In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gilagarta

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby gilagarta » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:38 pm

The Dan wrote:
adameus wrote:what are you guys using to find off campus apartments?

I've mostly been searching craigslist postings. My roommate has been contacting real estate agents.

Do you know of any real estate agents who don't charge a brokers fee? Are you planning on going to see places in person, or if you find one on Craigslist you like will you sign a lease long-distance? This is such a complicated process...

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:47 pm

gilagarta wrote:
The Dan wrote:

I've mostly been searching craigslist postings. My roommate has been contacting real estate agents.

Do you know of any real estate agents who don't charge a brokers fee? Are you planning on going to see places in person, or if you find one on Craigslist you like will you sign a lease long-distance? This is such a complicated process...

+1. Yes it is a pain. this whole process is quite a bit of paperwork. Currently, I am trying to figure out a way to get my immunization records filled out. Problem is, I got my immunizations primarily when I was a 1 year old and lived across the country. Anyone else have trouble getting this filled out and have a solution for it?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:00 pm

adameus wrote:
gilagarta wrote:
The Dan wrote:

+1. Yes it is a pain. this whole process is quite a bit of paperwork. Currently, I am trying to figure out a way to get my immunization records filled out. Problem is, I got my immunizations primarily when I was a 1 year old and lived across the country. Anyone else have trouble getting this filled out and have a solution for it?

This is going to be particularly adventurous for me, as my medical records from before I was 15 no longer exist. They were lost somewhere along the line.

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:18 pm

GeePee wrote:
adameus wrote:

This is going to be particularly adventurous for me, as my medical records from before I was 15 no longer exist. They were lost somewhere along the line.

yeah, I have to believe that this is a very common issue for incoming students. It was 25 years ago when I got immunized, am I realistically expected to find these records which are most likely lost?

kmap

Postby kmap » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:29 pm

adameus wrote:
GeePee wrote:
adameus wrote:

yeah, I have to believe that this is a very common issue for incoming students. It was 25 years ago when I got immunized, am I realistically expected to find these records which are most likely lost?

This has been a problem for my friends who are matriculating at other schools (not just for law) ... what you can do is get a blood test to check for antibodies for all the disease you were supposed have vaccinations for. If you were truly vaccinated, the blood panel will reflect this. If you weren't, and you're immune, you're also good to go.

nameless

Postby nameless » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:25 pm

There is an option to search only "no fee" apartments on Craigslist.... but be aware that, at least in my experience, the no fee places sometimes are crappier and/or have higher rents (to make up for the lack of an up-front fee).

If you're coming from out of town, the easiest thing to do might be to sublet a room in an apartment from people who've already rented out the place, like a group of young professionals or grad students. I lived in Boston for a few years in a 3-bed apartment, and we never had any trouble finding a new roommate via Craigslist when someone needed to move out. Come August, there should be plenty of 20-somethings in the area looking to fill a spare room in their apartment/house.

Zara

Postby Zara » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:30 pm

kmap wrote:
adameus wrote:
GeePee wrote:
adameus wrote:

This has been a problem for my friends who are matriculating at other schools (not just for law) ... what you can do is get a blood test to check for antibodies for all the disease you were supposed have vaccinations for. If you were truly vaccinated, the blood panel will reflect this. If you weren't, and you're immune, you're also good to go.

yeah you probably had to turn in immunization records when you entered university and high school as well. You can send the form to your old schools and have them fill it out with their records. most universities have a service for this as it is a pretty common practice. that is the easiest way. you might have to get a tetanus booster shot though since you have to have one after 2001 and the hep b vaccination if your state didn't require it when you entered school...mine didn't so now i am scrambling to find it in a foreign country. It really is a huge pain in the ass.

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:23 pm

gilagarta wrote:
The Dan wrote:

I'll be seeing apartments in person, but that's mostly because I've moved out of my old apartment and back into my parents' house for the summer, which is less than an hour from Cambridge. I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't have family nearby. Maybe find a friend who would let you crash on their couch for a few days and set up a bunch of showings.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:23 am

The Dan wrote:
gilagarta wrote:
The Dan wrote:

I'll be seeing apartments in person, but that's mostly because I've moved out of my old apartment and back into my parents' house for the summer, which is less than an hour from Cambridge. I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't have family nearby. Maybe find a friend who would let you crash on their couch for a few days and set up a bunch of showings.

I definitely couldn't see places so I got them to give me a webcam tour!

nattybro

Postby nattybro » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:05 am

In off the waitlist yesterday

knola002

Postby knola002 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:25 am

nattybro wrote:In off the waitlist yesterday
Congrats! See you in the fall. :D

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Just got my dorm room! :D

Anyone know what the word on North Hall is?

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:46 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:Just got my dorm room! :D

Anyone know what the word on North Hall is?

It's nice.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:30 pm

wow that is huge! congrats

Zara

Postby Zara » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:47 pm

does anyone know how to do this GradPlus loan application on the HLS website? it says to enter the amount you want after loan fees are taken out and then it says to enter the total amount of the loan (including loan fees). In my awards package, HLS listed 13,100 for my required supplemental loan so do I take the 2.5% for loan fees out of that...so I actually get 12,773 or do I do it so that I get 13,100?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question. i have never had to apply for loans before so I find it a bit confusing. Thanks

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:59 pm

Zara wrote:does anyone know how to do this GradPlus loan application on the HLS website? it says to enter the amount you want after loan fees are taken out and then it says to enter the total amount of the loan (including loan fees). In my awards package, HLS listed 13,100 for my required supplemental loan so do I take the 2.5% for loan fees out of that...so I actually get 12,773 or do I do it so that I get 13,100?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question. i have never had to apply for loans before so I find it a bit confusing. Thanks

You have to ADD 2.5% to the total about that you want. So 13100 + (2.5% of 13100) = 13,427.50. First you put 13,100, and then you put 13,427

Zara

Postby Zara » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:16 am

smov_operator wrote:
Zara wrote:does anyone know how to do this GradPlus loan application on the HLS website? it says to enter the amount you want after loan fees are taken out and then it says to enter the total amount of the loan (including loan fees). In my awards package, HLS listed 13,100 for my required supplemental loan so do I take the 2.5% for loan fees out of that...so I actually get 12,773 or do I do it so that I get 13,100?

You have to ADD 2.5% to the total about that you want. So 13100 + (2.5% of 13100) = 13,427.50. First you put 13,100, and then you put 13,427

oh ok thanks!! sorry, i didnt know if the 13,100 was my maximum or what and I didnt want to screw it up.

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 am

englawyer wrote:

wow that is huge! congrats

Very Nice!! +1 congrats

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:23 am

Zara wrote:
smov_operator wrote:

oh ok thanks!! sorry, i didnt know if the 13,100 was my maximum or what and I didnt want to screw it up.

wait, what?

So I need to call my lender and find out what the fees are and add those fees to the total loan amount? I finally got my loan package yesterday (which was great! Thank you HLS) but am still a bit confused by the whole supplemental loans thing.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:12 am

Call or email financial services. They're very helpful.

Zara

Postby Zara » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:19 pm

after we do the stuff for Grad Plus is there anything else we have to do for our financial aid? like do we need to sign anything for the Stafford loans or HLS loan? I can't find anything about that on the HLS website.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:22 pm

creatinganalt wrote:
Zara wrote:
smov_operator wrote:

wait, what?

So I need to call my lender and find out what the fees are and add those fees to the total loan amount? I finally got my loan package yesterday (which was great! Thank you HLS) but am still a bit confused by the whole supplemental loans thing.

No, you calculate the fees when you apply online for the GradPlus loans.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Zara wrote:after we do the stuff for Grad Plus is there anything else we have to do for our financial aid? like do we need to sign anything for the Stafford loans or HLS loan? I can't find anything about that on the HLS website.

You will have to sign for the Stafford loans, but HLS will send you the forms around august.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks - I called SFS and you guys are correct. All sorted.

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:23 pm

Is there any other international student applying for the loan from Harvard University Employee's credit union? Do we have to deposit $25 to open an account before we apply? And do we have to have our I-20 form and visa with us when we fill out the application?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”