In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
janer

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby janer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:25 pm

englawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:
knola002 wrote:Got my finaid offer today. 70k in loans . . . yay :P

so no grants at all?

70k loan package for me as well :( (no grants)

+1. I think this may end my dream of going to Harvard.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:28 pm

janer wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:

so no grants at all?

you're not willing to take on that debt?

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:32 pm

janer wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:

so no grants at all?

I dunno, even with 175,000+ in debt, I don't really see too much of a problem paying it off after graduating from Harvard.

Also, I don't think you'll have to spend 71,000 each year at Harvard, even if thats what they estimate it at. Thats a quite high estimate on COL.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 pm

janer wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:

so no grants at all?

calm down everyone. we are not going to end up in debtor's prison.

first, the 70k is a little inflated. it is not necessary to take out all that debt if you want to be cheap. i would say 65k is sufficient, so you are looking at 195k nominally.

then during 1L, they guarantee a stipend for public interest work of $500/wk (SPIF) so that takes off $5,000 roughly.
then you can work part-time for kaplan or whatever to make around $1k/mo so another $10k/yr.
then you can estimate 30k for 2L summer funding.

thus: 195 - 5 - 30- 30 = 130k of debt upon graduation. it is quite a bit, but not outrageous 8)

knola002

Postby knola002 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Na_Swatch wrote: Also, I don't think you'll have to spend 71,000 each year at Harvard, even if thats what they estimate it at. Thats a quite high estimate on COL.
You forget the mandatory "bring your own caviar" section parties. HLS is classy like that.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:38 pm

janer

Postby janer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:56 pm

englawyer wrote:
janer wrote:+1. I think this may end my dream of going to Harvard.

calm down everyone. we are not going to end up in debtor's prison.

first, the 70k is a little inflated. it is not necessary to take out all that debt if you want to be cheap. i would say 65k is sufficient, so you are looking at 195k nominally.

then during 1L, they guarantee a stipend for public interest work of $500/wk (SPIF) so that takes off $5,000 roughly.
then you can work part-time for kaplan or whatever to make around $1k/mo so another $10k/yr.

thus: 195 - 5 - 30- 30 = 130k of debt upon graduation. it is quite a bit, but not outrageous 8)

But I could go to a lower T10 school and graduate with hardly any debt. Based on my career goals, I don't think HLS is worth the extra $130K.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:48 pm

janer wrote:But I could go to a lower T10 school and graduate with hardly any debt. Based on my career goals, I don't think HLS is worth the extra $130K.

curious about this sentiment; what are your career goals?

Zara

Postby Zara » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:03 pm

thus: 195 - 5 - 30- 30 = 130k of debt upon graduation. it is quite a bit, but not outrageous

I'm not sure about that. $500 a week won't take off 5k from your debt because you still have to pay to live during the summer. The cost of living is only assessed for 9 months. The summer isn't covered under the loans so whatever you make during the summer will have to support you for those 3 months. Sure you can probably save a bit especially if you can find public interest work that pays a little but if you are living in any major city, you likely won't be able to save much.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Zara wrote:

thus: 195 - 5 - 30- 30 = 130k of debt upon graduation. it is quite a bit, but not outrageous

I'm not sure about that. $500 a week won't take off 5k from your debt because you still have to pay to live during the summer. The cost of living is only assessed for 9 months. The summer isn't covered under the loans so whatever you make during the summer will have to support you for those 3 months. Sure you can probably save a bit especially if you can find public interest work that pays a little but if you are living in any major city, you likely won't be able to save much.

yaya, you caught me fudging a bit. i am now motivated to study for the patent bar so i can get a nicely paid 1L summer gig :)

chelita

Postby chelita » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:00 pm

I'm currently living abroad so my admissions packet went to my parent's house and they can't find it now (v. annoying!). I have the link to the online viewbook, but was wondering if anyone has the link to the admitted students website? (Is there one?) I am curious about things like housing for next year and want to find out more info.
Thanks for your help!

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:31 pm

chelita wrote:I'm currently living abroad so my admissions packet went to my parent's house and they can't find it now (v. annoying!). I have the link to the online viewbook, but was wondering if anyone has the link to the admitted students website? (Is there one?) I am curious about things like housing for next year and want to find out more info.
Thanks for your help!

you'll need a special "Initialization" code or something of that sort that is unique to you and should come in your package. I think your best bet is probably just to email the admissions office, explain the situation and ask for your login and code to the admitted students site.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:45 pm

adameus wrote:
chelita wrote:I'm currently living abroad so my admissions packet went to my parent's house and they can't find it now (v. annoying!). I have the link to the online viewbook, but was wondering if anyone has the link to the admitted students website? (Is there one?) I am curious about things like housing for next year and want to find out more info.
Thanks for your help!

you'll need a special "Initialization" code or something of that sort that is unique to you and should come in your package. I think your best bet is probably just to email the admissions office, explain the situation and ask for your login and code to the admitted students site.

I did this and they told me they don't keep records of it for security reasons and that I would just have to wait for the packet :|

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:19 pm

lz06 wrote:
adameus wrote:
Thanks for your help!

I did this and they told me they don't keep records of it for security reasons and that I would just have to wait for the packet :|

I find it hard to believe there isn't something that can be done if the packet is lost... the IT people have to be able to create a new code or whatever. Maybe your parents are just trying to sabotage you going to Harvard?

rupert.pupkin

Postby rupert.pupkin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Where can I find this country with no income taxes/social security/medicare?

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks for your help!

The admitted student website is
http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... index.html

You will need your user name to log in: if the name is Harry Smith, the user name is hsmith.jd13 and the password is your LSAC account number.

Hope this helps.

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:29 pm

adameus wrote:
lz06 wrote:
adameus wrote:
Thanks for your help!

I find it hard to believe there isn't something that can be done if the packet is lost... the IT people have to be able to create a new code or whatever. Maybe your parents are just trying to sabotage you going to Harvard?

We have a special initialization code?

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 pm

bluedolphins wrote:
We have a special initialization code?

the first time you logged in an initialization code was required. You can forget about it after that.

chelita

Postby chelita » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 pm

I emailed the admissions office and they said they can't send me another packet, sigh. I guess I will have to get all my information about HLS from TLS, haha. Thanks guys!

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:55 pm

I'll be sending in my deposit check in the next week or so I think. Hope to see you all in August!

sayan

Postby sayan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Same here. We should have a TLS meet at the beginning of the semester to keep up the tradition :D

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:30 pm

GeePee wrote:I'll be sending in my deposit check in the next week or so I think. Hope to see you all in August!

congrats on the end of the cycle!

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:19 pm

GeePee wrote:I'll be sending in my deposit check in the next week or so I think. Hope to see you all in August!

haha +1 me too, see you guys in Cambridge

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:59 pm

What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?

sayan

Postby sayan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:11 am

Off campus solo for the first year. Don't want any distractions or unpleasant surprises before I settle in.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”