In at Harvard!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
exeunt
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby exeunt » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:55 pm

does anyone know how we can change emails to be sent from @law.harvard.edu instead of @jd13.law.harvard.edu?

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:57 pm

Lysis wrote:
managamy wrote:I was under the impression that applicants generally don't get accepted at 2 or more of HYS, though. Have other people heard the same thoughts?


My casual perusal of LSN left me with the impression that Harvard was the most predictable (based on numbers), whereas Yale required the same numbers + something extra. So many Yale admits got into Harvard as well if they applied. I'm not sure about Stanford.


I like the way you phrased that sentence, rather than saying that many Harvard admits got into Yale as well if they applied. :)

From what I've heard, Stanford is less predictable than Harvard but more predictable than Yale. The "same numbers + something extra" theory sounds right to me. It's the "something extra" beyond statistics that's lacking from my app, I fear. :( But I'm not going to let it bother me after yesterday's news. :lol:

owhlcn
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby owhlcn » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:59 pm

agreed that on the predictability scale, yale < stanford < harvard. i think if yale called i'd have real trouble turning them down, though like others i'd have some serious visiting/thinking to do...

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:56 pm

Yeah thats true about predictability but I'm axing half it... haha got really lazy and haven't even applied to Stanford and Yale yet, and with a JR2 I probably won't even do Stanford anymore mainly cause:

1) Location of Harvard (SO, family)
2) Want to save $100

Anyone else stopping halfway through their other apps ? (or was I the only one who was such a procrastinator that I did apps in batches of 2 or 3 at a time... :P )

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Didn't tell my mom anything, just showed her the status check page with the "Admitted" post on it. She almost fainted. :lol:

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby nixxers » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:28 pm

(610): i just heard one Asian kid say to another, "i bet if i could get into Harvard i could get laid all the time, my brother lost his virginity the first night there."

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:25 am

95% sure im going to HLS. i mean, it is my #1 choice, even over Yale and Stanford.

5% depends on my SO; complicated mess right now, though she SHOULD end up in Boston, never know - may be NY, so then id most likely choose Columbia instead (if i get in).

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:43 am

DoubleChecks wrote:95% sure im going to HLS. i mean, it is my #1 choice, even over Yale and Stanford.

5% depends on my SO; complicated mess right now, though she SHOULD end up in Boston, never know - may be NY, so then id most likely choose Columbia instead (if i get in).


Pray that she ends up in Boston. Or pray that you don't get in to CLS.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:48 am

DoubleChecks wrote:95% sure im going to HLS. i mean, it is my #1 choice, even over Yale and Stanford.

5% depends on my SO; complicated mess right now, though she SHOULD end up in Boston, never know - may be NY, so then id most likely choose Columbia instead (if i get in).


Umm you have it easy... Boston -> NY isn't that far. My SO is in Canada (Toronto so on the border tho) so HLS or CLS would be a 7 hr drive.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:50 am

SolarWind wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:95% sure im going to HLS. i mean, it is my #1 choice, even over Yale and Stanford.

5% depends on my SO; complicated mess right now, though she SHOULD end up in Boston, never know - may be NY, so then id most likely choose Columbia instead (if i get in).


Umm you have it easy... Boston -> NY isn't that far. My SO is in Canada (Toronto so on the border tho) so HLS or CLS would be a 7 hr drive.


What is this sudden proliferation of SOs on threads throughout the forum? Am I the only single guy around here?? :lol: :wink:

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:50 am

managamy wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:95% sure im going to HLS. i mean, it is my #1 choice, even over Yale and Stanford.

5% depends on my SO; complicated mess right now, though she SHOULD end up in Boston, never know - may be NY, so then id most likely choose Columbia instead (if i get in).


Pray that she ends up in Boston. Or pray that you don't get in to CLS.


haha yeah, i definitely want HLS! but if i had to choose her + Columbia or HLS...well i know my own personal priorities. there isnt a crushing difference in job prospects coming out of CLS or HLS, but there'd be a crushing difference in my life if she werent in it :P

she still says im a moron if i dont go HLS haha

@SW: yeah true, but for some personal reasons, we wont be doing long distance. so more of an all or nothing haha, but i mean, our plans have it set up for Boston, just still room for mishaps :(

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
managamy wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:95% sure im going to HLS. i mean, it is my #1 choice, even over Yale and Stanford.

5% depends on my SO; complicated mess right now, though she SHOULD end up in Boston, never know - may be NY, so then id most likely choose Columbia instead (if i get in).


Pray that she ends up in Boston. Or pray that you don't get in to CLS.


haha yeah, i definitely want HLS! but if i had to choose her + Columbia or HLS...well i know my own personal priorities. there isnt a crushing difference in job prospects coming out of CLS or HLS, but there'd be a crushing difference in my life if she werent in it :P

she still says im a moron if i dont go HLS haha

@SW: yeah true, but for some personal reasons, we wont be doing long distance. so more of an all or nothing haha, but i mean, our plans have it set up for Boston, just still room for mishaps :(


She's smarter than you...maybe she should have applied to HLS. :lol:
But it's lovely that she means so much to you. Hopefully, I will say the same thing about someone someday.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:57 am

managamy wrote:
SolarWind wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:95% sure im going to HLS. i mean, it is my #1 choice, even over Yale and Stanford.

5% depends on my SO; complicated mess right now, though she SHOULD end up in Boston, never know - may be NY, so then id most likely choose Columbia instead (if i get in).


Umm you have it easy... Boston -> NY isn't that far. My SO is in Canada (Toronto so on the border tho) so HLS or CLS would be a 7 hr drive.


What is this sudden proliferation of SOs on threads throughout the forum? Am I the only single guy around here?? :lol: :wink:


Your single ? :shock: I thought that avatar was your SO lol.

And yeah DoubleChecks I would choose CLS + SO over HLS too... but sadly I don't even have that option haha

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:03 am

SolarWind wrote:
managamy wrote:
SolarWind wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:95% sure im going to HLS. i mean, it is my #1 choice, even over Yale and Stanford.

5% depends on my SO; complicated mess right now, though she SHOULD end up in Boston, never know - may be NY, so then id most likely choose Columbia instead (if i get in).


Umm you have it easy... Boston -> NY isn't that far. My SO is in Canada (Toronto so on the border tho) so HLS or CLS would be a 7 hr drive.


What is this sudden proliferation of SOs on threads throughout the forum? Am I the only single guy around here?? :lol: :wink:


Your single ? :shock: I thought that avatar was your SO lol.

And yeah DoubleChecks I would choose CLS + SO over HLS too... but sadly I don't even have that option haha


:lol: I wish...I'd still take a top-choice school over a second-choice school + my avatar though.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bluedolphins
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:31 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby bluedolphins » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:09 am

exeunt wrote:does anyone know how we can change emails to be sent from @law.harvard.edu instead of @jd13.law.harvard.edu?


I doubt it. I was looking at the my HLS website and I saw the student's email address there has jd11 in it.

exeunt
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby exeunt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:54 am

lame :( just curious because the email in my inbox was addressed to jdoe@law.harvard.edu

vyboxvybox
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby vyboxvybox » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:54 pm

As far as e-mail goes, I was interested because the intro e-mail from Harvard was to jdoe@law.harvard.edu, but our e-mails are jdoe@jd13.harvard.edu. Out of curiousity I tried sending a test email to from an external account to the address that Harvard used initially and no dice, return to sender. :cry:

On another note, has anyone found useful information about financial aid process for Harvard (aside from the information Harvard already provides)? Mainly I'm looking for people who have filled that stuff out in previous years and/or might have insight or anecdotes about the process.

I've been out of undergrad for a while, earning income, self-supporting, and have been independent from my parents for a long time. Even though I'll do whatever it takes to get to Harvard come August, the aid package will be a huge factor in my next three years.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Random thoughts to general questions asked:

I think the current email we have might be just a temporary one for Admitted students and not actual HLS students. If you notice in the email account it says this address will expire by Oct 2010, so perhaps they will switch it once the school year starts and you decide to matriculate at Harvard.

As for Financial aid, I've done a little research and its highly dependent on how old you are. I think there are age cut-offs (around 27-29?) where the amount of your parents asset gets counted at 75%, 50%, down to 0. Also the minimum loan package (i.e. almost required for everyone) seems to be at around 25K a year. However this is usually deferred education loans with low interest so they seem ok. Overall, actual grants don't seem that high, the Harvard website says approx. 10% of total tuition for HLS students is covered by Harvard grants.

User avatar
T14
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby T14 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:29 pm

SolarWind wrote:Random thoughts to general questions asked:

I think the current email we have might be just a temporary one for Admitted students and not actual HLS students. If you notice in the email account it says this address will expire by Oct 2010, so perhaps they will switch it once the school year starts and you decide to matriculate at Harvard.

As for Financial aid, I've done a little research and its highly dependent on how old you are. I think there are age cut-offs (around 27-29?) where the amount of your parents asset gets counted at 75%, 50%, down to 0. Also the minimum loan package (i.e. almost required for everyone) seems to be at around 25K a year. However this is usually deferred education loans with low interest so they seem ok. Overall, actual grants don't seem that high, the Harvard website says approx. 10% of total tuition for HLS students is covered by Harvard grants.



Harvard Law School requires parent financial resource information from all applicants for HLS Grant assistance who have not reached the age of 29 by September 1 of the applicable academic year. A parental resource assessment will be calculated using standard institutional need analysis policy, and then adjusted according to the following scale:

for students who are age 25 and below on September 1, the full calculated parental contribution will be used in determining eligibility for Grant assistance.
for students who reach the age of 26 before September 1, the calculated parental contribution will be reduced by 25%.
for students who reach the age of 27 before September 1, the calculated parental contribution will be reduced by 50%.
for students who reach the age of 28 before September 1, the calculated parental contribution will be reduced by 75%.
for students who reach the age of 29 (or above) before September 1, no parental contribution will be imputed, and the submission of parents’ financial data will not be required.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... arent.html

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Wow i'm amazed I recalled that so well after glancing at it like a month ago.

User avatar
Isa
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:03 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Isa » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:31 pm

T14 wrote:
SolarWind wrote:Random thoughts to general questions asked:

I think the current email we have might be just a temporary one for Admitted students and not actual HLS students. If you notice in the email account it says this address will expire by Oct 2010, so perhaps they will switch it once the school year starts and you decide to matriculate at Harvard.

As for Financial aid, I've done a little research and its highly dependent on how old you are. I think there are age cut-offs (around 27-29?) where the amount of your parents asset gets counted at 75%, 50%, down to 0. Also the minimum loan package (i.e. almost required for everyone) seems to be at around 25K a year. However this is usually deferred education loans with low interest so they seem ok. Overall, actual grants don't seem that high, the Harvard website says approx. 10% of total tuition for HLS students is covered by Harvard grants.



Harvard Law School requires parent financial resource information from all applicants for HLS Grant assistance who have not reached the age of 29 by September 1 of the applicable academic year. A parental resource assessment will be calculated using standard institutional need analysis policy, and then adjusted according to the following scale:

for students who are age 25 and below on September 1, the full calculated parental contribution will be used in determining eligibility for Grant assistance.
for students who reach the age of 26 before September 1, the calculated parental contribution will be reduced by 25%.
for students who reach the age of 27 before September 1, the calculated parental contribution will be reduced by 50%.
for students who reach the age of 28 before September 1, the calculated parental contribution will be reduced by 75%.
for students who reach the age of 29 (or above) before September 1, no parental contribution will be imputed, and the submission of parents’ financial data will not be required.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... arent.html


This seems inherently unfair - while my parents are currently paying for undergrad, I know for a fact that they will NOT be paying for law school.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby GeePee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:36 pm

SolarWind wrote:Yeah thats true about predictability but I'm axing half it... haha got really lazy and haven't even applied to Stanford and Yale yet, and with a JR2 I probably won't even do Stanford anymore mainly cause:

1) Location of Harvard (SO, family)
2) Want to save $100

Anyone else stopping halfway through their other apps ? (or was I the only one who was such a procrastinator that I did apps in batches of 2 or 3 at a time... :P )

If $100 is worth a kick-ass 3 day vacation to Palo Alto (ASW), then I'd probably take the chance on applying.

If not, it seems like you're good to go with HLS!

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:42 pm

GeePee wrote:
SolarWind wrote:Yeah thats true about predictability but I'm axing half it... haha got really lazy and haven't even applied to Stanford and Yale yet, and with a JR2 I probably won't even do Stanford anymore mainly cause:

1) Location of Harvard (SO, family)
2) Want to save $100

Anyone else stopping halfway through their other apps ? (or was I the only one who was such a procrastinator that I did apps in batches of 2 or 3 at a time... :P )

If $100 is worth a kick-ass 3 day vacation to Palo Alto (ASW), then I'd probably take the chance on applying.

If not, it seems like you're good to go with HLS!


Oh wow... I just forgot about the 3 day ASW... arghh I can't decide, I need to go through the whole Dean thing too if I want to apply to Stanford tho. Does Berkeley have a ASW? Maybe I can just settle for that

sfdreaming09
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby sfdreaming09 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Does SLS subsidize the cost of the ASW-related travel expenses or something?

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: In at Harvard!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:20 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:Does SLS subsidize the cost of the ASW-related travel expenses or something?


Most schools subsidize it somewhat.. Harvard gives you $50-150 depending on distance and provides housing.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”