In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TrajanACC

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby TrajanACC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 am

I have the packet.. i just dont get why its on a sunday/monday and there doesn't seem to be information about how to rsvp, etc.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 am

Geez. Why are you all thinking of deferring? It seems as if it's quite easy to get a deferral, but I wonder if becomes less easy if everyone does it.

TrajanACC

Postby TrajanACC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:51 am

nevermind. i just got back into the website...

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:53 am

dutchstriker wrote:Geez. Why are you all thinking of deferring? It seems as if it's quite easy to get a deferral, but I wonder if becomes less easy if everyone does it.

lol HLS told me they love it when you defer...no wait, that was take a yr off after undergrad...:P

sayan

Postby sayan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:58 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:Geez. Why are you all thinking of deferring? It seems as if it's quite easy to get a deferral, but I wonder if becomes less easy if everyone does it.

lol HLS told me they love it when you defer...no wait, that was take a yr off after undergrad...:P

Who told you? :shock:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:29 am

DoubleChecks wrote:

Do you mean "take a year after graduating from university before applying to law school?" Many schools told me about this preference, but I ignored them and didn't suffer for it.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:47 am

TrajanACC wrote:I have the packet.. i just dont get why its on a sunday/monday and there doesn't seem to be information about how to rsvp, etc.

It's probably sun/mon so that you could attend a class or two on mon

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I just opened my mailbox to find a letter addressed to me from ITT Tech. John Hawthorne, VP of Student Services wants me to send a form back to them to get my complimentary copy of their career opportunity guide. Is it too douchey to send it back to them with the "No thanks" box checked and a photocopy of my letter from JR?

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:11 pm

driveshaft wrote:I just opened my mailbox to find a letter addressed to me from ITT Tech. John Hawthorne, VP of Student Services wants me to send a form back to them to get my complimentary copy of their career opportunity guide. Is it too douchey to send it back to them with the "No thanks" box checked and a photocopy of my letter from JR?

Yes.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:23 pm

driveshaft wrote:I just opened my mailbox to find a letter addressed to me from ITT Tech. John Hawthorne, VP of Student Services wants me to send a form back to them to get my complimentary copy of their career opportunity guide. Is it too douchey to send it back to them with the "No thanks" box checked and a photocopy of my letter from JR?

No man that sounds just douchey enough for you.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:44 pm

tomhobbes wrote:

lol

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:47 pm

It depends on where you draw your douchey line. For most people, it would be too douchey, but you're a Harvard man now and should set your personal bar higher!

rowlf

Postby rowlf » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:13 pm

I've heard that Harvard pays for the third year if you commit to PI. What does committing entail, what jobs qualify, and do they even still have this program? Anyone have links or know off the top of their dome? thanks.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:17 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

rowlf

Postby rowlf » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:19 pm

booby87 wrote:
rowlf wrote:I've heard that Harvard pays for the third year if you commit to PI. What does committing entail, what jobs qualify, and do they even still have this program? Anyone have links or know off the top of their dome? thanks.

pretty sure they discontinued this program about a month or two ago

I have a feeling it was discontinued. But I'm not sure if I'm confusing it with the guaranteed grant for work the year after graduation, which was definitely canceled.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:01 am

sayan wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

Who told you? :shock:

KB

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:07 am

tomhobbes wrote:

Was it not obvious I was kidding (my response, I mean)? Or did you really think the joke was in that bad of taste?
Last edited by driveshaft on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:32 am

driveshaft wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

Was it not obvious I was kidding? Or did you really think the joke was in that bad of taste?

the joke has an undercurrent (well, it's actually pretty overt) of arrogance and elitism. I'm all for jokes in bad taste but not when they make you sound like an arrogant jerk

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:52 am

maudlinstreet wrote:
driveshaft wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

Was it not obvious I was kidding? Or did you really think the joke was in that bad of taste?

the joke has an undercurrent (well, it's actually pretty overt) of arrogance and elitism. I'm all for jokes in bad taste but not when they make you sound like an arrogant jerk

I can see how that would come across. I just see them as fair game because ITT Tech is a for profit school. Education is awesome, and a bad school is one thing (I don't make fun of Cooley), but for profit? It's hard to respect them as an institution. That's where the joke came from. But like I said, I can see how it made me seem like an arrogant jerk.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 am

driveshaft wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

Was it not obvious I was kidding (my response, I mean)? Or did you really think the joke was in that bad of taste?

No worries dude, I just saw an opportunity and I took it. Nothing personal.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:45 pm

Has Harvard gone into sell-mode for other admits?

I got a bunch of emails from professors and clubs this week

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:46 pm

I've recieved one email from the Dean of the Office of Public Interest

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:59 pm

capitalacq wrote:Has Harvard gone into sell-mode for other admits?

I got a bunch of emails from professors and clubs this week

+1 yeah i guess it is the "after the holidays" push lol

annabell

Postby annabell » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:30 pm

I didn't...does that mean they don't want me?

Haha - seriously?

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:46 pm

annabell wrote:I didn't...does that mean they don't want me?

Haha - seriously?

Did you mark any "interest areas" on your Harvard app? I just got one from the Environmental Law Society. Although I'm glad I checked TLS, because I hadn't been checking my Harvard email.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”