In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Zara
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Zara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:52 am

psychomohel wrote:What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?


I'm going to live on campus for the first year because i really don't want to deal with trying to get an apartment from japan. I'll probably try to get in either north hall or hastings. Gropius just seems too distracting to me and i really don't like communal bathrooms.

User avatar
bluedolphins
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:31 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby bluedolphins » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:49 am

I am planning to live on campus for the same reason (I am in China right now). I am not sure which building yet.

User avatar
sayan
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:05 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby sayan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:50 am

Zara wrote:
psychomohel wrote:What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?


I'm going to live on campus for the first year because i really don't want to deal with trying to get an apartment from japan. I'll probably try to get in either north hall or hastings. Gropius just seems too distracting to me and i really don't like communal bathrooms.


I thought availability was through a lottery process...?

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby englawyer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 am

psychomohel wrote:What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?


off campus 1BR with my s.o.; found a place in porter sq for $1200/mo, or $600 each which i am pretty happy with.

Zara
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Zara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:19 am

sayan wrote:
Zara wrote:
psychomohel wrote:What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?


I'm going to live on campus for the first year because i really don't want to deal with trying to get an apartment from japan. I'll probably try to get in either north hall or hastings. Gropius just seems too distracting to me and i really don't like communal bathrooms.


I thought availability was through a lottery process...?


it is but you get a number and the number determines when you get to pick where you want to live. so basically you get to choose from whatever is left when it is your turn. At least i'm pretty sure that's how it works.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 am

are any of you guys able to access the housing application via your email user name and password? i'm not, and i'd certainly like to be included in the on-campus lottery.

Zara
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Zara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:are any of you guys able to access the housing application via your email user name and password? i'm not, and i'd certainly like to be included in the on-campus lottery.


i don't think any of us can access it yet and from what I understand, the housing lottery doesn't start until after the seat deposit deadline. Maybe once we pay the deposit we'll have access.

psychomohel
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby psychomohel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:30 am

sayan wrote:Off campus solo for the first year. Don't want any distractions or unpleasant surprises before I settle in.


I'm in the same boat. Was originally hoping to move up with the SO, but that ended. Have people started looking for housing yet or is it too early?

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:31 am

Zara wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:are any of you guys able to access the housing application via your email user name and password? i'm not, and i'd certainly like to be included in the on-campus lottery.


i don't think any of us can access it yet and from what I understand, the housing lottery doesn't start until after the seat deposit deadline. Maybe once we pay the deposit we'll have access.


is that really true? i am fairly certain that applications open on april 1, while the deposit deadline isnt for another month after that

psychomohel
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby psychomohel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
is that really true? i am fairly certain that applications open on april 1, while the deposit deadline isnt for another month after that


I looked at their site a while ago and remember it opening around April 12th.

Zara
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Zara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:54 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Zara wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:are any of you guys able to access the housing application via your email user name and password? i'm not, and i'd certainly like to be included in the on-campus lottery.


i don't think any of us can access it yet and from what I understand, the housing lottery doesn't start until after the seat deposit deadline. Maybe once we pay the deposit we'll have access.


is that really true? i am fairly certain that applications open on april 1, while the deposit deadline isnt for another month after that


the housing application is available on April 5th and due on April 26th. the lottery emails go out on may 10th. The room selection rounds are may 11th (#s 1-110) and may 13th (111-220).

here is the link to the information on the site: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... dates.html

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:57 am

Zara wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Zara wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:are any of you guys able to access the housing application via your email user name and password? i'm not, and i'd certainly like to be included in the on-campus lottery.


i don't think any of us can access it yet and from what I understand, the housing lottery doesn't start until after the seat deposit deadline. Maybe once we pay the deposit we'll have access.


is that really true? i am fairly certain that applications open on april 1, while the deposit deadline isnt for another month after that


the housing application is available on April 5th and due on April 26th. the lottery emails go out on may 10th. The room selection rounds are may 11th (#s 1-110) and may 13th (111-220).

here is the link to the information on the site: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... dates.html


yeah, so we have to figure that the applications will be available soon, no?

i am really hoping not to have a terrible gropius hole in the wall room next year

fingerscrossed88
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby fingerscrossed88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:47 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote: i am really hoping not to have a terrible gropius hole in the wall room next year


Me too!! Anything but those 8x10 rooms with communal bathrooms ... I thought about trying to find an off-campus apartment, because I'm tired of having had to move in and out of places every year for the last four years and it would be nice to have an apartment for longer than 9 months, but I think I'd also like to be in Hastings or North and meet some of you all :) I don't have the slightest idea how to get a roommate, either.

Are any of you looking at the 2BR/1 living room suites in Hastings? If you choose those rooms, do they assign you a roommate or can you enter the housing lottery with another person?

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 pm

englawyer wrote:
psychomohel wrote:What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?


off campus 1BR with my s.o.; found a place in porter sq for $1200/mo, or $600 each which i am pretty happy with.


how far is that from the school? I need a place for my wife and I, but i would ideally like to be walking distance to Harvard.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby englawyer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:31 pm

adameus wrote:
englawyer wrote:
psychomohel wrote:What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?


off campus 1BR with my s.o.; found a place in porter sq for $1200/mo, or $600 each which i am pretty happy with.


how far is that from the school? I need a place for my wife and I, but i would ideally like to be walking distance to Harvard.


its close to the porter square train stop, which is in turn 1 train stop to harvard. directly from the apartment to the school is roughly 1/2 mile i believe?

i would argue that proximity to the T is even more important than proximity to HLS because that way you can easily do other things in cambridge/boston. HLS is of course also close to harvard sq t stop though, its just you will be paying a premium for proximity to harvard sq

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:43 pm

englawyer wrote:
adameus wrote:
englawyer wrote:
psychomohel wrote:What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?


off campus 1BR with my s.o.; found a place in porter sq for $1200/mo, or $600 each which i am pretty happy with.


how far is that from the school? I need a place for my wife and I, but i would ideally like to be walking distance to Harvard.


its close to the porter square train stop, which is in turn 1 train stop to harvard. directly from the apartment to the school is roughly 1/2 mile i believe?

i would argue that proximity to the T is even more important than proximity to HLS because that way you can easily do other things in cambridge/boston. HLS is of course also close to harvard sq t stop though, its just you will be paying a premium for proximity to harvard sq



yeah I heavily relied on the T while I was at the ASW so one stop away is definetely close enough. Do harvard students get free transit?

User avatar
dutchstriker
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Hastings has community bathrooms, too...

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby englawyer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:22 pm

adameus wrote:
yeah I heavily relied on the T while I was at the ASW so one stop away is definetely close enough. Do harvard students get free transit?


i dont think h students get free transit. monthly cost for a t-pass is $59

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:49 pm

dutchstriker wrote:Hastings has community bathrooms, too...


really? i could have sworn that wasn't the case during the residential tour at asw.

if that is the case, you may as well live in gropius i think.

User avatar
dutchstriker
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:07 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:Hastings has community bathrooms, too...


really? i could have sworn that wasn't the case during the residential tour at asw.

if that is the case, you may as well live in gropius i think.

I stayed in Hastings when I visited, so at least my "wing" or whatever had community bathrooms. I think they were only shared amongst six or so students each, though.

s419
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby s419 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:08 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:dutchstriker wrote:
Hastings has community bathrooms, too...


really? i could have sworn that wasn't the case during the residential tour at asw.

if that is the case, you may as well live in gropius i think.
dutchstriker wrote:Hastings has community bathrooms, too...


really? i could have sworn that wasn't the case during the residential tour at asw.

if that is the case, you may as well live in gropius i think.


Hastings seems to be community bathrooms shared about 2-3 of the apartments (so between 4-6 people). Not ideal, but not quite hall bathrooms like Gropius. I found the bathroom pretty depressing in the unit I was shown, but somewhat limited sharing is a little more promising than hall style bathrooms.

fingerscrossed88
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby fingerscrossed88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:48 pm

s419 wrote:Hastings seems to be community bathrooms shared about 2-3 of the apartments (so between 4-6 people). Not ideal, but not quite hall bathrooms like Gropius. I found the bathroom pretty depressing in the unit I was shown, but somewhat limited sharing is a little more promising than hall style bathrooms.


Right, that's what I thought too. I haven't visited yet, so things will obviously crystallize once I see for myself, but my feeling was that that would be better than having to share with, say, 20 people.

owhlcn
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby owhlcn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:48 pm

sayan wrote:Off campus solo for the first year. Don't want any distractions or unpleasant surprises before I settle in.


+1

User avatar
dutchstriker
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Also, be aware that the showers in Hastings are what I would imagine gas chambers to look like.

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby nixxers » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:36 am

I asked a while ago but no one answered - anyone else here deferring? I am still not 100% decided on harvard but it would be cool if there were others looking at joining the class of 2014 :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: caitlinrw, eastring, Google [Bot], mav1993, mike90018, nathjf, nslaw123, potterotter, sonyco, tinafeyclone and 19 guests