In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
knola002

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby knola002 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:05 pm

creatinganalt wrote:
knola002 wrote: I went out to dinner with the International Law Journal, who are a very nice crowd. One of the things that struck me about the weekend was the international feel. I met people from South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Ghana, New Zealand, Canada, and another Irishman (not from Dublin like me, but nobody is perfect). The party at Tommy Doyle's was fun. I got buzzed and discussed the repercussions of colonialism in West Africa. The prospect of three years of drunken intellectual discussions greatly appealed to me.

Is it very international? LSAC profile says only about 3% from foreign nations so this suprises me. Weird thing is that while I'm international, I really don't want to go to a school with an international feel.
Perhaps I met all 3% :wink: . The vast majority of people I met were Americans, so if you don't want the international feel you can definitely avoid it. I think I was just predisposed to finding it.

bballfan

Postby bballfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:35 pm

For those of you that already sent in a deposit, how did you pay it? (check or money order)

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:17 pm

knola002 wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:
knola002 wrote: I went out to dinner with the International Law Journal, who are a very nice crowd. One of the things that struck me about the weekend was the international feel. I met people from South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Ghana, New Zealand, Canada, and another Irishman (not from Dublin like me, but nobody is perfect). The party at Tommy Doyle's was fun. I got buzzed and discussed the repercussions of colonialism in West Africa. The prospect of three years of drunken intellectual discussions greatly appealed to me.

Is it very international? LSAC profile says only about 3% from foreign nations so this suprises me. Weird thing is that while I'm international, I really don't want to go to a school with an international feel.
Perhaps I met all 3% :wink: . The vast majority of people I met were Americans, so if you don't want the international feel you can definitely avoid it. I think I was just predisposed to finding it.

No probs! I just really like America (hence the whole law school thing) and would actually like to live there for the 3 years!

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:07 pm

creatinganalt wrote:
knola002 wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:

No probs! I just really like America (hence the whole law school thing) and would actually like to live there for the 3 years!

lol HLS is very, very American... so is Boston... I don't think you have to worry about this at all

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:08 pm

nah HLS is part of a vast liberal conspiracy attempting to destroy this great nation :P

Zara

Postby Zara » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:14 pm

bballfan wrote:For those of you that already sent in a deposit, how did you pay it? (check or money order)

I wired money to my sister and had her get a money order (all of my money is in yen so this was the easier way to do it). I then had her overnight it with confirmation of delivery. I got an email from HLS letting me know they got it the next day.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:
knola002 wrote:
lol HLS is very, very American... so is Boston... I don't think you have to worry about this at all

LOL. Columbia keeps sending me stuff on how international it is (not realising that this is putting me off). So looking forward to Boston.

Core

Postby Core » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:13 pm

creatinganalt wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:
knola002 wrote:

LOL. Columbia keeps sending me stuff on how international it is (not realising that this is putting me off). So looking forward to Boston.

Tell them to send it to me.

Zara

Postby Zara » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm

anyone else get the email about HLS hiring matriculating students for research assitantships this summer? God I wish i could do that...too bad my contract doesn't end until August 3rd and I can't leave Japan until then. here's the link for those of you who are interested: https://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective ... earch.html

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:16 pm

bballfan wrote:For those of you that already sent in a deposit, how did you pay it? (check or money order)

I sent it by money order.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:56 am

Core wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:

Tell them to send it to me.

As soon as I have a definitive fin aid conversation with H, I'm withdrawing from Columbia and hopefully freeing up some money so hope that will help!

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:13 am

Zara wrote:anyone else get the email about HLS hiring matriculating students for research assitantships this summer? God I wish i could do that...too bad my contract doesn't end until August 3rd and I can't leave Japan until then. here's the link for those of you who are interested: https://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective ... earch.html

Could someone PM me this info? I can't get into my account for a few days but I'm really curious about this post. Thanks!

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 am

Lysis wrote:
Zara wrote:anyone else get the email about HLS hiring matriculating students for research assitantships this summer? God I wish i could do that...too bad my contract doesn't end until August 3rd and I can't leave Japan until then. here's the link for those of you who are interested: https://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective ... earch.html

Could someone PM me this info? I can't get into my account for a few days but I'm really curious about this post. Thanks!

PMed.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 am

Last edited by lz06 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:29 am

lz06 wrote:

Any idea if these are paid?

pretty sure some of them are... not sure about all of them

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 pm

For those you that attended ASW, about how many people were at Admitted Students Weekend? (to get an idea of how many people have been admitted for those of us still waiting :))

citydweller09

Postby citydweller09 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:37 pm

About 240 - 260 people, I believe. They gave us a list with the name of everyone in attendance and where they attended undergrad, and I ended up doing a quick count of what proportion of people were Harvard College students/grads. (About 40/240 or 1 out of every 6 people, if you're curious.)
Last edited by citydweller09 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:39 pm

citydweller09 wrote:About 240 - 260 people, I believe. They gave us a list with the name everyone in attendance and where they attended undergrad, and I ended up doing a quick count of what proportion of people were Harvard College students/grads. (About 40/240 or 1 out of every 6 people, if you're curious.)

Also, keep in mind there were 2 of these weekends.

MeredithGrey

Postby MeredithGrey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:58 pm

citydweller09 wrote:About 240 - 260 people, I believe. They gave us a list with the name everyone in attendance and where they attended undergrad, and I ended up doing a quick count of what proportion of people were Harvard College students/grads. (About 40/240 or 1 out of every 6 people, if you're curious.)

so it seems like they've probably handed out most of their acceptances. If 240 ppl x 2 admitted students weekend. And these were only the people who RSVP'ed to ASW. Then the current number of acceptances probably already out are between 600-800. According to LSN, 834 acceptances handed out for class of 2009. Ok thanks for the help :)

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Congratulations to those admitted!
I'm definitely not going to read all of the previous pages so hopefully my question hasn't been asked and answered yet.

Are any of you planning on obtaining a JD/MBA at Harvard? If so, have you applied to HBS yet or will you apply during your first year at HLS?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am

so where is the "deposit form"? i can't see it in the binder, only the college cert. and deferral forms.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:28 pm

englawyer wrote:so where is the "deposit form"? i can't see it in the binder, only the college cert. and deferral forms.

It should be behind your acceptance letter in the front flap, along with some envelopes. It's on a regular piece of computer paper.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:55 pm

HI GUYS I'M GOING TO HARVARD FOR SURE IT'S OFFICIAL

(this message brought to you by my yale rejection, which has freed me from the throes of waiting! loved asw. loved cambridge. loved the people i met. can't wait for august. the end.)

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:17 pm

owhlcn wrote:HI GUYS I'M GOING TO HARVARD FOR SURE IT'S OFFICIAL

(this message brought to you by my yale rejection, which has freed me from the throes of waiting! loved asw. loved cambridge. loved the people i met. can't wait for august. the end.)

not that I'm "happy" yale rejected you, but YYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:42 pm

GeePee wrote:
englawyer wrote:so where is the "deposit form"? i can't see it in the binder, only the college cert. and deferral forms.

It should be behind your acceptance letter in the front flap, along with some envelopes. It's on a regular piece of computer paper.

sent. i hope i don't regret this day in a year or so :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”