In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
englawyer

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby englawyer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:37 am

skynet wrote:I noticed that Boston/Cambridge craigslist is littered with spammy apt. listings and ads for agents. Is using an agent considered the normal way to find an apt there or should I just exclude all of those ads when searching?

i would first try to focus on no-fee apartments because it is done sometimes. if you can't find anything though, you might need to use an agent. I believe we paid "1/2 fee" for our current place. wait until the summer and a number of places should open up.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:35 pm

englawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:for those of you who are pretty much sure you are going to HLS, what do you plan to do for housing?

off-campus apt w/ girlfriend. I have been in a Cambridge for a while, although we live in a somewhat sketchy studio. I might be upgrading a bit for law school to a 1BR, which will be around $1300 in Cambridge. Not cheap but not too bad for 2 people to share.

i lived 4 miles outside of boston for two years so I know the prices are pretty steep. I never lived in cambridge though and didnt really spend too much time there so can you recommend some good cheap places? I'm not against taking taking the T as long as it is not ridiculously far. any advice would be great! I have to find an apartment from Japan (won't be back in the states until August 1st) so i want to get as much information about it as possible since i can't visit.

Sure. I will assume you are living by yourself, so I will focus on roommates/studio in addition to "cool" neighborhoods that are convenient to HLS. Specifically, I will mention those that are on the "red line" for super-convenient living.

Alewife is the last stop on the red-line. There are a number of apt/condo complexes here, but not much else. It is a little cheaper than Davis/Porter I believe. 3 stops to Harvard which is still a nice commute if you find a good place.

Davis Square is on the red-line, and thus very convenient to Harvard (2 stops). It had a renaissance of sorts in the 90's after the station was put in, and is know a solidly yuppie neighborhood. It is kind of funky though because it has a weird blend with its working class roots. Prices will generally be 600-700 to share an apartment with roommates or 1300 for a 1-BR. Davis has a clean-cut even suburban feel which can be a plus/minus for you (there are a ton of strollers going around).

--LinkRemoved--

Porter Square is also on the red-line, and is even closer to Harvard (1 stop away). It is a more "generic/shopping center" neighborhood than Davis (seems to revolve around Shaw's) but still has some stuff to do and it is easy to get to better entertainment due to the train. Similar prices to Davis:

--LinkRemoved--

Harvard Square is obviously the most convenient, but tends to be a bit more pricey than the other places (say more like 700-800 for sharing an apartment, or 1500 for 1BR). It also has the most stuff "to do" around the area. It is a more uppity neighborhood in general. The big plus would be that participating in the social scene would be very convenient.

Central Square is the most "city-ish" neighborhood of Cambridge. To me it feels like a watered-down Manhattan, complete with the dirtier streets and increased number of homeless people. It seems the most "real" of the Cambridge neighborhoods though, as the others I have mentioned are kind of fantasy-landish. One stop to Harvard (in the other direction). It is a little more pricey than Davis/Porter but not quite Harvard level:

--LinkRemoved--

Kendall is the MIT neighborhood. It seems a bit more dry than the other places and is very industrial (lots of businesses and whatnot). Price-wise it is comparable to Central Square, and is 2 stops in the other direction (towards Boston). A big plus of this neighborhood would be closer proximity to Boston proper, as it would be a hop, skip, and a jump to downtown Boston.

Other neighborhoods (off the Redline):

"Area 4" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_4,_Cambridge

this place is the cheapest of all Cambridge, and is where I live in a studio for ~ $1000 total. There is a bus route to Harvard, and it is generally a 5-10 minute walk to Central or Kendall square. The downside is that it is dominated by low-income housing projects so it is nearly the opposite of Davis Square (socio-economically diverse, etc) and far from a "fantasy land" type place. Plenty of triple deckers, etc. There are quite a few students/grad students in the area but mostly poor/lower-income folks other than that.

Inman Square is a cute neighborhood with lots of restaurants etc and popular for young people. The downside is the lack of proximity to a train, so your commute would most likely be bus + train everyday, which could be a pain. Not sure if there is a bus right to Harvard (maybe though)

Lechmere Area would probably be inconvenient for HLS, and is not as cheap as the places above.

Final words of advice:

--> Stay near the red line if you can to avoid using a car but still have a great commute
--> if you want as cheap as possible, focus on Somerville, perhaps a place with a bus route to the T
--> if I had to recommend one place over all others, it would be Davis. I lived there for a bit and it was fun.

pricewise, you did good if:

Studio ~ 1000
Shared room ~ 600
1BR ~ 1200
2BR ~ 1400

something like that!

hehe super helpful englawyer, thanks! i wont be able to be in boston till late june so i hope davis square will still have apts for rent :P

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:50 pm

englawyer wrote:Sure. I will assume you are living by yourself, so I will focus on roommates/studio in addition to "cool" neighborhoods that are convenient to HLS. Specifically, I will mention those that are on the "red line" for super-convenient living.

Alewife is the last stop on the red-line. There are a number of apt/condo complexes here, but not much else. It is a little cheaper than Davis/Porter I believe. 3 stops to Harvard which is still a nice commute if you find a good place.

Davis Square is on the red-line, and thus very convenient to Harvard (2 stops). It had a renaissance of sorts in the 90's after the station was put in, and is know a solidly yuppie neighborhood. It is kind of funky though because it has a weird blend with its working class roots. Prices will generally be 600-700 to share an apartment with roommates or 1300 for a 1-BR. Davis has a clean-cut even suburban feel which can be a plus/minus for you (there are a ton of strollers going around).

--LinkRemoved--

Porter Square is also on the red-line, and is even closer to Harvard (1 stop away). It is a more "generic/shopping center" neighborhood than Davis (seems to revolve around Shaw's) but still has some stuff to do and it is easy to get to better entertainment due to the train. Similar prices to Davis:

--LinkRemoved--

Harvard Square is obviously the most convenient, but tends to be a bit more pricey than the other places (say more like 700-800 for sharing an apartment, or 1500 for 1BR). It also has the most stuff "to do" around the area. It is a more uppity neighborhood in general. The big plus would be that participating in the social scene would be very convenient.

Central Square is the most "city-ish" neighborhood of Cambridge. To me it feels like a watered-down Manhattan, complete with the dirtier streets and increased number of homeless people. It seems the most "real" of the Cambridge neighborhoods though, as the others I have mentioned are kind of fantasy-landish. One stop to Harvard (in the other direction). It is a little more pricey than Davis/Porter but not quite Harvard level:

--LinkRemoved--

Kendall is the MIT neighborhood. It seems a bit more dry than the other places and is very industrial (lots of businesses and whatnot). Price-wise it is comparable to Central Square, and is 2 stops in the other direction (towards Boston). A big plus of this neighborhood would be closer proximity to Boston proper, as it would be a hop, skip, and a jump to downtown Boston.

Other neighborhoods (off the Redline):

"Area 4" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_4,_Cambridge

this place is the cheapest of all Cambridge, and is where I live in a studio for ~ $1000 total. There is a bus route to Harvard, and it is generally a 5-10 minute walk to Central or Kendall square. The downside is that it is dominated by low-income housing projects so it is nearly the opposite of Davis Square (socio-economically diverse, etc) and far from a "fantasy land" type place. Plenty of triple deckers, etc. There are quite a few students/grad students in the area but mostly poor/lower-income folks other than that.

Inman Square is a cute neighborhood with lots of restaurants etc and popular for young people. The downside is the lack of proximity to a train, so your commute would most likely be bus + train everyday, which could be a pain. Not sure if there is a bus right to Harvard (maybe though)

Lechmere Area would probably be inconvenient for HLS, and is not as cheap as the places above.

Final words of advice:

--> Stay near the red line if you can to avoid using a car but still have a great commute
--> if you want as cheap as possible, focus on Somerville, perhaps a place with a bus route to the T
--> if I had to recommend one place over all others, it would be Davis. I lived there for a bit and it was fun.

pricewise, you did good if:

Studio ~ 1000
Shared room ~ 600
1BR ~ 1200
2BR ~ 1400

something like that!

Good post. I would just add Union Square. No T station, but there is a bus to Harvard, and it's also a pretty quick bike ride. It's more diverse than Davis but hardly rundown.

Edit: Union Square is in Somerville.

vybox

Postby vybox » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:17 pm

The SFS website says that preliminary awards should be posted on a rolling basis at the end of February aiming for a two week turnaround from the receipt of financial aid files. It's been a little over two weeks for me an it's March now. Has anybody gotten
a preliminary aid offer yet?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:19 pm

vybox wrote:The SFS website says that preliminary awards should be posted on a rolling basis at the end of February aiming for a two week turnaround from the receipt of financial aid files. It's been a little over two weeks for me an it's March now. Has anybody gotten
a preliminary aid offer yet?

when did you complete all the forms?

vyboxvybox

Postby vyboxvybox » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Hahaha, sorry if this derailed the conversation. All my files were received on the 10th of February. I even got a notification of completion on the 12th. Strangely enough, one of my documents changed dates to the end of February after I had already received the complete email.

I'm sure things are just running slow; I just wanted to see if anybody had received a prelimary offer or if there are others who were expecting one by now and are still waiting.

skynet

Postby skynet » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Anyone else getting psyched for March ASW? Feel like chatting about Terry v Ohio? What are the early alphabeters reading?

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:33 pm

skynet wrote:Anyone else getting psyched for March ASW? Feel like chatting about Terry v Ohio? What are the early alphabeters reading?

Jacob & Youngs v. Kent

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:55 pm

skynet wrote:Anyone else getting psyched for March ASW? Feel like chatting about Terry v Ohio? What are the early alphabeters reading?

i am super psyched. also reading Terry v Ohio in preparation of the mock class, i wonder what it will be like. will the prof be nicer than usual to get us to send in our seat deposits? :P

skynet

Postby skynet » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:01 pm

englawyer wrote:

i am super psyched. also reading Terry v Ohio in preparation of the mock class, i wonder what it will be like. will the prof be nicer than usual to get us to send in our seat deposits? :P
I wonder. I think they would have to be huge jerks for me to think they were being unreasonable, but then I sort of expect my prof's to be tough. Am I the only one who watched The Paper Chase and thought, "I expected the prof to be tougher on the students?"

Jacob & Youngs v Kent looks pretty interesting. I have always thought of myself as a real-world-immediate-issues kind of guy. It would be funny if I ended up getting really pumped about contracts.

skynet

Postby skynet » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:46 pm

OK, so one interesting thing about Terry: it seems to set up Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, in which suspects are required to identify themselves. This would be a serious expansion of Terry, since Terry explicitly restricts the officer's right to search to the minimum required to ensure safety (i.e., find out if the suspect is armed). Can a person keeping his name a secret constitute a similar threat?

adameus

Postby adameus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 pm

skynet wrote:OK, so one interesting thing about Terry: it seems to set up Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, in which suspects are required to identify themselves. This would be a serious expansion of Terry, since Terry explicitly restricts the officer's right to search to the minimum required to ensure safety (i.e., find out if the suspect is armed). Can a person keeping his name a secret constitute a similar threat?

Gunner.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:49 pm

adameus wrote:
skynet wrote:OK, so one interesting thing about Terry: it seems to set up Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, in which suspects are required to identify themselves. This would be a serious expansion of Terry, since Terry explicitly restricts the officer's right to search to the minimum required to ensure safety (i.e., find out if the suspect is armed). Can a person keeping his name a secret constitute a similar threat?

Gunner.

lol +1. i was hoping to meander through the case a few hours before class. looks like i will have to start studying or else fall behind the curve 6 months before school starts :P

Isa

Postby Isa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:27 am

Anyone feel like enlightening the April ASWers? I'm assuming you received "homework" for the Monday class?

skynet

Postby skynet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:36 am

englawyer wrote:
adameus wrote:

Gunner.

lol +1. i was hoping to meander through the case a few hours before class. looks like i will have to start studying or else fall behind the curve 6 months before school starts :P

i am sure that englawyer is right about what's expected for this weekend. i just get so excited!

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:38 am

adameus wrote:

Gunner.

i have already read, highlighted and filled my case with margin notes. I am going to KILL the competition on monday!

does anyone know if this will help my grades for next year?

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:39 am

Oh. Jesus.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:51 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
adameus wrote:

Gunner.

i have already read, highlighted and filled my case with margin notes. I am going to KILL the competition on monday!

I'm praying for a Stanford Admit....

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 pm

booby87 wrote:ugg I haven't even looked at the case. I feel like I won't fit in at Harvard...

but omg I'm super excited. I'm getting there tomorrow. Anyone else??

My wife and I are taking the red eye out of Seattle at 1 am Saturday morning. We land in Boston around 11. Staying until tuesday to check things out after the Harvard stuff.

skynet

Postby skynet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:18 pm

adameus wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
adameus wrote:

Gunner.

I'm praying for a Stanford Admit....
seriously, though: i was just making conversation, thought others might have interesting perspectives. if hls is the kind of place where people take an invitation to talk about a case as a threat, i may be headed for stanford, too.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:36 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:38 pm

skynet wrote: seriously, though: i was just making conversation, thought others might have interesting perspectives. if hls is the kind of place where people take an invitation to talk about a case as a threat, i may be headed for stanford, too.

Well it just seemed a bit gunnerish that you were referring to other cases that this case supposedly set up.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 pm

booby87 wrote:lol @ this thread. all the sudden everybody in the Harvard thread wants to go to Stanford :lol:

JR is working furiously to match Skynet to a real person and will quickly revoke his offer of admission as Skynet is scaring people away by the dozens.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 pm

adameus wrote:
skynet wrote: seriously, though: i was just making conversation, thought others might have interesting perspectives. if hls is the kind of place where people take an invitation to talk about a case as a threat, i may be headed for stanford, too.

Well it just seemed a bit gunnerish that you were referring to other cases that this case supposedly set up.

that's gunnerish? :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”