In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
skynet
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby skynet » Sun May 02, 2010 10:46 am

The loans don't accrue any interest until six months after you stop being enrolled at least half time. Any interest you pay on them is tax deductible and the tuition you pay is also deductible up to a certain point (like 4k, maybe?). All of this refers to Stafford loans. Are you eligible for those as a non-US citizen?

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby GeePee » Sun May 02, 2010 10:50 am

owhlcn wrote:so it turns out I'll be living @ 1580 mass ave (directly across from the law school) with a current 3L -- for all who are forsaking HRES, check out the building! looks wonderful!

You're living in a condo that's literally across the street from the school?

<--- Is jealous :oops:

owhlcn
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby owhlcn » Sun May 02, 2010 3:35 pm

GeePee wrote:
owhlcn wrote:so it turns out I'll be living @ 1580 mass ave (directly across from the law school) with a current 3L -- for all who are forsaking HRES, check out the building! looks wonderful!

You're living in a condo that's literally across the street from the school?

<--- Is jealous :oops:


I feel seriously lucky -- it was just a series of fortuitous events that led to this apartment panning out. I wasn't being particularly proactive or anything. But I did decide that proximity was important to me, given how early the T stops running.

edit -- flagrantly awful grammar

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby GeePee » Sun May 02, 2010 4:13 pm

owhlcn wrote:
GeePee wrote:
owhlcn wrote:so it turns out I'll be living @ 1580 mass ave (directly across from the law school) with a current 3L -- for all who are forsaking HRES, check out the building! looks wonderful!

You're living in a condo that's literally across the street from the school?

<--- Is jealous :oops:


I feel seriously lucky -- it was just a series of fortuitous events that led to this apartment panning out. I wasn't being particularly proactive or anything. But I did decide that proximity was important to me, given how early the T stops running.

edit -- flagrantly awful grammar

Proximity IS awesome. I'm back to the drawing board after discovering that the last studio that I was considering was literally right next to MIT... great for someone at MIT but a bit of a walk from the T station and especially the Law School.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon May 03, 2010 12:10 am

skynet wrote:The loans don't accrue any interest until six months after you stop being enrolled at least half time. Any interest you pay on them is tax deductible and the tuition you pay is also deductible up to a certain point (like 4k, maybe?). All of this refers to Stafford loans. Are you eligible for those as a non-US citizen?


Actually, only a portion of stafford loans do not accrue interest. The other half does (but non-compounded). However, most HYS students take a large amount of GradPlus loans that do accrue interest throughout.

Also, if your international, then H provides their own grant loans that are the equivalent of stafford, so you should at least get these.

User avatar
skynet
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby skynet » Mon May 03, 2010 11:12 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
skynet wrote:The loans don't accrue any interest until six months after you stop being enrolled at least half time. Any interest you pay on them is tax deductible and the tuition you pay is also deductible up to a certain point (like 4k, maybe?). All of this refers to Stafford loans. Are you eligible for those as a non-US citizen?


Actually, only a portion of stafford loans do not accrue interest. The other half does (but non-compounded). However, most HYS students take a large amount of GradPlus loans that do accrue interest throughout.

Also, if your international, then H provides their own grant loans that are the equivalent of stafford, so you should at least get these.

Good point. The Subsidized Stafford loans are the ones that don't accrue interest. The Unsubsidized ones do.

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby adameus » Mon May 03, 2010 11:48 pm

thanks for the responses guys. 4K tax deduction for tuition, that seems pathetic... In Canada we can deduct the full tuition we pay, plus a living allowance of like $500 per month and these amounts can be carried forward until you earn enough income to use them. For those who do 7 or more straight years of schools you'd easily have over 100K of tuition credits built up that you could use to offset your income.

User avatar
sayan
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:05 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby sayan » Tue May 04, 2010 12:11 am

adameus wrote:thanks for the responses guys. 4K tax deduction for tuition, that seems pathetic... In Canada we can deduct the full tuition we pay, plus a living allowance of like $500 per month and these amounts can be carried forward until you earn enough income to use them. For those who do 7 or more straight years of schools you'd easily have over 100K of tuition credits built up that you could use to offset your income.


Are there tuition tax credits in the US? From what I read, it's just a straight deduction for the current year (implied at least) on any earned income. Do you know if it can be carried foraward?

Also, the interest isn't tax deductible at all if you make over a certain amount (75k I think). :?

User avatar
The Dan
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby The Dan » Tue May 04, 2010 8:46 am

sayan wrote:
adameus wrote:thanks for the responses guys. 4K tax deduction for tuition, that seems pathetic... In Canada we can deduct the full tuition we pay, plus a living allowance of like $500 per month and these amounts can be carried forward until you earn enough income to use them. For those who do 7 or more straight years of schools you'd easily have over 100K of tuition credits built up that you could use to offset your income.


Are there tuition tax credits in the US? From what I read, it's just a straight deduction for the current year (implied at least) on any earned income. Do you know if it can be carried foraward?

Also, the interest isn't tax deductible at all if you make over a certain amount (75k I think). :?


No you can't carry your tax deductions forward in the US. Also, tuition is not tax deductible if you make over a certain amount, just like interest. If you make over 60k, you can't claim the full 4k deduction, and if you make over some higher amount (I forget, might be 75k) you can't claim anything. But not many people are making over $60k while attending law school.

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby adameus » Tue May 04, 2010 6:39 pm

but mortgage interest is tax deductible, no?

psychomohel
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby psychomohel » Wed May 05, 2010 10:37 am

Has anyone who has sent in their certification or transcripts have their status checker updated? I sent my transcripts in three weeks ago and my certification last week and neither has appeared on my status checker.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed May 05, 2010 1:08 pm

psychomohel wrote:Has anyone who has sent in their certification or transcripts have their status checker updated? I sent my transcripts in three weeks ago and my certification last week and neither has appeared on my status checker.


they're supposed to appear on the status checker? i havent looked at that thing in ages -- But they do email you on receipt of the college certification and deposit (not for transcripts though until the summer apparently)

bballfan
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby bballfan » Fri May 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Is there any consensus on which cell phone company is best on campus?

In particular, does anyone know how well AT&T does in the area?

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby GeePee » Sat May 08, 2010 11:36 am

bballfan wrote:Is there any consensus on which cell phone company is best on campus?

In particular, does anyone know how well AT&T does in the area?

Does AT&T do well in any area?

bballfan
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby bballfan » Sat May 08, 2010 11:46 am

GeePee wrote:
bballfan wrote:Is there any consensus on which cell phone company is best on campus?

In particular, does anyone know how well AT&T does in the area?

Does AT&T do well in any area?


Considering they have 80 million+ subscribers, I would think they must do well in some areas.

Did anyone have cell phone issues at ASW?

owhlcn
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby owhlcn » Sat May 08, 2010 12:24 pm

I use AT&T and my phone was virtually nonfunctional in Terry Terrace. Other areas on campus seemed fine, though.

Lysis
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Lysis » Sat May 08, 2010 12:46 pm

owhlcn wrote:I use AT&T and my phone was virtually nonfunctional in Terry Terrace. Other areas on campus seemed fine, though.


+1. I found my AT&T coverage to be a bit spotty in parts of Cambridge, but generally fine when I was on Harvard's campus / the law school. I don't know how it stacks up against other carriers.

bballfan
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby bballfan » Sat May 08, 2010 1:05 pm

thanks

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby capitalacq » Sat May 08, 2010 2:27 pm

i didnt have a signal with ATT in the hark. luckily, my contract is up this summer.

pleasepickme
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:58 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby pleasepickme » Sat May 08, 2010 6:23 pm

This may seem like a random post, but it's slowly sinking in that..we're...going...to...HARVARD!!!!!!

That's pretty cool. Go us.

knola002
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:36 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby knola002 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:14 pm

pleasepickme wrote:This may seem like a random post, but it's slowly sinking in that..we're...going...to...HARVARD!!!!!!

That's pretty cool. Go us.

+1 :D

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby lz06 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:43 pm

.
Last edited by lz06 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Isa
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:03 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Isa » Sun May 09, 2010 3:21 pm

lz06 wrote:Has anyone from the april ASW received their travel reimbursement?


Nope...hoping it gets here before I leave campus at the end of the month.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Mon May 10, 2010 4:18 pm

have the housing lottery numbers gone out yet?
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon May 10, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

citydweller09
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby citydweller09 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:20 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:anyone get their housing lottery number yet?


I haven't. Sitting here obsessively refreshing the email page ...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, ericb1228, JazzyMac, Mia93, PDX4343, Snowjon, ThorB and 14 guests