In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nom Sawyer

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:34 pm

managamy wrote:No, facebook doesn't really suit my interests. On the other hand, Twitter is perfect for what I like to do.

now i know why i see you posting in every single thread managamy.... no FB :shock: :shock: :shock:

NeuroticallyYours

Postby NeuroticallyYours » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:38 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
NeuroticallyYours wrote:I'm joining this thread! I can't believe it - so happy!

LOL congrats NY -- if we're in the same section, on first day of class, scream out something insanely neurotic so i know you're in there! :P hahaha

i swear, i want to start finding out who the TLS posters are and match it up w/ reality. i will scream out your sn in the middle of class once outed lol!

Oh, hell yes! - just for you DoubleChecks. After I blurt out something obscenely neurotic, you must respond with something...sorry, what is your general personality type on this forum?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:41 pm

NeuroticallyYours wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

LOL congrats NY -- if we're in the same section, on first day of class, scream out something insanely neurotic so i know you're in there! :P hahaha

i swear, i want to start finding out who the TLS posters are and match it up w/ reality. i will scream out your sn in the middle of class once outed lol!

Oh, hell yes! - just for you DoubleChecks. After I blurt out something obscenely neurotic, you must respond with something...sorry, what is your general personality type on this forum?

His general personality type is: A Fruit.

(sorry couldn't resist :mrgreen: )

NeuroticallyYours

Postby NeuroticallyYours » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:44 pm

Sorry, The Dan, I don't quite understand why those LSN profiles are worrying. GULC over a HLS? A little quirky, but to each his own, right? And for the 179/180, 4.0 Yale rejects? Yale is just that impossible. Obviously other factors matter there. I know people who had much lower numbers and were quickly accepted.
Last edited by NeuroticallyYours on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:46 pm

GULC over HLS is more than quirky.

NeuroticallyYours

Postby NeuroticallyYours » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:49 pm

managamy wrote:GULC over HLS is more than quirky.

Fine. But there could be many personal reasons to pick D.C. over Cambridge - spouse, family, ailing parent, government internship, being Obama's bff. Who knows.

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 pm

NeuroticallyYours wrote:Sorry, The Dan, I don't quite understand why those LSN profiles are worrying. GULC over a HLS? A little quirky, but to each his own, right? And for the 179/180, 4.0 Yale rejects? Yale is just that impossible. Obviously other factors matter there. I know people who had much lower numbers and were quickly accepted.

We were talking about getting into Yale, so the statement "Yale is just that impossible" doesn't help. Those profiles are all worrying because none of them got into Yale despite their high stats.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm

NeuroticallyYours wrote:

Fine. But there could be many personal reasons to pick D.C. over Cambridge - spouse, family, ailing parent, government internship, being Obama's bff. Who knows.

I keep forgetting about the personal reasons; you're right. Since I'm completely unattached, I thankfully have none of those factors to derail me.

Still, I'd probably get divorced if necessary in order to attend HLS. :wink:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:53 pm

It is impossible to predict Yale's admission patterns by numbers. But why would we want to discuss the Evil Empire in New Haven on this joyous Harvard-admit thread?

NeuroticallyYours

Postby NeuroticallyYours » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:03 pm

managamy wrote:
NeuroticallyYours wrote:

I keep forgetting about the personal reasons; you're right. Since I'm completely unattached, I thankfully have none of those factors to derail me.

I would have traded my first marriage for an acceptance.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:05 pm

NeuroticallyYours wrote:
managamy wrote:
NeuroticallyYours wrote:

I would have traded my first marriage for an acceptance.

I would have traded every IO in my life for an acceptance. You're on your second marriage already? Wow, you work fast. :P

NeuroticallyYours

Postby NeuroticallyYours » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:06 pm

managamy wrote:It is impossible to predict Yale's admission patterns by numbers. But why would we want to discuss the Evil Empire in New Haven on this joyous Harvard-admit thread?

Agreed. No Yalien talk allowed.

But my point in the last post, The Dan, was that numbers don't mean everything, especially at Yale. That school's not afraid to reject jerks.
Last edited by NeuroticallyYours on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeuroticallyYours

Postby NeuroticallyYours » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:06 pm

Not married yet. So luckily it didn't come to that.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:12 pm

NeuroticallyYours wrote:Not married yet. So luckily it didn't come to that.

Good thinking. I'm postponing any potential SOs until I get settled in a career and sticking to IOs meanwhile. Marriage doesn't interest me anyway from a philosophical viewpoint.

vyboxvybox

Postby vyboxvybox » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:36 am

Does Harvard still pay a portion of your ASW expenses if you have already accepted and paid your deposit?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:38 am

vyboxvybox wrote:Does Harvard still pay a portion of your ASW expenses if you have already accepted and paid your deposit?

yes i think so... they only said distance factors in to how much they pay

booby87

Postby booby87 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:40 am

Last edited by booby87 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

pleasebehappy

Postby pleasebehappy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm

I don't understand why people on these boards are so rankings-obsessed.

What is wrong with graduating debt-free from a top 14 law school as opposed to graduating with more debt than you'll make in a year of NYC BigLaw from a better top 14 law school?

Besides, this person may have wanted a less neurotic/more enjoyable law school experience.

ylc

Postby ylc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:28 pm

pleasebehappy wrote:

What is wrong with graduating debt-free from a top 14 law school as opposed to graduating with more debt than you'll make in a year of NYC BigLaw from a better top 14 law school?

Besides, this person may have wanted a less neurotic/more enjoyable law school experience.

heh - I don't think Georgetown is well-known for having a less neurotic/more enjoyable law school experience.

pleasebehappy

Postby pleasebehappy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:33 pm

ylc wrote:
pleasebehappy wrote:

heh - I don't think Georgetown is well-known for having a less neurotic/more enjoyable law school experience.

I don't disagree with that at all, ylc. I have browsed these forums for valuable information, but have never posted, but all of the derogatory comments towards other law schools finally impassioned me enough to create an account.

I know people who chose lower ranked law schools (and medical schools, and undergraduate schools, etc.) with large merit scholarships, and they are very, very happy with their decisions. Those of you that have no monetary concerns are lucky; please do not degrade those of us who must consider money as a large factor in our law school decision-making process.

ylc

Postby ylc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:43 pm

pleasebehappy wrote:I don't disagree with that at all, ylc. I have browsed these forums for valuable information, but have never posted, but all of the derogatory comments towards other law schools finally impassioned me enough to create an account.

I know people who chose lower ranked law schools (and medical schools, and undergraduate schools, etc.) with large merit scholarships, and they are very, very happy with their decisions. Those of you that have no monetary concerns are lucky; please do not degrade those of us who must consider money as a large factor in our law school decision-making process.

I agree with you in that there are many people who can and will ultimately have equal success (whether financial or whatever) whether they go to Harvard or GULC.

That said, I think a minority of people have no monetary concerns. I am fortunate in that I do not have my own family to support, and that I am not expected to support my parents... but the debt I take will all be my own, and it's not something to take lightly.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:48 pm

pleasebehappy wrote:
ylc wrote:
pleasebehappy wrote:

I don't disagree with that at all, ylc. I have browsed these forums for valuable information, but have never posted, but all of the derogatory comments towards other law schools finally impassioned me enough to create an account.

in essence, i agree w/ you. i can see a lot of reasons why someone would choose a lower ranked TOP school instead of one of the best schools, and money can make a lot of sense here. i wouldnt say it is the best decision to make, but a reasonable one for some lol.

but i have to stop you on your medical school and undergraduate school part. that is not the same thing. ppl are rankings-obsessed on these forums because LAW FIRMS are rankings obsessed (relatively speaking). if i go to a T50 law school versus a T10 law school, my job prospects are UNBELIEVABLY different. NOT true at all for undergraduate or medical schools. your clientele for which med school you come out of may be diff...but your overall salary, especially if you specialize, will not. in fact, the difference is not great enough to necessarily warrant such a huge transition (if you wanted to stay and practice in-state at a cheaper school). undergraduate is the same thing...i mean, just use law schools as an example, they don't really care which school you went to, just the GPA. for the most part. this is true for med schools, to a somewhat lesser degree.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:52 pm

NeuroticallyYours wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

@SW: nice

@NY: ive tried to remain somewhat neutral and "ambivalent" -- not too many snide remarks, not too many dumb ones, etc. due to my paranoia of being outed via the online forums. so what sort of personality would i really have irl? probably the guy who doesnt respond to your outburst :P

but hey, ill shout out your screen name if it happens! hahaha

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:13 pm

pleasebehappy wrote:

Yeah like other people have said, the reality is that Law Schools and its associated rankings are much more important for almost ANY career/opportunity (private or public) after you graduate in comparison to other fields. Thus for example, the quirkiness would be in trading in half-tuition at SLS for full tuition at GULC... the difference in terms of opportunity loss just doesn't make much sense.

However, debt-free is still a great thing, I attended a T20 UG w/ full tuition paid instead of T5 for exactly that reason. It's just for law school the differences in schools is much more noticeable and thus people aren't as likely to make the same choice.

pleasebehappy

Postby pleasebehappy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:16 pm

I agree with you all completely. Law and other fields are quite different, and rankings do matter more in law school. Anyways, I was simply trying to make the point that we are talking about two of the best law schools in the country (relatively speaking, you can argue about what 10-12 USNWR ranking spots actually mean). We aren't comparing Harvard to a full-ride at a completely regional Third or Fourth Tier school that very few people have even heard of, or even Harvard to a school ranked 20-50.

And we have little context (what if that person is pursuing a joint JD/MSFS or another degree that Georgetown specializes in? others have already mentioned the possibility that this person already lives in DC and doesn't want to move or that they have a significant other there).

I would venture to add that undergrad matters a lot for borderline law school candidates. Of the 8 admitted to Harvard with less than a 173 LSAT that specified the type of school they attended, 2 went to public schools (no more description) and 6 went to top 25 schools (either public or private, 2 of the 6 went to one of HYP). I think that this shows that, as much as we hate to admit it, what undergrad one attends does factor into the equation (especially for borderline applicants).

Sorry! I really didn't mean to cause any trouble or argument.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”