In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
owhlcn

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby owhlcn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:55 pm

clyde_barrow wrote:
owhlcn wrote:
ditto to the first part, though my excuse for leaving early involves both the LSAT and my parents and is thus much less legit.

are your parents taking the LSAT?

hah, i wish! though that would be entertaining. nope, i'm teaching an LSAT class today and so my parents (who were in boston for other reasons) gave me a ride back from cambridge last night.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm sort of disappointed in myself because I babied out on the party last night since I was so tired and thus didn't get to say as many goodbyes as I'd have liked. When I left dinner and walked for the better part of 40 minutes, and realized that there were still 40 more minutes until the party started, I knew I wasn't going to make it to 9:30 and headed home.

Never would have expected a day at ASW to be so draining.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:47 pm

For those comparing HLS to the Hamilton or a full ride from NYU: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114287

knola002

Postby knola002 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:08 pm

ASW was great. Handed in my deposit :D

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:17 pm

only 14 ppl shamelessly outted themselves so far. come on people!

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:18 am

englawyer wrote:only 14 ppl shamelessly outted themselves so far. come on people!

yes! everyone out yourselves! :)

s419

Postby s419 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:21 pm

To anyone considering the HRES apartments, are you able to find prices, either generally or for specific buildings, on their website? I have this feeling that they were overpriced but now I can't remember how I got that feeling since I'm having non luck with their website today. Thanks!

lz06

Postby lz06 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:12 pm

s419 wrote:To anyone considering the HRES apartments, are you able to find prices, either generally or for specific buildings, on their website? I have this feeling that they were overpriced but now I can't remember how I got that feeling since I'm having non luck with their website today. Thanks!

http://harvardlive.yardiportaln.net/Doc ... osting.pdf

sayan

Postby sayan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:55 pm

Great meeting all of you guys. No regrets about depositing early :D

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:37 pm

where can I address the envelope containing my deposit? ^_^

s419

Postby s419 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:48 pm

nixxers wrote:where can I address the envelope containing my deposit? ^_^

There's an envelope in the acceptance packet, here's how it's addressed:
Admissions Office
Harvard Law School
AUstin 203
Cambridge, MA 02138

It also says "Acceptance/Deposit Envelope" on the bottom left corner.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:59 pm

s419 wrote:
nixxers wrote:where can I address the envelope containing my deposit? ^_^

There's an envelope in the acceptance packet, here's how it's addressed:
Admissions Office
Harvard Law School
AUstin 203
Cambridge, MA 02138

It also says "Acceptance/Deposit Envelope" on the bottom left corner.

thank you! yeah i dont know where I put my packet, and Im sending in a deferral request anyway blah blah. appreciate it!

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:38 am

Can somebody give me a narrative rundown of how the admit weekend went? I wasn't able to fly out, but I'd love to know what people's general impressions were. How did the school compare to what your preconceived notions were? Did you enjoy yourself there?

goreman

Postby goreman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:31 am

notanumber wrote:Can somebody give me a narrative rundown of how the admit weekend went? I wasn't able to fly out, but I'd love to know what people's general impressions were. How did the school compare to what your preconceived notions were? Did you enjoy yourself there?

I, too, would like to see if any of you who went to the ASW could give some insights, observations, etc. for those of us who couldn't make it. Thanks in advance.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 am

notanumber wrote:Can somebody give me a narrative rundown of how the admit weekend went? I wasn't able to fly out, but I'd love to know what people's general impressions were. How did the school compare to what your preconceived notions were? Did you enjoy yourself there?
Saturday started with registration, at which we were given HLS shirts. People who came early enough could get campus and or housing tours. The campus is fairly nice (keep in mind, my standards are low after years of seeing horrendous 1960s and 1970s architecture at my undergrad). A lot of red brick, as well as a nice neo-classical looking library. The housing was nothing much to look at, but seemed livable enough. Gropius is a fairly standard dorm, with single occupancy rooms and common bathrooms. North is a converted hotel (and an ugly one at that), with standard Holiday Inn style rooms (bed, desk, bathroom). Hastings has two bedroom suites, with what was called "Harvard style" decor, which apparently means lots of wood and old furniture.
After that there was a lecture by Professor Zittrain on the future of the Internet. Zittrain brought up some interesting points, and also referenced the Simpsons a good deal, which is always appreciated. Then there was a reception with current students, at which I met no current students but a good amount of cool 0Ls and talked to JR, who is a very nice guy. There was also free wine and Sam Adams.
Went bar hopping that night, but that was an optional activity.
Next morning there was a student life panel and a financial aid panel. I didn't find either of these too interesting, as there was not much new information (aside from the fact that HLS students are big on costume parties). General impression from student life: law school is hard, but fun. From financial aid: law school is expensive, but you'll either pay it off with a firm job or with LIPP. Either way, you should be done with your debt in 10 years. The exception to this is if you get a clerkship, which is not LIPP eligible unless you commit to a LIPP eligible job for the next year. However, you can get a forbearance and make interest-only payments for the year of the clerkship.
Lunch was with current students, who generally seemed to be a happy, intelligent bunch.
The afternoon included faculty speakers, a mock class, and Q&A with Dean Minnow. Can't tell you much about the speakers, because I used this time to take a much needed nap (red-eye flights are a bitch). I was in Professor Sullivan's mock class, on Terry v. Ohio. I found the class interesting and engaging. Sullivan is a humorous fellow, and unlike Warren he didn't cold call (though I hear Warren was absolutely awesome). During the Q&A, Dean Minnow rather politely argued that Stanford and Yale were inferior to Harvard based on size (the argument being that at Harvard you can study absolutely anything that interests you, and there will likely be a faculty member and other students with similar interests).
After 5pm, there was a student org. fair, followed by dinner with student orgs, and a party at Tommy Doyle's hosted by HL Central. There was a great variety of student organizations at the fair, including a good number of journals. I went out to dinner with the International Law Journal, who are a very nice crowd. One of the things that struck me about the weekend was the international feel. I met people from South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Ghana, New Zealand, Canada, and another Irishman (not from Dublin like me, but nobody is perfect). The party at Tommy Doyle's was fun. I got buzzed and discussed the repercussions of colonialism in West Africa. The prospect of three years of drunken intellectual discussions greatly appealed to me.
Monday included panels, a class visit (which I skipped due to exhaustion), and lunch with faculty. I attended the panels on private sector careers and clerkships, and had a friend sit in on the clinical programs panel. The private sector careers panel was nothing to write home about, but it was reassuring about the prospect of finding jobs in the current economy. Clerkships was interesting, as apparently clerking no longer requires stellar grades as much as a commitment to getting a clerkship. From what I heard, the clinics panel was interesting too. HLS has a lot of clinics, so gaining practical experience in an area you are interested in is definitely doable. Had lunch with a Professor Brewster, who focuses on International Law and International Trade. She came across as extremely knowledgeable and helpful, as did all the other faculty I had a chance to interact with.
Once all that was done, I hung out on the square for a bit and bought an overpriced Harvard shirt, then took the T to the airport. The T was pretty sweet. It made it very easy to get from my accommodations in downtown Boston to Harvard, and to and from the airport. My only complaint would be that you can't count on trains after 12:30am.

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks so much for the writeup! Now I don't feel so ignorant about the ASW.

knola002 wrote:Saturday started with registration, at which we were given HLS shirts.

Seriously? Darn it!

knola002 wrote:I met people from South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Ghana, New Zealand, Canada, and another Irishman (not from Dublin like me, but nobody is perfect).

Did they seriously fly in from all those countries just for the ASW? :shock:

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:13 pm

Interesting phenomenon. Since I decided on Harvard and it sort of "got out" (i go to a really small school) that that's where I'm going I've had at least 3 really enthusiastic freshmen and sophomores approach me asking for advice on how to best position themselves for lawl skool. Has anyone else experienced this? lol I'm so not used to it... I just tell them to keep their grades up, do extra stuff they have time for and wont hurt their grades, and worry about the LSAT junior spring/summer and consider taking time off...:shock:

it's weird. lol.

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:24 pm

nixxers wrote:Interesting phenomenon. Since I decided on Harvard and it sort of "got out" (i go to a really small school) that that's where I'm going I've had at least 3 really enthusiastic freshmen and sophomores approach me asking for advice on how to best position themselves for lawl skool. Has anyone else experienced this? lol I'm so not used to it... I just tell them to keep their grades up, do extra stuff they have time for and wont hurt their grades, and worry about the LSAT junior spring/summer and consider taking time off...:shock:

it's weird. lol.

I'm teaching English in Korea and everyone here is obsessed with "prestigious" education. My Korean co-teachers told the students that I am going to Harvard. Now every class all the students say, "Teacher genius! Teacher very genius! And handsome!"

How can I not love my job! :D

Zara

Postby Zara » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:04 am

cflames7 wrote:
nixxers wrote:Interesting phenomenon. Since I decided on Harvard and it sort of "got out" (i go to a really small school) that that's where I'm going I've had at least 3 really enthusiastic freshmen and sophomores approach me asking for advice on how to best position themselves for lawl skool. Has anyone else experienced this? lol I'm so not used to it... I just tell them to keep their grades up, do extra stuff they have time for and wont hurt their grades, and worry about the LSAT junior spring/summer and consider taking time off...:shock:

it's weird. lol.

I'm teaching English in Korea and everyone here is obsessed with "prestigious" education. My Korean co-teachers told the students that I am going to Harvard. Now every class all the students say, "Teacher genius! Teacher very genius! And handsome!"

I teach in Japan and while students here in the countryside are not as focused on schools outside of Japan, my vice principal likes to tell every single person who comes into our office that I'm going to Harvard...and I mean everyone, including the electrician. At first I thought it was funny and cute but now i find it kind of embarassing.

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:07 am

Zara wrote:
cflames7 wrote:

it's weird. lol.

I teach in Japan and while students here in the countryside are not as focused on schools outside of Japan, my vice principal likes to tell every single person who comes into our office that I'm going to Harvard...and I mean everyone, including the electrician. At first I thought it was funny and cute but now i find it kind of embarassing.

lol @ Asian cultures.

P.S. I am Asian.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:46 am

Zara wrote:
cflames7 wrote:

it's weird. lol.

hilariously credited depictions of Asian cultures :D

lz06

Postby lz06 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Last edited by lz06 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:
cflames7 wrote:

it's weird. lol.

hilariously credited depictions of Asian cultures :D

+1. at least it's essentially neutral third parties bragging about your accomplishments. mine's a lot more awkward and embarrassing. my dad works it into conversations w/ strangers...in horribly unsubtle ways. it'd be like "how's the weather? pretty nice. like my son getting into harvard law" -- o.O lol

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:16 pm

I didn't have many preconceived notions, but I enjoyed myself more than I expected to. I have a very sensitive douchedar, but there were very few people who set it off. The admits were generally down-to-earth and approachable. I was particularly impressed with how fun the actual HLS students were. I totally hit it off with the people from the Environmental Law Review and had a fantastic time at the HLS Lambda dinner and party (though it ended really early, lol). I was also really impressed with the professors I saw. Zittrain had an engaging lecture and Sullivan was great too.

I went to Zittrain's torts class on Monday. There were about 70-80 people--the typical section class size. It was really loud with everyone talking to each other before class, carrying on with their friends. The current students were friendly and approached me, asking what I thought of the place. The lecture was awesome--at one point we were watching youtube videos of campy 70s horror films to talk about product defects. His style was to cold call a person at the beginning of class, then go back to her throughout when no one was raising his or her hand or when he wanted to move to a new point of discussion. I personally don't mind cold calling at all, since I experienced that all the time in undergrad, but, for what it's worth, he pushed her while staying respectful. His method was largely Socratic, but people were raising their hands so much that it didn't require much cold calling or bothering of that girl. There were also no laptops allowed in the class, which apparently encourages discussion. Overall, I found the class really interesting, and I was really sad to have to leave in the middle to catch a flight.

If anyone has more specific questions, ask away.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:18 pm

knola002 wrote: I went out to dinner with the International Law Journal, who are a very nice crowd. One of the things that struck me about the weekend was the international feel. I met people from South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Ghana, New Zealand, Canada, and another Irishman (not from Dublin like me, but nobody is perfect). The party at Tommy Doyle's was fun. I got buzzed and discussed the repercussions of colonialism in West Africa. The prospect of three years of drunken intellectual discussions greatly appealed to me.

Is it very international? LSAC profile says only about 3% from foreign nations so this suprises me. Weird thing is that while I'm international, I really don't want to go to a school with an international feel.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”