wall room next year

Me too!! Anything but those 8x10 rooms with communal bathrooms ... I thought about trying to find an off-campus apartment, because I'm tired of having had to move in and out of places every year for the last four years and it would be nice to have an apartment for longer than 9 months, but I think I'd also like to be in Hastings or North and meet some of you all :) I don't have the slightest idea how to get a roommate, either.

Are any of you looking at the 2BR/1 living room suites in Hastings? If you choose those rooms, do they assign you a roommate or can you enter the housing lottery with another person?

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 pm

englawyer wrote:

off campus 1BR with my s.o.; found a place in porter sq for $1200/mo, or $600 each which i am pretty happy with.

how far is that from the school? I need a place for my wife and I, but i would ideally like to be walking distance to Harvard.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:31 pm

adameus wrote:
englawyer wrote:

how far is that from the school? I need a place for my wife and I, but i would ideally like to be walking distance to Harvard.

its close to the porter square train stop, which is in turn 1 train stop to harvard. directly from the apartment to the school is roughly 1/2 mile i believe?

i would argue that proximity to the T is even more important than proximity to HLS because that way you can easily do other things in cambridge/boston. HLS is of course also close to harvard sq t stop though, its just you will be paying a premium for proximity to harvard sq

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:43 pm

englawyer wrote:
adameus wrote:
englawyer wrote:

its close to the porter square train stop, which is in turn 1 train stop to harvard. directly from the apartment to the school is roughly 1/2 mile i believe?

i would argue that proximity to the T is even more important than proximity to HLS because that way you can easily do other things in cambridge/boston. HLS is of course also close to harvard sq t stop though, its just you will be paying a premium for proximity to harvard sq

yeah I heavily relied on the T while I was at the ASW so one stop away is definetely close enough. Do harvard students get free transit?

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Hastings has community bathrooms, too...

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:22 pm

adameus wrote:
yeah I heavily relied on the T while I was at the ASW so one stop away is definetely close enough. Do harvard students get free transit?

i dont think h students get free transit. monthly cost for a t-pass is $59

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:49 pm

dutchstriker wrote:Hastings has community bathrooms, too...

really? i could have sworn that wasn't the case during the residential tour at asw.

if that is the case, you may as well live in gropius i think.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:07 pm

really? i could have sworn that wasn't the case during the residential tour at asw.

I stayed in Hastings when I visited, so at least my "wing" or whatever had community bathrooms. I think they were only shared amongst six or so students each, though.

s419

Postby s419 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:08 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:dutchstriker wrote:
Hastings has community bathrooms, too...

Hastings seems to be community bathrooms shared about 2-3 of the apartments (so between 4-6 people). Not ideal, but not quite hall bathrooms like Gropius. I found the bathroom pretty depressing in the unit I was shown, but somewhat limited sharing is a little more promising than hall style bathrooms.

fingerscrossed88

Postby fingerscrossed88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:48 pm

s419 wrote:Hastings seems to be community bathrooms shared about 2-3 of the apartments (so between 4-6 people). Not ideal, but not quite hall bathrooms like Gropius. I found the bathroom pretty depressing in the unit I was shown, but somewhat limited sharing is a little more promising than hall style bathrooms.

Right, that's what I thought too. I haven't visited yet, so things will obviously crystallize once I see for myself, but my feeling was that that would be better than having to share with, say, 20 people.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:48 pm

sayan wrote:Off campus solo for the first year. Don't want any distractions or unpleasant surprises before I settle in.

+1

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Also, be aware that the showers in Hastings are what I would imagine gas chambers to look like.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:36 am

I asked a while ago but no one answered - anyone else here deferring? I am still not 100% decided on harvard but it would be cool if there were others looking at joining the class of 2014 :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”