In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sayan

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby sayan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:07 am

Very nice, englawyer!

And you're applying to HBS as well, I presume? It would be amazing if you got into both. :)

Like DC, I'm 99% sure about attending H. But even after receiving the admission package, I'm still a bit dazed about the whole thing. :lol:

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:50 am

englawyer wrote:hi everyone. when is ASW :P

Congrats dude!

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:58 am

sayan wrote:Very nice, englawyer!

And you're applying to HBS as well, I presume? It would be amazing if you got into both. :)

Like DC, I'm 99% sure about attending H. But even after receiving the admission package, I'm still a bit dazed about the whole thing. :lol:

yes, my HBS app is still pending. let's see how that goes :o

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:32 pm

it appears i get to finally join this thread.

any idea how long it'll be until the accepted students site begins to work? the login is first initial+lastname.jd13, with the password being your lsac number right?

thanks.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:48 pm

talibkweli wrote:it appears i get to finally join this thread.

any idea how long it'll be until the accepted students site begins to work? the login is first initial+lastname.jd13, with the password being your lsac number right?

thanks.

Congrats man... I knew you had a really good shot. It took roughly 10 days for me to get my package and login information. Unfortunately, you can't pre-emptively get into the admitted students site since you need an activation code.

cae

Postby cae » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi everyone. I posted this question on another Harvard thread, but then realized that this might be a better place to ask.

I was recently contacted about a JR1 and I'm curious as to how open-ended the questions are. Did you tend to get very focused questions like "can you tell me about what you do at workplace X on a day-to-day basis"? Or broad ones, along the lines of "So what have you been up to since college?"

I just want to be prepared and make sure I don't ramble on aimlessly if JR's questions are not very specific.

Thanks, and congrats to all of you who are in!

coollegemex

Postby coollegemex » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:31 pm

cae wrote:Hi everyone. I posted this question on another Harvard thread, but then realized that this might be a better place to ask.

I was recently contacted about a JR1 and I'm curious as to how open-ended the questions are. Did you tend to get very focused questions like "can you tell me about what you do at workplace X on a day-to-day basis"? Or broad ones, along the lines of "So what have you been up to since college?"

I just want to be prepared and make sure I don't ramble on aimlessly if JR's questions are not very specific.

JR: Why Law? Why HLS? Any questions for me?

That's it.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:46 pm

coollegemex wrote:
cae wrote:Hi everyone. I posted this question on another Harvard thread, but then realized that this might be a better place to ask.

JR: Why Law? Why HLS? Any questions for me?

That's it.

+1. same exact questions...5 minutes long. just make sure you have a compelling reason for law school and are very enthusiastic about Harvard.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:06 am

I sent you a PM.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:29 am

so here in boston its 15 degrees out.....eek. just fyi :P

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:53 am

englawyer wrote:so here in boston its 15 degrees out.....eek. just fyi :P

I can handle it. 13 degrees here. Typing with my gloves on.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm just going to pretend you're using the metric system, otherwise I might cry.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:34 pm

knola002 wrote:
I'm just going to pretend you're using the metric system, otherwise I might cry.

haha i wish! i am used to it as a native bostonian, but it does give SLS a slight boost in my mind, at least for today (come on Stanford!)

Munner

Postby Munner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:37 pm

For those of us suffocating in 70 + degree weather during WINTER it’s quite the opposite. I would take a holistic environment (one that has all 4 seasons) over a yearly warm / tropical environment any day.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:41 pm

yeah im in TX right now...ppl complain about the heat here, but thats really just increasing from april to early october. rest of the time is really nice. other day was 70 degrees lol...tho current cold front has us in the mid-30's at night :O

boston is gonna rock me hard haha

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Got the JR2 today at 7:20 AM pacific time. I was sleeping, so it went to voicemail....
Still, saw the missed call from a 617 area code and got very excited.
Anyone else in here from Canada?

SR86

Postby SR86 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 pm

adameus wrote:Got the JR2 today at 7:20 AM pacific time. I was sleeping, so it went to voicemail....

Congrats! I'm from Canada too, although I'm in California nowadays.

coollegemex

Postby coollegemex » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:02 am

Got my ding from Yale today. Let the HLS v SLS showdown begin.

sayan

Postby sayan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:15 am

adameus wrote:Got the JR2 today at 7:20 AM pacific time. I was sleeping, so it went to voicemail....

Yep :)

Inches

Postby Inches » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:22 am

SR86 wrote:

Ditto - I'm a Canuck but crossed the border for undergrad and have lived in the U.S. and abroad since. Looking forward to watching my hometown in the upcoming olympics coverage!

T14

Postby T14 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Yep I am from Canada too.

Krswmact

Postby Krswmact » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:30 pm

congrats guys! its freezing here but otherwise its great

knola002

Postby knola002 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:33 pm

SR86 wrote:

This . . . kinda.

adameus

Postby adameus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:46 pm

For those of you from Canada, how are you dealing with getting financial aid, getting a visa, etc. I also have a wife who I would like if she could work down there.

Anyone with experience in dealing with this stuff, I would love to chat.

SR86

Postby SR86 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:30 pm

adameus wrote:For those of you from Canada, how are you dealing with getting financial aid, getting a visa, etc. I also have a wife who I would like if she could work down there.

Anyone with experience in dealing with this stuff, I would love to chat.

I have some experience with some of that stuff. Briefly, at HLS you don't have to worry about financial aid, just make sure you apply and such, in the end you'll likely have to take out loans to cover whatever financial aid doesn't cover but HLS makes it possible to do so without a US cosigner at a couple of places. Also we are not eligible for US federal financial aid programs, but HLS replaces them with their own if we would otherwise qualify.

As for a visa, we don't need one. You will enter the US on F-1 status and your wife can enter on F-2 (but again, no need to apply for actual visas). I am not sure about working... as far as I know, your wife will not be able to work while on F-2 status. I am guessing the easiest way for her to work is to look for a job and have her employer sponsor her for a TN visa, but only certain jobs qualify so you should look into that.

If you have more questions feel free to PM so we don't clutter this thread.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”