In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SR86

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby SR86 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:37 pm

s419 wrote:Does anyone know when orientation and classes start in the fall? Some clicking around the Admitted Students website hasn't turned up anything.

It looks like orientation starts August 30 and classes start September 1st: --LinkRemoved--

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:52 am

SR86 wrote:
s419 wrote:Does anyone know when orientation and classes start in the fall? Some clicking around the Admitted Students website hasn't turned up anything.

It looks like orientation starts August 30 and classes start September 1st: --LinkRemoved--

So SR does this mean you'll be moving back to the seasonal weather of the northeast? :D

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:06 am

Anyone in London?

SR86

Postby SR86 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:13 am

GeePee wrote:
SR86 wrote:

So SR does this mean you'll be moving back to the seasonal weather of the northeast? :D

Yea 95% sure, I'll probably deposit sometime this weekend. Not looking forward to the seasonal weather part though...

knola002

Postby knola002 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:25 pm

creatinganalt wrote:Anyone in London?
Might pop by for a bit over the summer.

SR86

Postby SR86 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 pm

And officially sent my deposit... See you all in the fall!

red 2010

Postby red 2010 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Deposit deadline is May 1.

If we postmark it by May 1, are we okay? Or does it have to get there by May 1?

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:24 pm

red 2010 wrote:Deposit deadline is May 1.

Your best source would be to call the admissions office directly.

Has anyone who sent a deposit gotten some kind of confirmation from HLS?

c0rpusdelicti

Postby c0rpusdelicti » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:27 pm

The Dan wrote:

Yeah, they send an email to your Harvard email account.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:43 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:
The Dan wrote:

Yeah, they send an email to your Harvard email account.

i called them - they give an email confirmation for deposits and college certifications, but will not be sending transcript confirmations till later this summer

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:44 pm

The word from JR = postmarked.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:38 pm

ConMan345 wrote:

I'm sending mine today.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:40 pm

adameus wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

I'm sending mine today.

Just sent mine. It feels nice to finally have some closure.

Woohoo! Who's excited?

fingerscrossed88

Postby fingerscrossed88 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:27 pm

Lysis wrote:Woohoo! Who's excited?

meeeeeeeee! Sent in my deposit last week! :) Now just waiting on that housing lottery....

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Just withdrew my deposit at Stanford and mailed in my deposit to HLS! Agonizing decision, but reallyyyy excited to get to Cambridge!

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Anyone not using HLS housing and staying in Somerville?

Am on Craigslist looking and finding lots of stuff but does anyone know of any other better sources for housing? The obvious answer is Sidebar but no one is on it!

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:20 pm

creatinganalt wrote:Anyone not using HLS housing and staying in Somerville?

Am on Craigslist looking and finding lots of stuff but does anyone know of any other better sources for housing? The obvious answer is Sidebar but no one is on it!

I'm looking for a place in either Cambridge or Somerville. I'd say craigslist is the best source, but you could also get in touch with a real estate agent in the area.

sayan

Postby sayan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:34 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:Just withdrew my deposit at Stanford and mailed in my deposit to HLS! Agonizing decision, but reallyyyy excited to get to Cambridge!

Woah. I thought you were deadset on SLS :shock:

What made you change your mind?

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:19 pm

sayan wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:Just withdrew my deposit at Stanford and mailed in my deposit to HLS! Agonizing decision, but reallyyyy excited to get to Cambridge!

Well, my parents were a big factor….they’re going to be paying for the full cost of my education and they really wanted me to take Harvard. But there were a few other factors :

-Interested in pursuing non-legal career paths at some point in the future…Harvard Law’s name can’t be beat outside the legal world
-Not exactly sure what type of law I’d like to get into after graduation, so Harvard’s larger class size (i.e. more classes, professors, clinics, journals, student orgs, etc.) will hopefully help me decide
-Although I’m fairly certain that I’d like to practice in CA after graduation (and most likely, the Bay Area, in fact), I’m still not absolutely positive, and I think Harvard would carry me a bit further out West than Stanford would out East.

coollegemex

Postby coollegemex » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:52 pm

So you made the switch huh... I'm having strong second thoughts about nyu (full-ride) over hls. A couple of days to decide.

nicdmx

Postby nicdmx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:57 pm

The Dan wrote:

I'm looking for a place in either Cambridge or Somerville. I'd say craigslist is the best source, but you could also get in touch with a real estate agent in the area.

I've checked on craigslist and personally think it sucks for the area. I found much better options looking at hotpads.com and through the Harvard Housing website. The Harvard housing website actually had a large number of private listings for people's condo's etc, which I prefer.

I have a friend who works at Lincoln labs and he said the market is really driven by real estate brokers more so than other areas of the country. I'm going to Cambridge in a couple weeks to start my search and will probably try a couple brokers along with pursing some listings from the Harvard housing site.

The Harvard listing can be found at:
--LinkRemoved--

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:06 pm

Sent in my deposit! :mrgreen:

Excited!

sayan

Postby sayan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:33 pm

nicdmx wrote:
The Dan wrote:

I've checked on craigslist and personally think it sucks for the area. I found much better options looking at hotpads.com and through the Harvard Housing website. The Harvard housing website actually had a large number of private listings for people's condo's etc, which I prefer.

I have a friend who works at Lincoln labs and he said the market is really driven by real estate brokers more so than other areas of the country. I'm going to Cambridge in a couple weeks to start my search and will probably try a couple brokers along with pursing some listings from the Harvard housing site.

The Harvard listing can be found at:
--LinkRemoved--

Excellent resource. Thanks!

sayan

Postby sayan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:36 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
sayan wrote:

Well, my parents were a big factor….they’re going to be paying for the full cost of my education and they really wanted me to take Harvard. But there were a few other factors :

-Interested in pursuing non-legal career paths at some point in the future…Harvard Law’s name can’t be beat outside the legal world
-Not exactly sure what type of law I’d like to get into after graduation, so Harvard’s larger class size (i.e. more classes, professors, clinics, journals, student orgs, etc.) will hopefully help me decide
-Although I’m fairly certain that I’d like to practice in CA after graduation (and most likely, the Bay Area, in fact), I’m still not absolutely positive, and I think Harvard would carry me a bit further out West than Stanford would out East.

Excellent reasons indeed.

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Hey fellow HLSers,

I sent in my deposit a week ago. Very happy with my decision.

Why are people choosing to live where they are going to live (awkward sentence, I know)? Basically why are people searching for accommodation outside of HLS Residence Halls or HRES? Is this driven by unique circumstances or is the accommodation offered by HLS undesirable?

I don't know the area very well, is there any reason why Somerville is a choice neighborhood (price, community, location, etc)?

Thanks

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”