In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:51 pm

capitalacq wrote:I usually hate things like ASW, but if they pick up some of the tab.....


You have to go Capital.. then I can see who you are haha

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:38 am

Bump. We can't let this thread fall off the front page, can we? :D

User avatar
chelita
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby chelita » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:05 am

so for those of you who would definitely choose Harvard over Yale, why would you? So far it seems like people on other threads have mainly emphasized the power of the Harvard name outside the legal world or really specific classes like Cyber Law. Are there other reasons why you would pick Harvard over Yale or Stanford?

User avatar
T14
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby T14 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:09 am

chelita wrote:so for those of you who would definitely choose Harvard over Yale, why would you? So far it seems like people on other threads have mainly emphasized the power of the Harvard name outside the legal world or really specific classes like Cyber Law. Are there other reasons why you would pick Harvard over Yale or Stanford?


I think alumni base is another consideration for some people. Having so many connections can't be a bad thing. Also, the size of Harvard provides an opportunity for specialized faculty in an extremely wide range of specialties. So, lots of clinics, courses, professors, students etc. And not only do they offer the course, but they probably have the leading professor in the area teaching it. Some people prefer the small class size, but I think the large size has a lot of advantages.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:19 am

T14 wrote:
chelita wrote:so for those of you who would definitely choose Harvard over Yale, why would you? So far it seems like people on other threads have mainly emphasized the power of the Harvard name outside the legal world or really specific classes like Cyber Law. Are there other reasons why you would pick Harvard over Yale or Stanford?


I think alumni base is another consideration for some people. Having so many connections can't be a bad thing. Also, the size of Harvard provides an opportunity for specialized faculty in an extremely wide range of specialties. So, lots of clinics, courses, professors, students etc. And not only do they offer the course, but they probably have the leading professor in the area teaching it. Some people prefer the small class size, but I think the large size has a lot of advantages.


+1

there are other reasons too that may be more specific from person to person. for example, the chances of my SO going to New Haven = very low, but the chances she'd end up at Boston is much higher. I also prefer Boston over New Haven.

The idea of small section sizes that are tight together appeals to me, especially when its embedded within a larger university that offers a diverse array of courses to choose from. bigger class sizes = more peers = more connections. it makes a lot of sense to me. If I got into both Y and H (hah! lol), i'd choose H (thus the reason why im not even going to bother filling out the Yale app lol).

User avatar
T14
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby T14 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:37 am

DoubleChecks wrote: If I got into both Y and H (hah! lol), i'd choose H (thus the reason why im not even going to bother filling out the Yale app lol).


I think I'd have a decent shot at Y, but I am not going to apply either. Even if I got accepted I would take H.

zamd006
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby zamd006 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:43 am

I would choose Harvard over Yale any day:

-Harvard's international law program is amazing and destroys Yale's hands down. Moreover, Harvard's name in the international arena will give you much more weight than Yale's.
-Harvard is moving aggressively to take the spotlight away from Yale, look at the recent Professors that have been hired.
-Boston is probably the best city in the U.S (sorry NYC). Spending 3 years in New Haven is not an enticing prospect at all whatsoever.
-Harvard is closing the gap on Yale's "Relaxed atmosphere" advantage by eliminating grading, adding new activities, etc.
-Harvard is building the Northwest Corner.
-Cross-listed classes with the JFK School of Government= Enormous plus. I am looking forward to taking a lot of those cross-listed courses. Try to find something at Yale/Stanford that resembles the JFK school of government and you will not find anything. The closest thing is Princeton's Woodrow Wilson school....
-Harvard Law Journal = #1 always.

ETC, ETC, ETC.

Overall I just see Harvard hungry to regain that top spot, and I can't seen them ever falling behind. Yale is amazing, no doubt, but Harvard will always be the center of U.S law, U.S News notwithstanding.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby GeePee » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:21 am

zamd006 wrote:I would choose Harvard over Yale any day:

-Harvard's international law program is amazing and destroys Yale's hands down. Moreover, Harvard's name in the international arena will give you much more weight than Yale's.
-Harvard is moving aggressively to take the spotlight away from Yale, look at the recent Professors that have been hired.
-Boston is probably the best city in the U.S (sorry NYC). Spending 3 years in New Haven is not an enticing prospect at all whatsoever.
-Harvard is closing the gap on Yale's "Relaxed atmosphere" advantage by eliminating grading, adding new activities, etc.
-Harvard is building the Northwest Corner.
-Cross-listed classes with the JFK School of Government= Enormous plus. I am looking forward to taking a lot of those cross-listed courses. Try to find something at Yale/Stanford that resembles the JFK school of government and you will not find anything. The closest thing is Princeton's Woodrow Wilson school....
-Harvard Law Journal = #1 always.

ETC, ETC, ETC.

Overall I just see Harvard hungry to regain that top spot, and I can't seen them ever falling behind. Yale is amazing, no doubt, but Harvard will always be the center of U.S law, U.S News notwithstanding.

Reactions:

1. If by international law you mean international business law, then Harvard certainly outpaces Yale. However, as far as human rights, etc. go, I'm hard pressed to see Harvard ahead of Yale more than marginally.
2. Strength/renown of professors is probably equal now, due to Harvard's impressive hiring spree.
3. Yeah, New Haven kind of sucks. Cambridge isn't exactly a snazzy area itself but I do like Boston.
4. Harvard's HP/P/LP is still not as good as HP/P. One LP 1L year can really do you harm in employment if anecdotes from a couple of Harvard 1L's are reliable.
5. The Northwest Corner seems pretty cool. I'd like to see Harvard throw out some really kick-ass new clinics along with it.
6. I'm really not sure how much help JFK School of Gov't will be to your law prospects to be totally honest, or at least not much more helpful than classes on international law you might take at Yale or Stanford.
7. What?

Very much in disagreement with your final statement.

Yale's pluses:
1. COAP kicks the shit out of any other LRAP. It's pretty awesome.
2. Yale's class size is 3 times smaller than Harvard's. This means it's about 3 times easier to get on Law Review, easier to get into prestigious clinics/externships, etc.
3. As far as prestigious public interest work goes, no one places better than Yale, and Yale seems to make sure that its graduates continue that trend. Yale definitely takes care of its alums (not that Harvard doesn't, but it's easier to keep better track of a smaller alumni base. On the other hand, that means there are 3 times less alumni out waiting to recruit you).

There's a reason Yale and Harvard are #1 and #2 in legal studies. They each have incredible programs. However, I think the way you lay it out at first makes it seem like Harvard is clearly gives better opportunities than Yale. And really, that's not true.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby soullesswonder » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:49 am

The most annoying thing about a Yale acceptance would be explaining to my friends why I wasn't going to Harvard. Fortunately, most of my friends can grasp the ridiculous advantage of COAP and the idea of having 4% of your graduating class clerk for SCOTUS. I also like the fact that Yale grads are doubly rare in BigLaw due to class size and the high proportion of PI careers.

(Btw, if I do get in at Yale, I'll have to post up my Yale 250. I don't know what I was thinking, except maybe that my PS and Resume were very academically oriented and I felt I needed to show a lighter side. They might just throw my whole app on the fire, but at least I'll go down swinging).

vyboxvybox
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby vyboxvybox » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:53 pm

Sorry to bring this conversation back to financial aid, but does anybody know if Harvard will adjust its aid packages for students? For instance I'm concerned that, due to being employed for a number of years and earning a very good salary, Harvard will provide an aid package that is too small--accounting for the salary I have earned so far, but not accounting for the fact that I will no longer be earning it.

(of course I trust Harvard to have a smarter system than that, but just in case...)

So let's say Harvard offers me the standard 33k+ loan and some grants. If that amount doesn't cover the costs of tuition plus room, board, and fees, does anybody know if Harvard would be willing to provide more in loans? I don't mind taking on more loan debt due to general outcomes for HLS alumni, but I am just a bit worried about supporting myself while I'm there.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:14 pm

vyboxvybox wrote:Sorry to bring this conversation back to financial aid, but does anybody know if Harvard will adjust its aid packages for students? For instance I'm concerned that, due to being employed for a number of years and earning a very good salary, Harvard will provide an aid package that is too small--accounting for the salary I have earned so far, but not accounting for the fact that I will no longer be earning it.

(of course I trust Harvard to have a smarter system than that, but just in case...)

So let's say Harvard offers me the standard 33k+ loan and some grants. If that amount doesn't cover the costs of tuition plus room, board, and fees, does anybody know if Harvard would be willing to provide more in loans? I don't mind taking on more loan debt due to general outcomes for HLS alumni, but I am just a bit worried about supporting myself while I'm there.


Everybody can pretty easily get loans to make sure you have the full COL (around 67K) each year the HLS estimates you need so you won't have to worry about obtaining loans if you need them. However, they do expect you to contribute 100% of your assets towards paying for law school.

cciti65
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby cciti65 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Any idea when we might be receiving some more information (financial aid, etc.)? The wait is killing me and I can't seem to log on to the admitted student section....

vyboxvybox
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby vyboxvybox » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:38 pm

Yah, I definitely understand that. The only thing I have to base this process on is filing the FAFSA for undergrad and I distinctly remember looking at those numbers and saying "Wha?!?!?" It only factors in your income and your parents income from the previous year with no metric for the current financial situation for the coming year.

I'm sure Harvard has a better system, I just wanted reassurance that I can afford what I've gotten myself into!

Thanks.

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby nixxers » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:40 pm

cciti65 wrote:Any idea when we might be receiving some more information (financial aid, etc.)? The wait is killing me and I can't seem to log on to the admitted student section....


Hmm... let me listen to my JR2 voicemail again. :twisted:

He says the mailing is being sent the Tuesday after Thanksgiving (today), and it will have the login info for the admitted students website. So hopefully we'll get it in a couple days!

cciti65
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby cciti65 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 pm

vyboxvybox wrote:Yah, I definitely understand that. The only thing I have to base this process on is filing the FAFSA for undergrad and I distinctly remember looking at those numbers and saying "Wha?!?!?" It only factors in your income and your parents income from the previous year with no metric for the current financial situation for the coming year.

I'm sure Harvard has a better system, I just wanted reassurance that I can afford what I've gotten myself into!

Thanks.


I made the mistake of looking at the suggested student budget and nearly had heart failure.....
nixxers wrote:He says the mailing is being sent the Tuesday after Thanksgiving (today), and it will have the login info for the admitted students website. So hopefully we'll get it in a couple days!


Ahh, I was expecting something via email. Just goes to show, even after the JR2, Harvard is messing with my head!!!!

User avatar
chelita
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby chelita » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:18 pm

speaking of financial aid, have you guys seen this?

--LinkRemoved--

looks like harvard is cutting it's Public Service Initiative, too bad...

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:26 pm

chelita wrote:speaking of financial aid, have you guys seen this?

--LinkRemoved--

looks like harvard is cutting it's Public Service Initiative, too bad...


I'm not worried at all. They will announce a new plan in March, and in the meantime they're actually increasing our financial aid pool by 2.7 million. They're expanding LIPP, offering twelve new public service fellowships...and the free coffee is back!

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:45 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
chelita wrote:speaking of financial aid, have you guys seen this?

--LinkRemoved--

looks like harvard is cutting it's Public Service Initiative, too bad...


I'm not worried at all. They will announce a new plan in March, and in the meantime they're actually increasing our financial aid pool by 2.7 million. They're expanding LIPP, offering twelve new public service fellowships...and the free coffee is back!


sarcasm? :shock:

ylc
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:38 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby ylc » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:54 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
chelita wrote:speaking of financial aid, have you guys seen this?

--LinkRemoved--

looks like harvard is cutting it's Public Service Initiative, too bad...


I'm not worried at all. They will announce a new plan in March, and in the meantime they're actually increasing our financial aid pool by 2.7 million. They're expanding LIPP, offering twelve new public service fellowships...and the free coffee is back!



I was wondering how long it would take Josh to respond re: the PSI issue on the admissions blog. Sure enough:
--LinkRemoved--

That said, the binder is up on the admitted students site and it kind of sucks... sorry, Josh. I'm sure it's nice in the non-green paper-wasting version.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:38 pm

SolarWind wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
chelita wrote:speaking of financial aid, have you guys seen this?

--LinkRemoved--

looks like harvard is cutting it's Public Service Initiative, too bad...


I'm not worried at all. They will announce a new plan in March, and in the meantime they're actually increasing our financial aid pool by 2.7 million. They're expanding LIPP, offering twelve new public service fellowships...and the free coffee is back!


sarcasm? :shock:


For once, no. I just threw in the free coffee story b/c I found it funny...evidently the students were raiding faculty and staff coffee before the administration decided to fully reinstate it. I really do everyone is focusing on one negative (0Ls don't know what the new Public Service Initiative will look like) and ignoring all of the small positive efforts HLS is making.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:42 pm

lol i thought it was sarcasm because you added the free coffee part.. the rest sounded like it fit together hahaha

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby tomhobbes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:44 pm

Somebody want to clear this up for me?

I just started looking into Harvard's LIPP and it looks like, unlike all the other schools I could find, people who get their PhD right after law school are eligible for it. This is the link: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... s/phd.html

The confusing part is that it just seems too good to be true. Basically, if it takes you seven years to get your PhD, Harvard will treat that like seven years of working at a very low-paying job, and cover all of your loan payments during that time? Someone who's pursuing their own selfish interests (in my case, possibly getting a Philosophy PhD) gets as much money as someone who becomes a public defender?

I wanted to get my PhD anyway, but this makes it seem like it's a free $70k or something. Or more.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby englawyer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 am

For once, no. I just threw in the free coffee story b/c I found it funny...evidently the students were raiding faculty and staff coffee before the administration decided to fully reinstate it. I really do everyone is focusing on one negative (0Ls don't know what the new Public Service Initiative will look like) and ignoring all of the small positive efforts HLS is making.


free coffee is amazing benefit. If I am admitted, I will attend! I must waste like $400 bucks a year at least on coffee.

User avatar
T14
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby T14 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:44 am

ylc wrote:
I was wondering how long it would take Josh to respond re: the PSI issue on the admissions blog. Sure enough:
--LinkRemoved--

That said, the binder is up on the admitted students site and it kind of sucks... sorry, Josh. I'm sure it's nice in the non-green paper-wasting version.


Were you able to access the binder using the jdoe.jd13 username? For some reason mine allows me into the email but not the website. It worked on the website before, but not anymore.

cougit
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby cougit » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:45 am

T14 wrote:
Were you able to access the binder using the jdoe.jd13 username? For some reason mine allows me into the email but not the website. It worked on the website before, but not anymore.


+1 i'm glad i'm not the only one.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BodieBroadus, brinicolec, pandaaa and 12 guests