In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bluedolphins

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby bluedolphins » Tue May 25, 2010 11:51 am

Congratulations!

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Tue May 25, 2010 12:20 pm

So I also just got off the waitlist... headed to Boston on Thursday to check it out (I've never been)

If anyone is there/knows someone there that wouldn't mind showing a random interwebz stranger around (and possibly letting me stay with them - being grad weekend the cheapest hotel I could find was $199/night)

Thanks!! (please PM a response, as I'm terrible at checking into threads)

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue May 25, 2010 3:45 pm

creatinganalt wrote:Also - has everyone already signed up for lockers?

Wasn't sure if it was too early to do it.

hm, sry, but curious, lockers for what?

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:51 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

each student is assigned an on-campus locker to put their stuff in...kinda like high school

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue May 25, 2010 3:55 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

each student is assigned an on-campus locker to put their stuff in...kinda like high school

ho? lol thx, guess ill have to go sign up for one then

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:58 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

ho? lol thx, guess ill have to go sign up for one then

Just FYI: they're only for people living off-campus.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue May 25, 2010 4:01 pm

thanks for the heads up. yeah i will be living off campus (or at least not in a dorm), even though i dont quite know exactly where yet...lol

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue May 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Attention all people still waiting for their view/select windows on HRES:

Start looking elsewhere. Currently, the only places I can find have leases starting in June or July (my View window is today). So, if you're unwilling to or can't afford to start your lease 2 months early, it's probably in your best interest to start searching for alternate means of housing for next year.

I'm definitely a little disappointed but I have some backup places.

Core

Postby Core » Tue May 25, 2010 7:33 pm

jlh39 wrote:I just got in off the waitlist! I must be like the last person. Lookin forward to Cambridge!

Congrats, but I hope not...

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm

GeePee wrote:Attention all people still waiting for their view/select windows on HRES:

Start looking elsewhere. Currently, the only places I can find have leases starting in June or July (my View window is today). So, if you're unwilling to or can't afford to start your lease 2 months early, it's probably in your best interest to start searching for alternate means of housing for next year.

Be advised that you wont find many August leases with private landlords, either. My searches have come up with mostly July 1st and September 1st leases.

s419

Postby s419 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:20 pm

GeePee wrote:Attention all people still waiting for their view/select windows on HRES:

I feel like this is part of the nature of the HRES apartments -- even when I had my select window (about 3 weeks ago) -- there were very very few apts with August start dates. I decided to get the apt I most wanted even though it had an early July move-in. I just thought of the 3 weeks of lost rent as being like a security deposit or broker's fee I would have had to pay on a non-Harvard apt.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue May 25, 2010 9:09 pm

that sucks, but were a lot of places still available/what kind of places still available? my viewing window isnt for another week :(

and odd that they only start 9/1 or 7/1...are there schools there that start as late as 9/1?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue May 25, 2010 9:25 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

that sucks, but were a lot of places still available/what kind of places still available? my viewing window isnt for another week :(

and odd that they only start 9/1 or 7/1...are there schools there that start as late as 9/1?

Harvard starts 9/3 I think, but that's neither here nor there.

There weren't many places left. If you're dead-set on HRES and can find a roommate, that's your best bet at this point. The selection of 2BR is a lot more robust than the studios. As far as studios are concerned, unless you want to live in Peabody Terrace with all of the H undergrads then the only viable options from my perspective were four studios in 29 Garden Street (However, they all started before 7/15 and had no oven, and a very small refrigerator. For someone that plans to cook every night, this was extremely subpar). There were also a couple of options down in Harvard Square, but they aren't all that convenient and were more pricey due to location.

However, if you're planning on eating takeout/random free meals/going on the meal plan, and are okay with eating a month's rent for July, then the 29 Garden Street places should be quite nice. However, this just wasn't going to work with my budget or my lifestyle.

However, there are definitely some places to be had. I found one this weekend that's only about 3 blocks from the campus and is quite reasonably priced with a few utilities. It should save me about $150/mo. over the HRES housing.

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Tue May 25, 2010 9:31 pm

GeePee wrote:Harvard starts 9/3 I think, but that's neither here nor there.

--LinkRemoved--

Classes start 9/1, 1L orientation starts 8/30.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue May 25, 2010 9:39 pm

The Dan wrote:
GeePee wrote:Harvard starts 9/3 I think, but that's neither here nor there.

--LinkRemoved--

Classes start 9/1, 1L orientation starts 8/30.

yeah thats what i meant too, since if orientation is then, im assuming virtually all students would have moved in already (prob a few days before then)

smashedpumpkins

Postby smashedpumpkins » Tue May 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Does anyone know what we need to do to get our loans? My financial aid site has a whole bunch of items that I can "accept" - but I only want to partially accept (ie - not the full amount) some of the items.

Sorry if this was already answered.

sayan

Postby sayan » Tue May 25, 2010 11:09 pm

Mine was on May 10th and the selection was disappointing. The best lease date was early July for the area I wanted.

After my view window passed I kept checking the "Currently Available" selection, and even though they say the selection is worse, I found a good place starting on Aug 5th. Keep checking the HRES website and a place with a similar date may pop up. They go fast though.

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 pm

smashedpumpkins wrote:Does anyone know what we need to do to get our loans? My financial aid site has a whole bunch of items that I can "accept" - but I only want to partially accept (ie - not the full amount) some of the items.

I don't think that option is available to anyone yet. That was just the preliminary offer, you don't actually take out any loans until they let you and you are not yet allowed to according to this: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... step3.html

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Wed May 26, 2010 2:01 pm

smashedpumpkins wrote:Does anyone know what we need to do to get our loans? My financial aid site has a whole bunch of items that I can "accept" - but I only want to partially accept (ie - not the full amount) some of the items.

If you want the amount of your loans adjusted, you have to fill out the Appeal/Change of Status form (which is linked on your award page). You may also want to shoot SFS an email detailing your desired adjustments to the student budget.

rotflawl

Postby rotflawl » Thu May 27, 2010 3:27 am

Has anyone admitted off the waitlist received financial aid info. yet? I have yet to receive my ID, admissions packet, etc., but I was curious about the expected timeline for the WLers (if any).

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu May 27, 2010 12:09 pm

what are you guys using to find off campus apartments?

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Thu May 27, 2010 12:37 pm

adameus wrote:what are you guys using to find off campus apartments?

I've mostly been searching craigslist postings. My roommate has been contacting real estate agents.

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Thu May 27, 2010 7:27 pm

adameus wrote:what are you guys using to find off campus apartments?

My roommate (a Fletcher student) did most of the work, but we used a broker. I'm really, really happy with the place, and I think it was a good investment.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Thu May 27, 2010 7:42 pm

rotflawl wrote:Has anyone admitted off the waitlist received financial aid info. yet? I have yet to receive my ID, admissions packet, etc., but I was curious about the expected timeline for the WLers (if any).

I did. Got the finaid info a little over a week after I submitted all the documents. If you haven't received your admissions packet yet, call the admissions office and they will give you your i.d., ect over the phone.

Edited for grammar
Last edited by smov_operator on Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rotflawl

Postby rotflawl » Thu May 27, 2010 7:59 pm

smov_operator wrote:
rotflawl wrote:Has anyone admitted off the waitlist received financial aid info. yet? I have yet to receive my ID, admissions packet, etc., but I was curious about the expected timeline for the WLers (if any).

I did. Got the finaid info a little over a week after I submitted all the documents. If you haven't received your admissions packet yet, call the admissions office and they will give it to you over the phone.

Wonderful, thanks. I will do that tomorrow.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”